main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "I'm Going to Kill You With My Tea Cup": The Chronicles of Riddick

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Dec 11, 2003.

1. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    Hm, I might check out Below. I saw it on a shelf at Blockbuster Video (where I work), but didn't pick it up. And I liked Ghost Ship, personally.

Alan Dean Foster said that it's just a coincidence. It's not the same Johns from Pitch Black.

Yeah, I kinda figured as such as I kept reading the novelization (I won't say anymore due to spoilers.

Has there been an interview with ADF regarding the Riddick novelization, though?

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I didn't find Below to be all that great- kinda dull, was a little let down by it.

3. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Appears that Riddick is joining Brazil and Lady Chatterley's Lover in the ranks of "The Bowdlerized by Corporate Fiat"...

(From AICN, that hallowed bastion of the Fourth Estate:)

Hey Harry/Drew,

Frosty Skywalker here with a few quick things...

First about Riddick. I have heard from a great source working on the project that Universal is making wholesale cuts to the film to make it a popcorn summer action flick, and they are cutting the deep subtext that the film apparently had. From what I heard the film is now straight action and later this year we will get a DVD that is the theatrical cut and a short time after they are already prepping the directors cut with over 30 minutes of cut footage. These wholesale cuts are the direct result of poor test screenings where the audience was confused. Thank you NRG for reducing a plot driven summer action flick to typical fast food entertainment. Actually it is not NRG but just dumb people who are the cause...but it still bothers me.... Also a little off the subject I heard they have done some digital work to Judi Dench's face....

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Arg, I hope Universal's intervention doesn't prevent the trilogy from being made- I'd very much love to see where they will take this story.

5. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    :eek: The fact that this thing looked like it had subtext and such is the only reason I actually was thinking about seeing it on my own. Damn, right when I thought an actual good movie may come out. I am so sick of everything produced on film, and aired in America.

Stargate is all I have left.

-P!-

6. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I hope this isn't true. I like the deep meaning storyline and it's reminding me alot of Dune which I love. Who cares if that particular audience was confused. I will certainly understand it and maybe that audience doesn't like sci-fi.

I'm getting tired of Hollywood ruining great movie ideas just for the sack of a quick money spinner.

7. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I was tired of it six years ago. Now I'm use to it, unfortionately.

8. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ...well, i'll still fork over the cash to see it in the theatre, but if this is true, then i shall be saving my dvd-purchase until the director's cut is released...

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    AICN: "I?ve heard that the reports of ?wholesale? cuts to the film were greatly exaggerated "

10. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Sigh.... what is it with studios making really stupid mistakes?

11. RubberDuckyfromSpace

RubberDuckyfromSpace Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    Yeah, like greenlighting a Pitch Black sequel.

12. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    In related news, the new special edition unrated director's cut DVD of 'Pitch Black' (with the monniker "Chronicles of Riddick" added to the front of the title) was released today. I'm considering buying it, even though I own the original DVD version that came out originally. The new one appears to have all the same special features the first DVD did (including two audio commentaries, one of which is with Vin Diesel [Riddick], Cole Hauser [Johns], and David Twohy [the writer/director] and is FREAKIN' AWESOME) along with cool stuff like a backstory on the Chronicles of Riddick universe and Riddick's character (both of which are apparently narrated by Cole Hauser as "Johns"), some stuff from David Twohy, a making-of on both the new Chronicles of Riddick game (Butcher Bay) and animated tie-in (Dark Fury) and other stuff. Looks like a really cool DVD.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It seems to me that the only thing new to this edition (besides the title prefix) is the look at Dark Fury, Butcher Bay and COR- but all the rest of the PB extras from before remain with nothing else added, yes?

14. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Anyone looking forward to 'Dark Fury'?

15. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I am, it I can afford to spend the 15 bucks on it. I was also planning on buying the new version of Pitch Black, but some family member ran off with the car that I use and left our standard one... I rented the first version, and am looking for more special features with this one. Plus, they said that it was unrated, which makes me think that there might be some more footage here and there.

16. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    The new DVD has a lot of new stuff.

Here is a link to Amazon.com's listing of the original 'Pitch Black' DVD.
    Here is a link to Amazon.com's listing of the newly-released DVD.

Here's the features on the new DVD:

- Commentary with Director David Twohy and Actors Vin Diesel and Cole Hauser
    - Commentary with Director David Twohy, Producer Tom Engleman and Visual Effects Supervisor Peter Chiang
    - A View Into The Dark
    New to this edition:
    - An Introduction by David Twohy
    - "The Chronicles of Riddick" Visual Encyclopedia (hosted by Cole Hauser as "Johns")
    - The Game Is On
    - Johns' Chase Log
    - "Dark Fury: Advancing the Arc"
    - Widescreen anamorphic format

17. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ..meh, i'm happy with the version of "Pitch Black" that i have (which, if i recall correctly, ALSO claimed to be "Unrated", so i don't think there's gonna be any real additions to the film-proper with this new release)

18. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Ah, okay, I thought it was rated R, but I didn't really take a close look at the rental that I got.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They released both R and Unrated versions during the original release.

Hmm. I might just have to get the new version.

20. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    WEE! I have my car back, which means that I can finally pick this up and get some of those comics that I'm backed up on.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I picked up the new version of PB today, and it turns out it was worth it- it comes with a free ticket redemption for COR.

So, for $17 (at Best Buy), minus say about $10 for a movie ticket that I would have bought anyways really brings what I'll be paying to see COR for down to $7, which is still less than a matinee price, so that's a pretty good deal right there.

22. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I just got the same one. Nice that they have that coupon, although I forgot to remove it before I lent it to someone... I will kill him if he takes it...

23. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    What about the new added features? I'm especially interested in the "chase log" with Johns, and the Riddick Universe Encyclopedia.
    If the added stuff is good, I'll pick up the DVD when I'm at work again ($21 for the DVD less 20% for the employee discount should make it worth it).

Also, in reading the 'Chronicles of Riddick' novelization, I've gotten to a VERY cool plot twist.

SPOILER
    Kyra, the girl in the trailer with the wavy hair in the pony tail, firing the dual pistols whilst looking very angry, is Jack/Jaqueline from 'Pitch Black'. Surprise.
    END SPOILER

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    As a side thought- is USA Films involved with COR? Are they even still around?

They had that one-two hit back in 2000 or so with Pitch Black and Traffic, then seem to have fallen off the map.

>> What about the new added features? I'm especially interested in the "chase log" with Johns, and the Riddick Universe Encyclopedia.<<

The Chase Log is kinda neat- basicly about 20 or so brief entries, spanning Johns' 70+ day pursuit of Riddick from Butcher Bay. there's a map of a system or series of systems and each entry will zoom in to where on the map the entry took place on. New Mecca is among the planets mentioned. Ends with Riddick caught (seems his tendancy to help kids in peril slowed him down) and Jhns meeting the transport ship from PB, and Riddick going into cryo.

The Encyclopedia is limited- only about 4 or 5 brief entries, also narrated by Johns. Uses concept art and film footage to discuss the light and dark, the slams and mercs. The COR entry has a few production art pics cycle through on one side of the screen as text informs you to check out the COR DVD for an expanded encyclopedia.

One neat thing is the layout of the special features menu- once you go there, it flows left to right, in chronological order- so you get the EFBB game trailer first, then the Chase Log, then it moves on so that you have secondary access to play the movie as well as the commentary track option and the Making of PB (which is just a relatively short featurette), then it moves on again with the look at Dark Fury, then the website "Hunt For Riddick" (set 5 years after Dark Fury) weblink, the COR universe feature and finally the glimpse at COR.

25. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Hmm... in your opinion, is it worth it to get the new DVD if I already own the older PB DVD release?