main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Are there any new images of this Xyston-class, or pretty much what we got in the movie?
    Agreed.

Snafu55 likes this.
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do anybody know what those space-stations are called?

MercenaryAce likes this.
  3. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    So the Empire just took it to the impound lot after capturing it at Tatooine instead of destroying it?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    JediBatman and Daneira like this.
  4. Commander_Andersen

Commander_Andersen Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 10, 2004
    Turns out they took it to the Yarma system (see Rebels S3 opener) to be broken up, but after The Senate dissolved The Senate, it was no longer a priority and so gathered dust. An ex Imperial governor alerted Leia to its presence.

5. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Eh, a TIE fighter and a X-Wing already look so different it is hard to argue there is any function in the design beyond aesthetics. And Star Wars is a place with millions of worlds and who knows how many design companies. Some aesthetic variation is hardly surprising.

Looking around, there doesn't seem to be any specific class name, beyond that the most predominant ones are named Carrick Station and Vaiken Spacedock. Sorry.

Come to think of it, didn't Vader specifically order the ship destroyed?

Gamiel likes this.
  6. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    Wookieepedia says it was destroyed by the Empire, but doesn't say who gave the order. The source they give for it is "Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy".

MercenaryAce likes this.
  7. Ton_G

Ton_G Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    More a montage than a battle, but some good shots it there. Without the VD we sure have our work cut out for ourselves.

8. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Star Wars youtube channel released their own video pointing out ships.

9. Ton_G

Ton_G Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    For the record, yes there is an MC85 in the fleet. :)

JediBatman, Pons and AdmiralNick22 like this.
  10. TheNerdyOne_

TheNerdyOne_ Jedi Knight star 2

May 24, 2015
    As fantastic as the fleet is, it was pretty disappointing that we didn't really see it in action much at all. It really didn't feel like much of a battle, there was hardly any action. It felt like more of a tease than anything.

The lack of Starhawks is also kind of baffling, both in-universe and out. They obviously have a model somewhere, I don't see why they didn't just stick one in the background where they wouldn't even have to add much detail. I would have been happy to have gotten that over half the ships we saw, as great as all of those were.

11. TheRebelFleet

TheRebelFleet Jedi Padawan

Apr 21, 2017
    Just saw TROS. I'm still shocked about the huge battle but people are right, the massive fleet didn't do much. The battle shots were still focused on starfighters, particularly those Y-Wings. Glad they brought back the U-Wings. Such a good design.

Anyway, I did see a Crucible-like ship that someone mentioned. Also, I might be crazy but I think I saw an Assault Frigate? I saw a Nebulon-B like ship with two fins in the background. I think I also saw a Quasar and something like a Starhawk in one of the side shots but there was so much going on...

Kinda disappointed that there were mainly just frigates and starfighter focus instead of more capital ships. (Venators, more MC classes)

JediBatman likes this.
  12. Darth Zack

Darth Zack Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Has there been any discussion of the Sienar-Chall Utilipede-Transport in this thread? In particular, the existence of a Sienar-Chall. I like the idea that the Xi Char and the remnants of Hoar Chall Engineering absorbed by Sienar Fleet Systems are still active. They might have even had a role in the development of the TIE fighters (the stripped down nature of the TIE/ln reminds me of the Vulture droid certainly, though of course also of the Eta-2).

I also asked a question on Quora that might be relevant to Fleet Junkies: What if there was an Eighteenth Alsakan Conflict after the Galactic Civil War?

I like the idea of the two forces building massive fleets of contemporary vessels and going head to head with them. Like, would each side have Mandator IIIs? Assertors? As for the origins of this conflict I could see Alsaka and its allies growing resentful of Coruscant during the Imperial Period and see the fall of the Empire as an excuse to try to assert more power over the rebuilding galaxy.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  13. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    I thought I saw a Mandalorian ship from Clone Wars in the fleet but I’m not sure. One of the shots looking up from Exogol’s surface, there was a craft with a similar silhouette

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  14. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    Here's the VD page on the Xyston-Class, from Reddit User u/TheMastersSkywalker
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/635915533014925312/657624037576671232/image0.jpg
    Also this section implies the Solar Ionization Reactor on the bottom of all Star Destroyers, not just the new one, contains a miniature sun.
    https://i.imgur.com/LqOQW84.png

Edit: Ok apparently that's been a thing since legends. First I've actually seen it before.
    https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/I-a2b_solar_ionization_reactor/Legends

15. Havoc123

Jun 26, 2013
    Literally just a copy paste of the Rogue One model with an added cannon. This is some advanced schlock.

