main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Insider #80 to feature Mandalorian article, Yo Joe!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndRest-in-Peace, Nov 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    What about energy stasis cells? I find them contradictory. In Darkness, Karkko is imprisoned for centuries, and while I don't know how he ate and did the nature business, he could call out with the Force to his fellow vamps but couldn't reach out to the cell controls . . .

2. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Excellence, the cells Obi Wan and Karko were put in are different from the cells Luke was put in Dark Empire. Let me get the info.

Energy cells are different tech.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    What kind of ship are those "shuttles" we see in the Mandalorian fleet? (I speak of th type we see three of in the pic). It looks very similar to something i recall seeing in the Starfighter series- same design?

4. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    They are Meteor Class Q-Carriers, first seen in Open Seasons.

5. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    >Way ahead of ya, TC. I actually incorporated Atha Prime into some of my Fact Files work, though, whether it made it past the editing process is something I?m unaware of since I don?t have the cards. <

I haven't heard anything about it--though I don't have the cards either; I've just been keeping up with them via a thread here on the boards. Care to enlighten us as to how you would have incorporated Atha Prime into the EU?

...And you'd better come back to the Vel-Fett-YJK connections... ;)

Senator, my bad on Affa being controlled by the CIS. I had thought that it was mentioned in a HoloNet News article as being controlled by the Separatists, but I was wrong.

The connection here is that Boba had a droid named BL-17 in the Droids cartoon show. This droid "graduated from the same production facility" as C-3PO. Most of C-3PO's original components came from the mechanized world of Affa, making it a possibility that the BL series was manufactured there. Of course, C-3PO also "graduated" from the production facilities on Geonosis ( ;) ) so BL-17 could have come from there as well. Perhaps someday the mystery will be revealed... ;)

TC

6. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    Hey folks. I?ll try to field some more questions.

DarthMane2 wrote:
    ?Was Mandalore the Ultimate the one killed by Durge??

No, Ultimate?s several centuries too early. But you might hear some more about Durge in the coming months.

?And what does the Article have down for the destruction of the Ithullan Race??

I purposely avoided this one. Someone else will be telling that story. :)

The2ndQuest wrote:
    ?Sweet- does it give a timeframe for Kast finding that??

Kast finds his set of armor in the days of the Resistance before the Rebel Alliance.

Esplin9466 wrote:
    ?Does it explicitly state that he only escaped twice? Even if "The Ordeal of Boba Fett" was tossed out, by my reckoning it still has to be three times. Unless "escape" is being used only in the strictest sense of the word (i.e., not including being spat up).?

The article only says ?twice,? not ?only twice.?

Ret-conning can be a touchy business with Lucasfilm. Make the fix sound too ridiculous (and three escapes from the Sarlacc is getting close), and they?ll flat out reject it. Because that part of the article was listing how legendary Fett?s feats are, saying he escaped out of the sarlacc (at least) twice, a touchy declaration under other circumstances, was ?in the spirit? of the ?flow? of the article.

VERY scientific, I know. But there is a careful balancing act there. When you see the opportunity, you take it.

TalonCard wrote:
    ?As I said too, the characters are dead on. Shysa and Dala are realistic interpretations of the Marvel characters, and you did an awesome rendition of the Mandalain Giant. Is the droid in the lower right hand corner of the title piece a BL series??

Yep, that?s definitely a BL, done in Joe?s realistic style. And if you have any doubts they could be formidable battle droids, just take a look at Killian Plunket?s take on C-3PX.

?I don't know. Durge isn't mentioned in connection to Mandalore the Ultimate. Actually, Durge isn't mentioned at all in the entire article. Strange.?

Or is he? Hmm?

Take care,
    Abel

7. DarthNoctambulus

DarthNoctambulus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Or is he? Hmm?

Hmmm. Maybe the danger Fenn saved Boba from? Another reason to keep reading Obsession. ;)

8. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    Do we know Ordo is a world, or could it be a city on Mandalore?

9. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Mandalore is all Jungle. Ordo is mostly like Tatooine with a little green around the equator. Canderous even says he comes from the planet Ordo in KOTOR.

10. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    "I purposely avoided this one. Someone else will be telling that story. "

Yay!!!

WHO?

11. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Hey folks,

I have been very happy to see and hear how much you guys have enjoyed the Mandalorian article. What would be terrific for both Joe and myself is if you guys could take a quick minute to let the folks at *Insider* know how much you?ve enjoyed it. That?ll guarantee that we can continue to bring you these kinds of projects in the future. You can either email Insider at:

comlink@insider.starwars.com

or send snail mail to Comlink, PO Box 23500, Oakland, CA 94623-2350

Any quick note about the article will do.

Thanks for your support folks! Now onto the questions?

TalonCard wrote:
    ?It comes from a line of Nolaa Tarkona's in YJK, where she speculates that Fett is a woman beneath his mask.?

Most impressive, TC! You get a MOO (Master of Obscurity) Award! (Maybe we should call it the Bantha Skull award).

?...And you'd better come back to the Vel-Fett-YJK connections... ?

Alright, alright. I?ll field this monster. ;)

Folks who are up to date on post-Return of the Jedi continuity would probably agree that the ?Last One Standing? story in Tales of the Bounty Hunters was, to say the least, a very reasonable way to wrap up Fett?s Han Solo obsession. By the end of the story, both of these old timers (the story takes place approximately 15 years after Return of the Jedi) have guns in each other?s faces, and neither wants to die. The author leaves it up to the reader?s imagination what happens next as the story ends cliffhanger style. It is clear to most, I think, that this story methodically builds toward the suggestion that, at least in some way, Boba is about to turn a new leaf?at the very least, his ardent animosity toward Han Solo is at an end.

A beautifully handled story. Now, however, we come to the Young Jedi Knights books, specifically the second story arc involving the Diversity Alliance. Here, Boba Fett returns, seemingly, totally unchanged by his experiences in ?Last One,? even insofar as he still continues to mess with Han or his family. If we are to believe that these two put their differences aside in Last One Standing, which is to say if Last One Standing is to continue to have any significant resonance, this depiction of Boba Fett must be tempered by some explanation, by some story. Why, after the revelations he had in Last One Standing, is Boba still acting as if that confrontation with Han Solo on Jubilar never happened, or as if it was meaningless? To assume that Boba just changed his mind on a whim after letting each other go works on a practical level, but must be considered a literary offense of the worst kind.

There are other practical problems. Boba Fett in YJK seems to be a strict adherent to the Bounty Hunter?s Creed. Yet the guy betrays hunters left and right, and *smashes* the Bounty Hunter?s Guild in the Bounty Hunter Wars. What?s more, he arguably flaunts the creed even before this (Earth time) while chasing down Jodo Kast in Twin Engines of Destruction. Lastly, Boba does not seem beholden to the Bounty Hunter?s Creed in Last One Standing, the story most responsible for giving the fans a picture of what Boba Fett?s psyche is like, which is thus telling. He adheres to his own personal code, a code that runs through the story from its prologue and Boba?s days before becoming a master hunter to the story?s very end.

Enter The Unifying Force. Boba?s conversation(s) with Han suggest that, understandably, this is a different Boba from the one we saw in Last One Standing, and seems to be a natural evolution given Boba?s state of mind in that story, to which the reader, though not Han, is privy. This distinction will be significant later.

So what to do about this appearance in the YJK: Diversity Alliance storyline? Maybe it wasn?t Boba. But if not, who could satisfactorily, from a reader?s perspective, fill Fett?s shoes?

This is where knowing your continuity helps. Boba?s child, seen in the Tales story Outbid but Never Outgunned, is for all practical purposes genderless, nor does the Gamer article which briefly spotlights the mother o

12. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    DarthMane2 wrote:
    ""I purposely avoided this one. Someone else will be telling that story."

Yay!!!

WHO?"

Rest assured, it's someone who knows their stuff. :)

Best,
    Abel

13. The_Mandalorian_

The_Mandalorian_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2004
    <<(Maybe we should call it the Bantha Skull award)>>

So the origins of this skull are STILL unknown?

14. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    DarthMane2 wrote:
    ?Alpha recruited 200 soldiers from local Police units, and a dozen more from the Death Watch. So from what I understand, that's not 212, but 213. That's if Mandalore is counted in the pack.?

It doesn?t need to be exactly a dozen Death Watchmen that joined, but if one insists on this point, maybe Ghez Hokan was kicked out of the Death Watch around this point (Or Death Squad, as it were), making it an even 212.

?Is that Canderous at the bottom? Looks like a blaster of the era(at least from the game) and he's wearing the vest he wore in KOTOR. He does look a little young though.?

Yep, that?s Canderous in the main illo alright.

?I wonder what planet that is in the background? My guess is Kuar.?

We didn?t settle on anything official for that planet in the background of the Basilisk war droid in the main illo. It could be Kuar or any of the other hundreds of planets the Mandalorians attacked.

The2ndQuest wrote:
    ?Can Talon or someone tell me if the article actually incorporated that awesome "Deluxe Boba Fett" assault jetpack into it? Or is that just there in the artwork for fun??

The Deluxe Boba is definitely in there. He was also hanging out on my desk for inspiration throughout the writing of the article.

Mavrick889 wrote:
    ?The article really does do a brilliant job of fixing the major continuity problems Marvel # 68 has with Attack of the Clones:

It seems likely that after the "shell-shocked" Spar left the Commandos (following the Clone Wars), Fenn learned of Boba Fett's bounty hunting exploits and assumed that Spar and Fett were one and the same (explaining why he tells Leia that Boba Fett, Tobbi Dalla and himself were the only survivors of the Mandalorian Protectors). This passage explains the 3 major continuity errors of Marvel # 68:

1) How "Boba Fett" could have been one of three Mandalorian survivors of the Clone Wars.
    2) How the Mandalorians could have been both defeated by the Jedi and working "on Palpatine's side."
    3) How Shysa and company could have become familiar with Leia's looks during the Clone Wars.?

Exactly my intention Mav. You also notice the article says that Tobbi and Fenn were privy to a ?great duplicity? on the part of Darth Sidious. This reads both ways, as Sidious? betrayal of the 212, and also covering the dual identity angle.

Best,
    Abel

15. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    The_Mandalorian_ wrote:
    ?So the origins of this skull are STILL unknown??

Have you had a chance to read the article yet Mandalorian? It?s in there.

Best,
    Abel

16. The_Mandalorian_

Dec 24, 2004
    <<Have you had a chance to read the article yet Mandalorian?>>

Negative.

When it hits newsstands im gonna cop it. This is one Star Wars item I can NOT afford to be without.

Abel, in Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, Jaden Korr gets into a battle with Boba Fett. Was there any chance that could have been his daughter though? She didnt have Jango's accent so i'd assume that'd be the reasonable answer. Do you know anything on this, or does the article clear that up as well?

17. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    Thanks, Mane, for clarifying the Ordo reference for me:)

So, basically, we have three kinds of known Dungeon Ships: the 1000m-long MandalMotors kind seen in the Insider article, the 150m-long Rendili Kiltirin-class from Alliance Intelligence Reports (WEG), and the 764m-long Lictor-class from Dark Empire.

We know the Mandalorian fleet consists of the MM Dungeon Ships, the Meteor-class Q-Carriers, the Pursuer-class Enforcement Ships, and the Gladiator-class Fighters, not to mention one very famous Firespray-class 31 Patrol and Attack Ship.

BTW, do we have pics yet of the Gladiators?

Do the Mandalorians not have any capital ships?

18. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    GOT THE ARTICLE NOW, GREAT WOOOHOO... Hope I never met the author, I might be kissing him for that extraordinary text *gg*

19. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    you forgot Mandalorian Dreadnaughts! in REPUBLIC they say it is from an early Mandalorian design, so they have something like the Dreadnaughts. wonder how rendili star drive got the plans.

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>(Incidentally, it?s my suspicion that the bounty hunter Samus Aaron of Metroid fame was inspired by this rumor).<<

So you suggest the Fett-as-a-woman fan theory had been around and/or popular enough in 1986/87 to have such an inspiration?

21. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Howdy folks. Trying to get through these questions as fast as humanly possible.

