main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Here's a funny one: some RPG book said Thrawn's homeworld was Csilla before Chaos Rising revealed it was Rentor and that almost no one lives on Csilla. There's even a scene in the book where he goes to Csilla for the first time and is told about this, that it's been mainly uninhabited for centuries but they keep up the pretense because it's the capital of the Ascendancy. For a few days after the book came out, Wookieepedia said Thrawn grew up on Csilla and simply attended school on Rentor! Thank goodness that didn't stick.

JediBatman, MercenaryAce and Tuskin38 like this.
  2. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    So, per what Thrawn McEwok asked, the picture of the Battle of Nar Shaddaa is the main one seen in the Wookieepedia article, showing the Dreadnaught's upper blisters opened up, with two large turbolasers inside, back to back (XV or XI models, maybe) If these are part of the ten heavy turbolaser cannons, the lower gun blisters presumably have only one gun each. There's also possible 'gunslots' on the Essential Guide TV&V picture, 2 each side on the upper bow, and three per side on the lower stern, that may hold lighter turbolaser cannons or batteries (though I at times take the firing arc data from WEG as a loose guideline, only) Seems like a lot of broadside and forward firepower. 'Newer' models may have replaced the 'slots' with turret boxes, though.

Iron_lord likes this.
  3. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Based on the engine being called attention to I assume that is the biggest thread to pull on but there is not much there sadly. It might have just been that Sienar produced engines(maybe more than sublight) for the vessel specifically rather than Telgorn having to purchase from them during construction.

It also very well could mean they just created it together. The resources being the cutting edge of both companies combined as well as their engineers

4. Long Snoot

Long Snoot Jedi Master star 2

Mar 1, 2018
    Bad Batch
    It seems the class IV container transport from Rebels was introduced very early, either early Empire or late Republic. I guess it makes sense given the Arquitens inspiration.

P4KISTAN and Snafu55 like this.
  5. Sans_Fi

Sans_Fi Jedi Grand Master star 1

Dec 23, 2003
    Hello, @maredfield, @scoutthetrooper and myself have measured Gideon's Arquitens and concluded that it is 325m, the official size of the Arquitens.

First of all, the bridge, since Gideon is 1.75m that makes this section of the bridge about 8.3m. With that measurement you can mesure the entire bridge. Which then fits with the 325m size of the Arquitens

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And secondly, the TIE docking bay.
    If you use the schematics shown in the last episode you get that if the Arquitens is 325m the space between the prongs is about 7m wide. A TIE Fighter is 6,4m wide and you can see one nudged in there:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The reason why it feels bigger than the Arquitens in The Clone Wars and Rebels (both the bridge and the exterior) is because the ship was originally much smaller, but later it was officially measured as 325m. In the Battlefront games they used the 325m size but didn't really change that much the design to fit that new measurement.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That's the Legends figure. Newcanon TIEs are a bit wider at 6.7m. Still fit.

For some reason somebody on Wookieepedia listed it as 8.8m, citing the Owner's Workshop Manual. I have the book and it is not that wide there. Nor does their figure match the standard "2 short dimensions and 1 long dimension" figure usually given for TIE models.

Compare to Curtis Saxton's model figures:

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/exhibit/scale.html

TIE fighter: 36 x 38 x 48 cm

https://www.theforce.net/swtc/tie.html
    The stated dimensions of the special effects model of the standard TIE Fighter are 36cm x 38cm x 48cm. The model was built to the 1/16 scale convention, so its absolute width, length and height are (with appropriate precision) equal to: 5.76±0.08m, 6.08±0.08m and 7.68±0.08m.

The scale has been changed a little, but "TIEs are longer than they are wide" ought to still be true.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    Chrissonofpear2 and Tuskin38 like this.
  7. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    Great work with those measurements Sans_fi and co.

I feel this belongs here as well, TIE Defender and B-Wing Cockpit screenshots from Squadrons

8. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    One thing I was a little disappointed in about Slave 1....
    we did not see a pivoting command deck like the cross section shows.

[​IMG]

Vialco and clone commander bossk like this.
  9. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    When they take off from the prison planet, you do see the ship rotate from the inside

What I'm confused about is where the passenger seats are, they're next to a window somewhere.

10. vstarvan

vstarvan Jedi Master star 2

Aug 11, 2013
    They're directly under the pilot's seat, between the wings of the ship.

Vialco likes this.
  11. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
  12. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I am very glad to see some of these designs get reused. I have fond memories of flipping through the Episode 3 art book and checking out all the cool stuff that never got to be (or was heavily modified at least)

13. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    A lot of unused stuff eventually finds its way into the continuity, doesn't it? The Victory-class and Praetor-class (and probably a bunch more) were both based off unused concept art for the movies.

Vialco and MercenaryAce like this.
  14. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    It's funny when more than one thing based on the same concept art makes it into continuity, like the Consular and the DP20, and the Lasats and those Maz's Castle dudes both based off of Chewie concept art.

15. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Apparently so - thanks for the quick reply and accurate guessing! :D

Thanks for confirming that! :D I always liked the way the WEG fire-arcs place the Dreadnought's heavy guns firing forward and aft, but I agree that's not easy to reconcile with the visible turret pods. [face_thinking]

And thanks to you and @vncredleader for the Telgorn and Sienar references. I'm not sure there's a clear answer to be inferred here, but perhaps that's the best option... [face_thinking]

And @Daneira - I appreciate the old idea that canonicity ought to be maintained, but that's just ridiculous, especially when Csilla is clearly both his ancestral and adopted homeworld... there's no need to try to warp what the text says... :oops:

Yes! :D

Awesome. :D And apparently this is a physical model, not a CGI?!

