main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    We see ship shields in TLJ.

Also, regarding the Starhawk differences, are we sure that their builds are standardized? I always assumed not, one because they are put together partly from parts of other ships, and two because the Republic was made up of members of the highly individualized Rebel Alliance who practically had not one ship like another (exaggerating, but you know what I mean).

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    clone commander bossk likes this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Only when turbolaser bolts or torpedoes hit the shields. Between hits, as I recall, the shields are invisible.

The same is true in TCW in the Cat and Mouse episode, where we see torpedoes hitting the "thermo-shields" of Trench's ship.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  3. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Oh, okay, I didn't catch that caveat in the conversation.

4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I got the idea that "shields that happen to be visible at all times" was what was under contention, from the underlined bits:

The2ndQuest likes this.
  5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah- shield strikes have been visible since ANH (that's what a lot of the flashes during the opening sequence are, for instance), even when the shields themselves are otherwise invisible.

6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup - the improvements in graphics, allow a little "shield surface" to show as part of the flashes, rather than just a flash on its own.

7. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    When did science fiction writers come up with the idea of energy shields? I was hoping TV Tropes would have an answer for me, but apparently not.

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_field_(fiction)

The concept of a force field goes back at least as far as early 20th century. The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction suggests that the first use of the term in science fiction appears to happen in 1931, in Spacehounds of IPC by E.E. 'Doc' Smith.[1]

An early precursor of what is now called "force field" may be found in William Hope Hodgson's The Night Land (1912), where the Last Redoubt, the fortress of the remnants of a far-future humanity, is kept safe by "The Air Clog" generated by the burning "Earth-Current".[2][1]

JediBatman and Alpha-Red like this.
  9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    If you take them to be "force fields", then, according to wikipedia, the idea dates back to at leas the early 30's, possibly earlier:'

"The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction suggests that the first use of the term in science fiction appears to happen in 1931, in Spacehounds of IPC by E.E. 'Doc' Smith.

An early precursor of what is now called "force field" may be found in William Hope Hodgson's The Night Land (1912), where the Last Redoubt, the fortress of the remnants of a far-future humanity, is kept safe by "The Air Clog" generated by the burning "Earth-Current"."
    EDIT- Iron ninja'd!!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    JediBatman, Alpha-Red and Iron_lord like this.
  10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    There's one good TV Tropes reference:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DeflectorShields

Literature
    • The "Air-Clog" is a shield generated by running the Earth-Current through a circular conductor surrounding the Last Redoubt in William Hope Hodgson's The Night Land. Given that The Night Land was published in 1912, this may be the first fully realized description of a technology-based force field in all of literature.

JediBatman and Alpha-Red like this.
  11. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Ah okay, I guess I missed that.

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It's easy to miss stuff on TV Tropes. Lots of times I've been digging around for a reference I recall seeing before, and it takes ages.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  13. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    So we've confirmed that it's not just artistic license, some energy shields are visible, others are invisible unless impacted by laser fire. So there could be a similar split when it comes to visible tractor beams and invisible tractor beams.

Some loose rules would appear to be:
    • Shields that surround ships are invisible unless hit by laser fire
    • Shields that are connected to or interact with a physical object are visible (see the Scarif shield gate, the shields on the Invisible Hand's hangar, Gungan's energy shields).
    Now I was going to theorize here that invisible shields are Ray Shields (which block energy) and visible shields are Particle Shields (which block solid objects). After all, the Scarif shield and Invisible Hand hangar shield block ships from entering. (The hangar shields seem to block air from escaping as well).

Buuuut there are a number of holes with this. Greivous traps Obi-wan, Anakin, and Palps using ray shields, which are clearly visible. (Apparently even though they block energy and not solid objects, going through them would electrocute you). The shield on Hoth blocks ships from entering or leaving, but is apparently invisible. (Though it could be that we just never got a good enough angle on it in the film). And of course the very visible Gungan shields block laser fire but allows the droids to enter.

The2ndQuest , Iron_lord and Snafu55 like this.
  14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Speed may be a factor. The visible droideka shields block both laser fire and fast-moving objects, but a slowly rolled grenade will pass through.

The Scarif shield was visible in scenes after the shield gate was destroyed (the Tantive IV escape scenes) so we know that while destroying the shield gate opened a hole in the shield there, it did not destroy the whole shield, or render the whole shield invisible.

Ketan-Shej, Long Snoot and JediBatman like this.
  15. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Where did the 25,000 number for the old EU fleet come from when Han says pretty clearly that the Imperial fleet is less then a thousand ships in ANH?

16. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    Where does he give the size of the fleet in ANH?

17. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Han says that the whole imperial fleet couldn’t have destroyed Alderaan. It would have taken “a thousand ships and more firepower—“ and then he’s cut off.

Snafu55 likes this.
  18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    EU (West End Games) nailed down the number of sectors as roughly 1000, then the number of Star Destroyers in a standard Sector group as 24, then the novel authors took that number and ran with it.

Han's quote in the ANH novel, was:

"No ... the entire Imperial fleet couldn't have done this. It would take a thousand ships massing a lot more firepower than has ever existed."

That, through the "bigger fleet" lens - could have been interpreted as "a thousand of the biggest ships in the fleet" - the Super Star Destroyers, which themselves actually number vastly less than 1000.

19. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Just poking around Wookieepedia...looks like 25,000 Star Destroyers comes from Specter of the Past. In Disney canon they used the same number, and it first appears in Star Wars: Uprising.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    comradepitrovsky and Tuskin38 like this.
  20. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    Ohh right.

Iron_lord likes this.
  21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    That was probably its first use in a printed novel, yes.

SWTC's comment on the subject was

"Accords well with estimates of the number of sectors in the galaxy (order of a thousand) and the regulation minimum number of star destroyers per sector group."

22. Long Snoot

Long Snoot Jedi Master star 2

Mar 1, 2018
    Since we're in the topic, how big would you think the First Order navy is? I'm going to guess no more than 500-1000 Resurgents if "old ISDs are still the bulk of the navy" is still considered canon (despite the fact we haven't seen that shown anywhere as far as I recall).

Chrissonofpear2 likes this.
  23. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    The one that goes down over Jakku is either an ISD or a Xyston. It definitely doesn't have the Resurgent shape.
    [​IMG]

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  24. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Depends on the angle.

It's not like we've had much of view angles of Resurgent-class Star Destroyers.

I reckon it is a Resurgent-class Star Destroyer.

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  25. Long Snoot

Long Snoot Jedi Master star 2

Mar 1, 2018
    Yeah that's a Resurgent, ISDs have the four "squares" (the little missing spots in the hull) on the sides too but the ones on the front are much longer than the ones on the rear, while on the Resurgent they are the same size. If this was a bottom view it would explain the missing "tail" in the back.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The model isn't official but it looks fairly accurate.

I gotta wonder what a First Order battlecruisers is doing on Jakku (considering even the Empire didn't have the resources to put an ISD on every backwater planet), perhaps they're scrapping old ships like we see on Bracca?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020