main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming In a grim dark far future there is only war - A thread for Warhammer 40k

Discussion in 'Community' started by Gamiel, May 23, 2020.

1. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Never seen or played Warhammer. I just know the artwork. But I'm interested in what Cavill does with this.

2. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    If I had to guess, I think he’ll be a Space Marine, and if I had to guess chapter . . . Dark Angels.

Or, a modern-day astronaut (Henry) gets pulled into a random warp surge and spat out onto Gorkamorka, setting up a Mad Max: Fury Road looking show where half the budget goes to mutant monster trucks and the other half to performance-capture Orks.

3. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Definitely looking forward to seeing whatever it is just really wish it would landed somewhere besides Amazon. I have been less than impressed with all but 1 of their shows I’ve managed to see so far.

DarkGingerJedi and Glitterstimm like this.
  4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    The unhelmet head is boring, no personality or anything that say Word Bearers. The beakies can I see a reuse for as Exorcists or any other esoteric chapter, can also see a use for them as CSM sorcerer/apostle heads. The Sergeant’s head can be used by any CSM or for a SM chapter with a more terror theme, or has some kind of cultural idea of wearing the images of monsters and death was a way to scare away evil spirits/similar.

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  7. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Been rewatching Helsreach.

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    So we have this year's Store Anniversary miniatures
    [​IMG][​IMG]

What do people think? Personally I'm suffering from a bit of FOMO right now and will possibly by them both, maybe twice for the squat since I have some kitbash ideas for his parts, especially his backpack thing with lion heads - that one will be nice to use for anybody (40k or AoS) wanting to do a lion themed force

Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
    Iron_lord likes this.
  9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Gamiel likes this.
  10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Iron_lord likes this.
  11. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Any good Pysker books?

I hope this year I can get a kindle to start really getting into this stuff. I can’t collect the physical books cause it’s just to massive.

12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm currently re-reading the Eisenhorn and Ravenor books. (Both are Inquisitors). Plenty of psyker action in those. I recommend reading them in order. Eisenhorn trilogy is where I originally started with these.

Gamiel likes this.
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I’m involved in a project where I have taken upon myself to make a model of each of the White Scars successors that was around in M33, one of those is the Iron Talons (founding unknown but since they are a part of Astartes Praeses, where three other members are of 2:nd founding do it feel like they could have been around in M33). Now the thing is that I don’t know how to make the Iron Talon figure its own personality, and is looking for suggestions. What little information we have about them are from the book Dark Creed where they are described as “barbarous-looking in their skin-draped power armour, yet utterly devoted to the Imperium” and as speaking in hick, guttural accent.

I have on the internet seen the “skin-draped power armour” part being read as either referring to animals skins (as in mostly furs) or the flayed skins of their enemies. I have the parts to create some fur and lizard skin drapings so I think I will go with that, but here is that I already have a figure covered in furs and feel like I need to make something more to make my Iron Talon stand out from the other one.

Based on a Wiki-serach for guttural languages have I decided on using rare and historical Hebrew names for the Talons. I could continue with the old Hebrew thing and use Hebrew letters and/or symbols.

The “iron” part of their name makes me go two ways: one is that combined with barbarous do it make me think of the Conan movie (“the riddle of steel” and all that) and maybe I should try to make them more sword n sorcery barbarians. The other thing it makes me think of is the Iron Hands, Iron Warriors and AdMek, so maybe give them a lots of tech and/or AdMek stuff, making them more of tech-barbarians.

I also have some Necron bits from the starter boxes, maybe using them for the iron-feeling, which in a way would fit a bit with the old Hebrew thing (as in Old Testament where we have the Jews interacting with Pharaonic Egypt).

Another possibility is that I have some sylvaneth bits, among them large insects (as in SM hand or arm sized, not anything gigantic) and could have one or more of them crawling on the Talon’s armour or at his feet.

What do people think?

A bit in the Gaunt's Ghosts series one of the ghosts awaken as a low-loevel psyker, we follow him for a bit as he tries to deny to himself what's going on then trying to figure out what to do. Don't remember if it was good or not but it's Abnett and to many that's a mark of quality. Don't remember which book/s in the series it was sadly.

Witchbringer has a psyker as the main character, have not read it.

They are at a different level then the "standard" ones but the Carcharadons: Red Tithe and Carcharodons: Outer Dark has Astartes Librerians among the main characters, and the first one has a young human psyker among the main characters. I found them good.

JEDI-SOLO likes this.
  14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Dot Those I’s and Cross Those T’s – Black Library Submissions Are Open NOW
    "Last year, we announced that Black Library Open Submissions would soon be… well… open! We hope you’ve been busy with your quill/pen/typewriter (delete as appropriate) because the window is opening today.

