main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "Hit it." - Star Trek: Strange New Worlds [Paramount+]

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 10, 2022.

1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Ha. Touché! But no, I don't want that version of Star Trek either. Just a version that doesn't follow JJ's forgettable and overwrought aesthetic. The Picard show looked good, though, if I remember correctly. Maybe this will be similar.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
    K2771991 likes this.
  2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    The problem with making a prequel is ensuring it doesn't look out of place with the older sequel material

There are ways to look vintage without looking outdated

Jedi Ben likes this.
  3. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    @Bor Mullet @SithLordDarthRichie eh, I get where you guys are coming from, I really do.

But after all these years of seeing some varient "this prequal looks to advanced compared to what it's a prequal of" complaints (The Prequel trilogy, Enterprise, Discovery, ect) and finding myself arguing with people over them I'm just kinda burned out with it. I'm sorry, but I just am; I'm thirty-one at this point and I've been seeing these arguments since I was eight, lol.

My only issue with the "JJ aesthetic" was everything was too bright and color pallet basically consisted of just white and "white, but it's less white," and Disco and Picard did away with that so I'm fine (the new shows basically have a "Mass Effect aesthetic" at this point, and I'm fine with that becuase I'm a *huge* fan of Mass Effect) - not to mention I care far more about story then I do visuals.

Jedi Merkurian and TX-20 like this.
  4. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Continuity matters, otherwise it's terribly distracting and frustrating when you watch something in chronological order.

If the current producers of Trek wanted a clean slate to basically do whatever they wanted, why not just set the show in the far future or in the JJ timeline?

Everyone wins then & you don't annoy the fans

Jedi Ben likes this.
  5. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Like I said, I get the arguments. It's just that I've literally seen it all before; people made the same arguments agianst Enterprise, the Prequel Trilogy and post-revival Doctor Who as they do agianst Discovery, and now many people unironically praise those shows and don't even remember those complaints, so no offense but I can't help but not see "a lack of visual continuity" as being something dire.

Like, I could go into how Discovery is set 10 years before the original show and is made with 2010s+ SFX, set building and film techniques as opposed to TOS which was literally made in the 60s on a budget, and I could bring up how drastically the IRL Essex-class Carriers changed within the span of just sixteen years, or how the chrome-plated, fintailed cars of the 1950s look more advanced then modern cars despite being far more primitive; like, I can debate this point, I've done it before. But the coversation is one I've seen and experienced in one form or anouther since I was a literal child. I'm just tired of it.

I'm not trying to be rude, but I just want to watch tv and enjoy it, damnit! Lol.

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Swearing. Remember, Trek can say **** now.

K2771991 likes this.
  7. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    The Orville is able to look vintage and still use modern FX well.
    It's not hard if you try

It's also made by someone who clearly understands what Star Trek is about better than the people currently making actual Star Trek.

Having to come up with some nonsense answers to try & explain why a ship just before the Kirk era has what amounts to a teleport drive & internal holographic communicators when no-one else does makes no sense when you could just set the show at a time when those things would be acceptable.

8. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    "Make it so, ******* it!" :p

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Ben like this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    "Space. The final ****ing frontier."

10. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    "...to boldly go where no ****** has gone before!"

BigAl6ft6 and K2771991 like this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Anyone else here read Willful Child by Erikson?

12. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Lol. If the Orville was a Star Trek show set during the timespan of the TOS era people would be making the same complaints. "WHY DOES THIS LOOK LIKE THE TNG ERA!"

Star Trek means a lot of different things to a lot of different people; what it means to you might not be the same as what it means to me, and what it means to us might not be the same as what it means to other people.

Having and seeing logical counterpoints delivered in good faith be dismissed as "nonesense answers" is, I'm going to be honest, a big part of why I say that I'm so tired of having/seeing/experiencing this particuler conversation.

And the holograms/holographic communications existed in the TOS era - there's holo game boards in ST III, a holocommunicator in TUC, a stright-up holodeck in TAS and even ENT has the Earth ships of the 22nd Century equipped with holographic target drones. That's not an inconsistency (heck, even TODAY we can make holograms, and IRL 21st century Earth is, by most indications, less advanced then ST was during that time period)

"Well...a double dumb*** on you!"

Jedi Merkurian and TX-20 like this.
  13. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    TNG still had viewscreens for communication, if holograms were possible decades in the past why wouldn't the Federation flagship in the future be using it?
    Picard talking to a holographic manifestation of a Admiral instead of video calling on his little desktop device.

They can come up with whatever story they want as to why they randomly decided to kill that tech (which wouldn't be convincing), but the easiest solution is simply not to have it at all.

Picard is now set in a different reality, so that gives writers freedom to do what they like without having to adhere to established lore.
    Easy solution, not sure it wasn't used from the start with these shows

14. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    ^:)^

K2771991 likes this.
  15. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    Dude, you and me both. I still don’t have a good feel for the layout of the JJ Enterprise bridge or the Discovery bridge because the damn camera never stops spinning and swooping.

16. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Oh, I don't care about things looking more "advanced." I just want that camera to stop moving at a million miles per hour, and for some authority somewhere to ban the overuse of the "JJ filter" that makes everything look...plasticene.

17. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    You'd have to ask the writers of Undiscovered Country why people use still viewscreens when they have holocommunicators, since that's the first peice of Star Trek to show they exist alongside each other (and *literally* alongside, since the Federation president is shown talking to Azebur while she's on a viewscreen from his perspective and he's projected as a hologram to her, so who knows how many times in the past where we've only seen one side of a conversation via viewscreen where the other might be looking at a hologram?). But I'd imagine the reason is much the same as why people 21st Century people in both Star Trek and IRL predominantly contiue to use phones the regular way even though they have facetime communication technology.

And, I mean, it's not like Star Trek is the only series that has holocommunicators *alongside* viewscreens (*cough* Star Wars *cough* *cough* Babylon 5 *cough*)

Like, you know by the standards of what Star Trek tech is shown to be capable of using a hologram to communicate with someone would'nt even be that complicated; if they can make entire rooms filled with solid holographic objects and use photons to make warheads for tactical anti-ship weapons then it should be fairly simple to just project a real-time recording of yourself somewhere else; if anything what does'nt make sense is why this technology was'nt featured more prominantly before now, not that it is.

Discovery gave a pretty strong indication three seasons ago that issues with the security of holocommunicators led to them not seeing widespread use for a time. So...

Picard is Prime Timeline. And I'm not sure why having holocommunicators in the 2400s would conflict with established lore (it definantly does'nt conflict to have them in the 2200s, for reasons I already explained in my prior post).

That's fair. I don't have much of an issue with it anymore.

Maybe it's the darker lighting or maybe I'm just used to it at this point? Who knows?

Jedi Merkurian , TX-20 and Bor Mullet like this.
  18. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Way worse things to worry about than the shaky camera

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, they did use it, after a fashion- the TNG viewscreens have a 3D (presumably hologram) perspective effect to them that a flat video wall wouldn't, for instance. And DS9 introduced full-bodied hologram communications for a few episodes but just stopped using it (without explanation, if I recall) because the production couldn't afford to do FX that would sell the effect enough to distinguish it from a transporter to general audiences.

So long as you don’t take TOS as being completely literal (which was difficult to begin with 25 years ago let alone today), it’s not really all that incongruitous. Especially with the single retcon for the Enterprise which covers almost all TOS issues on the subject.

Jedi Merkurian , K2771991 and TX-20 like this.
  20. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    And remember, the DS9 holocommunicators (like the Picard ones) made it look like the person in question was pysically present; as opposed the Disco and TUC holograms which are very obviusly holographic, so the former clearly repersents a more advanced form of the technology then the latter two examples.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Honestly, I feel like the point where your making entire rooms of full, solid-state holograms (holodecks and the TAS "rec deck") would logically require you to have reached the point where you can just project holograms to talk to each other first.

Also, something I remembered to late to post last night; Picard has a holoprojector on his desk in TNG and there's anouther one on the E-Ds conference table, so clearly it should be possible for holocommunication with that ship.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Honestly the flashbacks in The Managerie are really the only thing that visually contridicts Discovery (via showing different uniforms and dipicting the Enterprise's design during that time differently), and A) you can just chalk that up to the memories being projected from Pike's head being damaged and B) they already seem to have retconned the uniforms so why not assume they retconned the ship as well and it just gets a refit at some point before TOS?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
    Juliet316 , TX-20 and Iron_lord like this.
  21. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Season 2 and Kirk confirmed for Strange New Worlds

22. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Interesting... Does this mean Pike's only around for one season or do we see a transition to Kirk towards the end of S2?

23. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Considering that TOS implied that Pike was commander of the Enterprise for over a decade, that's not likely.

24. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    You know, I've been wondering since they annouced the show if Kirk would show up at some point, but I'm pretty shocked it's happening so earlier (I assumed it would happen towards the end, not in the first season).

I wonder how they'll work it around the line from The Managerie indicating they only met once before that episode ("when he was promoted to fleet captain."). Will Kirk show up, but not meet Pike, or will Pike get his promotion during the events of the show?

I always got the inferrence that Kirk had recently assumed command as of Where No Man has Gone Before. Not sure if that's based on anything or just an assumption I came up with at some point, though.

When exactly is SNW supposed to me taking place? MA says just says "2250s" but I don't know how accurate that is (my assumption has been that it's going to pick up shortly after Discovery leaves, which gives us around a decade before 2265)

I was going to answer "it's called Star Trek: Pike so obviusly their not going to get rid of him", and then I remember it's not called that but rather my roomate and I have been calling it "the Pike show" since it was annouced and so in my head that's what it is at this point, lol

Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
  25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I quite consciously watched The Cage/Menagerie immediately after the Discovery episode which revisited it aired, as that pilot is peak ST to me. I somehow managed to survive the shocking quality differences without any of the side effect HP Lovecraft describes tend to befall mere mortals encountering an Old One. The transition worked fine.