main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

James Mangold directing Boba Fett

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Bor Mullet, May 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Please for the love of god release Kenobi first [face_praying]

2. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    James Mangold. He could do something really cool with a character like Boba Fett. Logan was a great movie.

Bor Mullet and Krueger like this.
  3. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Logan was great. The lack of Boba in Solo is definitely going to be compensated for!

TadoFett likes this.
  4. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    DP.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  5. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    One day we'll get Womangold to direct a Star Wars film. One day...

Wrenegade and Bor Mullet like this.
  6. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Here's a scene that I want and I don't care how cliched or 1980s it feels.

I want a scene where Boba Fett needs more than his standard weaponry and knows the guy to get it for him. Then we meet some eccentric arms dealer dude who explains a bunch of new weapons and what they do. One weapon in particular is called the "Disintegrator." The arms dealer demos it and it's completely insane. Fett puts down a weapon he was looking at and grabs that one instead. He's not done.

Then we see Fett adding new stuff to his arsenal in your classic 1980s weapons montage. Clicks are heard. Straps are fastened. Cartridges are loaded up. Slow moving shot up that showcases this newly equipped Boba Fett who's gone way above his normal carry range for this final showdown.

Looks like a total badass. Pays the guy. Walks out. The arms dealer says something and then he delivers a great one liner and walks out of frame.

Cliched? Sure. Fun? Absolutely!

7. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I want Bossk, Dengar and IG88 to be main players, too.

8. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    Don't get me wrong, I am a huge Boba Fett fan, but for some reason I have a bad feeling about a Boba Fett solo movie. I get the feeling that he would be more suited for the next Solo instalment.

9. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I'd probably make it more like a Clint Eastwood Man with No Name-type of film. Namely he just shows up, we don't learn that much about his past, does his thing in a conflict, and moves on.

Also if they're going for a "space western with a morally shady protagonist" then James Mangold is actually a great choice for that kind of film I think. I mean Logan, 3:10 to Yuma, Cop Land, Walk the Line, The Wolverine, etc. That's quite a resume there.

Bor Mullet and Django Fett like this.
  10. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    We've just had 3 in 1.5 years and 4 in 2.5 years and if not for the firing IX would have been in May 19 so that's 5 in 3.5 years and is still 5 in 4 years.

I think that 2 a year could happen at some point but they need to build up the various strands of genre within that first.

More likely first is 3 in two calendar years (May, May, December) or 5 in 4 years.

He's doing one movie now and will possibly have another after that. So at this stage I only see Boba Fett slightly more ahead than 4 years ago.

It's further confirmation that Kenobi will happen at some point. Daldry has apparently been in negotiations for a year now if you go by what they say! It's likely far further along than that but these are the kinds of stories that are back channels from Lucasfilm to THR and Variety. This isn't just popular SF fansite news but actual solid contacts in the industry.

11. Matty20172018

Matty20172018 Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 20, 2017
    Why can't Disney grasp the fact that so many fans want to see a KENOBI movie?

What are they waiting for?!?

12. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Episode 9 2019
    Kenobi 2020
    Solo Part 2 2021
    Boba Fett May 2022 - Rian Johnson Trilogy Part 1 Dec 2022

Something like this anyway.......

13. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    Please LFL, all of this just mentioned.

Plus Dengar, IG88, Greedo and so on - all of the key Star Wars underworld / bounty hunter players. These films could become the GFFA "Godfather-like" films.

Trikuza23 likes this.
  14. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I was unimpressed with Logan but I thought 3:10 to Yuma was fantastic so I guess I'm optimistic about this announcement. However, of all the potential SW movies I'd like to watch, I can't say that a Boba Fett movie ranks very high on the list. If this comes out before a Kenobi movie then I think it will speak to problems at LFL. I just don't get the impression that this is what people really wanted to see.

kalzeth likes this.
  15. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016
    Depends when it's set. Personally I'd kind of like it to overlap with the end of ROTS - maybe one of his first Imperial contracts could be assassinating a Separatist leader. That would require a much younger actor.

But a post-ROTJ story could be really cool and interesting as well, in which case I'd definitely be happy with Morrison.

16. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    Hoping it will be set 5 years before AOTC to show us what made a sweet, cherubic little boy turn into the nasty kid who's urging his dad to shoot down Obi-Wan in AOTC.

17. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    I wonder if this Fett movie will be the direct sequel to Solo?

DarthKreVass likes this.
  18. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    This. In my view, 3:10 to Yuma is one of the best modern Western films around. It's an almost perfect film, and I fully trust that the guy who directed it can make a great Fett film.

While Fett himself is not a major draw for me, I'm excited about getting a (likely) much darker underworld film than Solo.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    Django Fett and kalzeth like this.
  19. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    I loved him especially in Robot Chicken. But there the Sarlacc kicked him out.

So no dates? Kenobi for 2020 and Boba for 2021/2? Wasn’t Fett supposed to be for 2018 and Solo for 2020 until Josh Trank got tanked?

Or the Stan Lee of SW films?

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  20. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    So are most people thinking that the Boba Fett movie will be basically the sequel to Solo?

Also recasting Boba Fett is going to be a bit weird considering that he's supposed to be a clone. I was fine with Han being recast but for some reason recasting a character that has an in-universe explanation for why he looks like a zillion other clones feels odd. They'd kinda be recasting millions of clones in a certain respect.

11-4D and kalzeth like this.
  21. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Technically they could go through the whole film without Boba removing the helmet, so a recast isn't a big deal.

22. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Yeah, this could be a feasible scenario. Plenty of people have been craving a Boba Fett film for years, but the truth is that he's always been a peripheral character in the saga. Is it really possible to follow him as a lead for an entire film? Perhaps his film will split time between Fett/other bounty hunters and Han/Chewie.

23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    We followed completely new characters in RO, so why not a peripheral character that is turned into a lead? It all depends on how well the story is told, and how engaging the character is. Mangold is definitely up to the task, IMO.

11-4D likes this.
  24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I really, really hope the low Solo BO numbers (thus far) doesn't affect the Mangold-directed Fett film, or any of the other character-based films. Or, if it does, that the stories aren't abandoned, but rather, broadened a bit to encompass important events that tie into the larger narrative. So instead of a "Fett" or "Obi-wan" film, we get a film about how Jabba solidified his hold on Outer Rim power (with Fett as a primary protagonist) or a film about how friends of the Rebellion kept the Empire away from Luke, etc (with Obi-wan is at the primary protagonist). But please, LFL, don't jettison these spinoffs. They are my favorite thing about the new Disney era of Star Wars.

25. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    What fans really want more of is lose anthologizes of the old republic. Both tv shows and movies. That what I want more of.

Keep in mind that Disney does have plans for an Obi-Wan movie, but the script has not come in yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.