CeiranHarmony wrote:
    ?So was it not Boba but her who trained Zeck Enth in the Bounty Hunter Arts??

Correct. Ailyn trained Zeck.

?how old is Bobas daughter at that time? which year was she born??

Great questions CH. I don?t have these specifics pinned down for Ailyn, but I think some of the suggestions by other here are fairly reasonable.

The_Mandalorian_ wrote:
    ?Ah yes, so Jaster and Jango are still revered. I love those guys.?

Me too. :) Jaster gets a bad rap, IMO.

?One thing i know is that once i get my hands on this insider issue, im gonna be writing Mandalorian fan-fics like crazy.?

I highly encourage you, Mandalorian. That?s how I got my start. I also encourage you to hone your skills publishing in any high school or college newspapers that will give you a break.

masterskywalker wrote:
    ?Woops, didn't realize this was already under dicussion here. Looks like I got beaten to the punch by a few days. No harm though, awesome awesome AWESOME information all around though. ?

Thank you masterskywalker! High praise, here and in your ?Revelations of the Mandalorians? thread. While I can?t give you a Golden Ewok, I also bestow you with a MOO Award. ;)

?The name Mandalore the Ultimate is pretty fitting, the guy nearly BEAT the ENTIRE Old Republic,?

Considering that the Mandalorians thought the end of days was nigh, Ultimate probably took his name completely literally.

DarthMane2 wrote:
    ?Who in the blue hell is Master Jaing??

Your answer is soon in coming, Nuke. Hang in there.

Take care,
    Abel

22. Jort

Jort Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 2, 2004
    So you suggest the Fett-as-a-woman fan theory had been around and/or popular enough in 1986/87 to have such an inspiration?

I remember reading a crazy theory that Boba was Luke's mother. :p

23. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    >Most impressive, TC! You get a MOO (Master of Obscurity) Award! (Maybe we should call it the Bantha Skull award). <

Admit it, you just want me to go around saying "Abel gave me a MOO!" ;)

>She didnt have Jango's accent so i'd assume that'd be the reasonable answer. Do you know anything on this, or does the article clear that up as well?<

I'll point out that *Boba* didn't have Jango's accent until recently. ;)

> in REPUBLIC they say it is from an early Mandalorian design, so they have something like the Dreadnaughts. wonder how rendili star drive got the plans. <

Apparently, Rendili produced two different classes of dungeon ships, according to the Dark Empire Sourcebook etc. Republic probably picked up on this factoid--and the ships mentioned in Republic are probably these, and not an actual Dreadnaught.

>I remember reading a crazy theory that Boba was Luke's mother.<

You know, so did I. Aren't crazy theories great? ;)

TC

24. The_Mandalorian_

Dec 24, 2004
    <<I'll point out that *Boba* didn't have Jango's accent until recently.>>

Well, ya gotta understand that this is a game that came out a while after Episode 2

25. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    The_Mandalorian_ wrote:
    ?Negative.

When it hits newsstands im gonna cop it. This is one Star Wars item I can NOT afford to be without.?

Shouldn?t be too much longer!

?Abel, in Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, Jaden Korr gets into a battle with Boba Fett. Was there any chance that could have been his daughter though? She didnt have Jango's accent so i'd assume that'd be the reasonable answer. Do you know anything on this, or does the article clear that up as well??

That incident in particular isn?t addressed in the article. I suppose it?s possible that may have been Ailyn, but I?m not sure she would?ve had Spar?s armor by then. What?s more, the Mando piece specifies that she wears Spar?s ARC kama, which Fett did not have in JK: JA.

The2ndQuest wrote:
    ?So you suggest the Fett-as-a-woman fan theory had been around and/or popular enough in 1986/87 to have such an inspiration??

I would *certainly* say so. The Boba?s-a-girl theory got tossed around pretty immediately after ESB. In any case, the Metroid connection is pure speculation.

Jort wrote:
    ?I remember reading a crazy theory that Boba was Luke's mother. ?

Yikes.

TalconCard wrote:
    ?Admit it, you just want me to go around saying "Abel gave me a MOO!" ?

Takes one to know one, TC. ;)

Take care folks,
    Abel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.