main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Keri Russell (Zorri Bliss) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ewoksimon, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Except I'm not kidding. I don't want her to be Mara. I never got the excitement over that character. *shrugs*

2. Jedha

Jedha Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2017
    I like this but I hope that Mary and Luke have a son, and it would go a long way to explaining why Luke was so broken in EP8

TadoFett likes this.
  3. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    She'll be Jara Made.

4. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    Id be excited for Mara in an absolutely different circumstances. This story absoultely doesnt need her.

dekaneas likes this.
  5. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Keri isn't a kid she Is 42 years old.

6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm dead serious too. She's an atrocious character.

Birkendoc likes this.
  7. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Red 1980s hair...

[​IMG]

Opening flashback to returning Knights of Ren. Shows the other people from the temple. We realize that Luke wasn't the only teacher there. Mara Jade was there too. They were in love. She dies in the temple destruction. Luke didn't want to talk about it. She's killed by one of the Knights of Ren. this Knight of Ren is also credited with Leia's death later. This Knight of Ren becomes the new bad and overthrows Kylo Ren.

Ben Solo and Rey then hit the FO and he Knights of Ren, including this guy, hard.

TadoFett and kalzeth like this.
  8. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    Having his temple/new order of Jedi destroyed and losing his nephew to the dark side isn't enough to explain it?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    TadoFett likes this.
  9. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I am calling it now. Keri will be playing Snoke's secret apprentice. [face_devil] :redsaber:

10. Birkendoc

Sep 20, 2001
    Why on earth would we be introducing a whole branch of the Skywalker clan in the last third of a trilogy and nine-movie saga? We already have compelling characters. This would just unnecessarily bog down the the story.

11. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
  12. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    I immediately thought of this old nugget/leak about Snoke:
    http://www.slashfilm.com/snoke-apprentice/
    I think JJ using the codename "Mara" is a winking hint that she's a Force-using antagonist of some kind and the Variety report indeed suggests the role will be "action-heavy." It would be a smart PR/marketing move for Episode 9 to leak more info like this to get people amped up in advance.

13. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Mara would be a great idea. I also like the idea of her and Luke having a kid who died in the temple massacre.

14. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    She could be Mara Jade, wife of Luke, mother of Rey, and the other apprentice of Snoke.

15. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Oh snap!

16. Birkendoc

Sep 20, 2001
    But you can't assume that the average viewer has read any of the EU. It would take most of the film to establish that exposition and quite frankly, it would take away everything the first two films set up to tell the Story of Mara Jade which no one really needs at this point.

Senator Wan and RiddleMeThis like this.
  17. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Speak for yourself lol. I’ve never read the old EU but I’d rather watch a character with Mara Jade’s bio be developed into the story than have the story be about nothing but Reylo and FinnRose.

Snoke’s force sensitive former assassin as opposed to Sheev’s force sensitive former assassin is a change in her story that makes it relevant in this version of the story. It would be disappointing to not have a character inspired by Mara Jade interact with Luke, but it’s still a great character bio without that. She could have even been tasked with assassinating Luke just like MH was, and failing in that task off screen in TLJ because Luke died the way he did.

I’m having Holdo flashbacks now though. I had such high hopes for Laura Dern playing a cool SW character. Gotta wait and see.

18. Birkendoc

Sep 20, 2001
    Why I would be not want a character like this?

It would totally change the entire trilogy. JJ and RJ have set up a trilogy about Rey, Kylo, Poe, and Finn, Not Luke Skywalker and a reasonable facsimile of Mara Jade. That story was told in the Zahn novels and doesn't need to be rehashed.

It comes across as throwing everything out and recreating fan service for those still wanting the Luke/Mara dynamic from THIRTY years ago.

That ship sailed some time in the Bush 43 administration. The ST is about something new entirely.

And since I doubt that is the character she has been cast to play, I'm not all that worried about reams and reams of new exposition bogging down the story to explain a new character.

KR will be a secondary character at most. The question lies in which side of the war will the character emerge.

Senator Wan likes this.
  19. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Could Russell be a daughter of Han and Leia?

DarthRosie, TadoFett and Taylore like this.
  20. Taylore

Taylore Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2017
    On the one hand, past experience tells me not to get too excited speculating about who a favorite actor could be playing.
    On the other hand, I'm already excited because darn it, I like Keri Russell and she could be a great fit for Mara Jade, and I like JJ Abrams' ability to direct actors. This could be a great way to build positive buzz with a lot of us.
    On the other-one hand, it might not make much sense for the story at this point.
    On the other-other hand, I'm not sure that it could hurt the story at this point, since it's unclear where the story is even going and there are precious few mentor-level characters left.
    On the other-other-one hand, hands are a great place for getting DNA for cloning dual-vowel Jedi, so...I'm kidding, I don't want that. But I do want Mara Jade.

21. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008
    That's a wonky looking lightsaber she's holding in this picture but I like the novelty coffee cup hilt

or am I just seeing what I want to see?

22. Birkendoc

Sep 20, 2001
    If they gave birth to her around the time of ANH, I guess.

23. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    She's not British?
    Can she do a Space British accent?

My first thought is Rey's Sister. I know the age difference is large, but in movie terms it's enough to make her look "older", but not motherly.
    If this movie plays with Rey trying to find out the truth of her origins, back on Jakku. (I'b be quite happy with more Jakku)

I saw mention that the role involves action sequences. Running a bit and going "pew pew"? Or more athletic?

Of course she could be in a 10 second flashback to a distant memory of her mum being killed by Evil....

Or, flashback Leia with a bit of CGI facepainting? Kylo feeling pangs of guilt?

24. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    No-one cast has been who we think they will be/want them to be (BDT, LD, MVS etc) She will just be a strong female character in the military - Nothing exciting!

KSennia, Senator Wan, Taylore and 3 others like this.
  25. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Oh sure. The odds are she's just a new character, maybe with only a small role. A new Paige.

Senator Wan and Avnar like this.