main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Heir to the Empire," by Timothy Zahn [Bantam, 1991]

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Review Forum' started by dp4m, Feb 6, 2003.

?

Heir to the Empire (by Timothy Zahn [Bantam, 1991])

Poll closed Mar 22, 2012.
  1. 10 (Excellent)

74.7%
  2. 9

7.4%
  3. 8

7.4%
  4. 7

3.4%
  5. 6 (Average)

1.1%
  6. 5 (Average)

2.0%
  7. 4

0.9%
  8. 3

0.3%
  9. 2

0.3%
  10. 1 (Poor)

2.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    I am 100% convinced the the only reason why this book, and the triology for that matter, get s the high ratings it does is simply because it was the fisrt piece of EU post ROTJ.

When these books came out, many people, myself included, assumed that these were (roughly taken from or adapted from, or supposed to be) EPISODES VII, VIII & IX.

Humour is scarce in these stories, and they could very easily been condensed into one book. It feels like 60% exposition, 15% forensical background descriptions, 15% story, and 10% Classic Trilogy allusions.

Thrawn is interesting for the first half of the first book. He stares at artwork. Oooooh, shivers. He's one step ahead of the handful of heroes from the films - of which he knows many intimate details. We expect him and his boyfrined Palleon to have them for lunch. The clone Jedi Joruus C'Boath becomes tiresome as well. Mara Jade's sourpuss attitude gets old. The yslarmi (or whatever) is a dumb idea.

2. nate_the_great

nate_the_great Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 21, 2005
    This was the first SW EU book I ever read and I am still fascinated with how Tim Zahn does novels! I loved how he just brought those characters back from AGFFA! The book itself seemed like a movie in my head! Tim does a great job with characters from the movie and EU.

9/10

3. JedifromSouthDakota

JedifromSouthDakota Jedi Youngling

Feb 5, 2007
    I was wondering where and when the first time you saw Heir to the Empire back then? I saw the paperback in 91 or 92 in a grocery store located in the books and magazines section and I was like holy crap Star Wars is back and i also saw that Indiana Jones novel which i cant remember the title of the book

4. Zeek_Fett

Zeek_Fett Jedi Youngling

Feb 13, 2007
    This is a 10, hands down. Timothy Zahn is the best Star Wars writer. I've read all of this series, the Jedi Acedemy Series, and tons more, but this is the best one yet.:cool:

5. FollowTheSnowflies

FollowTheSnowflies Jedi Master star 1

Mar 28, 2007
    I give it a 7.

It was probably about five years ago that I first read TTT. By that time I was already pretty familiar with the EU, and so the trilogy was not an introduction into the wider SW universe (as it was for many fans). It held no great significance other than being a set of novels I had not yet read.

It set a lot of foundations down for a largely unexplored galaxy, and he has to be given credit for this. Certainly his books come as close as any to capturing that fabled SW 'feel'.

But I can't understand the almost fanatical love that some have for it. Yes, he introduces some of the most popular characters seen outside the films, but he continually elevates these characters at the expense of the movie heroes, and it begins to grate. As for his prose...it really bores me, to be honest. Ysalamiri always bothered me a little, too. It was too convenient.

Anyway, a good read, but I wouldn't say a great one (unlike the vast majority of fans, it seems).

6. xhraud

xhraud Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2007
    This is the book that started it all for me, only a few years ago. I began reading every book I could find about Star Wars. I think I have read about 200 average. I fell in LOVE with Thrawn ;) I like the New Jedi Order books and cannot wait until the end of May when I can get the latest release

7. Regan21286

Regan21286 Jedi Master star 1

Oct 18, 2003
    The book that launched a thousand books.

8. jedi_janson_

jedi_janson_ Jedi Youngling

Jul 12, 2007
    I thought this book was great. I really like Thrawn and Mara. I give it a 9. :)

9. wisebob134

wisebob134 Jedi Youngling

Jul 8, 2007
    I just finished it today. Awesome book. Mara Jade is great along with Thrawn. It is very well written.

10. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
  11. Spitty

Spitty Jedi Youngling

Mar 3, 2008

Can't fault it. One of the best books I've ever read and kicked me into the EU.

12. Darth_Hoser

Darth_Hoser Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 6, 2004
    First SW book I read, not including "Tales from the New Republic" which is a collection of short stories, and oh man, what a story! The whole trilogy is five star for sure!

13. bossko

bossko Jedi Youngling

Mar 23, 2008
    im gald you guys all say its so good i just started reading it.

14. jedi2187leia

jedi2187leia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2006
    I give it a 10.

The day it came out, I went down to Waldenbooks, plunked down my hard-earned scratch, and read it from beginning to end in 48 hours.

Good times, good times....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.