main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Din Grogu [Baby Yoda] (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Nov 12, 2019.

1. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    I think it's a good idea to take a break from Grogu for a while. Fan yearning to see him again will only grow, so they should really let that build and wait for an ideal moment for his return.

And you know, it's possible that when we meet him again, it's a time when he and Luke swoop in to save the day -- and afterward, Grogu leaves again with Luke to carry on.

Questions about Grogu's training need to be answered for us to understand when he might return according to story logic:

1. Can he even be trained? He already has anger and fear in him, and attachment to Mando.
    2. If he can be trained, how long is necessary? Traditionally it takes years, even a couple decades, but this is with creatures of human lifespan usually. Grogu's lifespan is different and so training him may take less time, or even longer. He seems so advanced already, and has prior training, so maybe not much additional training is needed.
    3. Character growth. Mando has grown a lot from his interaction with Grogu, but he also needs sufficient time to become his own person and define his version of what it means to be a Mandalorian. Not having to be a father for a time is necessary for him to focus on his Mandalorian identity.

And I really hope they invest the money into a Luke and Grogu project. It could be animated or heavily CG, pushing the boundaries of what's possible in terms of a "live-action" younger Luke.

Such a show would obviously satisfy fan's desire to see what's up with Grogu. We could even see him interact with a number of other students.

Zoe Con likes this.
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Species with long lifespans often have longer learning curves. So Grogu may require more years of training, not less. Not least as his trauma seems to have set him back considerably.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    Sarge and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  3. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Logic was making me think this might be the case, but do we have concrete examples of this? It might seem counterintuitive, but Grogru might know more about being a Jedi than Luke. If he's studied the force for ten years or so, that's possibly more training than Luke has. And I can't really understand why living longer and studying longer wouldn't result in more knowledge rather than less.

On the other hand, while Grogu might have plenty of knowledge of the Force, his "young" age might make him too emotionally or physically undeveloped to exercise it well. I'm not sure the physical part matters for Force users, but the emotional aspect seems important. As you mentioned, Grogu is dealing with trauma, so the emotional part might be the biggest issue for a creature that ages more slowly.

4. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    100% agree! Imagine his entrance after a period of time. How they could use that an an epic reveal!

Zoe Con and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  5. Zoe Con

Zoe Con Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 5, 2020
    I agree with most of what you have said here. The audience and characters need some time apart from Grogu so that: a) the audience can build the feeling of "missing" Grogu so that when he does reappear, it will have emotional impact. b) characters like him and Din have the opportunity to grow, but giving their bond, relationship, whatever you want to call it, emotional impact as well and evidence of how they've grown.

I don't necessarily agree that Grogu needs to go off with Luke again, which for a while may be good for Grogu's growth. But frankly, I watched Mando because it separated itself from the Big 3 as much as possible even though they are my favourite characters in Star Wars. It would be nice at some point where Grogu does comes back to Mando in later years even briefly to validate Mando's decision to let him go to Luke as the right choice, but to ease his fear that they would lose their bond.

Also, a lot of people have speculated Grogu will turn up towards the end of season 3 to save the day. Part of me likes that, but I find it too predictable. Of course, something has to go wrong where Grogu may sense danger in Mando's path and help.

It needs to be something coming out of left field with the element of surprise as well as emotional impact.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  6. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m still calling it. Grogu is the Mandalorian the show is really referring to. The next Manda’lor.

7. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I wonder how that will work as he's still a child and might not reach adulthood until by time of the ST or after.

padawon goulden likes this.
  8. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Said it before, say it again: I hope for a costume change for when he does reappear. Maybe a little padawan-like get up.

9. Zoe Con

Zoe Con Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 5, 2020
    I think that's where it's headed.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Right. I was thinking he might reach that stage in the post-ST period, thus setting part of the stage for what that era will look like and who will populate it (including characters audiences are already deeply invested in).

Zoe Con likes this.
  11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018

Approved license, so maybe hint at Grogu's future as a jedi.

MrDarth0 and chrcharcor2 like this.
  12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I don't think it means anything, but I like it.

13. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    wait... this can't be real....

14. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Well, it's real, but it's only a poster. As I said, I really don't think it means anything. Basically, it's licensed fan art.
    At least that's my guess.

15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
  16. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    I don't think Lucas film would licence fan art... it just seems so random and out of place.

17. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Well, they do, in a way.
    If I were to guess, they asked an artist to make something related to The Mandalorian, and they made this. While it's an awesome poster, I really don't think we should read anything into it.
    But hey, I'd love to be wrong. Just not getting my hopes up.

godisawesome and Fjall like this.
  18. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    I see... thanks for the insight.

19. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018

I wonder what he means by that play in the sandbox! [face_thinking]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  20. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Sandboxes are not usually that big and not all the kids get to play there at the same time. He's basically saying that he was pleased to be tasked with a job within the GFFA, nothing more than that.

godisawesome and TCF-1138 like this.
  21. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Yes, "playing in the sandbox" in this context means getting to work within the Star Wars franchise. It doesn't have any other implications.

22. Saturn830

Saturn830 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 8, 2019
    I think he just broke one of Luke's.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Grogu as a Mandalorian would be a weird mix, but it’s the most likely with his attachment issues. I’d prefer that to him dying at Luke’s Temple.

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I also agree that Grogru will be more Mandalorian than Jedi but if they want to show him picking up the Darksaber, there would have to be a pretty big timejump which leaves Din behind. "Species age differently!"

25. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Grogu’s story hopefully extends long into the future, well beyond TROS. Provided he doesn’t die in combat he’s going to live for a long time and make an impact on the galaxy.