main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Index LEGACY Comics Index and Discussion ~~The End Of An Era~~

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Legacy_Index, Oct 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I liked flawed heroes very much but they have to have some good qualities too, I don't see any in Cade. He does seem to have some deep routed need to fix dilemma's of his own creation, but he last showed signs of benevolence in Broken. Too long ago for my tastes.

Cade is all about Cade, that I get, I just wish more of the other characters in the comic didn't keep looking for the good in him 'cause I don't see any there.[face_peace]

2. RebelGrrl

RebelGrrl Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2006
    Some of the other characters are looking for what they need to find. That doesn't necessarily mean it's there. It's part of their character arcs to either find it, or come to the realization that it's not there to be found. Then they will have to decide what to do about the situation in either case.

Not every character thinks that Cade has an inner core of goodness. Jariah accepts Cade as-is. Fel and Draco want him put down or put away. So does his half-sister. I'm pretty sure the entire One Sith isn't on a quest for his heart of gold either. His own mother was only concerned that Cade not be completely subsumed by evil and become Sith. She certainly took no actions to put him on a more stable path, only took action to get him out of the hand of darkness. Nat seems to feel sorry for Cade but doesn't act much to change him. In fact, his uncle seems to enable his current path.

Saazen wants Cade to be good and be a symbol and a rally point for the Jedi. Deliah wants to fix what's broken in Cade. Those are the two primary forces seeking to find and release the "good" in Cade.

3. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    I wasn't aware that Gunner had any thoughts on Cade at this point;)

4. RebelGrrl

Jan 13, 2006
    Okay, an exaggeration on my part, but Gunner wants to take down the Mynock, which she was forced to stop going at on Coruscant. She seems the type to hold a grudge ... :D

5. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Actually Nyne/Corde is a really interesting character to me, just becuase we're not really that sure where her loyalties lie. She doesn't want Cade to become a Sith but would she be against having him as a part of her little Empire? Emperor Skywalker perhaps? I'm just not sure which character is more her, Moff or Bounty Hunter?

6. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Can I remind everyone that a spoiler tag includes both the hl tag and the colour tag? I know the default font colour is usually black, but it isn't always. For example, the font colour for this banner is a dark green and without the colour tag it'll just be dark green text on a black background, so spoilers will still be visible. I like to mix things up as black is boring, but I always use the same colour for the highlight and the colour tag. If everyone could remember to use both tags that would be awesome. Thank you. :)

7. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Sorry, I didn't realize that the discussion was spoiler sensitive or I would not have participated.

Because #34 has been out for several weeks thus I thought I was safely past the point of spoilers. If I could go back and HTR my discussion points I would, alas I can not.

So a guess my question is this....is there any discussion of Legacy that doesn't constitute a spoiler warning here? Am I to cater to just recent issues or everything after the Broken trade paperback. Where is this line drawn? Are we to HTR every bit of discussion?

Just wondering cause I think I'm confused :confused:

8. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    We HTR discussion of the current issue for one week past the release date.

The reminder of how highlighting works is useful when page backgrounds change, however.

9. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Robimus: Like karebear said ? we only HTR convo about the most recent issue for one week after the release. After that, everything?s open for non-HTR discussion. Release dates and spoiler periods are posted in the ?News & Links? section in the first post of this thread. [face_peace]

Going back to talking about protagonist vs. hero ? this is something that John O. talked about in his writing class: The protagonists and antagonists are not necessarily the heroes and villains. Cade is the protagonist, but he?s not the hero per se and I agree with what Gabri and RebelGrrl said in that Cade may never become the hero of the story.

Which leads to what I?d like to throw out as a discussion question:

Who do you think the hero is in Legacy?

10. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Morrigan? [face_batting]

Seriously, she has so much going on that the reader isn't privy to yet that I wouldn't be the in least surprised to find her both the puppetmaster to the whole thing and as much of a hero as Legacy sees.

Other than that, who knows? Legacy's awesome about having a whole cast thoroughly immersed in shades of gray. :D

11. RebelGrrl

Jan 13, 2006
    I don't know that there is just one hero or a main hero, even.

I consider Deliah Blue to be a hero.

Stazi is a hero. The Mon Calamari who are fighting for the survival of their species are heros. The Imp Knight Sinde (sp?) is a hero.

12. karebear214

Sep 7, 2002
    I'm with RebelGrrl. I don't think there is just one hero, and I don't think that the main characters are heroes, at least as classically defined.

I think everyone in Legacy has their heroic moments, and that's one of the things I love about this series.

PS, I decided to respond to UDC4 with Legacy Drabbles (all Legacy all the time this time, for as long as I can keep it going). They can be found here.

13. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Trace and Karebear: OK, so #34 had been out over over two weeks so no problem right? I don't wish to spoil anyone so maybe I'll just highlight everything from now on, cause I'm still confused :oops:

Heroes in Legacy: I still think we as readers are being pushed toward Cade as the hero, though I agree he isn't even remotely heroic. Characters are very willing to always give him the benefit of the doubt, need him to save the galaxy, so on, so forth. Deliah constantly forgives him for every mistake, as do the Shazen, Nat and Shado. Even Krayt needs him to save the day, as did Celeste Morne, as did Azlyn with the Rahkghoul disease.

There is far to much forgiveness toward Cade, just my opinion[face_peace] , and he appears to be the only character capable of saving the day. Maybe thats why I love the stories that don't have him in it so much, because I'm burned out toward him. No one could stand up to Krayt, or defeat Nihl or Talon except Cade Skywalker.

