main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Don't Cross The Streams! The Ghostbusters Franchise (Afterlife, Frozen Empire)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 28, 2014.

1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    So yesterday was Ghostbusters Day, and they confirmed that Jason Reitman and Gil Kenan are currently writing Ghostbusters 4, with the production title Firehouse, and it will pick up where Afterlife left off.
    They also announced an animated feature film and an animated series for Netflix. It's unclear if those will be in the same continuity as the main three (soon to be four) films, or Answer the Call, or Real Ghostbusters, or if they will be set in their own universe(s).

While I'm certainly not sad that we're getting more Ghostbusters, I must admit that I would have been fine if Afterlife had been the end of the series. After three decades of waiting, it was a wonderful and touching send-off to the characters and that world.

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I'll say this about GB4, if Murray doesn't want to do anymore, I would be fine with that. He needed to be in a third film, but not for other films.

PCCViking likes this.
  3. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    This is kind of touching.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Co-writer Gil Kenan has revealed that Ghostbusters 4 is set to release on December 20th next year.
    That's a lot closer than I expected. I guess they're pretty close to shooting then.

5. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
  6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Cool, I’ve been meaning to revisit that as an adult for awhile- especially after learning of JMS’s involvement.

Juliet316 and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This will substantially increase the value of my Granny Gross figure!

darth-sinister likes this.
  8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    All of those shows I generally consider "best" were in some ways stomping grounds of the writers/creators we liked later: Galaxy Rangers, Real Ghostbusters, Dungeons and Dragons...

Yodaminch and The2ndQuest like this.
  9. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
  10. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    It says that Prime subscribers have access to over 100 episodes; but how many episodes were there in the entire series?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
  11. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    147 including the Slimer! episodes

12. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    What is a "syndicated" episode? Just a repeat? I don't recall if I liked the Slimer episodes; outside of the one (I think) where Janine dressed up as a Ghostbuster.

13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Season two ran weekdays in syndication, while season three aired on Saturday mornings on ABC. This was in 1987-88. Both were new.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
  14. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I finally got around to watching Ghostbusters:Afterlife. Incoming hot take that a million people have already made! That was not a very good movie. The OG Ghostbusters movie was a hilarious unabashed comedy. Ghostbusters:Afterlife, by design, is not a comedy. It's a far more serious, sentimental movie with some comedic moments. Why would you make a sequel to a comedy and not make it the sequel a comedy? It's a bizarre choice.

Some might argue that the shift in tone is supposed to differentiate itself from the Ghostbusters 84 except that almost literally every five minutes the movie is throwing out a near fourth wall breaking reference that usually serves no in-universe purpose and is only there for the audience to say, "HEY!!! I REMEMBER THAT FROM THE FIRST MOVIE!!!" A demon sticking its arms threw a chair and trapping a character said chair, the teens finding a Twinkie in Ecto-1's glove compartment, the cop saying, "who you gonna call", the Stay Puff Marshmallow man, a character being covered in marshmallow, a.Slimer like ghost and the new Ghostbusters causing a bunch of destruction in an attempt to capture said ghost, a character putting on the colander that Rick Moranis wore, and the list goes on.

By the time the Afterlife gets to the third act they are straight up lifting plot points, whole lines of dialogue, even sets from the Ghostbusters 84.

Lastly Finn Wolfhard and Celeste O'Connor's characters have very little reason to be in this film. Finn's just there to fix up and drive Ecto-1 and I guess Celeste is there because they really wanted one black Ghostbuster in the movie. It kinda feels like you could take these two characters out of the film and it wouldn't change much.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The thing is, while it's a perfectly understandable read depending on when/how one was exposed to the film, GB1 isn't really a comedy (or, at least, isn't widely perceived as a comedy). It's a supernatural adventure with comedic elements. Its sense of humor is (generally, as there are exceptions depending on character) super, super dry. It was infrequently marketed as a comedy when it first came out because of the pedigree of the SNL cast SNL & Ramis's filmography, but was presented pretty straight on the whole. And you have one or two generations of fans that took it that way for decades- and they're the ones that made (and/or targeted) by the new film. The push to see/treat GB1 as a full-on comedy is a more recent phenomena, really.

It's effectively no different than most MCU films in that regards- you have one strictly comedic relief supporting character (Louis), a secondary main character whose occasionally silly in his earnesty (Ray) and some sarcastic quips from others. And that's about it. It's almost like calling Shang-Chi a comedy because of Awkwafina and Ben Kingsley's characters (but, I grant, not exactly the same).

