main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Disney Gallery BTS Docuseries

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Fredrik Vallestrand, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    They also included no explanation for why they went with de-aging instead of deepfake. Just “deepfake looked really great, etc, but we decided to go with de-aging, which looked worse.” * [face_thinking]

*Not a real quote

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    Riv_Shiel and mackmitchell94 like this.
  2. mackmitchell94

mackmitchell94 Jedi Knight

Jan 15, 2016
    Yeah I don’t understand for the life of me, their deepfakes looked 99 % real if not 100 . They should just deepfake from here on out, the de-aging is the worse method IMO and looks fake . I saw the Irishman by Scorsese where they de aged De Niro and I always thought it looked wonky. Sure enough I saw a deepfake on YouTube that looked so much more real and it boggles my mind they didn’t just utilize that in the first place, especially with movie $$ behind it ?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    Grizzlor likes this.
  3. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Well they hired the deepfake guy shamook from youtube, so it stands to reason they'll use more deepfake from here no out. His Luke and Tarkin is say are flawless. I think when Luke enters the mandalorian or it's spin off again they'll use deepfake. I wonder if they use deepfake already on Andor, Kenobi and Book of Boba. all these three shows might show an legacy character they have to deepfake.

Grizzlor likes this.
  4. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Great, but I still don’t understand why it wasn’t used this time...

The AI is better than the human, in this case.

Grizzlor likes this.
  5. Grizzlor

Grizzlor Jedi Master star 1

Mar 14, 2015
    Not a clue. Favreau was marking out over the technology, but like you said, didn't use it. Had a guy literally spend weeks on it, nope. I don't get it. Has to be a less time-consuming work than the de-aging.

Not sure there's a reason to de-age on those series. Which characters are you thinking? Andor is a prequel but Diego Luna hasn't aged that much.

6. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Well Andor will must likley have Tarkin in it like Rogue One. Rumor has it we might see Kenobi. In Kenobi it might be used for Kenobi and Hayden in flashbacks. We might see Kenobi as a padawan again with Qui gon. Book of boba use if they want to do Jango flashback, and if they do another big OT this time Han Solo.

whostheBossk likes this.
  7. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    I hope Tarkin or Krennic are used sparingly and do not show their faces...and therefore no need for deepfake.

The "reveal" of Tarkin in RO after seeing him in reflection only for a bit was great. This would be a bit undermined by regularly seeing them.

But also...in an Empire, these characters are meant to be massively removed from action on the ground. By not having the Andor and co get anywhere near them, the oppression is made more obvious.

RetropME, Riv_Shiel and Bor Mullet like this.
  8. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I bet we will see the empire have focus too like how clone wars did with Dooku and Grievous. This is a spy thriller, and they have focus on both parties. Also we will no doubt get more deepfakes in these shows like Andor. Krennic makes sense sense to show up, Tarkin will probaly show up in premiere and Finale.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  9. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    I was very surprised to learn that Luke's voice was completely synthesized, and very disappointed that they put so much work into a better deepfake and then threw it out for de-aging instead

10. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

GunganSlayer and RetropME like this.
  11. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Again we don’t know that LFL’s original deepfake did actually look better than what we ended up with. We only saw little WIPs, or static shots that when out into a full scene looked worse.

It’s possible that it wasn’t up to snuff hence why they hired the YouTube guy.

12. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Deepfake will probarly be used more now, lets see how indy 5 does it.

13. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yes, they'll probably use more deepfakes going forward, but as @AndrewPascoe said, that doesn't mean that a deepfake would have looked better at the point when they created Luke last year. What we saw of it in the BTS was very rough and only a test. It's impossible for us -- based on the information we have available -- to know whether their deepfake would've looked better or worse than the finished product. Most likely it looked worse, which is why they opted for CGI de-aging as opposed to deepfake technology.
    The CGI de-aging also had the added benefit of being able to use Hamill's facial expressions as a basis, and not just the younger stand-in actor.

However with the recent hire, and the advancement in deepfake technology, it's more than likely that they're going to use deepfakes for de-aging in the future.

Also, @Fredrik Vallestrand - maybe don't post spoilers for unrelated movies all the time.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    It’s a little confusing, though, because even the rough test you reference (the deepfake) seems to look a lot more convincing than the final de-aged look. So if it’s just a rough test, and it looks that good, wouldn’t it be reasonable to presume that a finished deepfake would...look even more convincing? I don’t know. Asking seriously.

15. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'll have to go back and look at the docu again, but if I'm not misremembering we never get to see any final result, just very rough material, which, yes looks like it could look better than the final result, but a lot can happen between between the test stage and final render. It's not just the likeness that needs to be there, it's also lighting, grain, sharpness, color and movement. Maybe somewhere there is where it failed?
    Again, I'll have to go back and watch it again.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  16. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I suppose that the reason is that they person at LFL doing the deepfakes did not feel completely comfortable with the whole process, so they did just a proof of concept, but then resumed to do it in CGI, which is what they were more used to do.

