main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books From a Certain Point of View, [A New Hope] 40th anniversary anthology novel (#OperationBlueMilk)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord 26X Wacky Wednesday/23x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 2, 2012
    In the Tarkin thread, I mentioned that nearly everybody is on the young side, not just Motti. That said, even if we assume "character is 10 years older than actor" we only get late twenties for him.

Jedi Princess likes this.
  2. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Thanks for that. It does add new context to "This bickering is pointless!" since Tarkin is almost a literal baby sitter for these guys, yikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Jerjerrod from Tarkin is unlikely to be Tiaan Jerjerrod as Rebel Files makes the later about 39 in ROTJ, this meant he would've been 21 so clearly it isn't him.

4. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    The digital edition apparently was updated - my print copy reads "We were in the main conference room on the officer's desk - Vice Admiral Tallatz, Rear Admiral Tiaan Jerjerrod, Kendal Ozzel, Commander Cassio Tagge, Admiral Nils Tenant, and myself - discussing the relative threat levels..." Interesting!

5. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    If I remember correctly, Join the Resistance does establish the Jerjerrods as being a family with a tradition of military service, so that's possible. Maybe the Jerjerrod who appears in ROTJ is Tiaan Jerjerrod Jr.?

6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    He may be a "boy genius" - recruited primarily for his design skills.

7. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Tarkin didn't give Jerjerrod a first name - just called him Jerjerrod. In LEGENDS, there was an Admiral Jerjerrod running around during the early Empire. I reckon its supposed to be him. Even stretching boy genius, Tiaan couldn't be a rear admiral at 21 (maybe a commander or captain).

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    If the Rebel Files bit was of him as late 39, and was a month or two before the actual battle, then he might be as much as 40, and 23 in Tarkin.

Still young - but perhaps his rank is for "administrative purposes" - with him coming up through the engineering track and not being expected to actually command fleets.

PCCViking likes this.
  9. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    It must have been updated. I’m not near my copy of the book at the moment, but it definitely just uses the same Joint Chiefs from Tarkin. (EDIT: I see this has already been stated)

And yes, my headcanon is also that the Motti in Tarkin is Conan’s father.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  10. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Is Master and Apprentice (the short story) in this Anthology, good? I’m trying to give Claudia Gray a second chance for her novel Master and Apprentice in February.

11. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Very good.

Yunzabit and tatooinesandworm like this.
  12. theraphos

theraphos Jedi Knight star 2

May 20, 2016
    I thought it was pretty good; she did a lovely job writing what it's like to be a no-self Force ghost, and correctly portrayed being free of an individual identity in the Force in the positive way Lucas intended (and borrowed from real-world religions). She also sidestepped the usual "blame game" about Anakin's fall, in that while the situation is discussed it's acknowledged that at the end of the day Anakin still had the training and the wisdom to make a better choice and actively chose not to.

So it was good on the spiritual points and a mature approach to the endless Anakin arguments in fandom, IMO. But I will note that there was a certain amount of...I don't know what to call it, almost fawning in the narration over how wonderful and nobly-suffering Obi-Wan is, in the sort of way that I notice in "published fanfic" from time to time when an author who maybe has a stash of actual fanfic about their favorite character somewhere can't quite restrain themselves when writing professionally. M&A was not 5% as bad in this respect as Wild Space, though, which pretty quickly turned into a cliche over-the-top hardcore hurt/comfort fanfiction and stayed one all the way through.

So I'm overall optimistic, but also keeping my fingers crossed that Gray can do a longer story featuring Obi-Wan and not get carried away like Miller did from being a little too in love with the character.

Barriss_Coffee and Yunzabit like this.
  13. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    Sounds good even though I love John Jackson Miller

14. theraphos

theraphos Jedi Knight star 2

May 20, 2016
    Wild Space was Karen Miller.

Daneira likes this.
  15. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    Yeah I thought it was weird that you didn't say Kenobi or A New Dawn. Brainfart…..

16. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    Has a paperback edition of this been announced yet?

17. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    We don't currently have plans to release the book in paperback.

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I have a paperback edition. So it's already been released in paperback. I'm guessing there's no plans to re-release it with the corrections the digital edition got, for a while though.

19. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    The paperback edition you have is a special markets paperback only available in certain territories (the UK for instance) under limited circumstances. What I assume Rokur was asking after was a formal paperback release in the US and broader territories as normal.

So to reiterate, there is no "normal" paperback release planned.

Daneira likes this.
  20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Fair enough.

21. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    That was indeed what I was wondering, thanks!

22. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    That's awesome--glad they fixed that.

TC

DarthJaceus likes this.
  23. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Did they? If yes, that's great. I must confess the initial list bothered me.
    Can you confirm, @DarthInternous?

24. KerkKorpil

KerkKorpil Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2016
    From my digital copy.

[​IMG]

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

25. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012