main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dr.Who

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Darth_Daver, Mar 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Neither am I, but that is the deal I have struck with dearest mother, soaps and then Doctor Who.[face_laugh]

2. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Willy Wonka on ITV until the kids are in bed, I'll watch the Dr on SKY+ once their settled with a nicely chilled ale or three

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If you have Sky then you might want to set the Sky+ to catch Dr Who Confidential and Dr Who Greatest Moments. Both are on BBC Three from 7:55 pm - 9:30 PM.

4. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    Nice ending. I liked how the 10th didn't wanna die. was very sad.

Get yourself to the official doctor who page, new trailer and it looks goooooooood. Bring on Moffet's WHO

5. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    They were right about the "He Will Knock Four Times" business. I really didn't see that one coming.

Some interesting things on the new trailer.

1) His new catchphrase seems to be "Geronimo!". As we've already seen from his scene in the The End of Time part 2.

2) Dalek appears in new trailer. Looks a lot more like the old style rather than Time War era.

3) The Doctor seems to be a bit more violent in this incarnation. Sword fights, guns, punching people.

4) The Weeping Angels are back! SWEET!!!!!

6. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It was a good episode, if a little long.

The Time Lords' return was short-lived and not permanent, which I was pleased about. I was thinking RTD would revert everything back to how it was before he started, but it seems not.
    Timothy Dalton was very good as the Lord President, weilding the might of the Hand of Omega to defy The Master.
    Exactly why The Doctor said "Rassilon" I'm not sure. Rassilon was one of the founding Time Lords, he was long dead by the time of The Doctor.

Interesting that the fate of The Master was not revealed, suggesting that he may return at some point in the future.

Bernard Cribbins was very good as Wilf, suprising that he ended up being the one responsible for The Doctor's demise.
    That was the bit I found a little drawn out. After absorbing all that radiation he then went swanning around to bid farewell to people he's likely to still be seeing again in his new incarnation (except maybe Rose and hopefully never Donna again). His body changes but who he is does not.

Tennant did wonderful service as The Doctor, arguably the finest since Tome Baker & Jon Pertwee. It's sad when a long running and popular Doctor goes, but that is the nature of the show and I'm sure Matt Smith will do his best with it.

7. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Very drawn out and melodramatic ending. Five minutes of Time lords and fifteen of mush. Though I found Tennant's final line unexpectedly moving.

I was very much enjoying the dilemma the Doctor was facing when he had to decide whether to shoot the Master or Rassilon. That was gripping stuff, and while I don't know how they could have resolved it otherwise, I was stunned at how cheap a cop-out it was to just shoot the diamond instead.

8. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    In general it was a cop-out, in any other show. But its the Doctor, he NEVER would of shot either of them. Thats his character.

I found this episode to be AMAZING. I was crying from The Master's sacrifice to the end credits. Utterly destroyed me.

Everyone got the ending I wanted to, and even Rose wasnt all annoying and lovey-dovey! Martha's engament/marriage to Tom Milligan obviously didnt work out though lol

Loved it loved it LOVED IT!

9. Winged_Jedi

Feb 28, 2003
    Sorry, I should have been clearer. I wouldn't want the Doctor to actually shoot either of them, you're right, it's not his character.

I meant that it was awfully convenient that he could just shoot the diamond instead to obtain the exact same outcome. If that's the case, why did he get all angsty over who to shoot- why didn't he just shoot the diamond in the first place?

10. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    He was fighting his inner demons. This is a guy who wiped out his own people and their homeworld and made various bad decisions (look at the end of Waters of Mars), there are a lot of reasons why he'd want to shoot The Master or The Lord President.

11. Winged_Jedi

Feb 28, 2003
    Oh yeah...good point. I was thinking that he just wanted to close the connection at all costs, it didn't even occur to me that he was considering shooting them for more vengeful reasons.

12. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    I thought the last 15 minutes of goodbyes was the best part. Very well done, especially the goodbye to Rose.

All-in-all these specials have been disappointing but I look forward to a fresh new start in the spring.

13. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    One of the things I liked about the specials was the one-off companions. The story became about The Doctor as it should do and not tedious companion backstory involving an annoying family constantly being revisited.

14. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Yeah some of the specials worked better for me than others. I didnt like 'The Next Doctor' but I loved 'Planet of the Dead' and 'The Waters Of Mars'

EOT pt1 was nearly ALL set-up and so dosnt work without EOT pt2. Its the middle of a trilogy (with WOM being the start)

Apart from Rose, I never really minded any of the Companion's family stuff. Martha's was cleverly tied into the Saxon story and of course now we know Donna's was integral to the 10th Doctor's life.

Rose's was integral to her personal story, but nothing that effected the Doctor really. I really think Rose's two series were nearly all about her and not much about the Doctor. Martha, despite having the family involved, brought it back to being about the Doctor and his race and his life ater the time war.

15. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Well, I'm off to Cardiff this weekend to visit a friend and have a tour of all the Dr Who and Torchwood locations!

16. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
  17. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Only the external stuff lol!

18. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Lol

I'm not sure I could actually find the Torchwood HUb location if I went to Cardiff.

19. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    That's the easiest one to find lol

20. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    You won't find the entrance to the hub, as it was destroyed. Remember. 8-}

21. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    yeah, but timey-wimey wibbly-wobbly stuff :p

22. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    The Dr Who site has the new teaser trailer up, for those who have not seen it yet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/newyear/

23. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    Don't happen to know what that teaser is called by any chance?
    BBC site doesn't work so well for those who don't have UK IP addresses :(

24. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDHjbKQ6H1s

25. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    April 3rd. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.