main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT How did you envision Star Wars before the prequels?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth Formidious, Aug 17, 2016.

1. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Lucas revealed that Vader fell into a lava pit in an interview in 1977, in Rolling Stone I think.

2. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    From Lucas earlier interviews, i imagined the prequels to be a lot more serious. Kinda like Andor.

Gesendet von meinem TA-1053 mit Tapatalk

3. Garlician

Garlician Jedi Youngling

Oct 23, 2022
    Born in 1976, sw entered my life in 1985 and was only supplemented by the film books. I never read interviews at that age or later.
    I knew the volcano from the books.

Vader was the strange but dangerous helper of a military dictatorship.
    The Sith were always only two to me.
    The Emperor and Vader were Jedis seduced by the dark side.
    The Emperor leads the Empire out of the shadows and exploits Vader to do the dirty jobs and the military to stay in power.
    The military leadership is unaware of the danger posed by the Sith. They believe they have support for their goals with the emperor.
    They fear Vader for his ancient deadly tricks, but have little respect for him if he wasn't authorized by the Emperor directly.
    I thought that the military would like to get rid of Vader, because they believe in the superiority of technology and military hierarchy.

Because of the all-too-easy danger of switching to the dark side, Jedi no longer trained anyone.
    They were always very few and had different views on how dangerous training as a Jedi is.
    Kenobi is the exception with the Jedis because of his feelings of guilt and tries to use Luke.
    Yoda was strongly opposed to Jedi training, using age as an excuse. Yoda seemed to feel even more guilty than Kenobi about his past.

The clone wars were just some war stories that old men tell about.
    The military dictatorship seemed to have moved Luke for years. Jedi and Sith played no role in the past.
    Han Solo also laughs at Jedi as a fairy tale, although they should had still be strongly remembered in his childhood.

Leia had very little memory of her mom, which doesn't match. She should have none.

All in all, sw was dead for me as I got older. That's why I'm happy that the story was continued, even if it wasn't as I imagined. I like to mix between canon and legend as it suits me.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
    PrincessLeia17 likes this.
  4. Schilkeman7

Schilkeman7 Jedi Knight

Oct 15, 2018
    I got into SW with the special edition, so there wasn't much time between then and when the prequals came out. I didn't really have any expectations. I knew Obi-Wan and Anakin fought at some point, and we'd probably see something about the Clone Wars, but I didn't really think they would be that important. They only get referenced once in the OT, and it felt more like the kind of off-hand in-universe references that get made to make the history of this fake world feel more real. Like the Dead Marshes in LotR.

I knew a little about Coruscant from the Illustrated Star Wars Universe by Kevin J Anderson, but that's it. Everything else I learned in real-time in the Star Wars insider in the year or so leading up to release. I was really into the ship designs back then, and I thought the Naboo starfighter was rad, so that's what sold me.

The Jedi were about how I expected them to be, but again, I didn't really give it much thought at the time. Yoda seems like Yoda in TPM, and seeing young Obi-Wan, I thought it was cool that he wasn't just a younger version of OT Obi-Wan, that he had room to grow.

Sarge and BlackRanger like this.
  5. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    Hey, old account - It was awesome and will be the only SW film you add to the OT collection! From your future self lol

BlackRanger and Sarge like this.
  6. Owen Lars was a Republic Soldier and was a Friend of Obi Wan and Anakin
    Yoda was just a Random Jedi and was Obi Wan Master and he was not a Warrior
    The Empire ruled the Galaxy for more than 19 or 22 Years
    Palpatine was a Force User but he was not a Sith maybe there was something Higher than the Sith and Palpatine belonged to that type Force Users
    The Clones are not Boba Fett Dad Clones but Monsters similar like the Yuuzhan Vong when i was a Kid and watched Tartakovsky Clone Wars Show i thought Durge was a Clone and that the Real Clones were just Regular Soldiers
    i thought Xizor Character from Shadows of the Empire participated a lot in the Clone Wars just like Tarkin
    Alderaan was a very important Planet and it was a Monarchy Leia Step Father was a King maybe Alderaan was the Old Capital of the Republic and not Coruscant

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2023
  7. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I never spent much time thinking about specific story details that happened before the OT. Before the prequels the X-Wing novels and the game Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II best defined how I thought of Star Wars being continued.

8. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    Re-watching Rebels right now and it hit me: I envisioned the PT being more like Star Wars: Rebels!

I envisioned Anakin and Obi-Wan to be like Kanan and Erzra. Part of a tight knit family/squad adventuring, doing Jedi stuff, and fighting villains with the Space Western meets Samurai vibes.

I also pictured the PT to look as grounded as the OT...not more lavish/smooth/classical.The OT (and Rebels) are lean and tight. The PT is much more expanded in scope than I expected.

I love the PT as is, but it lost some of the Space Western meets Samurai vibes that the OT (and Rebels) has.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
  9. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    After reviewing many 1990s magazines leading up to TPM, it seemed like many expected the new movies to be similar to the OT. It was kinda impossible to expect this with a completely different galaxy using new special effects. The SE should have been a sign of things to come as the slapstick over use of CG infiltrated the PT leaving it a little disoriented. Then throw in the tidbits we got from the OT movies/books not being accurate gave us a different than expected PT.
    What's your top 3 scenes you didn't get?
    ---I really thought Dagobah would play a part (Luke states the feeling he's been there)
    ---Padme dies which kinda defies Leia remembering her.
    ---Anakin was a good pilot when first meeting Obi Wan but only 9 , not 13 or 15 which would have helped the romance with Padme.

10. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Honestly I didnt have a very firm idea of events before that. The main thing which went against my impression from the OT was that Yoda was in hiding on Dagobah were as I got the impression he had always been there or at least had for along time. That it wasnt just a hideout but rather somewhere which was both powerful in the force(as it was so "alive") but also good for training Jedi being away from the distractions of civilisation and technology.

I spose in a my general sense as well I got the impression that the Jedi's power was more working behind the scenes than as fighters/soldiers.