main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Future Anthology Films Possibly On Hold

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth Chiznuk , Jun 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I used to see it that way. Until shows like the Wire, GoT, the Americans, etc came along. I’m still partial to the cinematic medium myself, but TV shows can reach cinematic heights when they hire great directors who care about the visual aesthetic of the show. You combine the deeper characterization with a great look, and it can often beat most movies these days.

If, for example, the makers of the Cassian Show put as much effort into the look of that show as they did with Rogue One (I’m hopeful, as Greig Fraser is DP for both), I think it could be incredible, and perhaps better than what could be told on the big screen in one go.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    Outsourced, Lee_, black_saber and 2 others like this.
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    TV budget is always going to be less than a movie budget, but I do agree that we have had tons of quality shows in the last decade.

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  3. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Game of thrones is really the peak that everyone is looking towards. the feeling, the epic tale and scale.

4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Star Trek Discovery has also shown us what a big-budget space show can look like - IMO barely below the Kelvin movies in visual quality. I expect the Star Wars TV shows will be even better looking.

I still wish the Anthology movies were allowed to live on, as I love the idea of stand-alone SW movies - but I imagine the TV shows will be absolutely spectacular.

5. El_Machete12

El_Machete12 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    There is no excuse for these upcoming Star Wars shows to not have the same cinematic feel as the films, considering the budget and talent going towards it alone. Besides, series' like Game of Thrones, as others have mentioned, prove that there is a new age of television that is just as cinematic, sometimes more so, as the flicks playing in theaters. And if that weren't enough, Mandalorian is reported to have an even bigger budget than GoT.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  6. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    The anothlogy films are great if they can get everything right from the beginning. Solo just left a bad after taste on many people's mouths. It became the first star wars movie to lose money. Furthermore, its great to hear that TM is going to have a bigger budget but in the end, whats the point of having a big budget just to have a bunch of talky talky character scenes and then the action is the same red and green lasers? Nope. Solo was the 6th most expensive movie ever made and look at the results........

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    2Cleva likes this.
  7. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Right. Because that’s definitely what Favreau planned for the action scenes. A few red and green lasers and iris out...

8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    [​IMG]

Outsourced, Gamma626, EHT and 2 others like this.
  9. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  10. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I hope Disney will try to reach out to fans or we will continue down the road of fatigue again,

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  11. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    1) There’s nothing so far to indicate actual fatigue; Solo’s box office has largely been attributed to disasterously poor marketing. If anything, the hype for The Mandalorian every time Favreau posted photos from the set, or the volume of people online demanding the title, indicate the opposite.

2) Even if there was fatigue, a convention attended by the most hardcore fans would not fix it.

3) Lucasfilm has not been insulting the fan base because people didn’t like the movie. That’s something angry children on YouTube like to parrot to justify their rage without actually having context-grounded evidence to support it.

12. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Rian Johnson wasn't...the nicest...to people critical of his film man.

13. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    He had zero issues with people who merely didn't like his movie. He was far nicer than you could have expected any person to be after all the garbage that was thrown his way.

The only people he wasn't particularly nice to, were those who made racist and sexist attacks against cast and crew. And in that regard he was far from alone, see JJ Abrams, Mark Hamill, and a whole group of other people who joined in.

It's astonishing that there are still some people left who believe in the clickbait nonsensical lies that certain youtubers tried to spread. Not one at Disney or Lucasfilm has disrespected or even attacked those who merely voiced their dislike of the movie.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  14. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    There's an instance of somebody @'ing him frustrated that people were telling them off for not liking the movie, and Johnson responded by saying he took issue with that, because everybody was entitled to whatever opinion they held. He's flat out apologized to people who didn't like the movie, and said that all he tried to do was make a film that was true to his relationship with SW. But I've yet to see a single instance, not one, where he was in any way meant to people who didn't like the film. He's only ever responded with anything less than politeness, or at the very least good natured humor, to people who've either attacked him (which is a world away from simple criticism) or, more often, gone after his cast members.

Like, for all the times I've seen this mentioned, I've never been shown the receipts once. Even the people who published the false report last month that Johnson was being removed form his trilogy, which got around fast and is the sort of rumor that could affect someone's reputation, were responded to pretty cordially by RJ.

15. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Exactly. This is a really tired idea. RJ has been more than friendly with those who have had constructive criticisms of the movie. He’s only pushed back on / messed with people who were simply being trolls or worse.

16. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    So, Rian was getting actual death threats because of a movie he made, but it is him who lacked civility? Is this really even a discussion?

This, and totally this. This is the creative and budgetary golden era of TV shows, and I feel sorry for those who are missing it watching MASH reruns. Movies get more money allotted as far as minute to minute of running time, but TV has other advantages- it is much easier to develop a narrative over an extended period of time in a show than it is a 2 hour movie. GOT, Breaking Bad, The Wire, Banshee, Homeland, Stranger Things, Westworld; there are countless good ones and a fair amount of great ones. The quantity AND quality is off the charts, especially if you stream.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  17. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Let's move on from the off topic discussion of Rian Johnson. He has his own thread for abuse, praise, false accusations, or whatever else we can conjure up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.