main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming In a grim dark far future there is only war - A thread for Warhammer 40k

Discussion in 'Community' started by Gamiel, May 23, 2020.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Kitbashing some Salamanders successors:

and a livestream

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  2. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Is there any good console game set in 40K?

3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    from https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/10/31/the-spookiest-models-of-the-year/

"The Spookiest Models of the Year

[​IMG]

It’s the spookiest time of the year, and what better way to celebrate Halloween than by looking at some of our favourite spine-chilling models from this year. Be warned, these aren’t for the faint-hearted!

As if the dark corners of the underhive aren’t scary enough by themselves, since the start of this year, they’ve also been haunted by the Eightfold Harvest Lord. Remember though, you don’t have to outrun him, you just need to outrun the other members of your gang…

[​IMG]
    Next up is the ultimate trick or treat artist, Fabius Bile. Sometimes he’ll give you a nice treat, such as turning your army into his so-called “new men”, but then he’ll probably trick you to fulfill his own ends. Also, coats made of flesh are definitely ‘in’ this season.

[​IMG]Nightmarish robots that reanimate when you think you’ve defeated them? Nope! Count us out. The shambling, unstoppable Necron Warriors will be haunting our dreams for years to come, especially after seeing them strip Astra Militarum troopers down to their constituent atoms in the Warhammer 40,000 animated trailer.

[​IMG]

Scary characters aren’t restricted to the 41st Millennium though – check out these Khainite Shadowstalkers from Warcry. If you think the way they slip between the shadows in the Catacombs is frightening, then just pray to Sigmar you never run into them in the Souldrain Forest.

[​IMG]

Finally, there’s the Necromantic Horror team for Blood Bowl. Made up of Zombies, Ghouls, Werewolves, Wraiths, and Flesh Golems, this is a team that will terrify your Tackle Zones, panic your passers, and scare your scrimmage. Lurching their way through the topsoil and onto a Blood Bowl pitch near you soon! Look forward to seeing these guys, alongside the release of the new season of Blood Bowl, this November.

[​IMG]

As you can see 2020 has been a pretty spooky year for models, and 2021 is going to be just as good. We’ve already had a look at the terrifying Flayed Ones, and now we’re going to tease one more tantalising glimpse of the future…

[​IMG]

What’s got Johann all spooked*?

We’re sure we’ll find out soon enough – keep an eye out right here for updates and make sure you sign up to our newsletter to be the first to get the latest news!

We hope that wasn’t too scary for you. If you can handle it, please join us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to let us know what your favourite spooky model from this year is.

* In fairness, he is very easily spooked."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't know, all WH40k videogames I can think of are either computer or mobile games

Glitterstimm and Iron_lord like this.
  4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    There was a 40K videogame called Fire Warrior back in 2003 for the PS2 and Windows. The tie-in novel was pretty good.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    Gamiel likes this.
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

Space Marine for the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 is, I've heard, pretty well regarded.

I'm told that some of the Sternguard Veteran models may have been loosely based on Titus (the protagonist of the game) and Sidonus (his bearded second-in-command):

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Characters/Warhammer40000SpaceMarine

[​IMG]

Glitterstimm and Gamiel like this.
  6. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Chosen One star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    I loved that game! It was so fun and quite difficult at times.

Iron_lord likes this.
  7. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    This game was great, best 40k game imo, but for some reason they still haven't given it backwards compatibility.

Only other 40k console game I've played is Inquisitor: Martyr. Basically a low quality Diablo clone, can't say I'd recommend it.

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    I actually enjoy martyr. It kind of the one of those games you can play in half hour batches and turn your brain off.

The PS4 space hulk: Deathwing game is fun but only in co-op as the AI companions suck in single player. Though I might be Biased as I am an Dark Angles fanboy/player.

There is also a turn based Space hulk tactics game main campaign is Blood Angels versus the Nids. After you beat the campaign you can replay as 3 other chapters.

There is a Mechanicus game that was ported over to the Xbox one and PS4 this past winter, its turn based tactical.

Last month they released Necromunda underhive wars, A tactical rpg/third person shooter based off the necromunda table top spin off game. Necromunda is a hive world the Imperial fists recruit from that has a serious gang warfare problem. The table top game is a skirmish game rather than large armies, falls somewhere in between Kill team(a squad sized version of 40k) and regular 40k in terms of how many models you need.

Gamiel, Glitterstimm and Iron_lord like this.
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    And part 2:

10. anakincol

Jul 28, 2009

Thanks going to listen to this when I paint my Death wing Companions this weekend

[​IMG]

These guys are the elite bodyguard /honor guard unit of the Deathwing during the Great crusade/Horus Heresy. The honor guard for the Primarch and several other senior officers, The Lion, Corswain, and Holguin do not actualky need a true bodyguard.

These guys armed with some of the coolest weapons in Warhammer : Terranic Greatswords, Calibanite War Blades, Cytheron pattern aegis(the shields, which emit a force field).

The winged helmet on three are great and they are not as busy as the Knights Cenobium(the Deathwing Terminators of 30k) models with all the extra icon.

Also I think doing a mix of black, red and bone white is going to be fun to paint.

The new lore for the bone color is they took a wound defending senior officer of the Legion and are allowed to paint the armor that took the blow bone white to show that. the old lore around the Deathwing was that a few hundred years after the Heresy a group of Deathwing gave their lives defending their home planet from a Tyranid invasion, knowing they were going Die they covered their armor in ash(the planet had a native American theme)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    Gamiel likes this.
  11. anakincol

Jul 28, 2009
    Well, the Companions are glued into sub assemblies.

