main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    This may also be helpful
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/its-not-a-toilet-its-a-fresher-star-wars-and-immersion.50014511/
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/constructed-languages-in-star-wars.50023736/

Ewok Poet likes this.
  2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Thanks, Gamiel. :)

Fellow writers, Cushy's system continues to hate the Wook. Is there anyone knowledgeable on various aspects of SW lore, creatures, ships, and such that's willing to help me ferret valid info for consideration in my Saga AU?

3. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    I'd be glad to help. I don't know that I'm super knowledgeable in all categories, but I'm a former librarian, so ferreting information is my thing. :D What kind of info do you need?

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  4. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Thanks, Raissa. :) I think this will be the last one for today: There is a very specific military uniform I have seen Sir don in a part that I would LOVE someone to break down and label all parts of his attire for me, please. This is because it's the uniform I want to use in my fic. I can provide pics.

5. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I can try to help, but when it comes to clothing, I'm not very knowledgeable. I will try my best, though.

6. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
  7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_rofl] Oh, the mental imagery. A Hutt with IBS. [face_rofl] Love seeing Cushy in "research mode." [face_party]

Ewok Poet likes this.
  8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Calling Gorefiend

Ewok Poet likes this.
  9. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    For all we know there are no bathrooms in the GFFA! ;) But I would guess they do just hit the fresher like everyone else. [face_dunno]They certainly shower and bath, so why not a toilet.

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  10. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Gamiel, thanks for directing me to the right person to ask.

Gorefiend, thanks. I was more concerned if their biology would result in different ways of dealing with well, that sort of waste.

11. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    What is the Naga like species called?

12. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Oh digestion is pretty similar in a lot of creatures, humans just get "potty trained", which I am certain is something other civilized creatures would also learn very quickly.

These?
    [​IMG]
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Thisspiasian/Canon

Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  13. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Yeah, those. Thanks. Really wish I could read the links. :(

14. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    [​IMG]

Cushing's Admirer, there are also the Sluissi (above.) They have the humanoid torso/snake-like body arrangement too. Though their heads are much stranger/more reptilian in looks.

Edit: Oops, saw you found what you were looking for!

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  15. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I like that one two, Kahara. I really would do this myself guys but my system hates the Wook's ads. :(

16. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

Would it help if I copied and pasted everything from the page, or saved it as a .PDF for you?

17. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Oh, yes. May I PM you a list and work with you on refining it?

18. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Of course, just add it to any of our existing convos (or let's have one single convo, as I have trouble following multiple ones at the same time). Whatever you need, I'll do my best...until you can reformat that can. :)

19. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Okay. You can delete the others and I'll start a fresh one and we can jump around in it. :)

20. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Trust me, we hate the ads just as much as you do, but Wikia, the company that hosts us, forces them on us. Wook admins have no control over them. However, creating an account eliminates many of the ads, and switching your preferences to the Monobook skin typically takes care of the rest. :)

Goodwood likes this.
  21. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Thanks, anyway.

22. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Monobook looks a helluva lot better than Oasis anyway. Oasis is butt-ugly on anything other than mobile devices...

jcgoble3 likes this.
  23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    there is also Slith
    [​IMG]
    The Slith were a sentient, serpentine, species native to the moon Yavin 13. They were a nomadic species, living in patriarchal tribes of up to fifteen individuals. They had little civilization and no permanent structures. The Slith were venomous, preferring to paralyze their prey before eating them live. They communicated with each other via a rudimentary language consisting of noises produced by rubbing their scales on the ground. Slith had little contact with the wider galaxy, remaining largely undiscovered until the reign of the Galactic Empire. During the Yuuzhan Vong War, their moon was wiped of all life, leading to their extinction.
    Contents

