main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Decided to have some A-Wing fun today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and, *Chef's kiss*:

[​IMG]

While working on that last one, I found it interesting that, when removing Arvel's cockpit yelling shot to splice the Imp footage back to back, that both Piett and Gherant's footage is more or less seamless and from the same take. Yet, to convey that a few moments have passed during the cut to facilitate the cockpit shot's insert, all of the fleet SFX footage has had their positions advanced.

So, the ships jump during the cut, but the officers in the foreground do not.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  2. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    What's that second one from?

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    A fan film:

He also did one that i took this older one from:

[​IMG]

4. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    2 things about that movie...

1. I like that Imp ship...did he ever give it a class name?
    2. The Pelta looks better than in Rebels...the hangar actually looks like it could launch and land more than just A-Wings. In Rebels Phoenix Home looked like the launch hatch was just large enough for an A-Wing...which would prevent X-Wings and T-Wings.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The video description calls it an Incursor-class.

Chrissonofpear2 likes this.
  6. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    JABoomer, Alpha-Red and Vthuil like this.
  7. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I really like that tan-with-blue-markings paint job, incidentally.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  8. Long Snoot

Long Snoot Jedi Master star 2

Mar 1, 2018
    Reminds me of how, for whatever reason, Broadside cruisers are the only ships with a blue paintjob in the imperial campaign of EaW:
    [​IMG]

JediBatman and MercenaryAce like this.
  9. Grevious_Coward

Grevious_Coward Jedi Knight star 1

May 30, 2020
    Just to add some confusion , I had another watch of the scene where the ties deploy in Secret Cargo. They appear to be docked sideways and can be seen rotating as they deploy. While in Legends of the Lasat they are clearly docked vertically and don't rotate during deployment.
    As for the Defenders (In the name of the Rebellion part 1) it looks like the first one is docked turned towards the right, while the second is turned towards the left.

It's really not practical for a Defender or Tie fighter (rotated sideways) to fit in between the mandibles. Based on some calculations, using screencaps from the show, and the Battlefront 2 model, the Arquitens would have to be around 340-350m long to have enough space (9m wide gap, for a 8.82m high Tie) to practically fit the Defender or Tie fighter (325m might work for a vertically docked Tie).
    A possible solution to this could be to modify the section where they dock to be wider (would only need to cutout the bottom, and could add hatches to hide the modification). It could also be used as an explanation for why Ties are rarely seen deploying from Arquitens, as only a few ships might have the required modifications.

That's what I was thinking as well. There also has to be an airlock on the side of the shuttle, as in a few episodes you can see it docked to the Ghost from its side section.
    I wonder how tall that top deck would be, it looks shorter than the cockpit (there's what looks like a hatch in the back of the cockpit, which might be one of its entrances).

That sounds about right. I'd imagine that there are hatches on both sides, to allow some flexibility for docked vehicles. Also the shuttle might be able to dock with any of the docking position (it's seen docked facing either forwards or backwards).

You're most likely right about the deck level, as anything smaller than 19m wide would require the deck to be lower (based on the observation that the top of the pilot's window is around the same height as Agent Kallus 1.92m height). I'm currently thinking that something between 17m (16m is too small) and 19m might be the ideal size and would also fit with some of my other measurements (somewhere in-between 215-240m range). Interesting enough, using the 1:12.5 ratio, an 18m wide bridge would make the ship 225 (100m shorter than the official length[face_thinking]). As for how accurate the 1:12.5 ratio is, it's only as accurate as the Battlefront 2 model, since that's what it's based on.
    The smaller size fits its armaments better, as having only four turbolasers turrets and no smaller guns, means it would be underarmed compared to other ships in the 300-400m range(Nebulon-B, Carrack cruiser).
    I'm also thinking that role and armaments may play a part in how ships are classified. It would help explain why some ships (DP20, C70 charger, Assault frigate, Munificent), which have massive differences in size, are still classified as the same class.
    Two squadrons of A-wing sized ships could fit inside it, but I agree, the only way to fit that many larger fighters would be external racks, or maybe, some sort of hangar module under the spine.

Oh, and here's my attempt at the Nebulon-B hangar mystery (ship models from Battlefront 2).
    [​IMG]
    Some quick notes:
    • Can fit a max of 21 Ties, but can only fit 14 Tie Interceptors (because of their length).
    • Dimensions are: 12.5m high, 59m long, 23.03m wide (the floor width is 20.23).
    • The number of Ties on the neck could be increased to a squadron by adding an extra row
    • It's possible to fit 6 X-wing or 4 Y-wings, on the floor. An additional 6 or more could be add by rack mounting them (Night Caller anyone) or converting the hangar into multiple floors.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I love how, if we combine all of the different theories, that a ship whose ability to have any kind of hangar capacity has always been in question, at best, then becomes an ultra-compact, highly complex super-carrier. [face_laugh]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  11. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Well done @Grevious_Coward !