[​IMG]

This year, Black Library is after stories about Space Marine successor Chapters – here are the caveats:

1. They need to be a successor Chapter – that means anyone after the First Founding, from Second Founding stalwarts to Ultima Founding newcomers, and even those of unknown Foundings (or founders).
    2. Established Chapters only – no creating your own homebrewed ones for this.
    3. We’re not looking for stories about Chaos Space Marines – some Chapters may have shakier relationships with the Imperium than others, but devotion to the Ruinous Powers is (rightly) forbidden.
    4. No Space Marines from outside the typical Chapter system – the Grey Knights and Deathwatch are off the table, as are stranger groups like the Legion of the Damned.
    5. Lastly, your story must be set during the time of the Indomitus Crusade* – not the millennia leading up to the Era Indomitus, and certainly not the Horus Heresy. After all, there weren’t any successor Chapters around back then!
    Eventually, your proposed story will end up at between 5,000 and 10,000 words, but all that’s required at the moment is a gripping 500-word extract of your epic tale, accompanied by a 100-word synopsis. This synopsis should be as engaging as possible, while summarising any key plot points – don’t worry about squeezing in every last detail, as we’ll ask you to expand on it if your story is selected.

[​IMG]

Don’t worry if you’re still working on your extract – you have until the 11th of February to complete your submission.

When you are ready to submit, just hit this big button and fill out the form.** If the editors like what they read, they’ll be in touch – and you could become a published author!

[​IMG]

If you’re still after some last-minute inspiration, pick up The Successors: A Space Marine Anthology, and for somewhere to capture your ideas, grab this notebook featuring the Flesh Tearers – a classic successor Chapter.

* Learn more about Roboute Guilliman’s plan to reclaim the galaxy in Dawn of Fire: Avenging Son.

** Don’t forget, you can only enter once, you must be over 18, and your story must be in English. Good luck – we look forward to seeing your name on the cover of a Black Library book soon!"

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Also for our IG players/collectors here there are some good news: Yarrick Is Back! Old Bale Eye and Other Legends Return as Made to Order

They also have two classic =][= figures that you can order

And I have to say that this pic with the classic and newer Yarrick side by side do I have to say that I would have liked if they hav kept the classic ones look. I just find his claw and bling so much nicer.

[​IMG]

Glitterstimm and Iron_lord like this.
  16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Gamiel likes this.
  17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Gamiel likes this.
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
    Gamiel likes this.
  20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Posting this becouse I have not seen/heard anybody make this conection before I saw this:
    [​IMG]

godisawesome and Glitterstimm like this.
  21. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Arnold casting as Emperor of Mankind in Amazon streaming show: Confimred

Gamiel likes this.
  22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Last set of legion-specific Mark VI helms:

https://www.warhammer-community.com...lfer-a-pile-of-shiny-mark-vi-armour-upgrades/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like the divergence from the basic set that the leftmost and rightmost helmets have (a stud in the middle, "breathing slits" really close to the eye, "edges" on the beaks). And the middle set's centerline mounted lens, and "widow's peak" between the eyes also provides a bit of divergence.

But the leftmost and rightmost set are annoyingly lacking in variation from each other - just a raven symbol and nothing else - no different shapes for the "breathing slits" or anything like that.

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    The unhelmeted head don't look like Vincent Price, ergo it's just terrible.

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    More seriously: like the helmet heads. The unhelmet one is to bland and lacks personality to me. Looks to similar to the IF and NL one, would have prefeared another haircut and/or some facial hair.

Have decided to creat my Iron Talon by creating “skin-draped power armour” by using converted Gutrippaz's skin-klits as base togheter with som Space Wolves parts. Togheter with this will I use a Iron Hands upgrade helmet, the crutch hang from the Necron Overlord you get in the Command starter box.

Got the thought that their homeworld is (unkown to them?) a Necron Tomb world, and that have is some ways influenced them and they are using some necron-tech that they belive/claim is archeotech artefacts. So my Iron Talon will be equiped with the Xenophase blade from the Deathwatch Veterans box and I was thinking in having the round eye on the Iron Hand head in necron green.

Was thinking to have Hebrew letter/s painted somewhere as markings.

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    We have some new models for HH: Heresy Thursday – Get the Heads-Up on an Inhuman Assassin and New Astartes Faces

After all Loyalist only assassins do Chaos get a daemonic one for themself:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's cyber-spine and "dreeds" remind me of Necromunda's Van Saar's look.

And we have some more Space Marine heads:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Set 2 is a most buy for me, finally some heads with moustaches that fit my chapter. Now, hopping for a third set with even more magnificent 'staches! [face_praying]

Iron_lord likes this.