main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth! Moons of Munnipor! - Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (no tags)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Jan 9, 2016.

1. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    That's a great piece of artwork. Interestingly, that was one of my favorite moments in the movie. I also liked Elfman's music during the whole sequence from the possession to the taming of the damned. Elfman was on fire with this score.

Btw, I feel the need to defend the Illuminati. People don't seem to understand that Mordo's reference to Reed Richards being the "smartest man alive" refers to his scientific genius. And Richards was part of a team that defeated Thanos. He may have been able to constrain Thanos temporarily with his ability. Wanda's massacre of the Illuminati shows how dangerous she is. While this is not the same Captain Carter that we saw in What If, she I think she could have stood a chance against Wanda if she had attacked from behind. It was terrifying when Wanda took out Black Bolt and Captain Marvel. That said, she used some pretty creative spells to do so.

While Charles Xavier was shown to be he most empathetic of the Illuminati, if you actually pay attention to the actors' facial expressions when Black Bolt executes their Dr. Strange, he is saddened about doing so, and Carter and Rambeau seem about as distraught as Charles is. Plus, Reed Richards clearly did not want to use force against Wanda unless he had no choice. I do like the way Olsen delivered that icy line to Richards, though. Then he was like, "Okay. Well, activate Black Bolt." I think the actor who portrayed Black Bolt did a good job with his facial expressions. I hope we see John as Reed Richards again. Obviously, he'd be a variant of this one. But I'd be interested to see how he would react that a variant of his descendent becomes Kang. Overall, I've loved Phase Four of the MCU this year, and I'm looking forward to Phases Five and Six during the next two years. I'm eager to see what roles Stephen Strange, America Chavez, and Wong will play. Plus, I'm pretty sure that we will see Wanda again. Elizabeth Olsen will be voicing Wanda in the second season of What If, so I doubt we are done with her. I have a few theories about what her future role may entail.

Anyhow, I actually bought this on DVD the day it came out. But I've only watched it once that way. I've watched quite a few scenes in the film on Disney+ due to the accessibility. I'm still really impressed with the cinematography. I really like this one brief shot of Wanda looking at Wong in the Darkhold temple. It does a good job of establishing her power and also her doubt. In the subsequent shot of Wanda speaking with Wong, both Olsen and the background are lit excellently. Or the background is rendered outstandingly. I'm not sure if this was an actual set or if she and Benedict Wong were in front of green screens. I need to watch how the movie was made. Most people seem to like Olsen's performance in this movie. But I think that Cumberbatch was amazing, as well. For an arrogant former surgeon, Strange was actually very likable and a good father-figure to America in the story.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
  2. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    The actor who played Black Bolt is Anson Mount (Currently Captain Pike in Star Trek Strange New Worlds).

He was my top pick for Moon Knight for years, but I’ll be happy if he continues to play BB too.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
    Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  3. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    And, for those who wish to forget it or just don’t know, it’s Anson’s second turn playing Black Bolt. This time, with a comic accurate look. He was the lead as Black Bolt in the one major Marvel tv bomb, The Inhumans.

Glad he got a bit of redemption here. And he is awesome as Chris Pike in Strange New Worlds.

4. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    Anson has been Black Bolt since that godawfull TV show many uears ago:
    [​IMG]

Just like Jackman's Wolverine, he's the only actor to ever play the character. In fact

what surprised everybody is that Marvel invited him bck to the role. Also, this time around BlackBolt outfit was a 100% generated by CGi.

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    That's 'cause Inhumans threw all their CG budget on Lockjaw and a single scene for Medusa. CG costumes were long off the table.

BigAl6ft6 and nilzo antonio like this.
  6. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    'Medusa's hair cgi is expensive"
    'ah just cut it off in the first episode' [face_waiting]

7. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Yes, I know about the Inhumans show, winced through it myself; but not due to Mount (whose been on my radar since Hells On Wheels).