Perhaps inevitably, I'd counter that if you measure the overall width of the bridge set, those narrow-looking flanking wings seem likely to give a smaller size - I'll be honest, I like the small size of the cartoon version - but this is just a personal preference, and I strongly suspect the narrow bridge wings are the part we're "supposed" to squint at...

Regardless, though, this is completely awesome! :D

As I said when this came up before, I am very amused that SWTC's scaling matches my own extrapolation from the cockpit set. :p The TIE is ~5.75m wide.

- The Imperial Ewok

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
    Chrissonofpear2 and vncredleader like this.
  16. Long Snoot

Long Snoot Jedi Master star 2

Mar 1, 2018
    There's this weird situation right now where both the earliest (from Rebels) and the most modern (from VIII) A-Wings look more similar to each other than to the "middle" model seen in ROTJ, as they are both based off concept art. I guess it could be justified by saying that both mount stock KDY weapons/engines, unlike the ROTJ one.

17. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    True.

Heck, even in this article I noticed one of the ship designs that is being used for the Nihl ships was already in use as the Pyke gunship.

Course, plenty of vehicle designs look similar in real life, so it doesn't me much, just a bit of a chuckle. And if there half a dozen species that are humans with a weird skin color or something, then having a few alien species look similar to each other is hardly a big deal.

JediBatman likes this.
  18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Random thought- let's say the NR is rebuilding their fleet after ROS and decide they need a Starhawk Mark II. Now, the original Starhawks were partially built from captured ISDs. Since all of the XSDs were destroyed at Exegol, that leaves, primarily, any lingering FO RSDs as potential part donors. Would RSDs, being larger than ISDs, make for a larger Starhawk II? Or do they end up feeding 2 original-sized Starhawks (just with updated internals).

19. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    I really don't like this idea of taking pieces of Star Destroyers to build Starhawks. Nobody builds ships like that. Either the Star Destroyer's hull is still perfectly useable and you should keep using it...or if it's not, then break it up, melt down the metal and then maybe use that for building a new ship.

Nobody145, Sly442 and JediBatman like this.
  20. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I think it is pretty cool. Would love to see more unused concept as 'new' ships in any of the new shows.

Sean_Connery likes this.
  21. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    What bugs me more is it makes it seem like the metal used to make Star Destroyers is super unique and rare . . . it can't be that rare if the Empire has thousands of them. The Empire already has the Rebels outnumbered and they tend to have larger ships, saying they've got special armor is going overboard on the whole underdog thing IMO.

Sly442 and Alpha-Red like this.
  22. TheNerdyOne_

TheNerdyOne_ Jedi Knight star 2

May 24, 2015
    Without getting too much into a Starhawk rant, it's an ideological thing. The New Republic's biggest task post-Endor wasn't to defeat the Empire, it was to convince the rest of the galaxy to join them and rebuild. The Starhawk kills two birds with one stone. It turns a symbol of oppression into a symbol of hope, and simultaneously creates a powerful warship to show that the NR has the muscle to protect its citizens. The very existence of the Starhawk is a huge ideological victory.

Expecting an idealist government to be utilitarian is just never going to work. And it shouldn't. The task of convincing a fractured galaxy that had suffered through two galactic wars and decades of oppression to come together and join the new "galactic government of the week" is not an easy thing to do, and they needed every single advantage they could find. Whether it's the most efficient use of salvage or not, the Starhawk is a huge deal in that respect. I don't think it implies anything about the metal being used at all, plus we know that the NR was using captured Star Destroyers, so the Starhawk only really impacted potential salvage which could be used for new ships. Small price to pay.

As far as post-ROS goes, I'd personally love a new Starhawk-style ship, but I don't think it's necessary. The First Order was barely established at all, and the galaxy as a whole was already pretty united against them. Plus the NR was pretty militarized, it just didn't have a centralized military. As the battle of Exegol shows, NR member worlds have plenty of firepower at their disposal, and their supply lines wouldn't have been too effected by the temporary First Order incursion.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
    Daneira, Senator Wan and Iron_lord like this.
  23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think that's correct- Exegol specifically is meant to be "just people", not member world navies. Now, at the scale of the fleet, I'm sure some were from a defense fleet somewhere. But the FO was seemingly able to blockade the core pretty tightly, and deny safe harbor to the Resistance on most worlds, following their blitzkrieg to the point that most places were actively hopeless against them.

I think we're also meant to assume that the ID4-style montage at the end of ROS wasn't happening all at once and that taking down the RSDs over Bespin and Endor (and, presumably, other worlds) took place over some time (and, even if Endor and Bespin were concurrent to the immediate post-Exegol timeframe, most other places wouldn't be simultaneous to them, at the very least).

And it's in the campaign against the entrenched, wide-spread FO forced there where new Starhawks would find a purpose. Especially given how much the Fo was focused on developing everything bigger and badder- who knows what left over superweapon tech they had out there to bolster their hold out forces with?

Afterall, if a VenSD can have S-PHATs fire out of its docking bay to take down a Seppie ship, surely a battering ram cannon or two pointing outside an RSD could do some serious damage.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  24. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Well what I meant was...if you're taking material from an old ship and recycling that into components for a new ship, that makes perfect sense. If you're taking an entire chunk of an old ship and integrating that into a new one, well that wouldn't make sense.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    Fire Dog likes this.
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, looking at a Starhawk, maybe they did use the basic hull as a foundation but built upon it with the new forward section (chopping off the nose of the wedge), detaching the drive components into the Neb-B-style rear section while relocating "smaller" components like the shield globes, etc forward.