main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Game Of Thrones (uh i guess it's done now? Edit: No!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Apr 17, 2011.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    You misspelled Tyrion there. :p

Also, for anyone who thinks Brienne is getting out alive next week, you haven't been watching the show... :p Like Dany is gonna let Sansa get off easily? And who stands in front of Sansa?

Luke02 likes this.
  2. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I'm sure the final episode will be visually stunning

[​IMG]

3. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    But why?
    Honest question.
    There is one episode left. So you are not going to get much mileage out of Mad Dany.
    Most likely, Jon kills her the next episode.

So she goes mad, becomes evil and is then killed.

I saw a comment by Jeremy Jahns that I rather like.
    "Foreshadowing is not Character Development."

Want to turn Dany mad? Build it, develop it and then do something interesting with it.
    Doing just for shock and subversion is not a good enough reason to me.
    And I was not really shocked as the last episode made it look like they would do this.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

4. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Idk to me this is like the first season of Korra here years back when Wocky, Ramza, and several others were supporting Amon and then the final episode of the season happened. And then Wocky supported Unalaq and then it turns out the guy was working for Cosmic Evil. And then in Season 4 he supported Kuvira and then Kuvira used a mecha to kill a lot of innocents.

Dany supporters are Wocky basically

Ghost likes this.
  5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I think The Shining is an interesting comparison, especially for those fans that bought into Dany's psychotic break/psychotic episode leading into her overall psychosis. And so, I feel penultimate episode featuring Dany's action is like this typewriter gif.

[​IMG]

Certainly, Dany's psychosis points to an elevation of blood. It definitely would be very much more platable if Dany's turn to madness was as beautiful handle as Jack's turn in The Shining.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    -LordSkywalker-, Luke02 and Rylo Ken like this.
  6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    That's odd. Usually the Fire and Blood get off at the second floor.

7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Jon, darling, light of my life! I'm not gonna hurt ya.... I'm just gonna bash your brains in. I'm gonna bash 'em right the **** in!

Jedi Merkurian and Luke02 like this.
  8. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i haven't really seen any "dany supporters" in this thread, just people who thought this "twist" wasn't handled very well. most have explicitly said they liked the idea.

9. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    To be fair, I don't think Jay likes the idea. But I won't speak for him. I just know some people were resistant in the ASOIAF thread to the very notion that this is where the story is heading.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I think it's dumb to "support" fictional characters seeking to rule over mostly impoverished peasants.

Besides, Stannis was their best chance.

11. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    It's the concept of having a beloved character becoming mad the interesting thing, not the mad character itself. I don't care about what the new Dany will do, if I just wanted to see violent scenes I would be a Ramsay fan. What matters is the idea.
    Also, people keep repeating that it needed to be "built". I surely do not intend to defend DD's writing, but what did you all expect ?
    1) it was established that she can be violent and vindictive.
    2) it was established that she had just witnessed very shocking and tragic events.

what else do you need?
    Is it really necessary that Tyrion repeats that the madness is about to happen, like he was doing with the bells ?

12. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    [​IMG]

13. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    You know, we never actually saw him die....

14. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    ..nah, they ruined his character on the show.

yankee8255 likes this.
  15. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I think we all mean Book Stannis when we praise him. With Stephen Dillane's voice

yankee8255, Darth Guy and blackmyron like this.
  16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I posted this a few pages back:
    I'm bummed about Dany's turn in the same way that fans of Stannis were bummed. I was emotionally invested in Dany's character and rooted for her to take back the Iron Throne, as much as Tyrion and John. She did accomplish that, and burned it down. So now, I'm feeling like Tyrion and John; which would be disappointed and hurt.

I had many fiery story disappointments with female characters having psychosis and end up trying to kill everyone. This is just another example.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up...

[​IMG]

vncredleader likes this.
  17. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Okay, I can get behind that.

18. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    As I step back, I see the pickle D&D were kinda in. Dany was never attended to be a fan favorite yet she came one however Martin told them how generally the books ends with we have to assume Dany following family tradition goes bonker on the Iron Throne (it simply is too big of a plot point to been something they cook up on their own at the end). So Dany had to go mad even if she has a fan favorite since that is how it supposed to end however I do agree with others the whole thing felt rushed. Would the four extra episodes that HBO offered help? Perhaps, I don't think it would hurt to see Dany teetering more on the edge of insanity over a longer period and then gone over.

Ultiamtely GoT is heavily based on Ragnarok as Wisecrack and others have pointed out
    so in the end the old world has to be literally destroyed so torching it all basically last episode fits into that but I rather seen it to a true battle then a massacre where factions are fighting factions where the aftermath is perhaps even worse then this.

19. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Here's a thought - maybe the ending is that no one gets the throne - not a Targaryen, not another family, not "the people"; with the destruction of King's Landing, Westeros fragments back into its component kingdoms. Maybe Jon or Sansa gets the north; maybe Tyrion gets the West. But ultimately, the kingdom forged by the Targaryen ends.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  20. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    A Dexter/GoT crossover in the final episode? Even in this poorly written excuse of a show, that’s risky, fam.

Luke02 likes this.
  21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    If anyone really cares, these are the Great Houses, and the rulers...

House Stark: Sansa
    House Lannister: Tyrion
    House Baratheon: Gendry
    House Aeryn: Little Sparrow (or Sansa)
    House Tully: Edmure (or Sansa)
    House Tyrell: N/A
    House Martell: New ruler / MIA
    House Greyjoy: Yara
    House Targaryen: Technically Jon (but Dany)

Sansa controls basically the entire North and Midlands, other than Pike and the Iron Islands. We can reasonably infer that Yara still supports Dany, but may be swayed by tales of her brother's heroism and sit out.

Martell is Dany's only firm bannerpeople, other than the Dothraki and Unsullied. Tyrion is likely disinclined to support her now that he's head of Lannister, and she went full Mad Queen. Gendry is a bit odd -- as he has no claim to anything without acknowledging Dany is Queen, he can't get titled otherwise -- but he wouldn't support the sacking, and presumably she's now planning to rule from Storm's End... which is his. Interesting...

Rylo Ken likes this.
  22. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Seven hells, did my quote of myron’s post magically edit itself, too? :(

23. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I'm sure we'll get a careful accounting of all that in the final 80 minutes of the series.

soitscometothis, dp4m and 3sm1r like this.
  24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I mentioned this, but it may have only been to my mom and not in here :p

25. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    But to me subversion for the sake of subversion is not something that I much care for.

If you take a beloved character and makes them evil just for it's own sake and not for any story or character reason, then I don't find that very interesting or well-written.
    If Jon Snow were to suddenly become like Ramsay and start raping and torturing people left and right, would that be interesting?

Tywin Lannister did many cruel and vindictive things, no one calls him Mad.
    Sansa and Arya has witnessed many horrible things or had horrible things happen to them. And done cruel and vindictive things as well. No one calls them Mad.

And if Dany goes mad because her Targ blood, that she has a little switch in her brain marked "Crazy".
    And if some bad things happens to her, the switch gets flipped and she turns totally mad.
    Doesn't that remove some of the blame from her? That it is not her fault that she has this in her brain, she was born with it and could not stop herself once it gets flipped?

I saw a film some years ago, I forget the title but it takes place in medieval times and you follow a group of soldiers and a village priest. The soldiers are quite nasty and bad but the priest is consistently the one person that tries to be kind and do good in the face of cruelty or evil.
    Until the last five minutes where the priest turns evil and then does all manner of horrible things.
    The film wasn't good before that but then ending made the film garbage to me.

What I would have liked is less rushed story telling, take your time, make it believable.
    Bending characterization just so to have a character do something they otherwise would not do, that to me is poor writing.

Anakin Skywalker's turn was built and developed over the films, even if I think some parts of it was a bit rushed in RotS.

Bye for now.
    The Guarding Dark

LloydChristmas and Hernalt like this.