[show]
    Biology and appearanceEdit

The Slith were a limbless, serpentine sentient species, growing up to a maximum of five meters. They were covered in jagged scales, and were often patterned in stripes or spots. They had milky-white, translucent eyelids, through which they were able to see; this adaption protected their eyes from sand that was frequently whipped up by the strong winds on their desert moon. Slith were also equipped with venomous fangs with which to hunt prey. Their venom paralyzed their victims, enabling the Slith hunters to return live spoils to their tribe; Slith preferred to consume their prey live. Slith locomotion involved skimming over sand using a twisting action. Alternatively, the Slith could move sideways (known as sidewinding), and in this manner could attain greater speeds. This was particularly useful while hunting, allowing for intense bursts of speed to catch prey. It worked equally well to avoid hazards.[1] While lacking limbs, Slith were able to manipulate items using their coils and mouths, picking up rocks and spears. Slith also had forked tongues.[3]
    The Slith were nocturnal creatures, hunting for small lizards and other reptiles during the cool nights. During the hot day, they sought refuge in the shade of giant cacti or other convenient locations. The moon was known to reach temperatures as high as fifteen Galactic Standard degrees, so in the hotter summer months, Slith also burrowed deep into sand. This protected them from the worst of the heat while retaining heat for the nights, which could drop to near freezing.[1]
    Society and cultureEdit

[​IMG]
    Slith sheltered under giant cacti.
    The Slith were a nomadic species, creating no permanent dwellings on their homeworld of Yavin 13. An alpha male led a small tribe of Slith, of no more than eight to fifteen individuals.[1] In addition to the alpha male, tribes consisted of a "lieutenant" male,[3] several mating females with their young, and a couple of juvenile males. When these males came of age, they were exiled from the tribe to form a new family or wander alone. These tribes followed a patriarchal model, with the male responsible for guarding the community's traditions while the females did most of the actual work hunting. Juvenile males were also assigned to protect the young during these hunts. Among the females a Slith known as the First Mate had authority.[1]
    The Slith developed a grammatically simple language known as Slithese, the sounds of which were produced by rubbing their rough scales over the ground. A number of simple signals could be produced, which conveyed different meanings. The language could be learned by non-Slith also;[1] a number of Gerb—the second sentient species on the moon—learned this skill as a self-defense mechanism.[3] Slith lacked vocal chords, and so were unable to speak Galactic Basic Standard, and while they were able to produce some vocal noises, the unavoidable consequence of moisture evaporation discouraged this developing into an actual language.[1]
    The Slith had a number of complex communal ceremonies, which provided confirmation to offworlders of their intelligence.[4] These included praying for the spirits of dead ancestors and to desert gods worshiped by the Slith. This task was carried out by female shamans.[1]
    HistoryEdit

The Slith were still many centuries from developing industrialization at the time of the Galactic Civil War. They had little contact with the wider galaxy, and negligible contact with the Gerb; however, on occasion the two did cooperate. On such occasions, twilight lizards proved to be valuable commodities to trade with the Slith. The small reptiles were an excellent source of water and nourishment.[1] Yavin 13 had long been thought to be devoid of intelligent life, until an Imperial scouting expedition discovered both the Slith and the Gerb. At this time, there were approximately nineteen million Slith on the moon.[1]
    The Rebel Alliance also had some contact with the Slith, sending some negotiators to the moon to open relations with both species; however, the expedition was sidetracked when the Fernandin Scouting Expedition, which was also on the moon at the time, accidentally introduced a plague that threatened to wipe out the Gerb. When the plague threatened to transfer to Humans, the Imperial presence in the system considered bombarding the moon to prevent further spread. Preventing this massacre of the native lifeforms became the Rebels' priority over and against contact with the Slith.[1]
    A tribe of Slith also came into contact with the renowned treasure hunter Suz Tanwa. The Rodian was searching for an old family heirloom left by her ancestor Suvam Tan. Traveling to Yavin 13 in her starship, the Reeko, she located the burial site of an ancient pod left by her ancestor as a clue. However, in the site she began to dig, four Slith were resting. They quickly surrounded her, one finally wrapping her in his coils and delivering her to the mouth of a nearby Gerb burrow. The Gerb were able to retrieve the pod from within their burrow without Tanwa digging through their roof.[3]
    The Slith continued to live on the moon into the time of the New Republic, and their existence was known to the Jedi students on the neighboring moon of Yavin 4 in 22 ABY.[5] However, this peaceful existence was brought to an end during the Yuuzhan Vong invasion. As part of their efforts to crush the New Jedi Order, the Yuuzhan Vong invaded and conquered the Yavin system. In addition to razing the Jedi temple on Yavin 4, they wiped Yavin 13 and Yavin 8 clean of life—causing the extinction of the Slith.[6]
    Slith in the galaxyEdit

