main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Kyp Durron: Endangering Fangirl Marriages Since 1994

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by MRukundo, Apr 5, 2001.

1. Princess_Cambria

Princess_Cambria Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2021
    Well, I don't know about you, but I'm 29 and holding, and holding... ;) lol

Sinrebirth likes this.
  2. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Well, now I'm imagining Din Djarin and Kyp dealing with some Imperial remnant and chatting, and the talk about Carida going a bit... differently than Kyp might think it would.

"So I flew to Carida and... used the Sun crusher to blow the sun up and destroy the system."

"Nice job, kid! Way to take it to the Empire!"

"I killed my brother..."

"Okay... that's not the Way."

3. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    'I accidently killed my brother!' - that was not his intention!

Princess_Cambria and JediAvatar like this.
  4. JediAvatar

JediAvatar Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 11, 2020
    I think the reaction to Kyp destroying Carida is really strange when I think about it. Haven’t read JAT, but he was body jacked by Exar Kun right? So he had little to no agency. It could be said that Exar Kun operated like the One Ring in this scenario.

Anyway back to the point. Why are people so annoyed that he destroyed the system? According to the Jedi Academy Sourcebook, every person on Carida was military. Other sources like Soldier for the Empire and later sourcebooks contradict this, but given the JAT sourcebook came out first, and was written as a tie in to the trilogy, it should be taken as the official source for this subject. It doesn’t get discounted because later writers didn’t do the proper research.

Anyway, given that the Empire is hated by many people across the Galaxy, where is the outcry of support for Kyp? Realistically, most people (particularly alien species the empire enslaved) would view Kyp as a hero, and someone who actually took the fight to the empire. Honestly I can’t fathom why every character is annoyed at Kyp. They love to preach their own personal ethics (which is understandable), but let’s be honest, the average New Republic citizen / average alien who have been deeply effected by the evils of the empire really wouldn’t care about the ethical side, and would want to give Kyp a medal.

It’s like if someone blew up a training camp with a million nazi soldiers during WW2. I doubt anyone would shed tears for dead nazi soldiers. And the same applies for the empire since they’re space nazis. I’d say 1 in a million stormtroopers are genuinely good people. Han Solo being one of them.

Honestly the double standard with some people is annoying. Luke killed over a million Imperial people and no one bats an eye. Kyp kills Imperials (granted a lot more) while body jacked by the spirit of a Sith Lord and everyone gives him a hard time.

I love Corran, Mara, Leia and all the other characters that happen to criticise Kyp, but honestly, Kyp had a much tougher childhood than any of them. At age 7 he and his family and planet were taken away by the empire and made to be slaves in the spice mines of Kessel. Imagine how traumatising that would be for a 7 year old. Speaking of traumatising, at age 9 his parents are killed and he is all alone in the spice mines as a slave for the next 9 years. Anakin Skywalker had his mum and an actual home, Kyp had none of that. So his hatred for the Empire is completely justified.

Another important thing to note is that Carida is the only planet in the Carida system with intelligent life, or any life for that matter. Every other planet is just barren rock or a gas giant.

Finally, Kyp destroying Carida dealt a massive blow to the empire and their war effort. This likely caused the war to end years earlier than it would have if Carida had been left alone and been able to pump out new stormtroopers, which would have meant many more New Republic soldiers losing their lives.

So basically, Kyp killed millions of space nazis and saved the lives of millions, if not billions of New Republic soldiers by destroying Carida.

Okay rant over :D

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Lots of stormtrooper trainees are conscripts- basically, slaves of the Empire. Kyp's brother springs to mind. So "everyone on Carida had it coming" doesn't really work - even if you assume that every member of the Caridian species had been inducted into the military.
    Stuff gets retconned - that's just the way things work. Once a retcon's been made, generally speaking, it doesn't get "un-retconned" again.

Regarding Carida's contribution troops to the Empire - at that point, it had basically gone independent, with Furgan despising all the Imperial warlords and seeking to wage war in a more sneaky way, by murdering Mon Mothma and plotting the kidnap of Anakin Solo, to set him up as a new Emperor. The narrative doesn't really paint the loss of Carida as "tearing the heart out of the Imperial Remnant". Stormtroopers, at least theoretically, can be trained on almost any rugged world.

Kyp not being a soldier but a Jedi trainee gone renegade, makes his actions less excusable, in the eyes of the New Republic leadership at least.

Luke's action was carried out in the middle of a war, against a more more overt military target and threat, on the orders of his superior officers - whereas Kyp's was unambiguously, vigilantism. Plus Carida wasn't directly menacing any New Republic worlds with a superweapon, the way the Death Star was with Rebel worlds in ANH. It wasn't till quite some time after its destruction that Furgan's attempt to poison Mon Mothma was revealed.

In the Legendsverse, the destruction of Alderaan brought many to join the Rebel Alliance in outrage. The idea is that destroying worlds (as opposed to warships, and war-space stations) is seen as an epic-scale atrocity - that causes extreme revulsion - so the Rebels never try to do that to the Imperials in return - they claim the moral high ground in that respect.

