main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Winner Wacky Wednesday 29x!! star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 2, 2012
    They might be the exact same type - just drawn differently - with the deeper hull on the Rebels Lambda being "artistic licence" in the same way that smaller wings on TIEs were, and possibly the elongated necks and small turrets on Rebels ISD-Is, too.

Sometimes Rebels differences are "real" (as with AT-ATs, going by the galleries on Starwars.com for the episodes using them) and sometimes they're not.

2. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    How did Saw get a U-wing? Defectors from the Alliance?

3. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    May have gotten one directly from Bail (or more likely Breha since she was more accepting of him) when he acquired them. I doubt the alliance pestered him about giving it back after he left for good

4. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    I really wish the Partisans hadn't been killed off and became a recurring antihero faction to rival the Alliance. Partly because of the neat stories like the cavern angels, mostly for the paint scheme.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  5. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Any thoughts on the theory that there were two SSDs at Endor?

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...-battle-in-return-of-the-jedi.50041047/page-9

[​IMG]

Personally I favour a more minimalist approach, and rationalize any such oddities as being compositing issues - but I'd be interested in seeing if other people think all previous newcanon info on the Battle of Endor (30 ISDs, 1 SSD - Star Wars On The Front Lines) should be retconned or not.

jasonfry summed it up best:

http://eleven-thirtyeight.com/2015/10/our-journey-with-jason-fry-part-two/

It’s a related point, but you used to see a lot of proposed retcons that ignored this principle: “Well we only saw the Executor in Return of the Jedi but in fact there were ten SSDs at Endor, and…” No. Absolutely not. That might work from a world-building perspective, but it’s inadmissible from a storytelling perspective. If you want lots of SSDs in Imperial service that’s fine, but you can’t get there by saying they were lurking just off-screen at Endor, because you’re undermining the film that’s the heart of all that storytelling.

6. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Different models, the interior the way the box is made, would make it impossible to enter and exit the cockpit like you would on the movie model. It's like the stock Nu-class transport vs. the one that carries an entire cargo hold later in TCW. Also, we know the Sentinel-class is also capable of changing the cargo hold, to carry smaller vehicles. I assume it's a modular design and the wing-guns on the Lambda can be moved up or down.

Yeah, that shot of the Executor and the fleet is most likely just flipped. It's funny that Jason added a bunch of "off-screen" Interdictors to the battle in canon, though. I think he took the joke. ;)

7. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016

Yeah I think that is the case here. It's time and cost effective to use what they already had with the Imperial lander to create the Lambda shuttle rather than starting from scratch. So the Lambda shuttle looks a little different in Rebels, that doesn't need explaining in universe though. Just like how animated people look different than real ones and that doesn't have to be explained in universe.

8. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    See my explanation about the entry to the cockpit, though.

9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Given that it's now very similar to the Sentinel - maybe people get into the Lambda's cockpit the same way they do the Sentinel's?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  10. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    I'd rather say that its just Rebels interpretation of the Lambda shuttle, than say that there are two different versions of the same ship in canon.

Vthuil and Star_Desperado like this.
  11. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    I tend to agree, do we think there are multiple in-universe iterations of standard stormtrooper or clone trooper armor and that they keep switching between them or do we just accept it as the nature of movie prop making and that they're all supposed to look identical even if we notice differences?

I don't think the ultra-wide jawlines, thin chins, and glossy black grilles of phase 1 clone helmets in TCW are an entirely different set of armors from the kind we see in AOTC. I think it's just the stylistic expediency of animation. Look at all the Sideshow Toys models of the same characters like Wolffe and Rex for example, they switch 'em back into the fat-chinned toothy-grilled clone helms.

And it works the other way around too. Even though there were only a few models produced for ROTJ, and the limit of compositing technology went up to about 60 things on screen at a time, we know by implication that there were vastly more ships present at the Battle of Endor, and that they were not all identical within their class even though we see the same model reused for simplicity's sake.

It all depends on what's being implied. There are multiple usages of the Home One model, but we know there's only one Home One. There are different visual models of the Lambda, but as far as we're aware, there's only supposed to be one type of Lambda, they just look different based on the medium.

12. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008

Agree 100%. Other ships - like the TIE Fighters - are proportioned differently in Rebels than they are in the movies but to the best of my knowledge they haven't had to invent a separate variant name for it. It is the Lambda-class, just 'Rebels-ified'.

13. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    There is variability in production runs of a single ship on a single planet, so craft that are built at multiple worlds across a galaxy, with various access to materials and local differences in requirements could easily account for a lot of these somewhat alternate designs- See things like the ISD Kuat vs Corellia vs Cymoon refits.

Another similar hand-wave is model years- compare say a 1985 Toyota Corolla to one from 1998, or 2015. Incremental changes year to year, but put them side by side and they look far different.

14. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016

Yeah you see this is the kind of thing I don't need in canon. Of course you could explain it away to these unlikely things like "This is an older version" or "This Lambda shuttle has the Corellian refit". But why bother? There is no need to explain it in universe.

Gamiel likes this.
  15. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    I think I remember seeing some sort of First Order shuttle (in the same style as a Lambda) in one of the recent Poe Dameron comics. Does anyone have a pic of it handy? Or can someone at least tell me if I'm not remembering correctly?

I saw this screengrab from the trailer and thought maybe they were the same.
    [​IMG]

Star_Desperado likes this.
  16. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    Thanks for posting this, and yeah, it's pretty much certainly the same. Looks infinitely better than Kylo's dingbat Upsilon.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  17. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
  18. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Triple. This forum is in terrible health

19. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016

And now I see the system has deleted my 2nd post of the 3 which is the one that I left with my post in, meaning I have to post it again with another double post [face_not_talking]

bsmith7174 is this the one you wanted?
    [​IMG]

bsmith7174 likes this.
  20. bsmith7174

Apr 17, 2015
    Yes, thank you! It sure does look like the same thing, right?
    [​IMG]

21. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Good catch on the new shuttle, guys! I agree- much more in line w/ classic Imperial shuttle, far better looking that Kylo's shuttle for sure.

--Adm. Nick

22. bsmith7174

Apr 17, 2015
    Snafu55 likes this.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yep -- looks like a match to me, and looks far better than Kylo's hideous shuttle. I swear, both Kylo and Krennic have the same ugly design taste.

As for the two SSDs at Endor thing, no comment except to say, golly, SSDs look pretty.

24. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Another strike at TFA's design philosophy (or complete lack thereof) with this TLJ shuttle. :D

25. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Then why did they make different models of the Nu-class in TCW when there was never a need for it? They didn't make big deliveries, but the cargo hold was turned into a big cube, similar to the big cargo hold on this Rebels Lambda.

26. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I never much liked Krennic's shuttle, but love Kylo's one. This new one doesn't actually look that much different other than the colour and the extra fin.