If any of you do build and paint currently (it seems most are currently just reading lore and stuff). Sub assemblies is the way to go when painting. The forge world models are also much easier to do that than the GW Plastic as the forge world stuff don't come on larger mixed piece spruesbut smaller sprues in which pieces are arranged with like ones. So you'll have one spare that's arms, one spare that's just left shoulders, one that just right shoulders.

What I have been doing is glueing the torsos together and glueing the heads on and then glueing that to the base and leaving the rest on series when I prime. Then I start painting with the torsos and then paint the arms and weapons only after I have finished the torso and head.

12. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Need this info fairly quickly before I leave Houston tomorrow. How many books is Eisenhorn? Is Path of the Dark Eldars good or not? Are there books of these black men with red eyes? Titles if omni? They seem kinda Chiss like.

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Three. There are then later follow up books where we follow Ravenor and some even later that has Eisenhorn return.

Have not read it but I think it's good based on that I have heard no complains.

Do you mean Salamander? If so, yes: https://www.blacklibrary.com/Home/S...SearchTerm&submit=GO&filter_value=salamanders

Based on this cover so is that the role of the T'au:

[​IMG]

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Omnibus
    Magos

There are actually 4 Eisenhorn books - the original trilogy (re-released as an omnibus - link above) and The Magos (link above) which is a followup novel and short story collection.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    Gamiel and Iron_lord like this.
  15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I clicked on the Omnibus one and it took me to Magos.

This should work though.
    Omnibus

LAJ_FETT and Gamiel like this.
  16. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Sorry about that - I had trouble with that post earlier. Thought I fixed it.

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    No worries - I already have that book, but I figured other posters might appreciate the corrected link.

18. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I've got the original copies of the novels in the omnibus - I think they were the first 40K books I bought. I've also got Magos.

19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The main benefit of the omnibus is a few extra short stories as well as the original 3 - which Magos already provides.

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012

The old lore still stand. We don't have anything that say that new lore supersede the old one, just because they already had a tradition of painting pats of their armour white don't mean that the reason they now are full white. We don't even know if the tradition to paint their armour white when taking a killing blow for their charge survived the splitting of the legion. For all we know so had they fully stoped with that during the time when they decided that all of the Deathwing should be white.

Iron_lord likes this.
  21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I got the impression that the old lore had been retconned in more recent DA codexes as basically

"a allegorical story that new recruits are told, to acclimatise themselves to the whole concept of Fallen, so the shock won't be so great when they find out about actual Fallen".

22. anakincol

Jul 28, 2009
    Old lore doesn't still stand unfortunately. GW have reconnect a number of things over the decades.

The history of the ultra Marines(originally a successor chapter to a Legion that went traitor in 2nd edition)

The primarchs where originally normal marines promoted to the rank of General.

Squats being around The 41st Millennium. Same thing for the Sensei(mortal descendants of the Emperor). The squats are now wiped out by the imperium during the great crusade. THhe sensei no longer exist at all replaced by the Perpetuals who are not descendants of the Emperor but instead his lesser powered beings to the Emperor.

@Iron_lord ,

The vast majority of Dark Angels have no knowledge of ofany concept of the fallen or any thing secretive about the chapter's history at all. In fact per the stories Legacy of Caliban, the Ascension of Balthazar, and several other stories the majorith of the DA are taught that It was the Traitor Legions that destroyed Caliban, and that Luther was still loyal, and he ,, the Lion and half the legion died when the planet was destroyed.

Eventually we will get a novel covering this after Black Library finishes the siege of Terra and the Heresy possibly as in a series of novels about the Scouring, the era before the adoption of the Codex Astartes when Dorn, the Khan, Jonson and Russ went To hunt down the surviving Traitor legions. Knowledge of the fallen is limited only taught to Marines when they are inducted into the veteran companies of the Deathwing or Ravenwing(the ravenwing except for their Grandmaster do not even know the entire story), induction in the ranks of the Interrogator Chaplains, or induction into the ranks of the Librarium(as they work along side the Interrogator chaplains using their pysker powers to interrogate captured fallen). All Company Masters(Dark Angels name for Captains) also are members of the Inner Circle as service in the Deathwing is a prerequisite for Company Command. The other chapters of the DA gene seed (collectivelly called thre Unforgiven also follow this )

The bone white armor had no connection to the fallen the old story was based off fighting Tyranids.

Iron_lord likes this.
  23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012

:p

anakincol likes this.
  24. anakincol

Jul 28, 2009
    Fun fact per Legacy of Caliban,

Azrael is inadvertently responsible for the destruction of Caliban due to a time paradox caused by Astelan, one of the fallen and Typhus of the death guard.

Astelan was going to use three ancient warp artifacts the Ourouborus(the warp thing at the heart of Caliban and later Caliban's ruins), the Tulcurahra device(the thing the Dark Angels use to navigate during the ruin storm in the heresy that post heresy was.moved from the Invincible reason to the Rock) and the Plagueheart (which was in possession of the Death guard) to create a wormhole in time and bring the Luther's faction of the Dark Angels to the 41st milennia an masse. They did this by bring all there object into the area the planet caliban formerly was. The Dark Angels, and the unorgiven successor chapters the Consecrators and the Knights of the Crimson Order. Fight them off.

Azrael destroys the Plague heart, and Ezekiel restored the Tulchara closing the wormhole in space time and inadvertently destroying the planet in the past.

25. anakincol

Jul 28, 2009
    I am still sad Saint Duncan of the two thin coats is no longer with GW.

Also there are a few squats still around but the vast majority of them were wiped out. How they were wiped out even is another example of my point as the original explanation GW gave was the Imperium wiped the majority of them out during the great crusade(the are the reason Mark III power armor was developed) and then let retconed to most of them being Nom Nomed by a hive fleet of tyranids.

Gamiel likes this.