Aside the Nebs carrier capacity questions, anybody up for explaining as to why its front sections lower parts look so modular and mix and mash sewn together pods of various designs and origins?

I know EC Henry provided us with an Imperialised version that is fully encased in armor there, but this pod look reminds me more of the Gallofree moddeable pod-carry design than any other ship. And even if the Neb were once fully encased in armor, why not have proper decks within that section and instead use these unshapely pods?

Main reasoning I came up with is that these are exchangeable depending on mission profile (medical, scout, fighter support, etc.) but that still does not explain their un-KDY characteristic mix and mash look. And its too late now to retcon them into a Rebel modding of the Imperial KDY, right? We know the Empire uses them like that too.

So I once even envisioned a Nebulon-B that did not have these pod appendices below its forward section. Might such a version exist? A rump version? Given the Rebel Assault Frigate had two such pod-y appendices below it spread at different angles these add ons may exist separate of the core ship and be attacheable or removeable. (someone please draw up these versions without the appendices as well as different configurations maybe!).

Given the mix and mash look of the pod-decks, I once also did wonder can they individually be dislodged and act like barges or lifeboats? Like Nebulon-Bs used for scouting and settling worlds or dropping outposts may unlock and sent some of these mission specific pod sections down to a planet.

And then it hit me, what if we are looking for a potential Hangar in the wrong place! Mission specific profile: Starfighter carrier, add Hangar pods in this section of the Nebulon-B! If a Pelta can carry a string of A-Wings, how can we fit various fighters in hangar pods in this sections stringed up? Easy release out of front or backward pod doors then! Now before anybody rises the issue of the Medical Frigate pods not fitting Tie-Fighters to scale, well this is a medical frigate, hangar pods would look different obviously or be a bit larger.

Edit: I just found this on google, fanmade but sweet:

[​IMG]

The first is the Nebulon -B, the middle is a Nebulon with double spread appendices like the Rebel Assault Frigate has and the third is a fanmade variant I find intriguing... especially the Hangarpod attached to the spine! Yet another variant we can consider!

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    OMG, that "Quadpod" variant is terrifying. Actually reminds me of the Legacy Crossfire and half of a Scythe-class. Those variations also make the pod rack feel almost like the "clip" in a StarFortress bomber.

And with that hangar module from the Quadpod added with your suggestion of hangar pods (or, if we're gonna get really nuts, Hangar Quadpods), in addition to internal hangar bay theories and, if we encase the neck, EC Henry's TIE system, you really do get a ridiculous amount of hangar space for such a relatively small vessel...

Of course, at some point one assumes you'd have to beef up the rest of the ship to accomodate the additional crew and power/fuel/engine/supply requirements.

seeker_two and ColeFardreamer like this.
  13. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Not sure...but shouldn't those TIEs be smaller?? They look like they are Millennium Falcon size in your pic. But that could just be me...

14. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    Well, the Arquitens bridge does usually look closer to 19 metres wide, to me, on visual inspections, than 26. Height up to the windows of the officers would seem the most conclusive info.
    Also, what size did we settle on for the overall width of ISD towers? Somewhere between 267 to 275 metres? (latter scaled to around 1606 m length?)
    Also, does this interior Nebulon cutaway benefit from a buff up to 338 m long, very much?

Sinrebirth likes this.
  15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    TIEs got resized downward a little after Rogue One. They used to be 8.99m long and about 10.95m high, and now they're 7.24m long and 8.82m high.

Maybe that hangar's scaled to "Old TIEs" ?

Snafu55 likes this.
  16. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    My point is that compared to the Neb B they look too big. At those dimensions the Neb B should be about 33 (8.99m length) to 41 (7.24m length) TIE fighters long. I only see length for maybe 24-26 TIES.

And that supposes the 300m length on the frigate.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    If you compare the Falcon docked below to those TIEs, they look right to me, if you visualize the size of the cockpits.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tuskin38, Snafu55 and Chrissonofpear2 like this.
  18. Grevious_Coward

Grevious_Coward Jedi Knight star 1

May 30, 2020
    The dimension of the Ties are: length; 7.25, height; 8.83, width; 6.68 - so they're 1cm too long, which shouldn't make much of a difference. The frigate itself is 300.9m from nose to engines. Also an update on the X-wing and Y-wing numbers, it's possible to fit 8 X-wings or 6 Y-wings, if they are crammed together.
    It does. The hangar gains around 7m in length and 3m in width, which is enough room for another 3 Ties, bringing the total to 24 Ties in the hangar. In addition you can comfortably fit another Tie on the external rack.

19. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Good comparisons there to Scythe and Crossfire. Also with the Exegol fleets many variations of Mon Cal ships, its time for more variants for other classes as well.

