main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GAVs Junkie Base- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Armored Cavalry thread)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by LelalMekha, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Long Snoot

Long Snoot Jedi Master star 2

Mar 1, 2018
    I recently came across an interesting piece of info about the German Tiger II tank: despite it was officially stated that it could reach 41.5km/h it actually perfomed much worse than that, reaching 30km/h in perfect conditions an only 6-7 km/h outside roads.
    I like to think that this also applies to AT-AT walkers, that actually walk at around 9km/h on Hoth (in contrast to the official 60km/h). It has often been justified by Hoth's snowy surface, but they are depicted walking at the same speed in most other sources (I think EaW was an exception, but it was definitively less than the official top speed). I don't think they would get past 30-40km/h in perfect conditions.
    I suspect this can also apply to the AT-DP's 90km/h measure.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  2. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    @LelalMekha - I really like this thread. :D

Not sure what specific type you're talking about here, but I like the idea. Sort of like a GAV ugly. :p

Oh, those are awesome. Thanks! :D

Now that's a nifty thought. Really makes a lot of sense. :D

- The Imperial Ewok

LelalMekha likes this.
  3. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Why, thank you! ;)

Hey, @Tzizvvt78, about your "Rebel ice cutter," it seems it may have a name after all. I can't confirm first hand, because I don't have the book myself, but it appears that Star Wars Blueprints: Rebel Edition calls it the Corellian Engineering Corporation's LC-10bW.

Tzizvvt78 and DarthJaceus like this.
  4. Long Snoot

Mar 1, 2018
    Was it ever stated if the Rebels AT-AT is an earlier variant or just a different model? If I recall the TESB model was seen in the very early attack on Mon Cala, and schematics also appear in Rebels S1.

5. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    If I remember correctly, its mentioned in the Rebels Recon for that episode, that its supposed to be an earlier model of AT-AT.

Which doesn't go very well with TESB model appearing in the Mon Cala arc of the Vader comic.

Ah Lucasfilm Story Group hard at work...

chris1982 and Long Snoot like this.
  6. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Aww that's disappointing. I don't know why one would blame the story group though, They have a lot on their plate, this falls onto the artist. Possibly even Soule did not have it specified in his script at all and then no one noticed the error. It is not important really, just headcanon that those are the prior model and chalk it up to artistic license. The story group's job is not to micromanage every artistic decision

Long Snoot and JediBatman like this.
  7. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Was the schematic the one from the old Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels? They used the old EGtVV schematic for a readout of the Sentinel-class shuttle, even though they went back to the (rather different) original design from RotJ:SE for the appearance of the ship in the show (the first time anyone's ever done this - looks to have been based off a very close inspection of the VFX material from the SE)...

All of this is why REBELS is probably the best fleet junk in recent canon. :D

- The Imperial Ewok

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  8. Long Snoot

Mar 1, 2018
    Well damn, I guess I'll just headcanon these AT-ATs as being the Rebels model for continuity. The one thing I like about them being the earlier models is that, being inspired by McQuarrie art, they keep some of the A6 Juggernaut's features, which makes sense for a close successor.
    Yes I believe it was. While I personally prefer the Legends variant, I really like that they have gone back to the little-known SE design. They may have gone a bit creative with the windows (they they don't seem to be visible from the sides in the movie) but I don't think I've ever seen any reference picture of the movie model to confirm that.

9. NCISliar

NCISliar Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2013
    Wouldn't the first time be the Millennium Falcon Owner's Workshop Manual from 2011?

10. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Took me a lot of pause and skip to see just how accurately they reproduced the ANH:SE design, with details like the bow hatch (implying a two-deck centre section).

The aft section / lower wings seem to be identical to those of the Lambda, the narrow "keel" on top of the centre section is a lengthened version of the upper part of the Lambda fuselage (the roof of the internal compartment), and the cockpit is similar, so I'd imagine that the side-windows are part of the design, although the shape of the viewport is not identical.

Not an image I know - interesting, if so. :D

- The Imperial Ewok

Long Snoot likes this.
  11. NCISliar

Nov 5, 2013
    Here you go:

[​IMG]

That was propably also the first time since X-Wing Alliance that the Sentinel received a plausible length (the book doesn't provide any, but obviously it's somewhere around the XWA length).

