main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Nash, TN DVD Deals of the Day/Week

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by DVDMaster, Jul 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kir Kanos

Kir Kanos Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 1999
    BTW, has anybody picked up "Scene it? yet. Its the DVD movie game where you can become, "THE DVD MASTER. [face_laugh] I wanna be, I wanna be like ZAAAACH! I heard that the one by Mattell stinks, but the one by Screenlife is pretty good with options to purchase more DVD games. I also heard that Trivial Pursuit has one, but its "Pop Culture" DVD game, which means that its only the last 10 years and classics like Star Wars, Blade Runner & Indiana Jones are sure to be left out.

2. DVDMaster

DVDMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2003
    No, I haven't done any of the DVD board games, although there was a really cool looking one at Hastings (could have been "Scene It") one night that looked good, but it was near $50 and I didn't forsee getting to use it any time soon.

Can't believe that game companies are out there handing my title away to any Tom, Dick, and Harry (FYI, I also own the "DVDLord" TFN title as you may have seen in the SW quotes thread). A true test of DVD knowledge would include questions that relate to commentaries, featurettes, and other types of extras. Otherwise, it's just a movie trival pursuit that threw a DVD that will be incomplete to most movie lover's minds. That being said, I'd love to find one some day, hopefully on the clearance shelf. Can't wait for the extended LOTR set, The West Wing also makes its 1st season debut this Tuesday, but I didn't care for Tomb Raider 2 as much as the 1st so I'll probably skip on it (but may get it used one day).

3. TamboFett

TamboFett Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 8, 2003
    Ok the extended version of Two Towers comes out Tuesday right? What place is going to have the best deal? I can't wait for this one.

4. DVDMaster

Jun 25, 2003
    Now now Glenn, you have to wait until Sunday when the ads come out to find out the best price. Until that point the pricing strategies are considered "industry secrets." However the Master forsees the price will be best at either Best Buy or Sam's Club. Wait and see. I'll try to post sometime Sunday, but it may be as late as late Monday or early Tuesday since I'm doing the final phases of the moving thing and have a presentation on Monday night. Stay tuned...

5. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    I would have guessed Sam's Club too if not for the fact that I bought mine there last year and paid $27 for it. The lowest prices last time I believe were Wal-mart & Best Buy who both had it at around $23 or $24. Target was $25. Also, let us know if you hear anything about there being a movie ticket to ROTK in the Extended version please. :D

6. TamboFett

TamboFett Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 8, 2003
    Oh great DVD Master I know....but I can't wait!!!! Maybe Matt has them in his Video store and he can sneek me a copy...Can you tell I can't wait.

7. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    So What's the word on TTT pricing there DVD Master? BTW, I also saw a commercial for Tomb Raider II on DVD at Circuit City for I believe $15.99 .

8. DVDMaster

Jun 25, 2003
    I've been mucho busy with the move (thanks again Dylan :D ) and a big project for my class tonight, but here's a partial update that I'll flesh out more either today or tonight.
    LOTR: The 2 Towers SE Extended Edition: The 4-disc set is $24.99 at Target, Circuit City, and Best Buy. Sorry Scott, but all the research I've done, does not indicate a ticket for the 3rd flick. The movie cash program has been pretty dead lately with the exception of children's tickets. Also think of this, what ticket would they put in next year's extended edition box set???
    LOTR: TTT Extended Gift Set: If you want the above set plus a statue of Golum and a DVD about how they made the Golum figure then shell out $59.99 at Circuit City or Best Buy.
    Tomb Raider 2: The weaker Lara Croft sequel hits for $15.99 at Circuit City, and Target (?). Buy it for $17.99 at Best Buy and get a bonus DVD, "Go BTS with features including 'The Secrets of Lara Croft.'"
    The West Wing (Season 1): One of the greatest drama series in TV history hits the DVD market in a 4-disc set that includes commentary, gag reels, deleted scenes, and much more for $39.99 at Circuit City.
    The Santa Clause 2: Santa "The Tool Man" Claus returns fore $15.99 at Circuit City.

