main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Grevious_Coward

Grevious_Coward Jedi Knight star 1

May 30, 2020
    Some of the ships in that shot might be modified versions of Gorian Shard's ship. The two on the right seem to have the same hull shape (minus the wings), and the left one of the two, looks like it might have the crescent bow.
    [​IMG]
    The large ship (with the dazzle camo) is pretty heavily armed, I count at least 18 visible turrets; 12 turrets that could be be quads (like on Gorian Shard's ship), and what looks like 6 turrets in the middle rear (hard to see if they have barrels or not).
    Interestingly, if the 12 turrets are the same as the ones on Gorian Shard's ship, then the ship may not be as large as it initially appears - The Pelta class behind it may also give an idea of its size, as it looks like it could be close to it, which could point to the ship being 300-400 metres long.

Not exactly the best match up. Something like a Resurgent vs Allegiance, or I suppose Mandator IV vs Bellator would have been closer.

2. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I don’t post much here these days, but I’ve been reading the Thrawn Trilogy and Dark Empire a lot lately and I’ve been wondering about the timing of the pre-Shadow Hand campaign.

The Battle of Bilbringi happens on 44:8:27. Thrawn dies nine months into 9 ABY. All sources I’ve seen say that Dark Empire took place in 10 ABY. We know that the New Republic remains in control of Coruscant for months after Thrawn’s death. The NRDF takes out Delak Krennel a month or two after Thrawn’s death. Perhaps we could call that as 44:10:24. I’ll have to go back to my notes on Isard’s Revenge to determine exactly how long it spans in terms of time. The party at the end of that book takes place two weeks after Isard’s death on the Lusankya.

The pre-Shadow Hand campaign must take place very soon after that. The Essential Guide to Warfare lists the coalition (which Isard had a hand in arranging) launching their attacks from the New Territories and the Deep Core hours after her death. But that can’t be correct, as Rogue Squadron and their allies were celebrating on the Lusankya two weeks after that. I’m curious if anyone has any thoughts on this or if this has been pondered or calculated before.

Personally, I have a fondness for the theory that the Deep Core invasion armada is making its final preparations while the Hegemony Campaign is commencing. Palpatine wanted the Lusankya to lead the attacks from the New Territories. Alongside Reaper, those two Dreadnoughts would be able to punch through the New Republic forces and unite with the massive fleets coming out of the Core.

I’m a big fan of bookends and connections between books and events. To me, it’s very fitting if Asyr Sei’lar takes the Starweb to Commenor as she promises Iella, only to run into an invasion fleet when she finally gets there.

I’m intensely curious about the pre-Shadow Hand and Shadow Hand campaigns. The fighting there must have been vicious on many fronts.

Chrissonofpear2 and Jedimarine like this.
  3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    @Vialco, I believe Isard’s Revenge covers two months, and Coruscant is attacked literally as Isard’s Revenge ends. Dark Empire can thus begin in 10 ABY.

Vialco likes this.
  4. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 6

Feb 13, 2001
    I think a big reason there has never been an attempt at fitting that story between Thrawn and Dark Empire is precisely because of the challenges to timelines and scale it represents. Additionally, because of the death of Thrawn and the still hidden reborn Emperor, the story would likely need to promote another big baddy to make a compelling narrative. Which means another major character completely ignored by the existing material.

As such, some guide references and inferences are probably the best we are going to get.

Besides, if the Rogues having a party a couple weeks following the start of the attack from the core is the only major problem...that is miles ahead of the "Clone Wars into ROTS" time crunch issues.

Perhaps the initial thrusts out of Core were probing actions, so the Rogues were not immediately mobilized in that direction?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2024
  5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Empire attacks, retreats, counterattacks, collapses into civil war.

It’s only three-four months, after all, so it’s almost necessary to jump to the Imperial Civil War and let the opening crawl do the heavy lifting - much like TROS, to be honest.

But at the same time it’s narratively a nightmare. We build up and beat Thrawn, and then all this goes wrong. But Palpatine striking at the Republic after it barely beats Thrawn is logical…

… once again, it’s not sufficiently telegraphed to not seem badly paced. If anything the Sequels at least had Snoke. With Legends it is almost all retcon, and not per se done for many years.

Chrissonofpear2 and Jedimarine like this.
  6. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    I've always been fascinated with Coruscant during this era.

From the Rogues liberating it...to the NR establishing itself there...to the Empire retaking it and then fighting with itself on it (devastating it in the process)...to the NR retaking and rebuilding it.

All in what...3 years?

The rate of renewal on the capital planet is remarkable.

Vialco likes this.
  7. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    It was actually fully renewed by no earlier than 16 ABY. Nil Spaar commented on that, of all things.

8. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    It takes place after

The lead Pirate in the show is the same one that ran away during the battle in Mando S3

9. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Sure, but insomuch as we had the big construction droids in the JAT working on recovery...that seems like the chapter closing on the violent shifts that had rocked the planet during this era.