Good point on beefing up power output and other systems to support the energy etc. requirements. Except what if it already is beefed up to be able to support more than the rump version of the ship needs if it was made for mods and additions to its spine and front bow pod-clip section? I mean its engine section is quite big for a vessel its size and removing it from the front section via spine not only adds space for modifications but also ensures that a beefed up power and engine section cannot harm the front even if going up in flames. That'd turn the spine into a security measure as well as a modcarrying/docking one and deflect a bit more from its battle weakness where the ship can be clipped in two by heavy fire.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Taking a fully decked-out Neb-B hangar quadpod + module carrier and having it get spine-split in combat feels like it would be a hornets nest-type situation.

Imperial Captain: "Ha! We're snapped the small Rebel vessel in two! For the glory of the Empire!"
    Imperial XO: "What's all that coming off of the two pieces?"
    ImperialCaptain: "...yeep!"

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  21. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I always figured that Nebulon-Bs have their entire forward section was gutted completely thus being able to fit 24 starfighters side by side or twelve on the deck and twelve on racks.

Iron_lord likes this.
  22. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Imagine a Nebulon-B separating at will to come at the enemy from two angles... or after being cut in half, ditching damaged spine sections and reattaching the next sections to repair itself and move on just a little bit shorter... this ship keeps on giving!

We've maxed out the Nebulon-B... so I throw another challenge at my fellow Fleetjunkies:

On to the Nebulon-C!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's hull plating, while nit Imperial smooth and more round-ish, proofs a more covered up version might exist like speculated for the Nebulon-B by ECHenry. Clearly visible above even are around the spine some reinforced hull plates on spikes hinting either at an originally thicker midsection with empty space to fill up once more, or these are modifications not part of original design to protect vital weak points.
    Also of note are the appendices once more, who are more numerous than on the Nebulon B, adding sideways angles and while not symmetric, the opposite side looks as if it could attach appendix clips easily in empty sections shaped like the opposite sides appendix connecting to the main ship. So this could be turned too into a Quad-version!

The ships of the Sequels are even more unshapely and weird looking with crazy angles, appendices and empty spaces that need to be made sense of! Even the Virgillia-class Bunkerbuster Ninka and the Anodyne, stated to be an already modified Nebulon-C frigate beg the question of how we can max out their capacities. The Ninka's bunkerbuster has some asymmetrical elements that pain me. As for the Anodyne, what parts are modified, which are its natural look? Or is its look entirely natural and the mods are interior only? Given other sources tend to take movie appearances verbatim into other sources, seeing a variant of it is unlikely. Nevertheless, lets try. And, what can we learn from Nebulon-C design that may give us clues about the Nebulon-B, like inuniverse design history, improvements etc.

The Nebulon-C Crosssection states the additional spine hull plating is jury rigged and not standard issue. The engineering section looks quite hollow as if it could fit room for hangar space once more! The appendices are for docking but I bet one can fit other appendices into its sideways docking areas. Given medical usage once more, this ship is decked out for medical use but free up all the medical elements of the crosssection and you got plenty of space for pilots, fighters and more. Docking arms can even dock more ships or connect to larger vessels. Imagine 2 Nebulon-Cs docked to each other paralell flying tandem with in between them a massive space for fighter carrying!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Ninkas design is ingriguing in that it leaves a lot of empty space and spreads out the ship wider instead of attaching these outlier sections closer to the middle main hull. Either one might fit something in these empty spaces, pods, ships, whatever may be docked there, or there could be versions of the Bunkerbuster without these appendices which then would resemble a Blockade Runner more than anything else. These outlier appendices each feature 4 heavy ordnance pods as the Crosssection calls them seem on their underside barely visible in the crosssection that can drop bombs and payloads down below. With the outliers barely if at all connected by anything traverseable to the main ship, does crew not leave it during missions?
    Of note are the additional external Hullplate reinforcements to the side of the middle section in the front. Those cover specifically the "empty space" areas as if there was something needing extra protection from incoming frontal fire. I suspect these empty spaces docked even more bombs and explosives or other droppeable pods at some point.
    The midsections Plasma bombs are asymmetrical with 2 on one side, 1 on the other but also the docking rack on one side is shorter. Casuality of war or by design? Symmetrical placement of two or more bombs on each side in even wider racks would be possible.
    If reconfiguring a Bunkerbuster to Starfightr carrier, all these docking options and spaces once more give us plenty to play with!
    The Bunkerbuster even has a small hangar on its lowest deck midship as the crosssection shows in a tiny detail it harbors a ship like the one Rose and Finn take to Canto Bight, like those detacheable Resistance Transport Cockpit smallcrafts.

Last but not least... Han Solo's Eravana Freigher would make for a sweet Fighter Carrier would one replace cargo containers with Fighter docking and use its front hangar maw as maintanance station. It might even rival a Quasarfire-class in capacity! How many fighters of what type could it carry?

[​IMG]

Chrissonofpear2 and Iron_lord like this.
  23. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    The Eravana is a pretty large ship, isn't it? How were Han and Chewie running it all by themselves?

Sinrebirth and Iron_lord like this.
  24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Let's just say he used to have a bigger crew. [face_devil]

25. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    [face_devil]

Sinrebirth and Iron_lord like this.