The only other thing to add to the LOTR Extended Set is that Wal-Mart &/or Sam's Club MAY have a better price, but someone needs to recon that first. Buy it at one of the locations listed above and save it in shrink wrap before this price is confirmed. Or force a price-match at Wal-mart. Last week WMT appeared to have a better price on T3 the first day and then jacked it up $1.35 for the rest of the week, so choose wisely.

I will return with a fuller update soon, just let me get caught up first. Don't forget to respond to the Christmas/New Year's Party thread. Looks right now like we'll try more for a New Year's Eve party on the actual night.

9. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    "The weaker Lara Croft sequel hits for...""

Says YOU. :p I actually liked it better than the first. Anyway, its Angelina Jolie Man! So you know that its ALL good. :D Unfortunately, as with most of the Hollywood babes, she has wrotten taste in men. Can you say Billy Bob Thornton?

10. DVDMaster

Jun 25, 2003
    Continued from above post for the week of 11/16/03 to 11/22/03:
    James Bond Collections Vol. 2 & 3: The 7 & 6 disc sets (respectively) are $69.99 at Target. If you buy 2 or all 3 sets then the price will be the same at Best Buy after a volume discount. (2 gets you $30 off and 3 saves you $50)
    Once Upon A Time in the West: the 2-disc set is $14.99 at Best Buy.
    Highlander (Season 3): The 9-disc set is $59.99 at Best Buy.
    The King of Queens (Season 1): The 3-disc set starring the lovely Leah Rimini is $29.99 at Target.
    A Christmas Story (SE): The 2-disc set of the classic tale of the Red Ryder BB gun is now packaged with a bobble-head doll of the kid for $17.99 at Target.
    Target's 2 for $20 (1 for $10): Titles include Office Space, Moulin Rouge (1-disc version), Sound of Music (same as before), Black Hawk Down (same as before), Drumline, I Spy, Grease (FS Version), Stand By Me, Tomb Raider 1, Ice Age, & Just Married.
    My Big Fat Greek Life: The entire series that just did meet its potential without John Corbett is $15.99 at Target.

Kir to each his own with Tomb Raider, although you were the 1st to point off the Indy rip-off. Myself I'll probably be tempted by tomorrow's release of Miss Spears' new album. That's the highlights for the week. Once again respond to the New Year's Eve party thread if you haven't already. Later!

11. GMSepiroth

GMSepiroth Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    WalMart does indeed have LOTR:TTT at the best price. $24.88

I also got a surprise in the toy aisle while I was there. Check out 'Toy Finds' to hear about it.

12. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    Unfortunately, as with most of the Hollywood babes, she has wrotten taste in men. Can you say Billy Bob Thornton?

Yeah, but she's single now. The line starts behind me. :p

13. DVDMaster

Jun 25, 2003
    Funny thing GM Mike, is that Wal-Mart doesn't seem to have the same price anywhere. While raiding the Madison Street (Clarksville) Wal-Mart I ran the extended version of LOTR under the price scanner (no price marked) and it rang up as $27 & someodd cents. Buyer beware if you go for Wal-Mart. I got mine at Best Buy tonight.

14. GMSepiroth

GMSepiroth Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    No, the REALY funny thing is that WalMarts do not price match other WalMarts???
    Maybe the $27 dollor price is the normal price and $24.88 is the sale and they didnt have it in the register yet. I had this problem just last night. I was getting a 2-pack of saline, normally $12+ but on sale for $8.04. The price wasnt in the system so I had to wait for a price check. The wait was breif but worth it for $4.
    Anywho... ya know even if it was $27 at Wal and $24 at BB, I still go to WalMart cause it is an hour drive to BB... besides it gives me another excuse for a midnight toy run.

