main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indiana Jones and the Temple Of Doom Fans

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Doom Trooper, Jan 22, 2018.

1. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    He scared the **** out of me as a kid.

2. paradigmes

paradigmes Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 9, 2021
    He scare me too. I like the part when he goes through his secret trap door laughing as Indiana Jones tries to get him.

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    He was a great character.

christophero30 likes this.
  4. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    he's like an over the top Bond villain. TOD is almost like a horror movie with action.

5. paradigmes

Jun 9, 2021
    Mola Ram is so good as a villain. I like it when Willie crosses the bridge and screams when she sees him and he just says "Welcome" [face_laugh][face_laugh]

Jediking97 and christophero30 like this.
  6. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    I love the fact that he's the only leader of the villain faction who actually gets to be a major character.

You knew Indy was never going to fight Hitler, or Stalin. Those are real people, their lives are dictated by history, so the best Indy can do is defeat a group of their minions from time to time. But with Mola Ram, Indy (okay, and Shorty and Willie and Captain Blunburrt and his men) gets to actually win not just the battle, but the war. Cut off the head of the snake and burn the entire body, and liberate all their captives.

It makes a nice satisfying victory on a level that you couldn't have had in the other movies.

7. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Plus they get eaten by crocs

Sarge likes this.
  8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Which is always satisfying.

9. paradigmes

Jun 9, 2021
    I watch this again recently. I love it so much. One thing I notice is that when they come to Pankot Palace, Indiana is heard shouting "Shorty where's my razor?" - At first you might think that this is just a funny line but it is needed to explain why Indiana does not shave for dinner which he would as a gentleman normally. If he had shaved for the dinner, he wouldn't be able to have the classical unshaven look going to the Temple of Doom shortly afterwards.

10. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I love the "she's not coming. I can't believe I'm not going." line. Then the guy seemingly comes out of the wall tapestry. The whole movie is very dream like.

11. paradigmes

Jun 9, 2021
    This is my favourite still photo of Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones. I think it just capture the character perfectly in a single shot.

[​IMG]

12. CosmoHender

CosmoHender Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2016
    I'm curious, does anyone view The Lost World: Jurassic Park in a way similar to Temple of Doom? They're both darker Spielberg follow-ups that are very different and not as universally beloved as their predecessors, which has resulted in a more mixed reception but it still has a passionate fanbase still willing to defend it from criticism. Am I the only one who sees the similarities?

Jediking97 and christophero30 like this.
  13. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I think TOD is way better.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    Jediking97 and paradigmes like this.
  14. Darth Baga

Darth Baga Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 21, 2021
    Temple of Doom was always my favourite as a kid. I loved the dynamic between Indy, Willy and shortround. Plus the setting was really unique for the series.

15. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Has anyone played the TOD arcade game? It's fun.

16. paradigmes

Jun 9, 2021
    The only game I play recently for Indiana Jones is the Indiana Jones LEGO game, which is quite good.

17. Doom Trooper

Doom Trooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2014
    I think between that and the shot right before Indy punches the Thuggee guard and sends him flying, those are like the most iconic images of Indy in my mind.

18. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    Watched Raiders and TOD back to back last night, still amazing how well both films have held up and how despite being different from ROTLA, TOD still feels perfectly complimentary to it.

19. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    I sure hope Indy 5 is more akin to TOD in terms of being a darker and more intense type of Indy film. Indy deserves something like that for his final adventure. Not sure if James Manhold is a TOD fan, but if he likes TOD that might bode well for a more dark and intense type of Indy adventure. The recently released still image for some reason reminds me of TOD, which is a good thing.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  20. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Sith Lord 2015 and Sarge like this.
  21. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    This line right here:

As such, it’s notable that Indiana Jones makes the active choice to go back and save the children in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. After all, the plot is structured so that Jones could escape then and there with no consequences to him. There is no character like Henry Jones chiding him to do the right thing. Instead, presented with the choice between leaving innocents to suffer and doing the right thing, Jones makes a conscious decision to do the right thing. For all that Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom is the darkest entry in the franchise, it is also the character’s most unambiguously heroic moment.

Yep.

I like Darren Mooney's blog, it's one of my go-tos for pop culture reviews. Although he plunges far deeper into Star Trek, James Bond, and some other pop culture corners than he does into Star Wars and Indiana Jones.

22. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I read Mooney’s Black Archive book on Doctor Who’s Kill the Moon lately. It was a very insightful look at the story, so it’s nice to see a similar level of analysis here.

23. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    People seem to conveniently forget the fact that Indy makes this growth in the film. And the fact that Willie Scott is punching out bad guys by the end of the film.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2022
  24. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Unlike Marion, who starts out as a tough girl, but is quickly reduced to a "damsel in distress" until the end of the movie.

Sarge and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  25. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Also, ToD Indy is probably the most selfless of them all. This time he wasn't hired by some museum or wealthy ruthless industrialist. His adventures in ToD weren't motivated by personal profit, quite the opposite. He didn't set out for India to grab some magic rocks no museum outside of India had probably ever heard of anyway.
    After completing some deal with a Chinese mobster (for personal gain), he was already on his way back to his university to go on teaching. What happened then didn't exactly go by plan, and he got involved with a power-hungry cult that kidnapped children and turned villages into wastelands. He had no personal agenda when he decided to help. He could have turned his head the other way and be on his way out, without risking his life, but chose the selfless path instead.
    Sure, he became intrigued by that ancient cloth painting, having an idea it was part of a sacred document. But he didn't expect to make any profit by investigating further.
    Indy spent most of the movie saving himself, his friends and unknown children from slavery. He wasn't expecting to get a medal or huge reward after returning home.
    In fact, the reward he did get was spiritual, not material. Still a hero, at least to the villagers, he didn't get any physical treasures or prizes to take back or sell whatsoever. So, yes, in many ways this is the most "mature" Indy role. Nice character arc there too, from ruthless merchant or dubious trader of probably illegally acquired historical artifacts to savior of children!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
    oierem likes this.