I do hope practical suits return though.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
  8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Mount's Black Bolt showing up on Earth and walking out with a fancy new suit because he's the king was the only fun/funny bit for Black Bolt in the show. I did however quite like Iwan Rheon as Maximus the Mad. Conveniently stashed away in a bunker on the moon should he come back. But if they brought back Mount as Black Bolt Rheon as Maximus the Mad seems to be a shoe-in. He's basically acting circles around everyone with his evilness as a less R-rated Ramsay Bolton. Maximus and Lockjaw were the two things in the series I hope find new life. And Mount's Black Bolt now too gets a pass, obviously. And Rheon himself seems game

"I'll take anything really. I'd love to have another crack at -- I'd love to do Maximus again," Rheon shared with ComicBook.com when discussing how he'd like to return to the MCU. "I think he's a really interesting character. And also I feel a bit sorry for him, because he is just stuck on the Moon still, but yeah, I'd love to do any of that stuff. Anything. I'm not fussy, give me anything."

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
  9. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    Bellow a video about something that has been reported through many sources about the movie, more in case the Iluminatti:

The Iluminatti are one of the most polarizing things in the movie but here you see the thing is simple: the actors never met or acted together and probably never had any idea what they were really filming.
    Many people complain about Richards explaining Black Bolt powers to Wanda, but here's the kicker: Krasinski/Richards may never guessed to who he was talking or even if Black Bolt was really around!
    Other people complained was that Captain Marvel and Captain Carter were lethargic to respond Wanda's agressions against Richards and BB, but since thery never acted as a team/together makes sense then what happened.
    One thing nobody never talked so far is if there were others cameos/Iluminatti members ( Cruise's Supreme Iron Man?) that were left on the editing room floor!

SateleNovelist11 and Juliet316 like this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The writer confirmed that Tom Cruise Iron Man was never involved, and the Illuminati shooting separately may have had to do with COVID-19 lockdown protocols more than anything, that's why the first choice for Mister Fantastic, Daniel Craig, didn't make it into the movie. Olsen straight up said she never met John Krasinski or Stewart

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
    Juliet316 likes this.
  11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    First off, I don't trust his assertion since he's not reliable. Second, I don't think any of that matters. The Illuminati's actions or lack thereof, has nothing to do with that. What it boils down to is fans being fans, because Raimi didn't do it "the correct way".

Master_Lok, Juliet316 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    They also chose to film on-location in Hawaii, which ate up a lot of the budget as well.

To be fair, Lockjaw was fun. And both Anson as Black Bolt and Ken Leung as Karnak were awesome and deserving of a return elsewhere. So, just have Lockjaw teleport in with Karnak, let Kamala hug Lockjaw, and we're golden.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
    BigAl6ft6 and Thena like this.
  13. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    I actually would love to see Emma Stone as Spider-Gwen. But I do like Hailey Steinfeld's Gwen in the animated films.

Anyhoo, it seems like the controversial reputation of this MoM movie hasn't affected Sam Raimi. But it seems to have hit Michael Waldron a bit. He got a good reputation for how he wrote Loki, but his writing was the main critique from critics. And I'm like, "What's wrong? It's a movie about emotional intelligence. He did a great job."

When you have situations like this, you have two diametrically opposed characters. America is the positive female character who grows up. Wanda is corrupted by the Darkhold. But I thought it was amplifying her PTSD and so on, but maybe that's me projecting myself onto the character. What the Darkhold is amplifying her love for her children and then twisting it. Wanda is not that different from Gorr. They both are essentially doing terrible things...because magical objects corrupt their sympathetic plights into something else. Wanda is doing it to get her kids, and Gorr is doing it to avenge his kid. But Wanda realizes what she was doing was wrong and she gets the enchilada even before she has the revelation. She was pretty much in denial and you can see her conflict on her face. In contrast, I think Gorr's redemption was a bit rushed. Christian Bale's facial expressions carried most of it, but I think he should have had more to say to Thor to help sell it. But like I said, Love and Thunder was great, but this is the first MCU movie that they cut a bit too much out of since, like, Phase Two.

