main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Historical Figures

Discussion in 'Community' started by SateleNovelist11, Mar 27, 2023.

1. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Yeah I guess Louis CK is a historical figure, in a way.

2. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Meh, just watch it

3. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Louis CK is, but George Carlin is a better example. After all, one has to read about George Carlin and the 1970s Supreme Court. CK is more notable in my memory for seeing him in 2013's American Hustle and the MeToo scandal.

4. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    He’s back, in pod form

5. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
  6. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
  7. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Oh, yes. Makes sense. I heard he made a comeback. I just haven't tuned in to him. Of course, by this logic, Jon Stewart is also a historical figure due to his support of health responders and others.

I just can't process that George W. Bush is a historical figure. His war crimes, torture, and negligence feel like yesterday.

8. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I'm very interested in Louis CK's take on the troubled legacy of James K. Polk.

9. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015

They discuss James Knox Polk at time frame 47:10. However, they aren't accurate about Hail to the Chief being played because of Polk...who was five-foot-eight. It was composed and introduced for our shortest president, James Madison. Overall, Louis CK's tone is better than the dude with whom he's speaking.

Well, I'm glad Polk purchased Oregon and by extension Washington. But I am amongst those who hate Polk for the Mexican-American War. And folks like Mr. Beat agree.

Darth Punk and blackmyron like this.
  10. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Louis’ take on Presidents is that they are fascinating individuals who held a unique job. He points out they all have done awful things. “Obama ordered drone strikes on weddings”.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  11. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    I'm glad he said that. I only got to hear most of the Polk one until a student asked me to help edit her paper. Still at work (my college tutoring job) till 6PM PST, but I look forward to hearing more later. I overall liked how Louis was handling it.

Darth Punk likes this.
  12. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    We do know Louis loves to handle it

Ramza, Bor Mullet, solojones and 3 others like this.
  13. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
  14. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Personally, my favorite presidents are FDR and Lincoln. Does that mean I agree with everything they did? No. Certainly don't like their racisms. However, I really like what LBJ got Congress to pass in the domestic sphere, though I think he was a turd and I despise his Vietnam policy (as I do Nixon's). Now more than ever that I watched Ken Burns and Lynn Novick's Vietnam War miniseries. Even so, I wish we had a successor to the domestic and economic policies of FDR and LBJ...given all these pointless, brutal, and endless wars we've been waging.

Despite how I did not study history as as student, as I majored and minored in different subjects and I'll be studying something different in my master's (journalism), I think it's fair to say that I've been fixated on ancient and modern history since middle school. As to my opinions vis-a-vis the impacts of U.S. presidents, I concur with virtually everything Derek (a.k.a Thersites the Historian) explained in this video.

He defined (starting from No. 10 to No. 1) Nixon, Clinton, Andrew Jackson, Thomas Jefferson, Dwight Eisenhower, Harry Truman, Abraham Lincoln, Woodrow Wilson, LBJ, and FDR as the top ten most influential presidents. He assessed George W. Bush as the eleventh most influential president, as well as explaining other impactful honorable mentions like James Polk, Theodore Roosevelt, Ronald Reagan, Calvin Coolidge, and Ulysses Grant. I can't say I disagree with anything he said about Nixon, Clinton (being mostly negative about him), Jackson, Eisenhower, Truman, Lincoln, LBJ, or FDR. I would have been more negative about Wilson. Having said that, Derek/Thersites' analyses were of how these presidents were impactful in the long term. He is correct to point out that Clinton achieved what Ronald Reagan only dreamt of accomplishing, for Reagan was mostly a discourse guy. Interestingly, my view of Truman during middle school was positive, but it has become mostly negative due to his treatment of Japan and his post-presidential treatment of the Civil Rights Movement. There's little doubt that FDR, LBJ, and Wilson ought to be deemed the top three most influential. It remains to be seen how influential Trump will be in the long run.

On a more humorous note, since Derek says people would have perceived LBJ as the "face of big government during his time," I recalled that when my cis gf and I were visiting the coast last Saturday. So, I joked that the employee at this gift shop was the "face of big government" in that area, and woman and my gf found that hilarious. But there is no doubt that FDR and LBJ affected a lot of people's lives.

