main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks Female Hairstyles

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Marold, Apr 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    What I'd try: Curlers in the first about 1/2 inch of hair framing the face. Maybe take 4-6 depending on how long they are.

I don't think direction of wrappage makes much difference. I wind them away from my face because ... well, I hate curlers drooping onto my forehead.

2. Padme_0421

Padme_0421 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2005
    Haha ya very true. Having curlers in your face is very annoying lol. Thanks for all of your help with this! I am kind of nervous about trying it out, I want to succeed lol, but I am afraid of it not coming out the way I want it. Oh well, I'll never know tell I try, which is tonight.

Do know of anywhere where I can find out what colors of make-up Pamde wears? Thanks :D

~KT

3. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    I used to have to do this for Deanna Troi costumes. One consideration is your complexion and skin tone. If it's not like hers, you may look terrible in what she is wearing!

My Deanna Troi outfits were never *quite* the color as on the show, and I certainly never had Greek complexion and hair color either! One strategy I used was to study good pics and just pick out something that came close, provided I tried it on and thought I looked good!

For one outfit (dress I paid $80 for and wanted to look good in), I went to the Clinique counter with a fabric sample and showed them what color I would be wearing. I can never wear eye makeup the way most people can because I have "hooded" eyes and you can't see much of my eyelid. So they designed the makeup for me and I bought the products they picked out (very helpful for matching foundation, and for a finished look I definitely recommend foundation!)

I ended up having to "redesign" the makeup to go onstage, because I felt it wasn't quite strong enough for stage lights, but at least I had something to go on.

Don't worry about stuff not working. You want things to go wrong *before* the big day/night, so you can figure out how to fix any problems.

Good luck!!

4. Padme_0421

Mar 26, 2005
    Thanks LLL :)!

I did my hair tonight, it is curently up in rag curls lol. It looks right so hopefully it'll turn out right :).

~KT

5. Padme_0421

Mar 26, 2005
    I am happy to say that it turned out really well :D. I am happy with the this test run lol. Here are a few pic of it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/eowyn04/mypadmehairstyletest006.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/eowyn04/mypadmehairstyletest003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/eowyn04/mypadmehairstyletest.jpg

I didn't do the bun covers because I am not doing the whole outfit. The ribbons are blue because I am wearing blue lol, I went to church in it and everyone loved it! The curls on the sides are curlyer than Padme's but next time I'll try to get them less curly. In the back I just did a bun then bobby pined the rest and the ribbon. I must say ilike it :D. Well let me know what ya think! Thanks :)!

~KT

6. Tenyon

Tenyon Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2003
    I have bin gone for 3 days and you suddenly have a beautiful head of curls! :)
    Your curls look gorgeous, Padme_0421 , great job.

7. Padme_0421

Mar 26, 2005
    Thanks Tenyon ! :D

~KT

8. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    Hey, that turned out GREAT!!!

I really like that variation, with the bun in the back. My bf and I have been talking about getting engaged ... if we get married I'm going to have to remember that one for my wedding!

Looser curls in the front ... you need bigger rollers, I think.

9. Padme_0421

Mar 26, 2005
    Thanks LLL :D! Yes, I agree, looser in the front. But that's why I did the trial ;) :p, lol. That's awesome about you and your bf, I wish the best to you both. And that would be sooo pretty to do a Padme hairstyle for your wedding. Today I was thinking about doing it for Prom lol. Thanks again!

~KT

10. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    I tried the style Padme wears in the arena in AOTC. It didn't turn out very well. Any suggestions?

Also, I tried using those hairogami things on my sister. They work great for making Leia's buns.

11. Jedigirl514

Jedigirl514 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 22, 2002
    i wanted to try that too, for prom, but my hair is not that long, just around shoulder length...could it be done? if i took a picture to the hairdresser maybe?

12. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    Make a hairpiece. The original used fake hair wound around rubber tubing. You can put your real hair in a ponytail and then clip the hairpiece over/around it.

13. marte

marte Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    thats a hard one and I really don't see padme doing that all by herself, even if bored to death, without the help of her handmaidens! I do it like this: tie all hair back in a low ponytail, then clip away several strands of hair like arms of a star; I take more than half of the ponytail. the rest, I wind up in a small bun, then wrap each strand tightly around wire, and bring them over the bun. You might have noticed that those strands do not lay flat on the bun in the movie, but are spaced away. the loose ends I wrap all together and tuck them in. fini!

14. ecila

ecila Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2002
    Hi!

I ordered a Padme style wig for DCon! I have never worn wigs before, so I was wondering what exactly do I need to do to secure it and keep my own hair hidden?

Any pointers would be appreciated!

:)

ecila

15. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Because someone asked in a different thread, Leia's Ewok hair is actually a fake braid on a headband or something similar. In the publicity photo of her posing with Ewoks (the one where you see how high the slit in the dress is), the braid angles across her head. One side is much closer to her forehead than the other is. There's also a close-up shot that shows something shiney under the braid and just above her ear---what I'm guessing is the base the braid is attached to.