Overall, Phase Four has been amazing, though. I'm nervous about Black Panther 2, however. Even so, Doctor Strange 2 made my year in terms of fiction. I actually saw the movie 7 times. I saw Frozen II 8 times and Dark Phoenix 8, as well. I think my synesthesia loves the music of those movies a bit too much. Ha ha ha.

I really do hope that Ms. Gomez and Mr. Cumberbatch get some awards, even if it's just MTV awards. They worked with Elizabeth Olsen and were as awesome as her.

As for Wong jokes, well, Wong is pretty much the new Nick Fury in some ways. Heh heh. And he deserves it. The real Benedict Wong is a guy I really should see in other movies. I really liked his "counseling session" with Wanda when she has him captive in the Darkhold temple. Wong really is a very human character in a way that the Ancient One couldn't really be because she was so ancient. Ancient One was great, though. I'm glad Wong is her successor.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  14. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    If you haven't seen Nine Days I would highly recommend it.

15. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Ah, what could have been if the original script wasn’t scrapped (Say that five times fast!)

Here’s really cool concept art of Strange arch nemesis Nightmare from one of their mystical tomes…[face_love]=D=

I’d very happily buy a replica of a spell book from the Kamar-Taj library.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2022
  16. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    I would have been interested to see Nightmare, but I'm glad we got the story we received. Maybe Nightmare will appear in Doctor Strange 3. I'm not sure when that movie will come out, given the schedules we've seen for 2023 and 2024. Maybe it will be after 2024. Who knows?

I saw this in my recommended videos when I pulled up YouTube. Never thought I'd hear Miley Cyrus' Mother's Daughter used for an MCU character, let alone Wanda. But Elizabeth Olsen is pretty funny in her interviews with Aubrey Plaza and Kathryn Hahn. I can see why someone would consider her fruity. Nonetheless, this was a fun video. And I'm glad it wasn't scary like the one recently produced for the No Way Home Spider-Man villains that featured a Hollywood Undead song.

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    I can think this could be explained by the fact that Captain Carter and Captain Marvel were stunned by what Wanda did to Black Bolt and Mister Fantastic. They did not expect anyone to kill Black Bolt so easily, and Richards could have restrained a less powerful version of Wanda, I imagine. I can picture Wanda by the time of Age of Ultron or Civil War being restrained by Richards, but probably not after Infinity War.

The Illuminati are here to show that Wanda was too dangerous to be contained by most people. The fact that she absorbed Captain Marvel's powers really settles the Scarlet Witch vs. Captain Marvel debate. I do think that Brie Larson's Captain Marvel would have been able to hold out longer. But we've seen that some beings like Infinity Ultron can destroy variants of Captain Marvel. It's not impossible. It's just bloody difficult, given the short list of enemies who could actually accomplish it. But Wanda's murders of the Illuminati and their staff are important because it's one of the things that Wanda regrets when her variant's kids are so afraid of her. She's acting all innocent like she couldn't harm a fly, and then she's like, "Oh, right. I'll killed all those people, and I was trying to kill a teenager." As Wong said, it didn't make sense, and Wanda herself at times seemed to understand that it didn't make sense even before she realized what the Darkhold had done to her. Once you kill people who were not threatening you, it affects your mind and does damage to your soul. The Illuminati wanted to reason with Wanda, possibly because she had possessed a variant of herself that may actually be Magneto's daughter. That and they did not want to attack the body of a person who was being unnaturally controlled. She basically put them in an impossible situation and was more dangerous than any enemy they had ever fought. I'm just glad that Wanda brought the sorcerers at Kamar-taj back to life. The way that she wasted the Illuminati was frightening, but it also may be a hint that, when and if she returns, she will probably be a bigger threat to King than he would initially believe.