15. obi-TN

obi-TN Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 7, 2003
    I've had this experience at Wal-Mart before. I got Monsters, Inc. at one store on the way to Chattanooga for like $10.88 when most stores had it for closer to $14.88. In Seattle, they had the BTTF trilogy for $27 when most places had it for closer to $35. Random stores seem to have random specials on new DVDs. I'm not sure if they are Tue-Sat or just one day. You can find extraordinarily good prices.

--Glenn

16. DVDMaster

Jun 25, 2003
    Well, I've been busy with a move this week, and I have an Internet connection problem for a little while. Thanks to my parents' computer I'm coming to you now. I figured y'all would be screaming for my blood wondering the best place to buy X-Men 2 from. But it appears that y'all must not care as much this week. Here's a brief recap of this Sunday's best ads:
    X2 (Collector's Edition) & Bruce Almighty: Circuit City had both of these titles for $14.99 on Tuesday. This morning the Hickory Hollow Wal-Mart had each DVD for $14.25.
    Mail Call (Best of Season 1): The old Gunny's back to answer your questions in this best 7 episodes from last season for $15.99 at Best Buy.

OK, that's the highlights of the new releases, here's an attempt to hit the best of the post-Thanksgiving Day ads. I'll list each story individually and let you make your own judgement calls.
    Best Buy: For $11.99 each: Charlie's Angels 2, The Italian Job (2003), Anger Management, 28 Days Later, The Lion King (SE), Chicago, The Simpsons (Season 1).
    5 for $25: (Must buy 5 for the deal) Fistful of Dollars, Hang'em High, For a Few $s More, The Good The Bad and The Ugly; The Great Escape, A Bridge Too Far, Patton, My Cousin Vinny, Road House, Kiss of the Dragon, When Harry Met Sally, Porky's, Men of Honor, Wall Street, Commando, Cast Away (1 disc version), Say Anything, Ronin, Big Momma's House, Young Frankenstein, & Spaceballs. They also off 25% off any regularly priced Family DVDs except for Disney.
    Target: The Lion King (SE) & Legally Blonde 2 for $11.88 each. For $12.88 each: PhoneBooth, Bringing Down the House, Kings of NY, The Recruit, Down With Love, Sleeping Beauty (SE), Chicago. Indiana Jones Set for $39.99, The Godfather & Scarface Sets for $49.99 each, Both extended editions of LOTR for $24.99 each.
    Circuit City: All CD's are $9.99 on Friday only. From 0600 - 1200 the following are each $12.99: Lion King (SE), Bringing Down the House, Chicago, Charlie's Angels 2. 2 for $20: Catch Me If You Can, 8 Mile, Ice Age, Spider-Man, Shrek, Gladiator, Black Hawk Down (1-disc ver.), The Ring, The Matrix, The Transporter, Die another Day (SE), Legally Blonde 1, Nat. Lampoon's X-Mas Vacation, Just Married, & A Christmas Story (not SE).
    Wal-Mart (from 6 to 11): For $11 each: the Lion King (SE), Daredevil, Bringing Down the House, Bend It Like Beckham, The Matrix Reloaded. All Day: Trival Pursuit DVD Pop Culture Edition for $26.88 (reg. $34.88).
    Sears from 6 to 11: for $11.99 each: Snow Dogs, Spy Kids, Imspector Gadget, & Father of the Bride 1.
    MediaPlay & Tower Records: Don't bother worrying about them, there's nothing to write home about here, plus MediaPlay is still on my personal "ban list" for this thread.
    TRU: For $9.99 each: Chicago, The Lion King, George of the Jungle 2, Sleeping Beauty, Piglet's Big Movie, The Jungle Book 2, Sleeping Beauty.

I'll be back when I get a break from moving. Please respond to the party thread if you haven't already. Happy Turkey Day!