Regarding Kun's involvement - the way it's portrayed in the novel, Kun has no particular interest in Carida - that's entirely Kyp's interest, in his vendetta against the Empire. Kun might be stoking Kyp's rage a bit - but he's not forcing Kyp to do anything at that point. Hence Kyp issuing a "Hand my brother over or else" ultimatum, then attacking when they attempt to capture his ship.

Kyp's guilt for causing the death of his brother - the whole tragedy of that arc, doesn't really work if he's being controlled like a puppet throughout the scene.

Which is why my favourite Kyp story is Simple Tricks:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Simple_Tricks

where he owns his responsibility, and is full of remorse.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  6. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Cannot argue, in my mind he has remorse and when 'reminded' of it he generally accepts it. Certainly doesn't brag about it.

Princess_Cambria and Iron_lord like this.
  7. Irredeemable Fanboy

Irredeemable Fanboy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 27, 2020
    I actually ship him with Dorsk 81 lol but that will never happen.

There's also this girl he meets in Simple Tricks called Fen (Fenig Nabon is her full name apparently) they had a nice chemistry together by the end, and it seemed like they could go somewhere with it, but right when it seemed like something like that could develop, Kyp said goodbye and they never met again (as far as we know).

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    Adalia-Durron and Iron_lord like this.
  8. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    He's mine I tell you :p

9. Irredeemable Fanboy

Mar 27, 2020
    I just found out Feign was actually Han's age (and i mean exactly Han's age, born 29 BBY) i guess that sinks my secondary ship...

@Adalia-Durron Maybe he IS yours. But you're just lucky Dorsk 81 is dead!

Adalia-Durron likes this.
  10. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Told you............all mine and I found him in 1989, have had him for 32 years now, and he's aged with me! [face_love]

11. Irredeemable Fanboy

Mar 27, 2020
    The best kind of love story!

JediAvatar and Adalia-Durron like this.
  12. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Yeah, he got old with me, bet he didn't get fat though :p

Irredeemable Fanboy likes this.
  13. Irredeemable Fanboy

Mar 27, 2020
    Nah, of course he kept in shape, he's a Jedi, and a proactive one at that.

He did get... uhhh, unlucky with artists in recent years though, they make him look like either a hobo or Qui-Gon's crazy uglier cousin.

Which doesn't make sense because he's supposed to be attractive.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  14. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    I wish I could draw..........I know how I see him.

Someone else sees him as I do.......

15. Irredeemable Fanboy

Mar 27, 2020
    I have a very specific appareance of him in my head,too, and i do draw, just... not very good, not enough to make him justice at least hahaha.

Also i always found it weird how they made him blond in this comic cover, like, why?
    [​IMG]
    They made him Luke Skywalker Jr.

If it wasn't for that i would love that cover, though, it is very detailed and has all the members of the original JAT students in action.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  16. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Nope, wrong. Always been dark, almost black in my mind. That's just wrong

17. Irredeemable Fanboy

Mar 27, 2020
    I have no idea what went wrong there, it's baffling.

18. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    And in a tragic twist of fate Kyp fell into a vat of bleach........turning his glorious dark locks into insipid blonde.... :p

Irredeemable Fanboy likes this.
  19. Irredeemable Fanboy

Mar 27, 2020
    Luckly Cilghal was around to manipulate the molecules of his hair to make him regain his original glorious color, too bad it caused some side effects, such as an ever-changing eye color :D

JediAvatar and Adalia-Durron like this.
  20. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    LMAO [face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl]

Eventually they settled on a vibrant green with gold flecks.........yeah? :p

21. JediAvatar

Jun 11, 2020
  22. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    WHOA! YOU READ MY FAN FIC!?!?! I'm..........stunned. Thank you! [:D] [face_love] Wholesome...........yeah, I guess they're capable of that :p

JediAvatar likes this.
  23. JediAvatar

Jun 11, 2020
    No problem, it was an enjoyable fic :D
    I really like that Adalia is a force sensitive but doesn’t have any interest in becoming a Jedi and decided to stick to piloting.
    Kyp attempting to teach her some force skills would make for some great interactions.

Also I was wondering, when you came up with Adalia Durron, did you always intend for her to be a force sensitive, or were you ever thinking of making her non-force sensitive?

24. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    She was born in 2003 in my mind, I was watching a TV show about the suffering children in Africa, a pretty little girl was named Adalia and I remember thinking, 'what a pretty name', then at the end of the show, after much heartache and tears, little Adalia died. I was heartbroken and the name was stuck with me. I'd read the books and was already utterly infatuated with Kyp, so when I joined the boards here, it was clear who I'd be. She was always Force sensitive, at the start I wrote a few fictions where she did a bit of training but I discarded that as I got older and decided she was never meant to be a Jedi, but is pretty strong in what she can do.. I do like your idea of him giving her pointers as such. Addie doesn't like to be told.......especially by him, so it could make for some very interesting situations. :p

Thank you for reading, that was the Fan Fic Olympics and I smashed all the stories out in 24 hours! :eek:

25. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Well she is a Jedi in the Guardians of the Light isn´t she? ;)

Also I tend to come up with names for some of my OCs in a similar way.