“He’s an F, then. **** him.”
    - Thersites the Historian,
    referring to Martin Van Buren while ranking U.S. presidents in another video

Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
  15. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

Wow I'm sure I can't get this opinion from anyone who isn't gross.

blackmyron likes this.
  16. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    This is the first time that I've heard of this happening, ever.

solojones likes this.
  17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    "May"?...

18. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    More debating for the sake of debating. Taking this way too literally man. Of course, they were. In this use of the word, it is definite, not theoretical. Get out and talk with ordinary people. Sheesh. I take exception to this because I have Cherokee ancestors, and my Dad's grandmother was Cherokee. That's one reason we have brown eyes. I know that wasn't your intent, but it's a simple past tense usage of the word that's typically utilized when things certainly transpired.

Oh, and to whoever tried to correct my usage of my invented term sapientkind in my Legendarium and tried to debate the definitions of sentient and sapient, I disagree, and I'm gonna continue utilizing that term. Time for people to get off the internet and talk with normal people. Jesus.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2023
  19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Ummm... what? That's one way to react, I guess.

DarthPhilosopher and Lord Vivec like this.
  20. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    You did take the quote out of context though. Don't tell me you don't bristle when people do that to you.

But: with the designated use of "may", Satele should have used a comma instead of a full stop. Then it would have made syntactical sense and you couldn't have pulled it out of its context. So really you should have bolded the dot, and said:

"Full stop?"....

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  21. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    It's not really unique if you listen to women like Thena. Education: "Scar and Frollo may be Disney villains, but they are in S tier on Vile Eye's Analyzing Evil tier list. Also included is Amon Goth from Schindler's List."

Excellent analysis of Goth from Vile Eye.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2023
  22. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    The more I think about it, World War II was a major side mission in the 20th century. The Western Allies of World War I invaded Russia as the Soviet Union was establishing itself, and everyone looked at Stalin as running a pirate regime. They thought he was major threat on the global scene, and everyone was working to appease Hitler until Hitler began his war of conquest. Evidently, Hitler and Himmler killed over eleven million people in the Holocaust and wrecked Europe. But all of this set the stage for the Cold War between the United States and the Soviet Union. But there's an argument to be made that, had Hitler never risen to power, the West and the Soviet Union would have begun the Cold War sooner. After all, Stalin was engaged in this insane terror internally and he was really ambling on the world stage before WWII.

Interestingly, Stalin improved as a commander in WWII, whereas Hitler started off good but got much worse. Stalin, being the paranoid weirdo he was, distrusted his generals, and ironically, the only person he trusted was Hitler...who invaded the Soviet Union and caused Stalin to have a breakdown. Gradually, though, Stalin got better as a commander-in-chief. In contrast, Hitler may have had success in conquering France and the Low Countries, but given all the drugs his quack doctor was giving him, he soon went off his rocker. At the end of his life, Hitler had taken so much cocaine, meth, and oxycodone that he not only had a shaking had problem, but he was delusional. Don't get me wrong. Stalin was a very ruthless man, but he learned how to pull himself together and be the person who was supposed to be in wartime. Hitler just got worse and made more mistakes. Amusingly, Hitler's generals thought he was weird for being a vegetarian, and they didn't respect him for being an Austrian corporeal during World War I.

23. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I dunno about that. The Red Army horribly underperformed when it tried to invade Finland, and barely held on by the skin of its teeth when Germany invaded. If Germany had not gone Nazi, then there would have been an anti-Soviet coalition consisting of Britain, France and Germany, and there's no way the Soviets could have launched an offensive war against them and won. The USSR would have been contained, they wouldn't have posted much of a threat, and not much reason to have a Cold War.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2023
  24. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    You've apparently never played Red Alert.

25. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    lol, I have played it and it's one of my favorite games. But when I think about its premise, I don't think that's what would've actually happened. I'm 90% sure the world would've been a better place without Hitler.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2023