main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books JJM returns with 'The Living Force'

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Fettster, Sep 7, 2023.

1. HD89

HD89 Jedi Master star 1

Aug 18, 2008
    The premise of this book is absolute music to my ears. Love the Jedi Council.

Mace and Plo! Awesome. Two of my all-time favorite characters. And POV chapters as well?! No way. This is great. Day 1 purchase for sure. Like someone else said, already dreaming of a trilogy of novels featuring the council in the lead-up to AOTC and ROTS.

Darkslayer likes this.
  2. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    I tend to agree, but hopefully this will resolve that. Having a more solid sense of what came before TPM (High Republic) should allow for the Jedi Order of this era to feel more fleshed out.

Stymi likes this.
  3. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I say take it a step further and turn that bit IRL reasoning into canon - have the crazy Kaminoan from TCW be the one to assassinate him for some reason (maybe he stumbles on the army and Dooku).

4. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Any chance we get a namedrop of Micah Giiett?
    Maybe also Tyvokka in Plo Koons story?

Irredeemable Fanboy likes this.
  5. clonegeek

clonegeek Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 28, 2022
    Bro if Micah Giiett comes back that would be great

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  6. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Given Its the TPM council best case is he's mentioned as Ki-Adi's predecessor.
    But he was definitely an interesting Jedi in Legends.

7. Irredeemable Fanboy

Irredeemable Fanboy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 27, 2020
    I definetly hope so, subtle connections to the Jedi Council comic aren't out of the realm of possibility.

ConservativeJedi321 and AusStig like this.
  8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I am seriously excited about this! The author, the plot and overall concept.. very happy! :D

9. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    Wow! This is exactly the kind of thing I've been waiting for! Hopefully a sign of more things to come and more prequel-era novels. JJM is a great writer too.

Darkslayer, Ghost and AusStig like this.
  10. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jedi Master Frizzy Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I love the TMP era and JJM writes great books. Loved the Kanan and Hera one. His Kenobi. This being about the Jedi Council members, cant wait.

11. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I'm betting Qui-Gon is a bit of a High Republic fan. I mean, the Jedi are far closer to regular folks despite their fancier vestments simply because of their outposts. Once they pull back to Coruscant, that's what keeps them from regular folks ... even as Jedi vestments become more humble.

Slater, QuinlanSolo, Ghost and 5 others like this.
  12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Qui Gon definitely would have loved the high republic way more than he would the modern Jedi

13. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    This has already come up in Kiersten White’s Padawan. Qui-Gon knows of Orla Jareni and is intrigued to find out from Obi-Wan that she was a Wayseeker.

14. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Would you recommend Padawan?

15. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I remember that!

I would!

Darkslayer and Jedi Ben like this.
  16. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    It's very much a YA book, but I enjoyed it!

Jedi Ben likes this.
  17. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yeah, it's not bad at all. Not absolutely fantastic, but it had some memorable parts.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  18. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Wonder how much it will be addressed in the book, since HR Phase 3 ending is only at 2025, and four members of the Council, that were active at that time and made hard choices in the face of great danger, can't response in details to Qui-Gon's complaint without spoilers for readers.

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yeah I’m really interested in this take on the TPM council, especially since they can draw on both The High Republic and Dooku’s TOTJ episodes.

And we know that even if they aren’t canon anymore, JJM is aware of novels like Darth Plagueis and Cloak of Deception to be able to add some interesting context, and maybe leftover ideas on the Sith Wars from his Knight Errant series (especially since the High Republic has shown the preceding dark ages would fit very well with a state of the Galaxy described in Knight Errant).

Plus he has the Sequel Trilogy, and the animated and live-action series to draw from now too, to wrap all the continuity together (I don’t expect to be used too much, but I’m sure there will be some nods and other cool connections). It all has the potential to be great. This premise itself is already intriguing and great.

Slater, Dawud786, Jedi Ben and 2 others like this.
  20. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    In what sense? I actually feel like new canon usually delivers on those.

21. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Obi-Wan is 15 and stranded on a planet with other kids, ranging from teenagers to younger. It's definitely written to that demographic.

22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yeah, YA, but not in a bad way to sound disparaging. Like the Jedi Apprentice series. I actually thought the plot was going to be like Melida/Daan's from that series because the summary bore some resemblance, but it's a different plot altogether. Also the writer is more humorous.

23. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    If anything I would consider it aimed at even younger readers than most YA books. It was basically an extended Jedi Apprentice book, and rehashed a lot of that series' themes and story-lines for new canon

24. Kadar Ordo

Kadar Ordo Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 9, 2021
    Really excited for this. Hope to learn more about some of the Councilors that didn't get super fleshed out even in the old EU, like Depa Billaba and Even Piell.

Darkslayer likes this.
  25. HMTE

HMTE Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2021
    One thing that interests me about the premise of this story is the description of yet another Jedi outpost being shut down. Yet another. Legends material occasionally made reference to the fact that the Jedi's numbers were in decline even in the years leading up to the Clone Wars. But this was always sort of met with a shrug.

We never see the Council's reaction to this information or their plan to deal with it. Or if there even is a plan. Do they just think they're going through a rough patch? Do they think a less is more approach is best? Are they happy to be centralizing the amount of Jedi based on Coruscant so the Order is more under their watchful eye?

Barriss_Coffee likes this.