main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Hidden meaning in Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by HevyDevy, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Shaak Ti

Shaak Ti Jedi Master star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    Impressive. Most Impressive.

2. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Anakin: You underestimate my power!

Luke: Nevertheless, I'm taking Captain Solo and his friends. You can either profit by this... or be destroyed! It's your choice. But I warn you not to underestimate my powers.

TheGreyWalker and Shaak Ti like this.
  3. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    TheGreyWalker likes this.
  4. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    I've noticed sometihing about the beasts in the Geonosis Arena. Each beast corresponds to the evil that each character faces in the films.

Padme fights the Nexu, which is representative of her struggle to stop the Clone Wars. She gets on top of her pillar fastest, possibly showing her eagerness to got to Geonosis in the first place to rescue Obi-Wan. She eventually defeats the Nexu by kicking it, symbolising the Clone victory over the Separatists on Geonosis. However, the Reek also leaves its mark on Padme by scratching her, showing that the Separatists aren't truly defeated.

Obi-Wan fights the Acklay, which possibly represents the Separatists. He struggles, unarmed, much longer against his beast, with multiple limbs, but eventually brings it down which could represent his eventual defeat of Grievous in ROTS.

Anakin fights the Reek, which symbolises the Sith and the Darkside. And instead of defeating the beast, he joins it, and rides on top of it, a possible inversion of his eventual seduction by Palpatine. Padme also joins him on the Reek, showing that his secret relationship is tied to his battle with the dark.

5. Shaak Ti

Shaak Ti Jedi Master star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    Oh My Force, amazing stuff.

6. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    I've posted this before, but I like how Anakin/Vader has a reverse slide in each trilogy.

TPM - Almost completely good. ANH - Almost completely bad.
    AOTC - A spark; the loss of someone close (Shmi). ESB - A spark; The discovery of someone close (Luke).
    ROTS - Seeking power to save loved ones downgrades to seeking power for power's sake. ROTJ - Using loved ones for power's sake upgrades to wanting Luke alive just out of love.

Pretty intentional I would imagine.

7. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    The villains in the PT foreshadow what Anakin will become.

Darth Maul-The deadly and powerful apprentice of Darth Sidious, who is dressed in black, and is cut in half by Obi-Wan.

Count Dooku-The Jedi betrayer who wants to rule the galaxy, and is eventually betrayed by his master, who orders his new "apprentice" to finish him.

General Grievous-The heavy breathing, Jedi killer, cyborg.

8. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Yes, there are a lot of visual cues that make Anakin reminiscent of Maul after Vader has turned to the dark side. And Vader will of course find himself in a role-reversal when he "becomes" Dooku at Luke's mercy at the climax of ROTJ.

Another one - Palpatine comments in the "opera" scene that Darth Plagueis was killed by his apprentice in his sleep. Perhaps a metaphor foreshadowing The Emperor being blind to Vader's compassion for his son and turning his back on Vader to killl Luke. His lack of foresight about Anakin returning and killing him could be called being "killed in his sleep by his apprentice". At least perhaps.

9. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    I've noticed a lot of foreshadowing in TPM that pays off later in the PT.

TPM
    QUI-GON : Don't center on your anxiety, Obi-Wan. Keep your concentration here and now where it belongs.
    OBI-WAN : Master Yoda says I should be mindful of the future...
    QUI-GON : .....but not at the expense of the moment. Be mindful of the living Force, my young Padawan.

QUI-Gon (to Anakin before the Podrace): Remember, concentrate on the moment. Feel. Don't think. Trust your instincts. (he smiles) May the Force be with you.

AOTC

Obi-Wan: Patience. Use the Force. Think.
    Anakin: Sorry, Master.

Anakin(to Padme): You are asking me to be rational. That is something I know I cannot do.

There's a keen emphasis on the effects of Qui-Gon's teaching. Arguably the blend of first Qui-Gon, then Obi-Wan casued Anakin to fall, as he couldn't change what he learned from Qui-Gon.

