main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena [Game] The Basketball Draft

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Jan 16, 2013.

1. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Same. Same same same.

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Game Two ... of the Arena Basketball Draft Finals

[​IMG]

From Madison Square Garden, in New York City

Bruce willis vs. Midland City Gutless Wonders

Close the gap?

Check.

Win the game?

Not quite.

Slow down Wilt Chamberlain?

Not even close.

Chamberlain went for 30 points and 29 rebounds as he took player of the game honors once again, and put the Gutless Wonders a single victory away from the Championship.

Chamberlain scored 7 of his 30 in the first quarter, a dominating quarter Midland City rode to victory. After a very even first five minutes of the game, Chamberlain drew an early second foul on Dirk Nowitzki. From that point, Midland City went on a 6-0 run. After some more back-and-forth basketball, Amare Stoudemire also picked up his second foul. That keyed a 10-4 run for the Gutless wonders. A 10-2 run to close out the first quarter had Bruce willis staring down a 16-point deficit after just one quarter, with two of their bigs already in foul trouble.

Bruce willis put up a hell of a fight the rest of the game, but the gap was too much to overcome. They do get some momentum for game three, finishing the game with great defense - Midland City didn't score a field goal for the final 2:31 of the game, shooting 0-for-5 in that stretch.

David Robinson did his best to keep pace with Wilt, scoring 23 points and grabbing 12 rebounds. Tracy McGrady scored 19 points and grabbed 9 rebounds, and LeBron James played facilitator - scoring only 9 points, but grabbing 14 rebounds and handing out 8 assists.

Chris Paul (15 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists) and Dwyane Wade (14 points, 8 assists) provided worthwhile "Robins" to Chamberlain's "Batman"

Bruce willis will have to turn the tables and get a win ... or this series, and the tournament, will be over.

Final Score: Midland City Gutless Wonders 102, Bruce willis 91

Full Play-by-Play

Box Score:

[​IMG]

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
  4. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    **** it. desperation time.

pg: steve nash (48 minutes), russell westbrook (0 minutes)
    sg: tracy mcgrady (48 minutes), george gervin (0 minutes)
    sf: lebron james (48 minutes), carmelo anthony 0 minutes)
    pf: dirk nowitski (48 minutes), shawn kemp (0 minutes) , amare stoudemire (0 minutes)
    c: david robinson (48 minutes), artis gilmore (0 minutes), (yao ming 0 minutes)

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  5. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
  6. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    It seems like Wilt Chamberlain is the #1 pick of this game.

7. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Game Three... of the Arena Basketball Draft Finals

[​IMG]

From Madison Square Garden, in New York City

Midland City Gutless Wonders vs. Bruce willis

Throughout the tournament, nobody could stop Wilt Chamberlain.

With a tie score, and a chance to win the championship, Midland City was guessing that, once again, Bruce willis couldn't stop Wilt Chamberlain.

They were right.

Wilt put in the game-winning bucket with a single tick left on the clock, and when LeBron James' buzzer beater missed, the game was over, and the championship was sealed.

Chamberlain was dominant again, posting 32 points, 26 rebounds, and 3 blocks on his way to another player of the game honor - and the MVP of the tournament, too.

At the start, however, it didn't look like things would go that way. Bruce willis jumped out to a 7-0 lead and had 11 points before Wilt had his first bucket.

But, despite their early dominance, Bruce willis couldn't quite pull away, never building a first-quarter lead larger than 7. They finally pushed the lead to 8 early in the second quarter, but Midland City ripped off an 8-0 run to tie it back up. Minutes Later, Midland City had their first lead of the game.

Trailing by as many as 13 early in the third quarter, it looked like Bruce willis would tire, fold, and go meekly into the night. That would not be the case, however, as a couple of Tracy McGrady free throws put them back in front by a point heading into the fourth quarter. That lead extended to five, until a Wilt Chamberlain "old fashioned" three point play swung momentum back to the Gutless Wonders.

Over the final eight minutes of the game, neither team lead by more than a single possession. But, in the end it was Chamberlain's bucket and James' miss that was the difference.

Final Score: Midland City Gutless Wonders 102, Bruce willis 100

Full Play-by-Play

Box Score:

[​IMG]

8. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    gg luigi. looks like finally found the right strategy at the end. if gervin wasn't in there for some reason missing three shots i would have won! lol.

9. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    George "Icecold" Gervin :p

10. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    I think people neglected the fact that this is a simulator and it only cares about one thing.

Good game to you, tom. Another game where we were kind of outplayed but still got the win somehow(Wilt).

11. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Congrats EF! Hope we start the second draft (relatively) soon.

12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm good with a relative quick turnaround. First, we should discuss any changes. # of games, # of GMs, etc. Oh, and we need MarcusP2 or Darth McClain to give EF some colors for winning ...

13. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
  14. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    We should maybe think about cutting out Wilt, or at least limiting the availability of his seasons. I'm not going to say he's op, exactly, but I ran several sims(and I mean several hundred) with my team against every team here, and we dominated(just over 70%). Without him? With other centers that were drafted in his place? The numbers were way closer to 50%. Tom's team--the second place team that didn't lose to another team in the entire tournament--didn't even win 40 games out of 100 against Wilt.

Now, maybe I just had an amazing team(it was pretty good), but 70% against the field amazing? I don't think so.

15. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    Congrats Efman.
    What about a different sport?

16. Roberto Calrissian

Roberto Calrissian Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    Kind of topic here but still on basketball. Anybody ever done the march madness tournament bracket on 64 star wars characters?

17. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    You might want to take that to the swc, but I believe they've probably done a favorite star wars character tournament--it's not exactly a march madness bracket, but it's the same general idea--but maybe they'd do a new one given the new boards.

18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    EF, I do think it makes some sense to look at limiting the years available for Wilt. No one wants an unbeatable team.

As to format, what do you guys think of a single conference approach? Ten teams, everyone plays everyone else four times. Two home, two road. Best five teams, by record, advance to the playoffs. #4 and #5 play a single-game playoff game at #4. After that, we move to best of seven series, in the 2-3-2 format.

To make things easy on me (or someone else if they take over), we do all four games at once. Lineup changes would be allowed between four-game series. Changes would also be allowed after each game during the playoffs.

I'd also like to add in the wrinkle of each team picking their "home court", rather than me assigning a neutral court to each game, since WhatIf does have a ton of options available for home courts.

19. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I like that idea, and would definitely be down to participate if we ever got around to doing that.

20. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Anyone got additional input? Do we for sure want to do another NBA game next?

21. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Like I said before, I'm up for NBA, NFL, MLB . . . whatever works.

22. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Another NBA draft would be fun, but an MLB draft would be fantastic.

23. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    NFL would rock.

24. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    NFL would be fun, but I think it'd take forever. Just the drafting I mean. 22 rounds? Or would we just draft a team defense or something?

I think baseball would be awesome.

25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    NFL is team defense. I am good with whatever you guys want. It might make sense to wait on NBA again until this current season is done. With MLB just kicking off, how much interest would we have?