16. Sable83

Sable83 Jedi Youngling

Aug 30, 2005
    Thanks, I asked that. That's a shame! are you sure there's no way of doing it without using a hairband?

17. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    If you want the single continuous braid across her head with both ends hanging down to her shoulders like that, then no, I don't know of another way.

A fairly standard headshot:
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/leiacost/singlebraid.jpg]

This shows how the braid is angled across the top of her head (compare the placement with the other two photos):
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/leiacost/braidangle.jpg]

The circled bit is a shiney, dark plastic something (what I think is the headband):
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/leiacost/hairtrick.jpg]

18. padmeleialvr

padmeleialvr Jedi Youngling

Oct 10, 2005
    kreleia- I'm new here! I found your message by searching the internet. What kind of bendy rollers? I have become obsessed with trying to find out how Padme's hair was curled like that... do you know the name of the rollers? thanks...

19. padmeleialvr

padmeleialvr Jedi Youngling

Oct 10, 2005
    LLL,
    What are benders? Are they like the Conair swizzlers or whatever? Thanks a million...

20. BurntTheMacaroni

BurntTheMacaroni Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    Hey all, saw this thread and thought i'd stop by. My friend made a few tutorials on Leia hair, and one on Padme's hairstyle. She herself has really long hair, but its actually really helpful even using a wig

Leia's

http://www.freewebs.com/princessbunhead/hair.html

Padme's

http://www.freewebs.com/princessbunhead/hair2.html

hope this helps!

21. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    Man, I haven't posted on here in forever!

Sorry I missed the question about the benders. :( They are soft foam stuff covering bendable wire. You wrap your hair around this soft bendable rod and then fold the ends over to secure. More comfortable to sleep in than rollers.

Re: the website above: Good ideas! I notice though that even though the person's hair has the length, some of the buns aren't the size of the movie hairstyles. I solved this problem trying to do a Deanna Troi bun once by making the ponytail I needed, then placing a bunch of scrunchies that were almost the same color as my hair around the base ... then winding the ponytail (braided, if you need a braided bun) AROUND the scrunchies. The hair hides the scrunchies, but the scrunchies are soft, comfortable, stay in place, and give the bun size.

I don't know exactly how you'd do this with the Padme bun that's at the nape of the neck above the braid. Teasing, maybe?? Not sure. I don't think I can try it with my hair at this point because I've MAJORLY damaged it and it just doesn't have the length or the heft it used to anymore. I may have to hack 4 inches off!! *sob!*:_|

22. marte

marte Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    Hey people! I'm working on a SW female hair tutorial too :D and will bring it online when I have all the pictures taken. I do actually wear them in real life! Except maybe the Leia-buns :)
    So here's my question:
    One hairstyle is simply driving me crazy, I can't figure it out. It's Padmé's buns in her first scene in ROTS. Fairly simple at first sight, or so I thought. I have quite long hair, but I cannot make it look twisted tight and thick at the same time and even worse, I can't make the inner turn stick out. I tried to do it with two parts, without success. Should I use wire? There must be another way... would anyone have ideas?

23. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    Seems like those ought to be easier, since they don't have to be the size or thickness of Leia's.

I'll try anything once. You got any good pics???

(I can't try anything without good pics.)

24. MomMaster

MomMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2006
    Need opinions! I can do my young friend's Leia hair in braids easy enough but for me....
    My hair looks nothing like Jocasta Nu!

Should I wear a wig or just be my self wearing Jocasta Nu?
    The though of getting a white old lady wig ...well I just don't know!

I going to C4 too!

25. QueenAmidalaEP1

QueenAmidalaEP1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    I'm a tip of the head down to the toe kind of costumer, so if the "face" character that I'm repro-ing has a different
    hair color or style then I can achieve w/o just using hair pieces and temp hair color spray, I go with a full wig.

You can see some of my different hairstyles and wigs in these albums:
    http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=queenamidala&AID=1071275
    http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=queenamidala&AID=1459360

I think the difference a wig makes for the costume is particularly evident
    when I wear my blond 70's shag wig for costume that repros a 70's Dr. Who companion (Jo Grant).
    http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=queenamidala&AID=2556340
    Before I put on the wig, I'm just wearing a decent repro of the costume, but once that wig goes on
    I get pretty darn close to looking like "Jo Grant" and my photos with the actress that played Jo -
    Katy Manning bear this resemblance out.

My goal in repro costuming is to put on the costume, wigs, makeup etc and no longer see myself
    in the mirror, but to see the character that I'm repro-ing. When it comes together, it's really
    exciting.

So I say go for it. Experiment with temporary white sprays (if your hair is long enough to do the style)
    I like to spray a small amount of the color in the hair and then comb it thru and then spray, comb, repeat
    until all the outer layers of hair are covered in the color. I have successfully covered my dark brown hair
    with a silver gray spray and it lasted all night.

Or you can go with the full wig, which cuts your hair prep time down to mere minutes. Make sure to get a wig cap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.