Warning: The following section contains information from a Star Wars Legends source that was released outside of the Lucas Licensing process, and its licensing status was never confirmed by Lucasfilm Ltd.
    While the Slith were largely unknown to the galaxy until discovered by Imperial scouts, one Slith was known to have left the moon far earlier: during the Great Sith War, a red-skinned Slith known as Sssiii was part of the Galactic Circus. While possessing only limited intelligence, the Slith entertained by playing chess against spectators. Sssiii was present with the Galactic Circus when they toured the planet Tatooine.[2]
    Unlicensed information ends here.
    One notable Slith during the Galactic Civil War was Dresk Kist. Both shaman and First Mate of her tribe, Kist also excelled as a hunter. She frequently went on solo hunts while the rest of her tribe slept. It was on one such excursion that Kist encountered a Rebel scout team that was exploring the moon for a suitable location for a base of operations.[1]
    Behind the scenesEdit

The Slith first appeared in Galaxy Guide 2: Yavin and Bespin, published by West End Games in 1989. This information was later repeated in Alien Encounters in 1998, alongside an original illustration. Further information on the Slith was provided in Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds (2004) and Yavin: The Big Red One (2004), an installment in the Wizards of the Coast Planet Hoppers series. A Slith by the name of Sssiii also appeared in the article Le facteur X in the French roleplaying game magazine Casus Belli in 1998. It is unknown whether this article went through the Lucasfilm licensing process, and so its canonicity is uncertain

and the Ssither
    [​IMG]
    The Ssither were a species of sapient snakes indigenous to Jatee. They were relocated to Butler's Cove when their homeworld was destroyed by its sun going supernova.
    [​IMG] This article is a stub about a species or race. You can help Wookieepedia by expanding it.
    Contents

[show]
    Biology and appearanceEdit

Ssither were slender hairless beings with a muscular humanoid body and a serpentine torso that tapered into a long thin tail. They can rise up on their tail to reach a height of up to 2.5 meters for a mature male. They have golden orb-like eyes with no irises[2].
    Although they were capable of verbal communication they could also communicate telepathically. They could selectively broadcast or receive thoughts and emotions from one another and non-telepaths[2]. As Dr. Hegerty and a group of Rebels left Butler's Cove after delivering the Ssither on their new colony they could feel the mental link with the Ssither deminish and disappear[1].
    Culture and historyEdit

The Ssither were native to the planet Jatee in the Demophon system where they lived in caverns and tunnels that generations had carved[2]. It has been suggested that they once lived on the surface and were forced underground after some catastrophic environmental disaster[1]. They did not construct any cities and were content to roam in small family groups without any territorial conflicts[2].
    The Ssither were discovered by a Species Identification Bureau field agent, Soron Hegerty, during the Galactic Civil War. Hegerty, disillusioned by the attitude of the Empire, deserted her post, stole the vessel used to transport rutgar-4 from the mines into orbit, and started to lead a group of Ssither in raids against the Imperial mining facility. In reality some Imperials had already discovered the existence of the Ssither before Hegerty's arrival and some had been put to work in Jatee's mines before an explosion that resulted in the deaths of a number of humans convinced the authorities to fully automate the operation. The information on the existence of the Ssither was never relayed to Demophon[1].
    Before the Demophon Star went Supernova, late in the Galactic Civil War, Dr. Hegerty and a group of rebel agents rescued a number of the Ssither from their doomed homeworld. There was not enough room in the stolen Imperial ship, The Hard Shell, for all the Ssither so they were forced to select the youngest and strongest to ensure the species survival. The rebels deposited the Ssither on the uninhabited world of Butler's Cove

Kahara and Cushing's Admirer like this.
  24. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Thanks, Gamiel. I like the Slith I may add that for consideration in my AU. :)

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012