16. Armchair_Admiral

Armchair_Admiral Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    EMPEROR: Could you explain your model, young man?
    HOMER: Well basically, I just copied the Imperial Star Destroyer we have now. Then, I added a cannon to lower wind resistance. And this racing stripe here I feel is pretty sharp.
    EMPEROR: Agreed. First prize!

17. Sly442

Sly442 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 27, 2018
    Can anyone with sharp eyes tell if they actually scaled the model up to the actual length (longer hull, smaller windows, etc.) or did they just slap that number on there?

18. Havoc123

Jun 26, 2013
    Doesn't seem like its scaled up in terms of windows etc, but this looks like a job for @Thrawn McEwok as he was able to determine in the past that Trench's Providence Dreadnought isn't any bigger than a standard Providence (1km), I guess it'd be helpful if we got high-rez images of the 3km Resurgent Destroyer close to those ISD replicas?

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    One thing I noticed:

near the end, when the victorious survivors are landing, the Ghost (or at least a VCX-100, probably the Ghost - it would surprise me if there was more than one VCX-100 and the non-Ghost one survived) is one of the ships landing in the jungle.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    The2ndQuest likes this.
  20. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    Well Doug Chiang confirmed in a recent video that it is meant to be the Ghost in the fleet

Iron_lord likes this.
  21. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    Anyone else curious how the power/space requirements for a planet killing super laser went from a 160 km diameter battle station to a 2,400 m long ship hull in a few decades?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
  22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    To be fair:

it takes quite a bit longer, and the debris doesn't explode outward nearly as violently.

We're told in TLJ that the battering ram cannon is "miniaturised Death Star tech" - so this may be that, beefed up. Being red, it looks more like the Battering Ram Cannon beam than the Death Star beams.

The Siege Dreadnought was also, according to the Visual Guide, a "test project that informed the Xyston-Class Star Destroyer design". The autocannons are sometimes also called turbolasers in the TLJ novels, so I would speculate that, aside from firing bolts rather than beams, they're basically the same general type of thing.

I'm guessing this is the endpoint of a design trend that began with things like the Battering Ram Cannon and the Siege Dreadnought.

Its nearest counterpart in Legends, might be the Conqueror.

23. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    If you watch closely in the movie, the ship fires multiple blasts into the planet along the guiding laser line whereas the DS sent just one big punch of energy. So they bypassed size by multiple smaller power blasts instead of one big blast. Thus needing smaller generators. Still these Stardestroyers are larger than old Imperial ones as per VD and also are automated mostly, not much crew needed which explains how most SD space can be reserved for miniaturized Superlaser tech by removing hangars, troops, storage, starfighters etc. from the ship to make space.

Add to that Rebels tv show's prototype B-Wing tech. I am betting it is involved too. It packed a huge power punch but overloaded its systems after firing. Bet Imps copied that trick to get a larger punch out of a smaller ship by hugely extending the powerlevel at the risk of ship systems and the like.

One last bit: DS shots blew the planet up straight down to the core leading to instant explosion of the entire planet. Whereas the Stardestroyer shots only breach the crust with multiple blasts as noted above leaving the rest of the destruction to the planets systems failing themselves. Thus less power needed for to breach the crust is a different thing from trying to destabilize a planetary core!

Outsourced, JediBatman and Tuskin38 like this.
  24. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    The nuclear bomb went from these big fat monstrosities to smaller, more sleeker, more easily deliverable to it's target of choice.

I'm pretty sure some shortcuts and concessions could be made to make a Death Star weapon system more convenient and mobile.

25. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    I was scouring the scene for anything Mandalorian (go figure) and thought I saw the same. I was hoping it wasn't just wishful thinking on my part, so good to see that perhaps I'm not the only one who saw it. :p

Tuskin38 likes this.