main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

John Powell - composer for Han Solo (w/ theme by John Williams)

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Seagoat, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    How do we know that is from the film and not just trailer music?

2. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Because it's an actual scene from the movie and not a trailer. And then there's John Powell's confirmation.

Jedi Knight Fett and wobbits like this.
  3. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Nice. That's cool! I am not gonna watch though. I prefer to know as little as possible when I see films anymore.

4. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    0:18 - 0:38 - a style new to the franchise. I like that.

Do not like the Luke Theme/Rebel Fanfare from 0:38 onward. News to me that Luke Skywalker or the Rebellion is part of this story. Thematic integrity still seems to be a lost art in this Disney era.

Ditto for the copy-paste music from 0 - 0:15. If I want to relive the ESB asteroid chase, I'll watch ESB.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    cwustudent likes this.
  5. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    tv spot Scored by Powell?

6. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    “TV Spot? Where?!”

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Looks like the title tracks have been leaked for the OST

8. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Indeed. Nothing quiet so spoilery as "Qui-Gon's Noble End", but I'll tag them just in case

[​IMG]

Larsonator likes this.
  9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Cool cool.

10. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013

Solo talk from 35:30 to 45:00

cwustudent likes this.
  11. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    I hate to say, but I just got back from seeing it, and I found the music mostly unmemorable. Not quite as good as RO's score, but still fine enough. JW's composition for Han's theme was of course fantastic, and I loved the music associated with
    The marauders
    but otherwise, nothing much stuck out to me aside from returning themes

Hope others can enjoy the score more than I did

CaptainEO, B99 and Jango--John like this.
  12. Jango--John

Jango--John Jedi Master star 3

Jan 17, 2005
    Aside from JW's Han Theme, the Han/Kira theme (Lando's Closet) is really a standout.

Powell killed it with this theme. Really wish we would've heard more than two tracks worth of this theme throughout the soundtrack.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    wobbits and 11-4D like this.
  13. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Seagoat, I find that scores rarely stand out on first viewing. Even John Williams' scores need time for me to get used to them and pay attention. Most films the first time I see them, I barely notice the score cuz I am engrossed in the story. I will say that I did notice the music here and there in a positive manner. It certainly seems to work well in the film as underscore. Nothing distracted me from the film for sure, which is always good.

14. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Marauders is lit!!!

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  15. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Best and most memorable theme was the Maul theme , not even sure it appears on the CD release score oddly enough. I think Rogue One had a better composer( Michael Giacchino) and we had some memorable new Imperial suite themes(like Krennic) that really stood out that you could hum or whatever and of course we had that "Hope" theme in Rogue One .

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  16. corinthia

corinthia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2016
    The Marauders' theme was really memorable to me after the first viewing! Myself and my friend (who has the uncanny ability to remember film scores after one viewing and can name film composers based just on hearing a tiny clip of music) really enjoyed how Powell's score fit with the movie.

Alpha Spook and Jedi Daniel like this.
  17. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I thought Powell did an admirable job. The soundtrack didn't standout but did its job nonetheless. My favorite parts were the callbacks to OT themes.

Jedi Knight Fett and Darkslayer like this.
  18. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    John Powell is a far better composer than Michael Giacchino.

Alpha Spook, Strilo and Skydoll like this.
  19. Skydoll

Skydoll Jedi Master star 1

Apr 27, 2016
    Although I was excited by the choice of composer for Rogue One in Michael Giacchino (I'm a big fan), I was disappointed by the score itself. I know how fast it was written, so there are mitigating circumstances for that, and it does the job. But it's not really much more than by-the-numbers, lacking the deeper thematic layers a SW score really needs. Being a fan of John Powell's intricate and atmospheric work on the Bourne films, I was cautiously optimistic, though apart from his scores for various animated flicks had never heard anything orchestral that seemed to 'fit" with him being a logical successor to John Williams. Well, dammit, whoever at LF chose him was right! Okay, so there is a lot of input from Williams, both in the form of Han's theme and many and various quotes from the OT, but Powell's own contributions are both seamless and have a character all their own. I love the Qi'ra/Han love theme, the ominous three-note descending refrain that signals oncoming villainy and - standout - Enfys Nest's theme. That semi-chaotic, choral character theme is both sinister and uplifting, especially after you know who Nest really is! The train heist action music is also thrilling. The way Powell gives Tie Fighter Attack a bombastic overhaul - together with quotes from the Asteroid Field sequence from TESB - is air-punchingly good. I've only listened to the album three times so far, but I'm loving it. A really fine soundtrack that this time feels as if cinematic Star Wars has found its true heir.

Congrats John Powell on joining the Star wars musical family, and I truly hope you are asked back to score future movies.

20. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014

Love this!!

Howard Hand likes this.
  21. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    John Powell has officially staked his claim as the next "court composer" for Star Wars. I've been listening to the soundtrack on repeat since Thursday night and it's one of the very best scores I've heard in a long time in addition to being a great SW score. Powell ticks off all the necessary boxes...

Original themes: Qi'ra's love theme (an all-timer), Chewie's theme, and Marauders/Enfys Nest's theme
    Re-arrangements of Williams: "Reminiscence Therapy," "Corellia Chase," "L3 & Millennium Falcon,"
    Action scene accompaniment: "Into the Maw," "Train Heist" (also Reminiscence Therapy and Corellia Chase of course)
    Big emotional cues: "Lando's Closet," "The Good Guy," "Good Thing You Were Listening"
    In-universe pop music: "Chicken in the Pot"

He captured the spirit of JW's Star Wars compositions while adding new wrinkles such as the Bulgarian women's choir, which reminded me of Joseph LoDuca's work in Xena: Warrior Princess (don't laugh! the music was great!). Powell should get first dibs on whatever SW movie he wants to score next.

22. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    The Solo score didn't really hit me during the screening, apart from Enfys Nest's theme. I have had chance to have a listen through now in isolation and I really like it. Some nice interweaving of classic themes.

I especially like "Is This Seat Taken?" because it is a lovely theme in the tradition of classic heist movies. I could almost imagine it in The Thomas Crown Affair, The Italian Job, Ocean's Eleven or Mission Impossible, played during those clever montage type scenes when the heist is underway and each heist member is doing their thing.

Have a listen and see if you can see what I mean.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    Howard Hand and Sarge like this.
  23. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Yep, pretty much what happened

I dunno why I fell for the same trick a fourth time lol. Found all the movie scores so far underwhelming the first time, had a chance to listen to them again later, and boom, I love them

Powell did a really, really good job. I do still ultimately prefer Giacchino's RO score, but Solo's is solid

24. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    If anybody wants real chills, play "L3 and Millenium Falcon" from the Solo score, and time the rousing Star Wars theme bit at 1:39 to footage of Luke turning round at the end of The Force Awakens.

You can thank me later.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    11-4D likes this.
  25. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    I've listened to this score a few times and there's nothing groundbreaking. Overall it felt more Pirates of the Caribbean than Star Wars. Lando's Closet is sweet to listen to.