Jedi Merkurian and PCCViking like this.
  18. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Infinity War and Endgame showed how powerful Wanda had become: in Infinity War, she was able to hold off Thanos with one hand practically tied behind her back: destroying the Mind Stone while holding off Thanos, who had 5 of the Infinity Stones. If he hadn't had the Time Stone, then that would not have been in vain.

In Endgame, only Thanos's ordering of the airstrike prevented her from killing him.

So, I think in Age of Ultron and Civil War, I think she was already as powerful as she was later on: in Age of Ultron, her initial goal wasn't to kill the Avengers, but play mind games with them; and in Civil War, she was holding back because she didn't want to kill Iron Man or the others. Not to mention she still felt guilty about what happened in Africa at the start of the movie.

19. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Exactly. That was a terrible accident. I think what happened was straightforward: The Darkhold convinced her that she was owed. By killing America Chavez, she could have kids her own. She had been able to move on from needing Vision after WandaVision, but she didn't want to be alone. I think that losing Pietro and Vision did a great deal of damage to her, but she's been shown to be able to empathize with others and feel remorse for her actions. When it comes down to it, Wanda is not unlike other Avengers (Natasha, Bruce Banner, Steve Rogers, Tony Stark, Thor, and Clint Barton), since they needed therapy. If you think about it, many of these folks go through some pretty terrible things. I can see Tom Holland's Peter Parker needing therapy after No Way Home. Thor seems to be better adjusted at the end of Love and Thunder than he was before. It is a good way of humanizing these people, but it's also sad because they don't always get happy endings. In the case of Wanda, she didn't get much of a childhood. I've been told that twins are not the same if one twin dies, and that should be taken into account.

At any rate, I know for a fact that Elizabeth Olsen will be back for the next season of What If. I would be surprised if they don't incorporate her into future storylines. Amusingly, the autocorrect changed Kang into "King" earlier. I was saying that Kang (there the autocorrect goes again) would be a dangerous foe, and I can see Wanda redeeming herself further in future stories. But I'm not going to rule out that she could survive the Kang Dynasty and Secret Wars, since Kevin Feige would be unwise not to make a Scarlet Witch film. There would be a lot of potential in that. I think the next Doctor Strange film will be about Stephen and Clea.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
  20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    In AOU she was probably still getting used to her powers, as they were given to her less than 2 years prior. She was still doing the thing where she pulled her powers' energy from the ground of Sokovia. It was only in her later appearances that she started to branch out with her powers independent of her literal home land. So I think there is a definite power progression there. One might argue she's near the same power level in Civil War as she was in Infinity War, perhaps. I suspect being around Vision and being closer to the Mind Stone helped her tap into, and advance, her abilities quicker.

Unless it's worked into another characters' film in an "Avengers 4.5" kind of way ala the Cap sequels, we won't be seeing DS3 until Phase 6. However, given that it seemingly involves the creation of an incursion, that plot thread will almost certainly be a part of the Multiverse Saga. It's just a question of whether or not it is in a stand-alone DS3 film or as an inciting incident at the outset of Kang Dynasty and Secret Wars.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
  21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I watched Doctor Strange 2 about 1 and a half times in the last 2 weeks. When I was on hold with the bank, was watching "Pizza Poppa always gets paid!" scene which felt very apt.

The blu-ray only has 3 deleted scenes, well really only 1 deleted opening scene and alt-takes with Pizza Poppa. Although Bruce does the frying face on the grill bit straight out of Evil Dead 2/ Army of Darkness in the alt-take when Doc makes Pizza beat himself up which I kinda wish they had kept in.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
  22. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Sometimes they'll have even more deleted scenes on D+

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    But not other times?

24. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    It's different every time IIRC

25. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    You'd think every bonus feature should make it onto the physical release, but alas...

Master_Lok likes this.