main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Din Grogu [Baby Yoda] (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Nov 12, 2019.

1. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    To protect the ears or not, that is the real question...

[​IMG]

Grogu I Love, Sproj and Sarge like this.
  2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012

[​IMG]

Sarge likes this.
  4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  5. unicron5

unicron5 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 19, 2002
    I still hear from some fans that Grogu (or as many still refer to him as -- "Baby Yoda") is basically the star of the Mandalorian and the show wouldn't have been popular without him. Don't think Book of Boba Fett really disproves that either. It's kind of joked about, but it seems like he's becoming the main focus of a lot of modern Star Wars media.

I think there's almost no chance Disney will even consider "killing off" Grogu ever, he'll survive the events of the ST and probably end up meeting Rey some point way down the line.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    "Main star"? No. He's an important character in The Mandalorian and probably its spinoffs. And yes, he'll probably show up in other shows in other parts of the timeline at some point.
    But we have plenty of other shows coming up that stand apart from Mando, such as Obi-Wan Kenobi, The Acolyte, and Andor. While Grogu could potentially show up in Kenobi, I highly doubt it. Grogu is just a piece of the larger SWTV puzzle.

7. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    I would agree that Grogu is the main star of Star Wars currently. I'm defining main star as the main star of the world LFL-Disney has created, and he's far and away more popular than any other new character (Mando himself though comes closest). The merch sales alone probably support this.

We have popular older characters too (Luke, Ahsoka, Kenobi), sure, but I think the OP is talking about new characters, and characters that can lead the franchise moving forward from the Mando period and beyond. Whereas other new characters have had some disagreement about them among fans, Grogu has not, and more important, he attracts non-Star Wars fans like no other new character.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
  8. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    I don't know if "main star" is the right term, but yes, I'd say he is the focal point. If there is a future being planned out, it is likely based on Grogu as the central focus, with Ahsoka, Luke and Rey all being the other major players.

IMO, Grogu could be the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars someday. He could be the most beloved character if they follow through and give us his life story in parts over the next few decades.

9. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/18X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    I like Grogu as much as the next person, but I was all in with Mando Season 1 Chapter 1 before the Baby Yoda reveal.

my kind of scum likes this.
  10. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    I think most Star Wars fans were sold on Mando by himself, but Grogu is a much bigger star because he appeals to many non-Star Wars fans.

Grogu is without a doubt, objectively speaking, the most popular character created during the Disney period of LFL.

cwustudent and Sarge like this.
  11. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I wish I could jump in the Grogu/Baby Yoda/The Child bandwagon, but I just feel like I'm in the very small minority where I can't see past the puppet. I just don't get the cuteness factor that others do with the character.

cwustudent likes this.
  12. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    That's all valid, but you must admit that the audience reaction to Grogu is a genuine "phenomenon"?

13. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm not trying to take anything away from them. For me, no character has come close to Numa.
    #NERAMEANSBROTHER
    [​IMG]

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  14. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    I'd say he's set up to be the connective tissue.

15. Obironsolo

Feb 7, 2005
    Fair enough, but we are still only in, no pun intended, the infancy stage of the whole Grogu thing. As the character grows up and starts to talk, they will undoubtedly have to shift to a CGI Grogu or at least a blend of CGI and puppetry. I would expect Grogu to start to improve in terms of his movement and articulation fairly soon.

The beauty of this character is that he can be involved in not just this phase, not just the next phase, but literally any phase that happens in the next nine hundred years post ST in the Star Wars galaxy.

cwustudent and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  16. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    The question is whether or not he'll continue to be as popular once he gets beyond the "cuteness" factor.

cwustudent, Riv_Shiel and Sarge like this.
  17. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    Yeah I have my doubts that Grogu will continue to be all that popular once they try to have him get older.

He's popular now for the exact same reason all babies are popular with people.

He will be a part of the future of the franchise but the future of the franchise isn't going to be wrapped around him.

Mostly Handless and Riv_Shiel like this.
  18. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Yeah. It’s not like an older member of his species was ever popular before.

19. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

yeah but will outshine him when the new generation overtakes the older one

20. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    Yoda was always just a character put into the story to help put depth into the main characters stories.

21. Obironsolo

Feb 7, 2005
    So was every other character other than Luke.

cwustudent likes this.
  22. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    And that likely will be the same exact role Grogu will play. Even now Grogu is there to give more depth to Din.

You really can't have your main character be a puppet anyways. Unless you want every other character to be cgi or a puppet.

23. Telstar

Telstar Jedi Padawan

Feb 13, 2022
    There’s no reason for Disney to age him at all. He lives 900 years. They can keep him a toddler for 50 more years if they want. Will the cuteness factor fade? What about other characters (like Mickey Mouse or Bambi) who have transcended the years and have remained beloved. Time will tell. People are fickle.

BigAl6ft6 and Grogu I Love like this.
  24. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    [​IMG]

25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Grogu cant be baby for mutch longer, as Master Yoda was already an adult jedi Master by 100.