The story through my eyes is screaming that the only one that can defeat Cade Skywalker is Cade himself, and maybe thats what John is aiming for. It still strikes me a as slightly belittling for the other characters in the story. Outside of being a headcase, Cade is perfect in every way. He is Superman, only without Kryptonite.

As far as I'm concerned the heroes in the story are the Imperials plain and simple, with maybe a nod to Stazi. The feeling I get though is that Legacy is a story designed to have no heroes, thus why I feel like I'm still being directed toward Cade at this point.

I'll see[face_thinking] , John is an excellent story teller and maybe this is going a direction I can't predict. I'd just love to see someone give Cade some of what he gives to others......:)

14. RebelGrrl

Jan 13, 2006
    The only one who can defeat Cade is Cade himself... from a certain point of view.

The same way that the only person who can defeat me is myself, and you is yourself, etc. We are each our own worst enemies. Cade is his own worst enemy.

Now, I'm still waiting for an issue or an arc where R2-D2 saves the day. So far he's been a co-pilot, mechanic, messenger, fruit-bearer, and pancake flipper. Let's see R2 kick some tail again!

15. karebear214

Sep 7, 2002
    OMG, I think that's it!

R2-D2 is the Hero of Legacy!

16. sonnymyson

sonnymyson Jedi Master star 3

Dec 7, 2004
    R2 is the hero of the entire GFFA. And he and Azlyn can just let the meatbags go now. [face_devil]

17. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Robimus: Trace and Karebear: OK, so #34 had been out over over two weeks so no problem right?

Correct. The spoiler period for #34 ended on April 1st, so no need to highlight anymore.[face_peace]

And, although I am a Cade fan, I agree with you that he needs a reality check. A big one. Maybe a reality checkbook - one of the old, hardback, heavy ones. Don't quote me - I could be misremembering - but I'm pretty sure John O. told me that Storms will be a "learning curve" for Cade. I'm apprehensively hopeful.

I really can't pick a single hero, either. There have been heroic acts by characters like Kol, Sia, Jaius Yorub, Morrigan, Deliah, Stazi, Azlyn, Sinde - but even they all have issues and have made choices that are polarizing. I'll agree that this is one of the things about the series that keeps it awesome - we never know what will happen next.

And one of these days, Artoo is going to skool somebody. You know he is!! [face_mischief]

OMG, that is so wrong. [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

18. RebelGrrl

Jan 13, 2006
    R2-D2 is sooooo the gun over the fireplace. The one the camera pans over just so you know it's there when the protagonists need it. You know it's going to get used when the Indians or the rustlers or the banditos strike. And yes, the old westerns weren't very PC.

I've been itching to see when R2-D2 is going to be taken off the hook.

19. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    It's not so much that as the way spoilers are highlighted. With just a highlight tag the text is still dark green and therefore still visible. I just want people to use the [color] tag as well so that the text is the same colour as the highlight. That way spoilers will always been hidden.

I have mentioned this in Comms but I don't know if a spoiler tag will be added. Until it is added both a [color] and tag will be needed at all time, regardless of whether the default text colour is black or not. As this layout proves, it is not always blacks and a lot of people forget this.

20. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Yes I see where your coming from now. My monitor is so 1990 that I didn't even realize that I could see through the black highlight, still can't:p, but I do see what you mean.:)

21. karebear214

Sep 7, 2002
    I finally got my hands on #34 (I know, I know, behind as always), and I gotta say I really like this issue. It's good to see our buddies on the Mynock again, and I really like the way Cade and Deliah's relationship is developing in a believable way. Bantha's great too. I like the art. Syn looks particularly good in this issue.

And the idea of Azlyn in a Vader suit... Holy cow! I never ever would've seen that coming. I can't wait to see how Cade reacts. Or for that matter, how she reacts. It's this kind of thing that sort of highlights that the old-style Jedi may have had a point regarding attachments. At some point, you've just gotta let it go.

And Trace, I love you sig. A perfect description of Legacy!

22. karebear214

Sep 7, 2002
    Is it weird that as I thought about how Syn, Cade, and Blue interact while I was working on my drabbles, I found myself relating them to the Turk/JD/Elliot dynamic in Scrubs?

23. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Ok, first, let me throw myself on the carpet and have a full-blown temper tantrum out of jealousy that you can even say the words that you had a writing class with John O.

Now that THAT'S taken care of...:p

Cade may be the protagonist, the character through whose eyes we readers experience the story, but he's definitely an anti-hero. But there are glimpses of good in him. He is redeemable. If he wasn't, then we readers would not be able to identify with him. He's like the Mel Gibson character in the Lethal Weapon movies. You keep waiting for him to get his act together because you know it's possible, but he keeps getting in his own way.

And let's not forget Jabba's skiff cocktail waiter, Tatooine farmhand, and usher at Anakin's wedding. (Must have been some bachelor party, considering Anakin's groomsmen.)

24. karebear214

Sep 7, 2002
    A reminder that this Saturday, May 2, is International Free Comic Book Day 2009.

It's a great way to get new potential customers into comic book stores, and a great excuse (as if we needed one) to head there ourselves, meet people with similar interests and strike up a conversation, and get to know your local comic shop owners.

And you can get your hands on comic books. For free.

Spread the word.

25. Musing

Musing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2003
    Re: Issue #35

Cade is even dumber than usual - he forces Jeriah to be the voice of reason, or "the adult," as Syn puts it. [face_laugh] His stupidity's also affecting Deliah - she actually thinks she can keep Azlyn from beating on Cade. :rolleyes: Cade is a total loser. I can't wait for the day he gets his comeuppance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.