main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Lando Lando's not a TV Show, he's a FILM.

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Todd the Jedi , Dec 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I'm beginning to expect this film to be a Lando version of SOLO. We might get an intro sequence that establishes where he came from and what motivates him to do what he's going to do later on, then jump forwards in time to a couple of years after SOLO. During the adventure that follows, he'll join forces with Han and Chewie and we'll learn why Lando is upset with Han later on. By the time the credits roll, Lando will have taken over Cloud City.

2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Even Bob Iger himself has admitted that this was the big mistake, and it was his mistake, as Kennedy was strongly advocating for delaying release until Christmas. She was right. And it’s one of the main reasons I don’t judge Kennedy for delays and cancellations. I think her instincts are good, and run counter to the standard studio practice of rushing products out before they’re ready. The only mistake in that context being the initial one of rushing the TFA production.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2024
  3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I get that they seem to want to move more of their original content back into being theatrical movies, which I’m mostly OK with, but in this case I agree. A big reason is the Calrissian Chronicles that they had Lando doing in Solo; that was a perfect setup for an episodic series.

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Donald Glover was easily the best part of Solo (which I didn't like much at all) so I hope there's a movie with him as Lando.

Nom von Anor likes this.
  5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Retired Superninja star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 31, 2012
    Since Solo I’ve really wanted Lando and his mother’s relationship explored. We don’t usually get that relationship in Star Wars. I like to envision his mother being some hugely famous performer throughout the galaxy which gave him his more theatrical personality. Whatever he gets himself into in the film he gets his mother wrapped up into it somehow.

TCF-1138 , Bor Mullet, Sarge and 3 others like this.
  6. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    An excellent idea!

7. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Yes. A movie just doesn't feel right. And in all honesty, I genuinely think it will be turned into a series. It’s kind of tailor-made for one.

EHT likes this.
  8. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I think its most defo gonna be a movie. It will benefit Disney more than a series.

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    A 2016 release for TFA would have been better. And TFA isn’t a bad movie. I like it a lot. But maybe giving them more time to cook the script would have been better. I mean Disney bought it in October of 2012. They threw out George’s script and started from scratch and had just 2 years or less to complete it and start the sequel trilogy.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  10. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    2 years is more than enough time really.

11. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    I agree with the release thing. Over saturation wasn't an issue when people expected high quality content. Two Star Wars films a year was a beautiful notion before the writing quality took a dive (mostly speaking cinematically not taking a hit at Mando). This idea that we can't have more than one SW film or MCU film a year, per Bobby, is new and IMO stems from misunderstanding the reason people are losing interest. You write two great scripts for a annual release....word of mouth will do the rest. Perhaps comic book films I can understand this considering the competing brands within the genre but even then....if they are GOOD you won't have too many problems selling them. Just my opinion of course.

That being said at this point within the brand's lifespan I do agree with one film a year for SW. But I don't think that always needs to be the case if when down the road new leadership comes onboard and they wanna go for it. I believe it absolutely can be done and done well if you bring in the right people and let them bring about their vision.

12. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Oh, yeah? Walk us through the reasons.

13. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I don't really think Star Wars is a film series that attracts people because its high quality. The prequels had a bad wrap for years but Star Wars still always did very well. heck they re-released TPM in 3D and my theater screening had a pretty large amount of people from what i remember.

14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    This is what I’ve been saying since the show was announced.

15. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I shouldn't have to talk you through the time span of 2 years. It might feel like it goes super quick. but its actually a very long time.

16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Oh. I thought 2 years was precisely 2 years long. But you’re saying it’s longer than that?

17. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Its approximately 24 months, 730 days of work.

18. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Retired Superninja star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 31, 2012
    I know. You copied me but that’s okay. It happens a lot. :p

Bor Mullet likes this.
  19. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    They didn't start from scratch. Plenty of stuff developed by Lucas and then by Arndt stuck around in some form, as did some of the conceptual designs. Nor did they just have two years to do the movie. JJ Abrams was announced as director in January 2013, and had been involved before that, so the time spend on developing the movie under his control was the usual three years. What went rather quickly was finishing the first draft of the new script done by Kasdan and Abrams after Arndt had left.
    There is also to take into consideration that the reason Lucas took three years per movie, was because he could only do one movie at a time. He couldn't really work on AOTC until TPM was out and the marketing campaign had been over, same with the move from AOTC to ROTS, so the actual development time was shorter than three years. He was also rather leisurely in terms of work over the first few months, largely thinking of ideas or looking at some designs, not so much nailing down the plot in its entirety.

Not sure what more time would have done for TFA either. By the time they had finished the first draft of the script they were still months away from shooting the movie, and thus had quite a bit of time to polish it afterwards. There is no real reason to spend time on a script just for the sake of spending time on writing the script. If they felt they were ready - and they clearly did - spending more time wouldn't have helped. There isn't some pre-defined time you must spend writing, nor does writing longer necessarily offer a better outcome, it can in fact have the opposite effect as well.

Seeing the overwhelmingly positive reaction the movie got out of the gate, it seems it worked just fine. The largest criticisms that have appeared over time are not something a polishing of the script would have fixed anyway. Polishing is about refining dialogue and trimming some fat, finding a better flow for the scenes.What it cannot do, is fix a general design that was made that way on purpose. For that you would need a re-write, which they clearly saw no need for.

20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    [​IMG]

21. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    This exactly, is what I also imagine a Lando production to be...

PymParticles likes this.
  22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Onscreen results would seem to indicate otherwise.

23. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    I think SW and Empire definitely attracted people because of high quality. RotJ too at least on first watch prior to realizing Ewoks were a thing.

24. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Audiences don’t go and pay to rewatch films because they think they are crap/low quality… TPM 3D re-release did pretty well despite original criticisms… which kinda tells you the delta between a perception and the reality. Even the ST, which I think are really poor Star Wars films, have great production values etc. and are made in a style that appeals to the sensibilities of modern audiences. It’s why, IMO, the ST has little replay value, but people don’t go to watch them thinking they are going to watch a bad film… it’s the people who don’t go back that think they are bad (see drop in box office between TFA and TROS).

25. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Star wars is escapism. Thats likely its main draw. Which is why fans seem to often hate everything Star Wars but still cling onto it. Otherwise people would have given up on it years ago.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2024