main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Finn/John Boyega Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. FromDromundKaasWithLove

FromDromundKaasWithLove Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2020
    So, remember how I said that Ben & Jerry apparently put their money where their mouths is?

Yeah, turns out that I didn't realize just how much that applied to the real Ben and Jerry.

The founders of the company, Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield, were arrested at a Black Lives Matter protest.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I need ice cream again, and not just because I got to do a swim workout today for the first time this season.

We should probably keep this thread specifically on John though and put the rest in Race Relations.

3. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    Are you motherofpearl1 on a different forum?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. sian1965

sian1965 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 26, 2020
  5. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    So it’s of your belief that John is only using the black lives matter movement as a way to further his career?

if that’s what you really think why do you continue to post in this thread? Why are you here?

6. sian1965

Apr 26, 2020
    Because it's a free country, and because Mr Boyega behaving like a five year old on social media caused me to lose a lot of respect for him.
    I do however respect #BLM and George Floyd's family, especially his amazingly dignified brother who has urged peaceful protest.
    And because until I'm officially banned I have the right to express my opinion, just as people have the right to peaceful protest.

7. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    Your opinion is just you spewing hate.

you already said that you lost all your respect for him and yet here you are talking about him and making hateful accusations against him.

8. sian1965

Apr 26, 2020
    Okay, not engaging.

9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Everyone play nice in here. Discuss the topic, not other posters.

Also, this:

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  10. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    You should tweet JB--maybe the tweet will make his next highlight reel.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    We’re in a forum about a trilogy in which a very privileged fictional character behaves in ways that range from annoying to outright abominable, but we are told that it is not really his fault and that we are being “hateful” (towards a fictional character) if we point out that, yes, it absolutely is his fault and he is not sympathetic. But at the same time, a real person who acts in this trilogy and has endured racism for it, is “hateful” or immature for not responding politely to the racism?

Yeah...no. I’ll continue to support John’s right to respond to bigotry any way he sees fit. When he responds in an impolite manner to polite comments from supporters on social media, that will be a problem.

I’m glad Star Wars posted their support for him (although what @The Deuteragonist said a few days ago made me think) and I’m glad other producers have stepped forward to support him.

I used to think that a Disney Plus Finn show would be great but I wonder if it isn’t too little, too late for that. Marvel could pick him up though.

ETA: John’s IG this morning talks about his continuing to use his platform to fight against injustices and inequalities in our communities, and posted a picture of his visiting schools in Southwark prior to the pandemic. It’s a fantastic, inspiring post. That summary does not do it justice.

12. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015

You sound like you got issues. I have to say, anyone who thinks boyega is protesting to further his career, has some deep seated hatred against the man. This is the type of sick garbage I can always expect from shippers.

EDIT: alright. I just saw the warning. I'll just block and be done with that ugliness.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  13. Triad Moons

Triad Moons Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 14, 2020
    A couple months ago, I guess when his discontent was at its most apparent, a user asked or suggested he could star in a superhero movie, and he all but stated he was more interested in pursing films that weren't giant tent-pole films (and maybe, to some extent, not being managed by Disney). It's definitely not impossible, but I get the sense Boyega wants a break from that nonsense at the moment.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, you’re probably right.

I found this yesterday in relation to why Boyega thought the BLM protest would ruin his career.

[​IMG]

And that is not an accusation that Abrams, Johnson, Kennedy, or Kasdan are racist—I don’t think they are.

I do think that Disney as a corporation decided at some point that at least some racist money was worth trying to get, or that they couldn’t function without it. Which is sad.

15. AAA_Tarpals

AAA_Tarpals Jedi Master star 1

Jan 1, 2015
    It would be amazing if Disney would decide to continue the story with Episode 10. Seeing Finn being a Jedi Knight in a live-action movie(s) as one of the main stars would be everything they seemed to promote leading up to TFA. I believe a continuation of the story with the sequel characters is plausible seeing how they boxed themselves in by saying it would be a trilogy (7,8,9). 3 movies probably wasn't enough to give all the characters and storylines justice, in my opinion. Very hopeful thinking we can eventually see Finn, Rey, Poe, etc. return for more.

16. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    No. (Jedi) Finn failed to draw more than 12% African American audience for TFA in the first 10 days (read: interest based on marketing and non-spoilery WOM, not on spoilers). This demo can do much better (Transformers Age of Extinction drew 22% in 2014 and IM3 in 2013) but 12% is below their average of 15-16%. So if your character/actor fails to improve the attendance of the demo that he was supposed to improve, he is not going to get more prominent in the future but less. It's just the way business works.

Moreover, Disney has no reason to look at their SW era as a diversity failure because they increased representation in major roles, including 3 major black characters (one of them a woman) in TROS which never happened before. It's just that this forum is super focused on Finn/Boyega to exclusion of everything else when it comes to measuring diversity success/lack thereof, so your optics of ST are that of diversity failure because Finn didn't meet your expectations. But objectively speaking, they met their goals which is more inclusion both by gender (women are both prominent and part of the universe outside of just main roles) and ethnicity (aside already mentioned black representation, they increased number of East Asians and Latinos).

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The percentage of the Black audience that Finn drew in or did not draw in, does not refute my point, that Disney decided that some racist money was worth getting/pursuing. Finn being diminished on some of the posters but not others is proof of that.

I also think it does a disservice to Black people to assume that any portrayal of Finn would or should be acceptable because he’s Black. I’m not going to go see a movie that has a woman lead if I know the woman is written in a terrible traditional stereotypical manner, just because the movie has a woman lead—I would need another motive. I think Black people who had been Star Wars fans before the Disney buyout probably went to see the ST because it was Star Wars, and Finn failed to draw in more Black fans after TFA because he was written as the comic relief sidekick—one of the terrible stereotypical ways that Black characters have always been written—and they felt cheated by the bait-and-switch with the lightsaber.

18. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    Like I said, first 10 days of movie release create interest based on marketing and non-spoilery WOM. So people saw Jedi Finn on posters and in spots/trailers and...didn't really care. That had nothing to do with how he was written and handled in the movie. Decision to see the movie was based on previews and bare minimum WOM of "see it or skip it" without spoiling why.And they didn't rush to see the movie.

Also, statistics refute your point because your point means that racists complains resulted in reduction of Finn's role, while statistics show that demo that his character was supposed to interest in SW wasn't interested. SW has always been predominantly a franchise attracting white male demo and Disney tried to attract other demos with inclusion. However, the franchise remained white and male mostly in about 60%. You can't build new fanbase overnight that's really all that is.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That’s...just a bunch of stereotypes in and of themselves.

Not all white men have the same taste.
    Not all women (white, Black or Brown) have the same taste.
    Not all Brown people have the same taste.
    Not all Black people have the same taste.

Not all white men believe that women and Black or Brown people all belong in bad stereotypical roles.
    Not all women want to see codependent submissive women in cringeworthy “romances.”
    Not all Black people are going to be happy with a sidekick comic relief working in sanitation because “look! A Black guy!”

“The demo that his character was supposed to interest?” Really?

It is disgusting that Disney or any other company would think that anyone belonging to one particular gender or ethnic group all have the same taste. If that is indeed what they are doing, there definitely needs to be some diversity training there.

If your argument is “that’s just the way it is in their marketing department”—it’s time for all of us to start calling it out and stop accepting it.

It’s as bad, or worse, than a department store labeling a toy section with “toys for boys” and “toys for girls”. Thankfully Target recognized that that was bull**** and stopped.

I bought my Finn Black series figure in the aisle that didn’t look like it had been hosed down with Pepto Bismol, and left those awful Forces of Destiny dolls alone.

20. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    yes people have different taste and therefore different things in previews attract different people. And since this forum is very vocal about wanting to see characters who look like them (translation: not white male) that's also marketing thinking that different demos want to see characters who look like them. So depending on how much they like someone and context that target them primarily (there are always secondary, tertiary etc audience cause no product is without crossover with other demos), they are going to rush more or less to see the movie and that will be reflected in the audience share. And 12% share in on the lower side for African American demo who contribute to blockbusters with 15-16% on average and in rare cases such as Black Panther with 35%. So realistically speaking, Disney was probably hoping for anything between 16% (Jurassic World) and 22% (Iron Man 3, Transformers 4) just to name a few blockbusters closest to TFA release and without a major black character, but got only 12%.

Point being, I understand that you like the narrative where vicious racists robbed Finn off his leading role because Disney wanted their money, but reality is that AA audience didn't back him up because previews didn't scream must-see. Numbers don't lie because they are not subjective. They are what they are.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    “The Black audience” is not a monolith. You keep referring to Black people as a monolith.

Finn was portrayed in a very stereotypical manner for a Black character, and both the character and Boyega himself have been subjected to vicious racist attacks.

You continually try to write your way around that by pretending that thinking of Black people as a monolith or a “demographic” instead of a very diverse group of human beings with different tastes, is somehow acceptable, and that the vicious racists are a figment of our imagination.

22. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    Why are you basing Boyega's success in the Star Wars saga solely on how many African-American moviegoers he drew to the movie theaters? Do you base Oscar Isaac's success in the franchise on how many Latino moviegoers he attract? Or focus on how many women moviegoers Daisy Ridley attract?o_O

23. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    Because studios increase diversity in movies in order to increase diverse attendance. It's a known thing. It's about money. You want more people to buy tickets so you look for ways to attract them and one way is appeal to ethnic background, gender, age, sexual orientation, etc by having them represented. Also, because this forum repeatedly stated that what was done to Finn disappointed black kids. I'm merely showing there weren't that many black kids to be disappointed because market share was lower than average blockbuster share for this demo. Dinokino and capekino have larger share, so do Transformers. And I didn't mention this detail but TFA (and all other Disney era SW) skewed adult so fewer kids from any demo showed up comparable to some other franchises. point being, it seems to be the franchise thing in that SW simply isn't big with this demo overall, no matter who they cast, unlike some other franchises that achieve average and above average audience share.

Since their share was larger (15%) and increased for TLJ (18%) while AA decreased (11%), I'd say that correlation between studio decision to increased Poe role and increased Latinx audience share is very likely. Studio wanted to keep the character already and increased audience share supported that they should expand his role.

They went on the record that they wanted a female lead to increase their female audience share. The franchise still attracted about 60% male audience in the first 10 days (when studios make most money in USA). That's a standard ratio for most blockbusters too. Even Captain Marvel had larger male attendance than female through Wonder Woman flipped it in female favor. But hey, I remember critique around here that Rey was sidelined in TLJ in favor of Luke and Kylo so maybe that 60% male share had something to do with it? It would make sense.

@anakinfansince1983

Because I'm presenting audience share by ethnicity as reported by MPAA's Annual Theme Report. They didn't break down ethnic audiences into audience by age, gender, income, etc. They also have gender breakdown (male or female without further breakdown by age or ethnic background). I'm just the messenger, don't shoot me, Ranger Rick. ;)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    So they assume that everyone is a monolith based on their age, gender, ethnicity, etc.

“Just the messenger” or not, you seem to be endorsing the idea that, in this case, Black people are a monolith.

This discussion started with a post about Finn’s role in the saga, how it changed, and how Boyega thinks that his career might take a hit in his career due to the BLM protests.

All those points stand, because racist taste is a monolith. They have the commonality of not wanting to see a Black or Brown person in film unless the Black or Brown person is playing a very stereotypical role. I’m sure the MPAA doesn’t have a section for racist taste, though, making it easy for people to deny their existence under the ruse of “just numbers.”

Repeating: Black people are not a monolith, even if the MPAA treats them as such here and you believe it’s fine to treat them as such.

“Racists don’t exist or have nothing to do with this because I have numbers that show that Black people—who all have the same taste—didn’t like Finn the way they were ‘supposed to’ anyway” is a bad argument.

25. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Which Finn, in many ways, ended up doing.