I suppose that then they started searching for someone really skilled in deepfakes, and ended up hiring "Shamook", who has experience with it (https://www.youtube.com/c/Shamook/videos)

It is interesting to see his comments on his deepfake Luke: "Unfortunately there isn't much I can do to improve the animation/mouth syncing, if I had acess to the body double footage before they applied the CGI, deep fake would be a definite improvement. Hopefully they release some behind the scenes footage eventually so I can give that a try. Also, I only had 4 days spare to do this deepfake before the holidays, I'm not 100% happy with the quality but here it is anyway. Enjoy!"

I think that now, with the LFL tools, time and access to the original footage, he can do much better deepfakes.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  17. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    It was great to see and hear Mark's reactions and opinions. The man is a treasure. As a Star Wars fan, I'm always thankful to Mark Hamill for his kindness and generosity towards the franchise and especially towards us fans.

18. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Totally agree. What a wonderful individual. As long as he feels comfortable with it, I hope he can continue to be involved with many Star Wars projects in the future (in whatever capacity).

19. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    After finishing both season 1 & 2 BTS, I think it's amazing the work they did. So much goes into each episode which opens your eyes and makes you appreciate the process, even if the episode wasn't your favorite.
    Having the roundtable discussions made me pay close attention to each individual. And even seeing the reactions to others comments was a real treat.
    Seeing the breakdown of how they did Grogu is great. The Krayt Dragon stuff. And how Ahsoka was chosen to announce Grogu. I love Rosario and glad she got the part. I think she was great. It was my six year old son's favorite episode.
    Boba Fett being back! And the director Rodriguez talking about how he reenacted the scenes wearing his son's costume and using his action figures for an animatic was wonderful! Jon and Dave were like " you used action figures? "That's awesome!" And he said " these are my people".

Bor Mullet likes this.
  20. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Just finished watching the Disney Gallery episode for The Book of Boba Fett. Another really good look at the behind the scenes; Tem is just such a delight. I could listen to him talk about playing Boba all day.

What's clear from hearing what Favreau says about the series is that he never really considered this as its own show; it really was The Mandalorian season 2,5 from the start. I mean, that's pretty clear from watching the actual show as well, but it's interesting regardless.

My favorite bit was the Luke stuff; it's always wonderful to see Mark Hamill return to play Luke. He seems to absolutely love this new process.

21. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    I haven't watched the whole thing yet, but this is a pretty cool surprise. I skipped to the Luke part because it interests me the most, and Dave Filoni confirmed an idea I've had about Luke for a while,
    that he's a successor in many ways, including as a teacher, to Qui-Gon.
    Hearing Filoni talk about Star Wars is very interesting, because he has fully transformed from student to master, and now speaks almost with the authority of Lucas.

22. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Happy Fourth, everyone! :yoda:

I just finished the new Gallery (aren't these things great?). There was a lot to like, but a couple of quick takeaways:

-First and foremost, and I've said this before: Tem is an absolute gem and perfect for the role.

-A neat little tidbit came up when talking about the development of the new rancor. Doug Chaing put it best: "I think the decision was 'Let's go all out.'" It was another confirmation to me that, even in a hit and miss business with sometimes mixed results, Lucasfilm does still come across as committed to things like saying "yes" and to problem solving, to providing resources and encouragement to their creatives, and to advancing growth and moving forward. These are all admirable qualities, reflective of the spirit of George Lucas and the principles and dedication of the people guiding the company today. I may not be in love with everything they've put forth, but I can't take that away from them. =D=

-The peek into the collaboration with Mark and everyone's embrace of him may have been the highlight for me. Watching Lucasfilm bring young Luke to life isn't just kind of delightful from a technical standpoint -- there were behind the scenes moments when I felt I could see by the look in his eyes how much it all means to Mark. I don't know, Hamill's given so much of himself to the role, and carried the legacy of the character with respect and grace for all these years, and he's personally given me so much joy as Luke Skywalker, that I guess the whole mutual admiration thing they've got going on now is where it's at for me. And not for nothing, Dave Filoni once again demonstrates that he gets Luke, and that brings me a sense of reassurance moving forward.

I could go on and on. Mostly, I was reminded of just how much of BoBF I really did enjoy. And in spite of a few personal feelings of ambivalence after the finale, the Gallery actually whetted my appetite for another go round. If Lucasfilm announces a Season 2, I think I'm there for it. :boba:

23. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Tem is an utter delight in this. I love how much he loves playing Boba Fett. Tem has so much zeal for the role and it seems life are large.

Trebor Sabreon and TCF-1138 like this.
  24. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    I hope we do see more krennic, because Ben is great. While I enjoy rouge one I did not enjoy him as a villain simply because they did not give him enough to do or put enough meat on the bone for him. I'd love for him to be used in the series more effectively.

Last edited: May 4, 2022
    Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  25. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Maybe it’s just the beard, but did Hamill seem to be more trim / fit in his interviews than in the behind the scenes footage? Maybe he’s working out as training for a role.

Robert Rodriguez’s speaking voice is so similar to Peter Bogdanovich.