main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Episodes I-VI soundtracks to see remastered release May 4th, 2018!

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Seagoat, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Awful isn't it?

Always have to make my own from past releases:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    I don't think those look any better, personally.

3. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    It's tough to get things that don't look like mediocre fan art.

4. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Really?

Well then you'd have to take that up with Drew Struzan!

I don't know who came up with the title font for the SE's but I always liked it.

Of course anyone can patch in their own preferred logos.

I'd prefer some kind of art to just the titles and the movie poster art is quite good I think.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  5. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah it's not Drew's work that is the issue. It's the graphic design, the quality of the logos, how everything is fitted in... Drew is a master.

6. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Yeah. There's no questions about the art. The whole package it's used in just isn't inspiring enough, for me.

There's the problem of using a scene from ESB in the ROTJ design as well.

Tosche_Station likes this.
  7. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    So any new info on these? They release this Friday (I have TPM preordered, will order the rest spread out throughout the rest of the year), and there’s no track lists or anything.

8. Larsonator

Larsonator Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 20, 2016
    They’re just the original album releases but reconstructed from new masters they found or something. There’s a thread on John Williams Fan Network with some info about it.

9. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    I'll buy them but I wish they really went for it with the design, packaging and info. My 97 Double jewel CD case of TESB soundtrack is one of my treasured possessions. That's the kind of dedication JW's music deserves.

10. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    hmmm. This seems legit. Though obviously youtube uploads won't be quite as good as the real deal.

after a quick runthrough of the tracks, wow there is a lot to notice. My favorite bit so far is this bit of Coruscant Chase, including that elusive electric guitar. Augie's Municipal Band sounds different as well.

and omg yes they included the extended RoTS intro with war drums

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  11. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    sorry for the double post, but, um...UMMM

12. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Hmm, odd that they've re-added the war drums, but kept all of the other soundtrack alterations, like moving straight to the elevator scene, skipping Get 'Em R2, or the way the Boys Into Battle section starts without the slow drums section.

Makes this release feel like a kind-of pointless tiny step forwards.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    Jediking97 likes this.
  13. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Someone correct me if Im wrong, but this seems to be the first Star Wars soundtrack release where the amount of PT content is balanced with the amount of OT content. For that reason alone I will probably buy this. But I have also heard that this release contains Lepti Nak and Yub Yub, and I dont understand why they would do that.

14. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I would say that is wrong. There are not full complete releases for the PT films.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    What’s wrong with that?

16. Jediking97

Jediking97 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 24, 2018
    One good thing about this is the PT albums have more reverb to the sound quality, an improvement over the previous master tapes from the Sony releases. And I'm happy that the war drums have been added in ROTS, something I was a bit disappointed in when I bought the CD back in 2005.

17. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    But what I mean is that in this release the PT and OT content is pretty much almost equal (each PT movie and OT movie only has one disc), where as in previous releases the OT content was double, because they were using the same 1997 SE release which were two discs for each movie. And as you say the PT movies never got a complete two disc release (except for TPM Ultimate Edition and that was not included in future releases of the PT discs). The OT discs in this release are apparently essentially the same structure as they were when they were originally released (which I think explains the inclusion of Lepti Nek and Yub Yub) . It just always used to annoy me that subsequent releases of the Star Wars soundtracks had double the amount of OT material as the PT material. And that should annoy any prequel fan.

Because I categorically prefer the SE to the originals, and even if you prefer the originals, what is the point of having them on the soundtrack if they are not available on video?

18. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Historical purposes.

19. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    They're good songs that are fun to listen to

20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    This. And think of them like deleted scenes or extras like in the DVD/Blu-Ray releases.

21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I loathe Yub Nub and haven't listened to it since Victory Celebration came around in 1997.

22. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Wasn't going to get these but today I stopped in the local HMV store (CDs/DVDs). The chain is in administration here in the UK and they've got lots of stuff on sale. I found all 6 of these - 2 for £10. So i got the lot for £30 - which is about half price.

23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    That's crazy! Still waiting for new expanded scores for all the films... kinda wonder if they will wait now until after Episode IX...

Jedi Knight Fett and KyleKartan like this.
  24. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    I actually find them extremely distracting and prefer hearing the score as it was originally recorded. The war drums are so aggressive and completely ruin Anakin's Dark Deeds for me, an otherwise flawless track.

Howard Hand likes this.
  25. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    But the War Drums presumably are from the original recording, and were just edited off of the OST.

The War Drums versions of both the opening cue and Dark Deeds are present in the film too, it's the album versions that are the extraneous ones.