main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 5 Indiana Jones & The Dial of Destiny All Aboard the Hype Train to June 2023!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by choccy, Mar 15, 2016.

1. DLCV

DLCV Jedi Master star 3

Dec 14, 2020
  2. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I’m surprised it’s coming out to stream just before the physical copies go on sale.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2023
    KyleKartan likes this.
  3. AndyLGR

May 1, 2014
    My soundtrack cd has now been confirmed as shipped. So it is real.

KyleKartan likes this.
  4. AndyLGR

May 1, 2014
    The soundtrack LP arrived yesterday. Really disappointed to find it’s arrived with multiple tears in both the outer gatefold sleeve and inner sleeves too. How this is possible when it’s brand new and shrink wrapped is beyond me. Hopefully I can get it exchanged.

KyleKartan likes this.
  5. AndyLGR

May 1, 2014
    The DOD soundtrack CD finally arrived yesterday. Disney have also dispatched a replacement vinyl copy to replace the damaged one that I was sent last week.

DarthHass, KyleKartan and Sarge like this.
  6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  7. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
  8. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I watched it again last night. I feel pretty much the same. I would've cut the NY horse chase, it doesn't look very convincing and adds nothing. I noticed the music more this time, JW really seems to be enjoying himself on this one compared to the last 2 SWs where I can't say he seemed very enthusiastic.

9. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    It’s not getting an Australian release, which sucks.

10. AndyLGR

May 1, 2014
    Is it true that the sale of some physical media in general is being stopped in Australia by some companies?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2023
  11. AndyLGR

May 1, 2014
    Looks like a boxset will be released featuring all 5 soundtrack CDs. It’s available for preorder on Disney emporium for $150.

DarthHass likes this.
  12. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    In Germany at least, the Disney Plus release apparently will happen on December 15, not on the first.

Did it change internationally and if yes, why?

Gesendet von meinem Nokia G22 mit Tapatalk

13. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    Ive seen that. It would cost 17 bucks to ship it to germany too. Outrageous price for a 5 CD set. I have not ordered it yet but I apparently will be the only way to own the DOD in the near future...

14. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    I watched it again. Right off the bat, there's no Paramount mountain transition. This is still a serviceable story, but my two big complaints are firstly, that there's no horror aspect to it. Usually at least one person is supposed to die in a really creative way in these movies. The closest thing we get to that is the big guy getting handcuffed underwater.
    My other complaint is the ending. Everything after he wakes up in 1969 again feels like a bad TV movie. It's slow and the dialogue's not believable.
    Generally, I like it as an action movie, but the action sequences are never as absurd as they should be. There's also an unfortunate lack of humor in it. What humor is there, is more heh-heh than ha-ha. I can accept that this movie is totally different as the final act, but it could have been a lot more lively and a bit more fun.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2023
    DarkLordoftheFins likes this.
  15. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    It isn‘t as good as it could have been. My feeling on third watching. Too distracted with ideas like Old Indy and establishing Ms. Shaw and not enough focus on being Indy. Humor, surrealism, pacing … all feel not so Indy.

16. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    The Paramount mountain thing annoyed me more than it should have. Same with the couple of Daniel Craig Bonds that didn't open with the gunbarrel. It's a small and petty thing to get annoyed with, I know it's just a gimmick, but at the same time, well, precisely, it's just a gimmick - what could it possibly cost you to keep it in? It's the traditional way these movies open, it doesn't damage the story in any way to keep using it, so for God's sake, just keep using it.

I did like the guy getting handcuffed underwater, though. Totally did not see it coming, but it fits these kind of films very well.

17. JediMasterSven

JediMasterSven Jedi Master star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    One problem I feel DoD has, and it was also a problem KoTC had, is to be blunt, Harrison is not as young as he was when he made the original trilogy. Like part of the appeal of Indy was that we were following this two-fisted, average joe hero on these extraordinary adventures. Compare the truck chase in Raiders with the TukTuk chase in DoD and this contrast is clear.
    In Raiders we watched as Indy was smashed through the window of the truck, grabbed a hold of the grill, crawled on the under carriage, and then held onto the rope or dear life. Yes, a dummy was used, but Steven still created the illusion it was Indy in the action.
    IN contrast in DoD due to Harrison's age he doesn't get as many of the more visceral action scenes that he once did. This in the TukTuk chase it's Helena leaping from vehicle to vehicle while Indy watches, making him more of a passive observer like Henry Jones, Sr. or Marcus Brody had been in Last Crusade.

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  18. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    I mean, that's basically a problem with no good solution if you've decided that you're going to keep making Indy movies. If you don't want to recast your lead, and I don't think they should have, you're stuck with the actor's age, and even if you could direct the movie so that the character is still doing all the stunts we saw in the original trilogy, the simple fact that we can look at the guy's face and see how old he is means it's still going to feel wrong. So just accepting his age, dialing down the stunts he does, and letting his son/goddaughter pick up the slack, is probably the least bad option.

(The only other option would be to go all in on the special effects and make an entire movie set during World War Two, where you use the CGI to de-age Indy. But I don't think they were ready to take that kind of risk, the technology is still very young and even when it was limited to an opening sequence, people still argued about whether it worked).

... Really, there's a very solid argument that Indiana Jones worked best as a trilogy of movies from the eighties, that the four heroes riding off into the sunset at the end of the third one was the perfect bow to put on it, and that they should never have tried to bring him back decades later. But they didn't, so here we are.

19. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    I love Helena’s theme. Beautifully done. I need to get the soundtrack — I’ve just been streaming on Spotify.

20. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    The crime:
    The culprit:

BigAl6ft6, KyleKartan and Sarge like this.
  21. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I’m wanted, waaaaanteed . . . dead or alive [face_cowboy]

22. clonegeek

clonegeek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2022
    There is always animation.

23. JediMasterSven

JediMasterSven Jedi Master star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    Honestly, all I want for Indy's continued adventures is an Art-Deco, Max and Dave Fleisher Superman serial-inspired, Indiana Jones: The Animated Adventures in the vein of Batman: The Animated Series set in the 1930s and 40s, complete with adaptations of the graphic novels Tomb of the Gods, Iron Phoenix, Iron Eagle, Spear of Destiny, and the games Staff of Kings, Fate of Atlantis, and Infernal Machine.

24. clonegeek

clonegeek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2022
    Man those comics were fun, I read them last year. I don't really remember some of them but I liked what I was getting. I think Indy is a charactor that is so entrenched in the 30's and 40's that moving him past that doesn't really work.

JediMasterSven likes this.
  25. CampOfSorgan

CampOfSorgan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2020
    Picked up the DoD BluRay today! :cool: