main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kylo Ren/Adam Driver Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

Tags:
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I did not see Anakin that way or feel bad for him in ROTS whether I was “meant” to or not. I don’t feel bad for anyone who, when presented a clear and better alternative, deliberately choose the most evil and/or stupidest option.

I only felt bad for him when he was enslaved and when his mother died.

And obviously I’m a fan of the character.

Kylo gave me even less to feel bad for than Anakin did.

2. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    Anakin Skywalker is tragic because we see him from an innocent boy to a troubled Jedi and then his fall from grace and we see how he was tricked. And knowing he is willing to do evil acts to achieve his ambition to stop death because of his trauma is more sympathetic then Kylo, who is already evil (with no motivation other than wanting to be strong or “too much Vader in him???)) at his introduction and feels bad that he has a conscience. And in TLJ we learn he killed the Jedi because he was already evil and Luke tried to kill him. His tragic backstory that fans thought about more than the writers where he was contacted by Snoke from a young age is barely apparent in the movies and while I understand feeling bad for him it’s poorly executed compared to Anakin

and if we look at the intention, George Lucas wants the viewer to forgive the sinner, but he still gets his legs chopped off and by the end he is metaphorically in hell.

The sequel trilogy team wanted a tragic hero because it’s part of the formula, but Kylo is not developed as a tragic hero, he’s already Snoke’s henchman and is used for lightsaber duels, walking around hallways, and interrogations like Darth Vader. A big part of The prequels is seeing Anakin in more everyday settings where we can see him as a relatable person

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  3. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    I read the DOTF synopsis in the lead up to TROS but being reminded with that summary, it is kind of mind blowing. I loved the redemption angle but that particular villain arc seems much more fleshed out than what we got for his redemption.
    Like you said it shows how little TLJ actually led to anything substantial, it would have still made as much sense to have him all out evil and it is a little disappointing we didn’t get some of the discarded elements , heading in either direction.
    The production of the ST particularly TLJ was so short sighted, such wasted potential. I’m not just complaining to complain… there was something much deeper potentially and stuff like this is a reminder of how much less depth they ultimately went for.

4. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Well what george wanted was far more complicated.

Anakin the space jesus of the galaxy, possible chosen one. he was a good person with abit of a short fuse. he had the jedi who some feel were unfair towards him. and others WHO feel anakin was overreacting. well he is convinced to kill them all to save the attachment the jedi wouldn't allow him to have. he turns to the dark side and we watch his fall into corruption, he then is burnt alive, but revived and creates mayhem for 20 years. he then sacrifices himself for his son and goes to jedi heaven.

I don't think Lucas see the dark side as a reward, but as constant misery. he has said dark siders are not happy people because they constantly crave more power. power they will never get enough of and it will never stop. and thats pretty much the rut they are trapped in. so in a way, it is hell.

See i don't think Rian and JJ wanted Kylo to be a tragic hero. i don't think neither of them did. i think both thought they were very clever in defying audience expectations. because audiences really were confident he would be redeemed, and i think they really wanted to stir that expectation up. and i think any elements of tragedy were there to mirror Vader as part of the defying.

IMO though it makes most sense that Ben Solo is infact a tragic figure. the only son of Han and Leia, the seed of their love, at a young age he was prayed upon by a dark sith due to his innocence and heritage to Anakin/Vader. to what degree that is, hasn't been explained, but its likely Snoke didn't enter the picture and was suddenly like wow i didn't have to do anything as this kid is already messed up! :D. no its likely Snoke had a really big part of what happened to Ben Solo. and Like anakin, if you tip someone towards the right place, then they are gonna fall. and to say well someone is stupid for trusting someone they thought they could trust or made a mistake that led down a bad path. well ain't we all stupid then.

Us watching Star Wars and saying well i pick this side because i know them and don't know you.

sian1965 and HevyDevy like this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don’t think we’re all stupid because Anakin and Kylo make stupid choices in ROTS and throughout the ST.

We do not all choose the stupidest and/or most evil option when clearly given alternatives. Some of us, I would say many of us, take the alternatives.

Not only that, we have a responsibility to do so.

While I am sure some people do take pity on those who continually and deliberately make stupid choices, evil choices, and/or choices that make them miserable—I don’t. And have not and would not expect anyone to pity me in the same situation.

There is a reason that “play stupid games, win stupid prizes” and “**** around and find out” are common expressions.

If the Dark Side is “constant misery,” which it might be, then “stopping the horror” is the viable and most intelligent option. And Kylo was presented that option point blank in TFA, so there is no reason to pity him for refusing to take it.

6. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Thats like saying to someone with a drug addiction, who alot of them ain't particulaly happy people, but its like saying to them well you get no sympathy from me because if you are unhappy just stop taking them, see easy, bye!

Its constant misery, because they hunger power. but why do they hunger power? probably because they like the feeling of it. at its peak this is what happened to anakin. the yellow eyes only happens are meant to show alot of power is infused in him right? presumbaly its a very addictive feeling.

[​IMG]

And again, when it really comes down to it, like in the real world. rules are set up to protect people, the jedi set up rules to protect jedi from falling to the dark side. its not just a case of trusting people to say no, because most of those same people fear falling to the dark side also. and thats probably not because its as easy to avoid when you are tapped into a mystical force that could go either way. its a case of once you start down that path you stand a good chance of being screwed and not even realizing or maybe even caring.

And we all trust people we shouldn't and we all make mistakes. infact i believe someone was on a Star Wars podcast talked about their own experience where they said that very thing, they said they got convinced by people who they thought were friends to go to certain events or parties, which just led to drugs, then addiction, then that addiction tore their relationship with their family apart. led to doing stupid things to get money to get more drugs, and only after a few years and rehab had they sorted their life out and mended things with his family to the best they could. its just reality. unless you are a saint, everyone has made mistakes.

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Addiction is a disease. I sympathize with anyone with an addiction and believe it should be treated in our medical system as diabetes or cancer is.

The Dark Side is not a disease, it is a choice, and I’m not going to rethink the way I have watched Star Wars for 44 years in order to equate the Dark Side with a disease, solely to make sympathy for Kylo more convenient. I’m not so interested in sympathizing with Kylo as that.

So I stand by what I said. If choosing to commit evil deeds is making them so miserable, they can, as Vader did at the end of ROTJ, choose to stop the horror.

8. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    I agree, however

We know using the Force with aggression and anger causes you to fall to the dark side. We see the choices and acts that lead Anakin to become infused with it. We don’t get that with Kylo Ren. So all the audience knows is Kylo used the Force aggressively and fell to the dark side, which doesn’t necessarily evoke sympathy without context.

godisawesome likes this.
  9. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    The key word here is seduction, not addiction. It's in the films.

Seduction means, etymologically, 'to lead astray'.

In that sense, it's clearly manipulative. That was Snoke/Palpatine and 9-10 year old Ben let's say.

But, of course, it was about hijacking the victim's agency, and from a certain point on, Ben was also the one choosing to lead himself astray. That's what others wanted him to do.

Then, after the hut, that agency took over. But not before, and apparently Ben was also, by choice, fighting those impulses - and failing towards the end, since Luke noticed them during Ben's training. ('His' training would imply, perhaps, the idea of Luke training Ben separately)

10. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    If Johnson genuinely, really didn’t want Kylo to be a tragic hero, than he wouldn’t have had Rey sympathize or fall for him, and he would have recognized that Abrams had already done more than he ever could to defy expectations he’d be sympathetic.

Instead, he pimped out Rey to try and portray Kylo as a male lead we should be be sorry for.

Fact of the matter is that Kylo was presented as more sympathetic and engaging by the time TLJ was done, even though substantially he was, if anything, less sympathetic and interesting than he was in TFA.
    The problem is Ben’s context; his context means that he is judged relative to other characters around him, which is where his lack of a sympathetic background by the standards around him can undermine the attempt to argue he’s a tragic figure himself… and make it more like he’s a tragedy that happens to more sympathetic characters.

it’s why the addiction metaphor really doesn’t mean anything by itself.

If someone suffers an excruciating injury, and they become addicted to pain pills to fight off the pain, that’s one thing, as is someone being traumatized by horrible events in their life and turning to alcohol or opioids to try and escape that depression: a rich kid getting bored and popping pills in his mouth from his mom’s cabinet and becoming addicted is something different.

And it’s especially different if the story around the rich kid features people suffering excruciating injuries and horrific emotional trauma in comparison to him… but not getting addicted. And it’s a world of difference if the rich kid is causing those excruciating injuries and horrific emotional trauma.

Anakin could at least point to horrific emotional trauma from finding his mother tortured to death after being separated from her, losing a hand to Dooku, and going through an entire war; all that adds up to a situation where him returning to his “addiction” to deal with the stress of his wife’s seeming inevitable death makes sense and tells an emotionally empathetic story we can understand…

…And Lucas still knew we would be more likely to find catharsis in seeing him lose three more limbs, most of his skin, and his lungs for betraying his friends and the Galaxy before he would fit back into the kind of tragic paradigm where we could feel for him as dying father trying to do what he could for his boy after a lifetime of horrific mistakes.