Eternal_Jedi likes this.
  10. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    It's especially ironic if you note that the apprentice in The Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise is in fact Palpatine himself. Plagueis trusted Palpatine so much that he failed to see that Palpatine would kill him in an act of hatred. Palpatine was so sure that Vader had become heartless that he failed to see that Vader would kill him in an act of love.

11. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Also, both say this after tapping into the Dark Side and Force Choking someone.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Shaak Ti and darkspine10 like this.
  12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    After Mace Windu asks whether the master or the apprentice was destroyed, the camera pans over and blurs out everyone except for Palpatine. Palpatine's facial expression is the same as Sidious's when he talks to Maul on the balcony.

AshiusX likes this.
  13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Anakin: "I should be all-powerful! Obi-Wan's holding me back!"

Yoda: "If you choose the quick and easy path, as Vader did, you will become an agent of evil."

Shaak Ti and ATMachine like this.
  14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    In TPM, Nute Gunray is scared to death when he hears that Jedi Knights are on board. In ANH, Motti mocks the idea of The Force.

Shaak Ti and darkspine10 like this.
  15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    "You have become the very evil that you swore to destroy." This is also true of the Republic. The Republic was created to ensure that the Sith would never return to power, and yet the Republic became the means through which the Sith returned to power and imposed their tyranny upon the galaxy.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  16. ATMachine

ATMachine Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2007
    George Lucas was presumably writing from experience.

darklordoftech likes this.
  17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Luke falls down a long distance, and his friends come to rescue him. Palpatine falls into a reactor, and nobody comes to rescue him.

18. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    In TPM, Palpatine pats Anakin on the head and says, "We'll watch your career with great interest, young Skywalker." In ROTJ, Palpatine, as Vader's master, tells Vader, "Soon the Rebellion will be crushed, and young Skywalker will be one of us."

Shaak Ti, HevyDevy and ATMachine like this.
  19. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    This for some reason kind of reminds me of an aspect of Anakin's parallel fates at the end of each trilogy.

ANAKIN: I HATE you!
    OBI-WAN: You were my brother Anakin. I loved you.

/vs/

ANAKIN: Now, go my son. Leave me.
    LUKE: No, I'll not leave you here, I've got to save you.
    ANAKIN: You already have Luke. You were right about me. Tell your sister, you were right.

One Jedi (brother) dismembering Anakin and abandoning him /vs/ one Jedi (son) never abandoning him and never losing hope that he could come back.

20. ATMachine

Feb 27, 2007
    And it's worth noting that Obi-Wan is still saying that Anakin can't be redeemed even in ROTJ. But of course the point is that he's wrong, and Luke succeeds because he keeps trying.

HevyDevy likes this.
  21. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
  22. ATMachine

Feb 27, 2007
    Well, he does things, but it's not as if Luke compels Vader to rediscover his inner goodness. He tries to get Vader to do so himself, by setting a good example - but ultimately it's the fact that Luke tries at all, whereas Obi-Wan and Yoda had already written Anakin off. "Try not, do or do not" isn't a statement valid in all times and places. (One might suspect this was the seed of the subtextual idea in the PT that the Jedi Order is too hidebound for its own good.)

Shaak Ti likes this.
  23. mihaitzateo

mihaitzateo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 5, 2015
  24. ATMachine

Feb 27, 2007
    AFAIK, Plagueis' name is a reference to Milton's Paradise Lost.

25. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    It does fit, but it has basically been proven to be just a coincidence.
    It works pretty well though.

Sith names are kind of all like this. "Maul" like a weapon, or to maul someone. Tyrannus for tyranny. Vader is likely based on "invader". And Sidious because he is insidious. Plagueis perhaps references the fact the Sith are like a cancer on the force? I'm not sure.

This definitely seems the intention.

Padme is likely from Padma which is the lotus flower.

ATMachine and mihaitzateo like this.