main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF-UK:N - NW Cinema Mini-Meets (Manchester)

Discussion in 'Archive: North' started by go-away, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    sweeney todd, like?

2. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    I think Sweeny and Cloverfield would fit our group.

3. ForceGhostOfCozmic

ForceGhostOfCozmic Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 25, 2005
  4. Glass_Onion

Glass_Onion Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 29, 2005
    Hellooo! Long time no post. :p

Eye can has vote for Sweeney Todd. Can't beat the Depp and Burton combination. Plus the musical factor just makes it that bit better. ;)

5. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Welcome back mister!

So we could see it on the Sat 26 Jan maybe? Coz - what days around that are ok for you?
    And location - Liverpool or Manchester? I'd be quite up for Manchester this time, since I am wanting to go to the Manchester Museum right now, plus Travelling Man/Forbidden Planet. Odeon Printworks, maybe get some food in there, then head home?

6. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    I don't know yet what's best

7. Glass_Onion

Glass_Onion Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 29, 2005
    Any's best for me really. If Manchester would there be any suitable cheap parking? Since getting used to motorways I can't stand getting trains to places I can easily drive to. ;)

8. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Well ...
    If anyone wants to go see Sweeny Todd - I suggest Manchester, Saturday 26th January. If people can make that and want to go, please post a definite attendence below. If there aren't enough people, I'll save some travel money and go see this on my own in Southport. It's whether people want to see it as a group. Sunday trains make life (and evening meets) hard, so I'd prefer Sat. If two people want definite for Sunday, we can make it an afternoon/early afternoon event.

1. Tim

If we do go - I'd suggest film, food, shopping and maybe a bit of culture. But it's open, and easy - no definite schedule, though of course it's a meet to see a film. I may arrive early so I can go visit Manchester Museum (I can see that another time if need be).

Glass - parking in Manchester. I am not 100% sure, but it does tend to get real busy and I believe it's not so cheap. Even at conventions people went for PTI Deansgate Locks because it was free parking, otherwise it was too expensive for them.

9. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    I'm free Friday & Saturday [face_peace]

1. Tim
    2. Coz

10. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    i'll very likely be free :) i hope it won't be too scary.

11. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    So would it be best to keep for Sat? I said to Coz the other day about moving to Sunday or Monday though he hasn't got his timetable yet for then.

And you have Coz and me to hide behind if it does. Tho I may be hiding behind the chair :p
    Or just closing my eyes if it's gory.

12. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    i really want to see no country for old men too and i fear it'll be very brutal. i don't like brutal much :(

13. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    I think some of the FF London lot have seen it, I could ask?
    There was another film listed (I think in the Odeon leaflet, yep I got a leaflet) which I think may be interesting for us ... need to check what it was called. Looks like I'll be seeing a film a week for next few weeks lol.

14. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    well there is loose homicidal maniac, i assume he will not be picking flowers and singing songs.

15. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    That's very anti-loose homicidal maniac of u :p
    Those could be his favourite pastimes, as well as taking walks along beaches :p

16. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    i know i'm stereotyping. always the way.

17. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    So ... 26 Saturday 2008?

Sweeney Todd
    Film running length: 116 min
    Odeon at the Filmworks

11:45 13:00 14:30 15:45 17:15 18:30 20:00 21:15 23:00

What time suits people? If we can, I'd prefer to watch it in the afternoon, then have food as soon as possible afterwards (so I can head back early evening), my cat is going to have been left in my room all day and I am just praying he doesn't get bored of his litter and leave little presents where I don't need them.

I would still like to get there early, pay a visit to the Manchester Museum, get a bus back into town, then visit the two comic shops, then film - up to people if they want to join me on any of that.

Place to eat?

18. Darthsmuse

Darthsmuse Jedi Master star 1

Nov 27, 2004
    Well actually.......it is a film adaption of Stephen Sondheim's musical Sweeney Todd and most of the characters sing. Sasha Baron Cohen hits some high notes. Johnny Depp and Alan Rickman's duet is sublime.

Caught a preview on Sunday night in Carlisle, thoroughly enjoyed it, the cinematography is excellent, plenty of blood and 116 minutes flew past.

19. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    haha, very cute, thanks :D

i know that sweeney todd is a musical, no country for old men, however, does not feature singing and i get quite a bit flustered when watching the trailer.

tim, how early is early for you?
    i aim to make a phone call around midday and would then head into town.
    and also -just wondering- the amc is also a nice cinema and in close vicinity to eateries, methinks.

20. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    Well what time did you plan on heading into Manchester Tim? Cos I don't mind too early of a start [face_peace]

21. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
  22. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    er, if we watch the film at 5 there's no way we're going to eat at 6. just sayin'.

my phone is working AFAIK and i'll be there, very likely AFTER 1, so it doesn't matter much and i suggest you just go to as many shops as you want. if you want, you can ask them about the new gunslinger stuff as well :D

What?s it like inside seating-wise? Tiered?

erm, they had seats and they all pointed into the direction of the screen, as far as i remember. i hope this is what you mean, for i cannot remember what else featured re:seating.

see you guys tomorrow :)

23. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    I think Tim's plan was to give us all enough shopping time so no rushing before we go to the cinema [face_peace]

Know anywhere good to eat near AMC, Martina?

24. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    More from Mr T :p

"Hey, I can't get on the boards at all, something is stopping two types of browser see it at home. Sie had same problem last night as well, it's happening tonight too. Hence why I can't post in person. It's not my net connection because I can view other sites fine, just not IGN ones and a few others.

When I asked about seats I meant are they all on same height or tiered (ie row in front is lower than one behind) - if same height then some big person came and sat in front of us we couldn't see, since it'll be quite a popular film on Sat. Southport old cinema used to be like that and it was a waste of money going sometimes - uncomfortable and poor views. I wasn't being cheeky or daft, it was relevant.

The film I suggested starts at 4pm, and the website said it has a run time of just under two hours. I haven't taken in adverts tbh, partly because some cinemas list adverts included in run time, and I wasn't sure if that was the case. So we would be leaving around 6pm, maybe, if we go for 4pm showing, as Coz kindly posted above.

No worries re phone, just let us know when you are ok to meet missus and see you then [:D] "

25. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    fun seeing you guys today[:D] even though mr todd was morose and horrible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.