Kylo is a plague upon his house and upon the more sympathetic heroes, even taking into account the likelihood that he was an ordinary kid once and that Snoke/Palpatine led him astray.

He *always* needed something more horrifyingly substantial to wreck his childhood than simple toxic influence.

11. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Agreed. Ben always needed something that would give him good reasons to shake his trust in the authority figures he had growing up. Maybe something like, say, the revelation that his uncle, the paragon of the New Jedi Order, and his mother, a leading Senator in the restored Republic, were having an illicit incestuous affair (maybe even resulting in a love child that they abandoned on a desert planet?).

Oh, sorry, I had a Game of Thrones flashback there. Wrong one-handed blond knight who kisses his sister a little too deeply, I guess. [face_devil]

12. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    I knew we'd never get a satisfying answer to Kylo's fall because in a post-TFA interview JJ was asked a few questions, reason for Kylo being evil was one of them, and his response was "I decided to leave that to a future writer." :rolleyes: I guess it's too much to ask that a writer come up with motivation for the son of the old heroes to be evil.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    JJ's answer was a fancy shmancy way of saying "I have no ****ing idea, I'm making it up as I go along and don't want to follow through".

14. Jedi_Fenrir767

Jedi_Fenrir767 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 16, 2013
    That summarizes the ST in a nut shell.

wobbits, ChildOfWinds, 2Cleva and 2 others like this.
  15. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    Maker forbid JJ ever answer a question. He makes the pilot and moves on. His motivation is "they did it that way before...." His (and his buddies) take on Star Trek was just as ruinous. His best thing is casting - he gets great people but then strands them in terrible plots with no motivation outside of "well, this has to happen so that the story moves forward."

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don’t understand starting a story and then not caring where it goes or not having an end resolution in mind. Especially on a point so integral to the plot as “Why is Kylo evil?”

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Bu-bu-but it's explained in these here comics! Obviously you have to read them, duh!

18. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    It is astounding that after TFA so much was still unknown by the creators. Two completely different visions by 2 different directors. And they wonder why the ST is divisive. Thank goodness we have the Mandalorian.

19. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    …Which doesn’t become a problem as long as your working with people who enjoy that kind of prompt; thus why it’s been a successful pilot philosophy for him.

Though I would personally argue there’s another perspective Abrams might have had: that it was a fancy-schmancy way of saying “I have vague ideas about him being brainwashed by Snoke… but he's not the male lead or a even a secondary protagonist, so the next guy has a LOT of leeway with a character who really only needs a functional motive for a villain.”

…Which *is* a different formula and conundrum than what LFL wanted. Abrams was setting up an ANH Vader-counterpart, or comic-book supervillain; their antagonistic role as a conflict-starter and enemy came first and foremost, while his character arc was a distant second. That isn’t a problem *if* Rey is a Skywalker. He can have a pathetic reason for being evil, be a completely brainwashed non-entity, or just a bad kid; he’s secondary to the “real” Skywalker in that scenario, and there’s just a lot less weight on his shoulders.

It *becomes* a problem once Rey isn’t a Skywalker and LFL desperately wants Kylo to be the male lead *and* the family story standard bearer, but is blind to how he’s inadequate for that role now. Then he suddenly goes from simply needing to be an adequate villainous family member to trying to bear the weight of the entire family story, and the male lead role alongside Rey, with a villainous air as well… and he’s just not built for that, and LFL doesn’t realize it.

If you’re echoing the OT and Vader with Rey as “the Luke” and as a Skywalker, then Kylo’s developed enough for the right dialogue in the second film to explain his inadequacies and move on. But if you’re echoing the OT *and* the PT with Kylo as the “Anakin and Vader and Luke”…. Then yeah, it’s not enough.

20. sian1965

sian1965 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 26, 2020
    What he was doing was what he did with Star Trek - erasing everyone and replacing them with his own versions/new characters.

dinnertime and christophero30 like this.
  21. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    And it was done by design too. SMDH

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    And not even explained well. What was explained in the comics was ‘pity Kylo because nothing is really his fault,’ not why he continued committing the evil acts that he supposedly can’t be held responsible for.

23. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    The Honest Pitch Meeting for TFA is hilarious. I never realized how much it copies ANH [face_laugh]
    "That's really good they are going to humanize stormtroopers. it really makes you see stormtroopers in a new light."
    "How do they get away?"
    "They kill a bunch of stormtroopers. They have a little stormtrooper murder rampage." :)

24. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Did you ever see the movie? /s/

christophero30 likes this.
  25. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Oh, this one? Yeah, it's gold.