main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V Doctor Aphra: An Audiobook Original

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Apr 23, 2020.

1. AdmiralTrench'sWebShooter

AdmiralTrench'sWebShooter Jedi Knight

Jan 8, 2020
    And yet they still somehow managed to hire the one voiceover artist in the business who can’t do a half-decent Christopher Lee. [face_thinking]

And you know what I mean. Jamie Chung is many magnitudes more well-known than anyone in Dooku.

As a big Aphra fan I’m very much looking forward to this personally btw, it doesn’t matter to me who the performers are - just worth reminding that, as Coherent Axe put it, Aphra probably won’t be voiced by someone's live-action fan-casting.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Who says they wanted someone to sound like Christopher Lee? They wanted a young Dooku, not just another Lee impersonator.

And Jon Hamm and Neil Patrick Harris are magnitudes more well known than Jamie Chung, yet they still did FACPOV.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  3. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    We're kind of getting into the whole "Alden as young Solo" debate. is it better to have an impersonator, or an actor who will bring a unique style to a character.

(Spoiler: The second.)

4. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    It's a bit much to write off any actor who has a striking resemblance voicewise or lookswise to another as someone incapable of bringing a unique style to a character.

5. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    That's why I said "impersonator" and not "people who just happen to look or sound like the character". Someone can look like the character or sound like the character while having their own take on them. An Impersonator literally attempts to mimic previous iterations as closely as possible.

6. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Then I'm not sure why the Solo comparison was brought in if that's what you meant. There were no impersonators in the running. Ingruber (an actor in his own right) was brought up due to his resemblance to Harrison. Yeah he did a Han impersonation on youtube but no one seriously thought he was going to be doing that for real if he got the part (unless the director asked him to).

7. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Ah, so everyone was rallying for Ingruber to play Solo was because of his stunning performance in Avalon High and not the literal Harrison Ford Impersonation that he is known for and the fact he played a young Harrison Ford before? I find that, well, pretty hard to believe considering how incredibly sparse his credits are and the fact he literally has a video called HARRISON FORD IMPERSONATION up on Youtube.

8. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    To be fair, I'll admit I'm probably a bit biased as I'm a fan of his work as Joker in the Telltale Batman games. It is true that otherwise his CV could use help, but to be fair it's a tough business and not necessarily indicative of his talent or lack thereof.

Outsourced likes this.
  9. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    And I'll be clear that I'm not knocking him as an actor. My whole point though is that the reason most people lobbied for him as Solo was due to his impression and his physical similarities. Hell, the first episode of Telltale's Batman wasn't even released until a few months after Alden was cast in the part.

10. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    The whole point is muddled now that it's clear Lord and Miller had completely different ideas about who Han should be for the film than what we got with Ron Howard. Alden's casting came from them. For all we know, if Ron had been there from the start, he might have gotten Ingruber or someone else entirely.

As for Aphra, I do hope they at least get an Asian actress to voice her as an Asian myself.

11. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I guess everyone forgot Anthony Ingruber played a young version of Harrison Ford's character in an actual Hollywood film, The Age of Adaline.

I don't think his impression is as great as everyone else seems to think, but he's not just some kid with a youtube video.

Mia Mesharad and sidv88 like this.
  12. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I didn't forget that at all.

13. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Well, I'm just surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet in the conversation. Seems a lot more relevant than a bit part in a Disney Channel film.

14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 10

Jul 19, 1999
    Audible is offering me another free trial, so if push comes to shove, I'm covered for getting this one.

15. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Chosen One star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Here's the cast with one little surprise:
    https://www.penguinrandomhouseaudio.com/book/636423/doctor-aphra-star-wars/
    Cast:
    Emily Woo Zeller as Doctor Aphra
    Jonathan Davis as Boba Fett
    Sean Patrick Hopkins as Luke Skywalker
    Sean Kenin as Triple-Zero
    Nicole Lewis as Sana Starros
    Carol Monda as Maz Kanata
    Euan Morton as The Emperor
    Catherine Taber as Leia Organa
    Marc Thompson as Darth Vader

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  16. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    If anyone would like to view the official announcement of the cast. Plus an interview with author Sarah Kuhn discussing the challenges and specific qualities of the adaptation.

And for anyone that wants to get a sense of narrator Emily Woo Zeller's work, she narrated Marie Kondo's book, but also the novels of the Poppy War by R.F. Kuang (who is of course a FACPOV ESB contributor).

https://www.starwars.com/news/sarah-kuhn-talks-doctor-aphra-an-audiobook-original

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Say, when is this supposed to be available in the UK and who's selling it please?

18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Thanks, Audible are offering me another free trial so good to know when to activate that.

LAJ_FETT likes this.
  20. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Chosen One star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    For those asking:

21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Paperback when? :(

Darth Corydon likes this.
  22. DarthBroox

DarthBroox Jedi Master star 3

May 22, 2003
    Agreed, even Big Finish, whose entire business is producing Audio Dramas, has stopped selling physical media.

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Wrong, Big Finish temporarily stopped sending out CDs, but have now rendered their warehouse covid safe and are working through the backlog of orders.

24. DarthBroox

DarthBroox Jedi Master star 3

May 22, 2003
    Ahh, OK, I must have conflated that will something else and misremembered. Thanks for clarifying.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Here's the news if you're interested:
    https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/big-finish-warehouse-to-re-open

Big Finish have played a blinder through all this. Closing the warehouse to protect their staff, reducing recording to protect their collaborators, all the while releasing MP3s as standard, whether you buy the digital version a bit more cheaply or the CDs.

The site is pretty dangerous for the wallet because they keep announcing upcoming cool projects.