Beyond there, having how many stories that treated the world, for all intents and purposes, as fully functional through the back half of the Bantam Era.

A sense of stability and durability to the world, and the NR governance there, was fostered.

A long way to come in short order for a ruined ****scape we saw in the opening of Dark Empire.

And then the cost!

Sinrebirth likes this.
  10. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Oh yeah, I hadn't noticed but several of the ships do look like Cumulus Class corsairs - though there are subtle differences between, it seems like a class of ship that gets customized and modified a lot.

As for the size of the big ship - I suppose we will have to see, but judging by how small the shuttle size protagonist ship looks in comparison despite being much closer to the camera, I wouldn't be surprised if it ISD size or whereabouts. Still, good eye and analysis, I hadn't even noticed the turrets and wondered if the ship was an unarmed carrier.

Grevious_Coward likes this.
  11. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    No, it's closer to four months, going by both the build up to unearthing Pulsar Station, and the latter half.
    Three months is possible, but I got the impression four was closer.
    Also, Coruscant could not be attacked immediately, as Bel Iblis was at the Lusankya debriefing, and needed time to get back to Coruscant (for the events of the Retreat from Coruscant short story)

I also gave a pretty detailed breakdown of likely Last Command through to Jedi Search time frame a year or two ago, elsewhere on the boards - so I might hunt that down again.
    Can even extend it to Children of the Jedi (circa 12.2 ABY?) quite easily too. Then Darksaber within five months?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2024
    Vialco likes this.
  12. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Before the Anakin-Dooku diel in ROTS, when Obi-wan says "this time we will do it together", there's a few fighters that fly past the viewport...ARC-170s followed by a few droid tr-fighters...and you hear the TIE fighter sound. What's with that? I'm pretty sure it's not from the ARC-170, but the close-in shots we had of the tri-fighter don't have them making TIE noises either. So what's up with this? Was George Lucas just throwing in some familiar sound effects just haphazardly?

13. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
  14. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Those are fun designs. I noticed the Rogue Class are specifically called Rogue Class gunships, and they look like the gunship that Ranzer was going to send out after Din.

On news of Outlaws ships
    I see there is an achievement for destroying the capital ship of each faction, but I can't find any info on what these are, or if they even are different and not just the Viper corvettes everyone uses - anyone else hear anything about them?

15. Pons

Pons Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 11, 2019
    [​IMG]

Just noticed a Vesper-type on the Republic Under Siege cover, which would make it a pre-Jakku design.

Interestingly, Victory's Price mentions 3 NR "heavy cruisers" of an undetermined class that were destroyed during Jakku: the Brightsaber, Hunting Hound, and Serenade. Those could be Vesper-types as well.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2024
  16. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Looking more into the achievement:
    Alas, there is not a unique capital ship design for each cartel, or even individual ship names. Though only two are Vipers, the other two are a different design called the SRT-X Manta. Looks a bit bigger, and like a hammerhead corvette on its side.

17. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Would it be a Vesper-type? Or a Dauntless/Marsheem-class? It has that little fin on the back.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Dauntless-class_heavy_cruiser

MercenaryAce likes this.
  18. Pons

Pons Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 11, 2019
    The profile from that angle fits the Vesper more, and the Vesper also has a fin. The U-shaped trench on the bottom also seems to match.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2024
    Grevious_Coward and MercenaryAce like this.
  19. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Thanks...don't remember seeing that fin on the Vesper.

There are a few walk throughs for the Trailblazer already posted...you even see the refresher.

20. Cracian_Thumper

Cracian_Thumper Jedi Master star 3

Feb 7, 2015
    Wow, that really captures the 1970s "used future" aesthetic of the OT!

21. Grevious_Coward

Grevious_Coward Jedi Knight star 1

May 30, 2020
    Definitely looks like a Vesper-type. I did get the impression that it was supposed to be a post war design, built more for defence than war, but the Dawnbringer's description mentions that it was built at the start of the New Republic, so the design could potentially work as a pre-Jakku design.

Pons likes this.
  22. Pons

Pons Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 11, 2019
    I get the impression it's designed for long, singleton patrols across NR space, with provisions for a variety of roles. Combat, law enforcement, transport, exploration, humanitarian aid etc. A standardized design for every role, with heavy automation to reduce manpower needs, would make sense for a smaller NRDF that's still contending with Imp remnants. I'd also wager it's a joint Mon Cal-Corellian design, with the bulk of production happening on Corellia.

Hopefully we learn more when the comics come out. It's a sweet design.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2024
  23. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Asymmetrical Doors...

:mad:

24. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Nice collection of some of the new fighters from Outlaws:

25. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    They look like AI cooked them up...mashed together from other Star Wars fighters.

Nothing that hasn't been done for decades...but at least in the past a human hand might add a flourish or two.

You can look at each of those designs and pick out the 2 or 3 other craft they ripped off and stuck together.

Pons and Sly442 like this.