main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit From Endor to Exegol - The State of the Galaxy Discussion Thread (Tagged Victory's Price Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Sep 6, 2015.

1. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    Even on modern Earth, it's a hard sell to justify starting a war over just one or a handful of soldiers being killed. A war against the First Order would be a full-scale stellar conflict - one that could kill millions or billions of beings - less that 30 years into the reign of a government founded on the promise to bring "peace and justice" back to the galaxy. It would also be declaring war on an enemy whose capabilities and vulnerabilities the Republic knew nothing about. Sure, they could send a fleet bombing down the Braxtant Run, but what do they do when they get to Bastion/Sartinaynian with nothing but the Unknown Regions in front of them? Start launching probe droids and hope for the best? There were plenty of practical military and political reasons to at least delay declaring war other than "the New Republic is bad at things."

I took it as a measure of pilot skill, not political restraint. There are very few militaries, even those as restrained as the Republic's, that would not allow their troops to return fire against an enemy making an honest effort to kill them.

2. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    This...The Red TIE Pilot was just too good of a pilot...even Poe said something about it.

vncredleader likes this.
  3. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Yeah, considering how good a pilot Poe is it is really saying something that he got put on the defensive by the major here.

(Which does admittedly make the whole turning Kaz into a spy thing all the weirder - he got Poe's attention by his piloting skills, and for all else we see Kaz bumble at, he shows both in this dogfight and in his race against Torra Doza that he is good at piloting. So why not recruit him as a pilot for the Resistance?
    Or at least maybe the spy premise would have worked better if Kaz has specifically been sent in to be one of the fighter jocks on the station as his cover. Maybe even make it his mission to join the local defense squadron and get into Doza tower.

I mean, it isn't a major issue for me or anything, I am getting the feeling that Poe is working with limited time and resources here, but it does bug me a bit. I have been loving pretty much everything else though)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  4. cloneCommando1138

cloneCommando1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2005
    very true on the border engagement issue—I really hope we get to see more NR military-resistance cooperation, as this is something that has sorely been missed in the sequel trilogy. Essentially destroying the Republic wiped away my hopes at seeing them in action against the first order...I’m glad that we are at least getting a tidbit of this, even if it’s only three x-wings.

Do people think we will get a taste of the New republics home fleet in resistance? That would be pretty amazing

Darth Caliban and vncredleader like this.
  5. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    If we go to Hosnian Prime this season, I'm sure we'll see the home fleet in orbit. If we get a look at the Starhawks, I'll die of delight.

--Adm. Nick

6. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Should have had them on the cover of one of the Aftermath books. And don't really need to go to Hosnian Prime to see them. Could have a Republic task force in the area due to pirates who stops over on the station for shore leave.

7. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Actually... this is a fantastic idea. If an NRDF ship or squadron arrived at Colossus, Kaz would potentially have to keep a low profile. Especially if the New Republic pilots/officers who took shore leave were former associates of his.

--Adm. Nick

8. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I could deal with that sort of slapstick dodging and hiding.

9. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I think there's multiple possible reasons.

1. Kaz is a great pilot but the Resistance is not engaged in active combat against the First Order.

2. They didn't want to tick off his Dad if he's killed so he's put in a (theoretically) low intensity mission.

3. They don't have the resources for putting him in a pilot's seat versus other volunteers.

4. He WAS expected to be a pilot as a spy....which he is.

BobaMatt likes this.
  10. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Then just don't recruit him.

11. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    How much trouble could he get into being a mechanic watching First Order activity?

12. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Shot in the head if the FO finds out he is a spy.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  13. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    It occurred to me that of the "big four" Rebel starfighters that the New Republic updated 3/4:
    • T-70 and T-85 X-wing
    • RZ-2 A-wing
    • B-wing Mk. II
    I'd love to see the successor to a Y-wing or U-wing... maybe one day! Regardless, it's more evidence that a demilitarized NR isn't anti-military, just much more cautious about the size of it's forces and focused on upgrading it's ships to better models that it's earlier days.

--Adm. Nick

DarthPhilosopher and TheRedBlade like this.
  14. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Yeah, and?

It's far less of a risk than active combat operations.

vncredleader likes this.
  15. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Dead is dead....in combat he would have other people watching out for him...as a spy he is on his own.

16. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    Im wondering if the Resistance's new fleet will basically be all old Rebel Alliance ships, (CR90 corvettes, GR-75 medium transports, T-65s, BTL-A4's, B-wings Mark I, MC80a Star Cruisers0.

17. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    This is 6 months away from TFA/TLJ....the Resistance Fleet is basically what we saw get blowed up in TLJ....aside from possibly a few smaller ships like the CR90 we saw in The Recruit. However we can start with the "that CR90 has to get destroyed because it does not appear in the movies" whenever anyone wants.

18. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Ugh. I get it, it's a means to tie up a loose end, but in such an open universe ends don't need to be tied.

The flipside of that is that then someone will say "but then where was it during the ST?" in which the answer would be "having some adventure somewhere else."

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  19. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I was mocking those someones....I believe what we saw in the ST was the Main Fleet...but that there might be a few other assets out there that kept their distance.

20. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I know, I was just so..triggered.

I'm sure there were many even tinier cells of Resistance stationed in various places as look outs, patrols, etc.

21. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    We had two Resistance Mon Cal cruisers not present in TLJ, mind you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheRedBlade likes this.
  22. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    And the survival of Black Squadron shows that Holdo was not being literal (or at least was not literally correct) when she called the members of the Raddus flotilla all that was left of the Resistance.

23. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I always took her statement to be about the resistance as a group. Like sure there are members out there and allies, but many like Black squadron where possibly dead for all they knew. Plus the flotilla is all that is left of the Resistance more or less, like if Black squadron succeeds and the flotilla is destroyed, then they did all that for nothing. There will be no organization left if there are just scattered individuals with no idea if the others are alive or dead. By end the those on the Falcon have hope and cohesion, I can just imagine the fear going on in the heads of any individuals away from the Resistance itself. You might be doing everything you have to set things up for an organization that may not even exist anymore. If Black squadron's mission is any indication, the outliers' goals where to set up safe locations for the resistance. They just have to sit there and do what they can to assist everyone else, with no idea if they are coming.

It would be cool to see a reverse of the Crait bunker scene, like isolated Resistance members and allies waiting for a sign that their fighting to secure safety for something, and getting no reply.

24. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    To be fair if they lost Leia, Ackbar, Holdo and the Raddus in one day I can only consider the Resistance as organisation would be dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I can't wait until we start getting stories about the individuals who received Leia's transmission and refused to respond.