But, generational perceptions aside, there is something to be said for each incarnation of GB taking a different approach. GB1 is dry and sarcastic, GB2 is more cartoonish & GBA is a family film. GBATC is the only incarnation that really took a full-on comedy approach to the material.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
  16. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I want the next installment: GBAOTC, where it's stilted romance with wooden dialogue that sets up a huge "mystery" that they never address the resolution to in any subsequent film.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  17. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I think we'll have to agree to disagree. Not only is Ghostbusters a comedy but it's often cited as one of the best comedy's of all time. I saw the original in the theater six times when I was eight years old and thought it was one of the funniest things I'd ever seen. I didn't think of it as a dry adventure movie. I will give you that it's not a traditional comedy in that it combines comedy, horror, and special effects spectacle but more than any of that it's a comedy. Ghostbusters frequently ends up on publications "best comedy's of all time lists". I don't think it ends up on best horror or best adventure movie lists and if it does it's likely not appearing on those list very often.

Getting back to Ghostbusters: Afterlife, there are few more things that don't add up.
    Ray at one point says that the old Ghostbusters HQ is now a Starbucks but the post-credit scene clearly shows that it is very much an abandoned fire station which still has the containment unit in the basement. Even if it was briefly a Starbucks, the idea that the Ghostbuster kept the containment unit in the basement is ridiculous. But hey it's also ridiculous that they kept the containment unit in an abandoned fire station!

It also doesn't make any sense to me that Phoebe doesn't know who her grandfather was. She never googled her name? Who among us hasn't googled their own name to see what comes up? Considering how uncommon her last name is Phoebe would've immediately learned about her grandfather. And even if she didn't put two and two together and realize that she's related to this person that showed up on her google search she'd at least learn about the Ghostbusters. Also, Phoebe and Podcast say the don't know anything about the Ghostbusters because they weren't alive back then but the events that transpire in Ghostbusters 1 and 2 would be huge historical events. They'd know about those events just like they know about other historical events that happened before they were born. Kids born after 9/11 know about 9/11. Kids born after the the Stay Puff Marshmallow man and the Statue of Liberty came alive and started walking around NYC would know about those events too! Nobody talks about this in history class in the Ghostbusters universe?

I also didn't buy that the other Ghostbusters wouldn't believe Egon when
    Egon told the rest of the Ghostbusters that the end of the world was coming. They saved the world twice but when Egon warned of another end of the world threat they didn't believe him? No way. I don't buy it. And if they didn't believe Egon why didn't Egon email them the ample amount of proof he found?

And then there's Egon's relationship with his family. He turns
    his back on his family all in the name of protecting them from harm, and yet doesn't factor in the harm he did by turning his back on them? I don't feel like Egon would do that. I just don't like the idea that he would treat his family like that even if it was all to protect them.

18. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I want the next GB installment to be an all female-centric one. That's bound to be extremely popular.

19. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Ahsoka's Tano Agree especially if they type cast to fit the original cast. That will work fabulously!

20. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    No offense, but I was being sarcastic.
    [​IMG]

I'm content with the cast how it is. I would like to see both Dana's and Jeanine's characters having more prominent roles in the sequel movie though.

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The Containment Unit cannot be simply moved. Unlike in TRGB, where the ghosts could be removed safely, Egon clearly states that any disruption to the protection grid would be disastrous. As to what Ray said, we can take it as a lie, to keep it safe. Or a half truth.

Spengler is a common name. It's European. Also, you assume that she would be interested in Googling her name. She takes after Egon with her scientific curiosity, but also being different from your typical kid. Trevor might be more inclined, but that assumes that he might. It’s not a given.

As to the careers of the GB's being taught in school, it is doubtful. Maybe in college classes, especially in Manhattan. But not in elementary and high school. 9/11 is talked about thanks in part to the war that followed. The 80's incidents wouldn't be celebrated in the same way.

This was after the activity stopped. In the 80's, there had been massive spikes in PKE readings both times, yet he had none this time. The river of slime was gone. Afterwards, I believe he felt so ostracized by what happened ten years before his death, he didn’t think Ray would listen.

He was probably very aware. But given the work he was doing, I don't think he was around much to begin with. Callie appears to be old enough that they rarely spent time together, during the 80's. We know that he was living in the fire hall full time in both films. Peter didn't in the second film. Ray indicates that he wasn't anymore by the time Egon took the equipment and left.

Also, the POV is different. The film focuses on three generations of characters. The legacy characters are the same as we left them. The new characters would have to be different by design. Likewise, the tone would be different as well.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

[face_laugh]

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  23. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Ghostbusters 4 is set to start production in the UK(?!) next month, and the rusted Ecto-1 used in Afterlife was spotted at Glasgow Prestwick Airport the other day.

24. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Ghostbusters 4, codenamed Firehouse, started principal photography today.

Take this with a grain of salt, but some sources have posted this as the basic storyline:
    "After the events in Oklahoma, the Ghostbusters team returns to where it all started; New York City! The Spengler family story continues with a new group of Ghostbusters led by Winston Zeddemore (Ernie Hudson) and Ray Stantz (Dan Aykroyd)."

Some sources, including IMDb, are also calling the film Ghostbusters: Hell's Kitchen.

TiniTinyTony, Luke02, Sarge and 3 others like this.
  25. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    That's terrific news!

*hands over candy bar*

You've earned it.

solojones likes this.