And sorry for using the GAV thread.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  12. Long Snoot

Mar 1, 2018
    One thing I've been wondering for a while is how walker crews deal with having weaponry fixed to the cockpit instead than on turrets. Presumably, the gunner would have to "aim" an AT-AT's head in order to get a shot (which we saw them doing while the walker's in motion), but doing so would also move the driver's vision and considerably distract them.

13. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    I expect that the control panel would have a display showing the degrees of head rotation, much like the torso twist in the Mechwarrior video games has a V that rotates around the center point of a circle. If you have that info it isn't difficult to adjust. They could also just have a forward facing camera on the body of the walker.

Long Snoot likes this.
  14. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I think for a while I was speculating that General Veers was actually situated up in the hump of the AT-AT, so the head could swivel and aim without disorienting the gunners. I'm pretty sure though one of you could quickly pull up some visual guide to contradict this.

15. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
  16. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    I don't suppose there's any pictures of the civilian T-47 airspeeder before the rebels modified them? On the Legends section of the Wookieepedia page, it says the laser cannons were added by the rebels, so I guess the originals didn't have them. But then those laser cannons look like they're really well embedded into the structure of the craft.

DarthJaceus, vncredleader and Snafu55 like this.
  17. A8T

A8T Jedi Master star 2

Jun 9, 2014
    Tzizvvt78, Long Snoot, Gamiel and 2 others like this.
  18. Long Snoot

Mar 1, 2018
    This is definitively one of my favourite little details in Solo, so little that I never noticed until now:
    [​IMG]
    Apparently that's an OI-CT (we don't yet know what that stands for), and I'm quite surprised it wasn't featured on the Visual Guide. It also makes a brief appearence in one of the Vader comics.

Snafu55, JediBatman and vncredleader like this.
  19. NCISliar

Nov 5, 2013
    I've always thought that the portrayal in video games such as Battlefront (the 2004 and best one) was the most realistic approach.

Here the driver is controlling the larger chin mounted cannons while the gunner has control over the secondary side mounted guns. There is this moment in TESB shortly before Veers's AT-AT fires upon the shield generator where it's shooting down a passing snowspeeder. And the whole walker seems to adjust to shoot down the speeder while it's firing both main and secondary guns albeit in slightly different directions. And I doubt that the gunner can do both. However he propably could take control of all the cannons.

It's kinda similar in Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike, here you capture an AT-AT walker at one point and while you're controlling it (or more like the head as the walker automatically walks to the elevator, almost like the newer Battlefronts...) you can only fire the main cannons. In Battlefront II (from 2005) the driver controls both weapons.

Btw speaking of Mechwarrior I've always wondered why there were never any simulators besides the space-based ones of the X-Wing series. Some kind of imperial walker simulator would have been great.

Well we have this: T-47I airspeeder

I think we can extrapolate from there, they are similar enough.

Alpha-Red and vncredleader like this.
  20. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Hmm, it's still got that little round thing at the back that looks like part of the laser cannon on the Rebel-modified T-47s.

21. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    What's with the T-47's pathetic maximum altitude?

22. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    The galaxy is large enough that it is unlikely everything is going to be upgraded at the same time. Seeing older and newer models of the same unit is quite plausible. Logistics.

23. Long Snoot

Mar 1, 2018
    Yeah, but at the same time it's quite unlikely that the upgraded model would be introduced 1-2 years after the previous one and left unchanged for 30 years. Rebels presents AT-ATs (the "earlier model") as completely innovative vehicles for the clone troopers.

MrDarth0 likes this.
  24. NCISliar

Nov 5, 2013
    Yes, even in the EGVV schematics where they are labeled as Main Thrust Nozzles, they line up perfectly with the barrels.

Maybe they've played too much SotE and Rogue Squadron.

25. Darth Zack

Darth Zack Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Perhaps Incom intended to allow the T-47 to be easily modified to be armed, which could be a selling point to Planetary Security Forces and the like. Hence why the cannons look like such a normal part of the craft.

I'd guess that OI-CT stands for something like Open Interior-Construction Transport. Though if something is open it arguably isn't an interior.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    Tzizvvt78 and Alpha-Red like this.