17. DVDMaster

Jun 25, 2003
    Well, I'm still having problems with getting BellSouth out here as their computer seems to have a grudge against my phone number... long story, but thanks to a long modem cord, I can continue to post to y'all. For the week of 11/30/03 to 12/06/03:
    Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl: The 2-disc release of the best movie of the summer comes to you for $15.99 at Best Buy & Circuit City. For $25 at Best Buy you get the Pirates along with one of the following: Top Gun, Armageddon (1-disc ver.), Gone in 60 Seconds, Pearl Harbor (2-disc ver.), Black Hawk Down (1-disc ver.), or Remember the Titans (no, not the TN Titans).
    Alien Quadrilogy: The 9-disc set is $74.99 at Best Buy, Target, and Circuit City. The set includes (if you haven't read Scott's posts in the DVD thread): 4 discs with the original theatrical releases of Alien, Aliens, Alien 3, & Alien Resurrection plus the SE or director's cuts for each. 4 discs with all new, never-before-seen video features for each film. A Bonus 9th disc with even more new content. Totals over 45 hours of all new material.
    The Ben Stiller Show: Catch the entire run of this hilarious series including unaired episodes for $14.99 at Target.
    Alias (2nd Season): The drool inducing Jennifer Garner is back in a 6-disc set for $45.99 at Best Buy, Target, and Circuit City. Best Buy will knock $15 off when you also buy the $45.99 1st Season.
    Star Trek: Deep Space 9 (7th Season): the last series for DS9 arrives for $99.99 at Best Buy and includes a bonus disc with a profile of new cast member Nicole DeBoer, plus Mark Allen Shepherd talks about his unique nonspeaking role (Morn) and illustrator John Eaves covers designs created for the final season. Buy 2 seasons and save $40, 3 seasons saves $60, and 4 or more saves $100. Prices this week for the seasons are as follows - Seasons 1&2 are $99.99 ea., Season 3-5 $109.99, Season 6 is $106.99.
    To Live & Die in LA: The SE of this film is $12.99 at Circuit City.

Best Buy has placed several Tom Cruise flicks on sale for various prices, and several retailers are advertiseing X-Mas movies, but nothing too special so far. See y'all next week!

18. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    I found a better deal on Pirates of the Caribbean at Wally World ($14.92).

19. DVDMaster

Jun 25, 2003
    Thanks Dylan, now I know my trip to WMT won't be wasted tonight. I guess that's part of the advantages (price wise) to not regularly advertising prices.

20. DVDMaster

Jun 25, 2003
    Well, the Wal-Mart paradox stikes again. The Hickory Hollow WMT has a sign posted with the Pirates DVDs that says $15.25, but at the register (& the price scanners) the price came up as $14.25. By far the best deal (WMT) unless you needed one of Best Buy's 2 for $25 films. I decided Top Gun wasn't worth the extra $9-$10. All the others I either had or didn't care about.

21. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    Target had it for $14.99 . I also picked up season 2 of Alias and passed on the Allien Quadrilogy.

22. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    Seems like Top Gun should have a 20th Anniversary edition coming out before too long (released in 1986). Maybe they'll make a 2-disc special edition or something.

23. DVDMaster

Jun 25, 2003
    The DVD Community has long been waiting on at least an SE release of Top Gun. The 20th Anniversary may be when that classic gets the treatment it deserves. Of course they could have given us a 15th Anniversary edition in 2001, but they production team was probably too tied up at the time e.g. Pearl Harbor, Black Hawk Down, etc. Only time will tell.

Nevertheless, to get back on the DVD price format...it appears that Wal-Mart is the winner in the $14.25 to $14.96 range for Pirates of the Caribbean.

24. obi-TN

obi-TN Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 7, 2003
    Do you not remember posting in the DVD Thread that Paramount announced a SE of Top Gun for next year? This was when they had the big event for the Indiana Jones release.

25. DVDMaster

Jun 25, 2003
    Uh...Glenn, you fell for...my little trap, yes the Top Gun story was a test...that's the ticket, yeah.

D-Oh! I had honestly forgotten my own previous report. This just goes to show you the evils of grad school and home ownership. Thanks for catching my slip-up! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.