main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Is Disney Capable of Learning the Lessons of John Carter and Phantom Menace?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jabbadabbado, Nov 1, 2012.

1. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Plus, it gave Star Wars one of the best characters in the entire Saga: Qui-Gon Jinn.

2. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    So it never occurred to the moron that he could have had both? Sounds about right for modern Hollywood...

Anyone who was in for a cut of the profit participation on Carter should be suing the pants off Disney in general and Iger in particular. Of course, they'd have to be able to prove in the legal sense that he tanked the project deliberately, which I assume is next to impossible...

3. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Plus , it gave Star Wars one of the worst characters in the entire Saga : The Rabbit Frog Rasta man ( Jar Jar )

4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Gwaan wid it haffi mek wi Rastaman bun down fiyah pon dem bwois! Murdah! Boom!

5. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with Jar-Jar. Thematically he represents the innocence of the Republic and his experiences during the War reflect how war takes its toll on such people. Within the cast, he is the symbol of the "man[alien] on the street" that the heroes are fighting to defend.

He's a very "simple" person, and a bit comical, but we all know someone who embodies those attributes at least to a degree. Yes, he can be portrayed a bit over-the-top, but frankly some of the R2 scenes play that way at times as well (I'm thinking right now specifically about the cutting saw scene in Jedi).

VMeran, rhinotaz, Bob Octa and 4 others like this.
  6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  7. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    As with many in things in the PT, I don't mind the idea of what they're supposed to be.
    I'm just not often very impressed with the execution of that idea. What you say is true, but it could have been presented in a better manner, from my point of view.

8. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    ^That's fair. I don't hold up the PT as the pinnacle of moviemaking by any means. I just don't think it deserves the crap that gets thrown at it by a lot of people.

VMeran, Iron_lord and The Hellhammer like this.
  9. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Jar Jar was eventually toned down in the PT. Qui-Gon only became more important, eventually teaching Yoda how to transcend death.

darklordoftech likes this.
  10. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    If you were a corporation, would you care about anything else?

11. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Yes, because making a quality product will get you even more cash.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  12. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    There is no lesson to be learned from TPM, because fan expectation can't be controlled or predicted. Over-hype is what hurt TPM, nothing more.

The lesson to learn from John Carter is simply to make better movies.

EviL_eLF, darklordoftech and eht13 like this.
  13. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    And people can't 'force themselves' to do it either....

No.

14. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Just for a goof, let's add a little spice to the discussion: what lessons are there to be learned from After Earth? :p

15. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    To not allow M. Night Shyamalan to direct anymore big budget movies. His best movies had small budgets (The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs).

EviL_eLF and SithLordDarthRichie like this.
  16. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Will Smith really, really wants his son to be a movie star?

Darth_Pevra, VMeran, eht13 and 2 others like this.
  17. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    That Cale and Akima should never have trusted Captain Korso... oh wait, nevermind.

Toonimator likes this.
  18. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    ^^^^^^^
    This

I had hoped the horror of the film which identifies itself as "The Karate Kid" (which itself is odd as the film takes place in China... shouldn't it be "The Kung Fu Kid"???) would have been enough to derail Jaden Smith's future Hollywood ambitions.... But Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Yancy

19. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    See, I don't even get why they didn't change the name; The Kung-Fu Kid would not only have been location/martial-art accurate; it had a nice ring to it; it sounded right as a kids' film title. I understand that they felt obliged to keep the title because they were remaking the property, but intellectually and logically, it's just not a good enough reason to me.

Which brings us to the first lesson to learn, whether you think it's from JC, TPM or AE: make sure your film's title doesn't sound stupid and/or boring.

20. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001

You are trying to compare Jar Jar with Artoo? Wow. How is Artoo cutting a rope (trying to save the group) akin to Jar Jar stepping in crap and getting farted on? Come on, Jar Jar was ridiculous. His portrayal failed miserably as comic relief.

21. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    And also Michael Bay

darklordoftech likes this.
  22. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    One can hate Bay with a passion (just like I do, believe me), but his films accomplish at least one thing that Shyamalan's apparently don't: they're not completely and utterly boring like After Earth clearly seems to be. Bay's films are large, crass, broad, juvenile and just plain stupid cartoons calling themselves movies - but they're not boring.

EviL_eLF likes this.
  23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I would agree with you until I saw Transformers 2. That movie was not only awful but it literally put me to sleep. I still haven't been able to sit through the entire thing. I-)

24. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    The I-)smilie doesn't get enough usage around here. Kudos for really using it well there... haha.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  25. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Is that the one with the grandpa Blackbird decepticon?

It felt...awkward, to say the least.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.