main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comics Legacy comics readthrough thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by OutsiderJediSam, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    It's not so troublesome when you consider that Vergere and Lumiya conspired to isolate Jacen and turn him to the Dark Side. Vergere went to Baanu Raas solely to ensure Jacen's capture and subsequent torture to open his eyes to Sith thinking. Her faking a reaction to Anakin's fall to further ingratiate herself with Jacen doesn't seem too unbelievable when you consider everything else she did.

After all, everything I tell you is a lie....

[​IMG]

Gamiel likes this.
  2. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Since it is a flashback from a SITH LORD, who was being tortured, I am inclined to think he is not a reliable source. People like to quote that line from Vergre, but Kraty is MUCH more of a lier than her.

So I just think he is wrong/mistaken.

3. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Hmm, maybe, I think the much plainer explanation out of universe is just incongruity which makes me cringe. She was such an unneeded addition to that scene/flashback.

4. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Would that include that statement itself? Else everything she was saying wasn't a lie. If that was the truth, if that was a lie, then was she telling him the truth?

Its an inherently paradoxical statement, whose purpose was for Jacen to come to his own answers.

Xander Vos likes this.
  5. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    My memory by now is quite vague but I still remember those as golden years, when the Knights of the Old Republic and Legacy comics were both ongoing series with no end in sight. Legacy in particular seemed to have like a dozen plots up in the air by then. Then something happened behind the scenes and both series were cancelled.

I remember that it was somewhere around... 2010? Somewhere around there was when we got solicitations of issue 50 for both series which proclaimed that they were the "FINAL ISSUE!". KotOR had wrapped up most of its main plots (although the author JJM has over the years mentioned other plots he had been preparing so he hadn't been planning to end at 50 issues either) but the end of Legacy's run definitely felt very abrupt. And War just felt really rushed and compressed due to their rush to wrap things up.

Oh yeah, I remember that coloring error. If I remember right, it was always meant to be Deliah but there was some miscommunication somewhere which is why it ended up looking like Marasiah. They were an interesting pair (Cade and Marasiah) in that both had some of the biggest legacies to live up to. Too bad they only really had one conversation in the entire run though.

Ugh, Vergere. Didn't like her cameo here, but I think Dark Horse was just lining up with what Del Rey was writing at that time, that Vergere had always been an evil Sith, ruining many NJO scenes. And I guess they just had to include a Sharad Hett reference somehow and she was a convenient character to bring him up. Well, it is a Sith Lord flashback being told to Cade but Krayt wasn't the most manipulative Sith (though he would up the evil later) so he might not have been lying to Cade. Krayt was just going to fall back on breaking Cade later on anyway.

Xander Vos, Doompup, AusStig and 3 others like this.
  6. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Does anyone else NOT like Sharad Hett as Darth Krayt?

(plue hat man runnign the jedi while all of the Lukes trainees are dead)

7. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    *A'Sharad Hett. Sharad Hett was his father.

Ghost and Gamiel like this.
  8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    That's something I rather dislike. Legacy's Jedi Order have two Jedi Masters from the old Order (who are Dark Horse characters) among their leading triad, one who is from a species that earlier was established that they don't live that long. And this with no real references to any of the Jedi/student from Luke's order - no Dorsk 93; no old master Jysella Horn; no really ancient master Kyle Katarn with a 3 m long Beard; no Lusa who is unexplained alive (if it works for hat man to just be unexplained alive, should it work for her); no Lowbacca (who as a wookiee do naturally live really long); no members who show signs of being from Dathomir; no jedi master referring to themselves as ones have been padawans to Luke's students; etc.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    kalzeth, Golbolco, Nobody145 and 3 others like this.
  9. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013

I loved A'sharad as a Jedi and loath him as Darth Krayt... terrible choice ruining a character. Totally out of character for him.

SWpants and AusStig like this.
  10. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    They were too worried about boxing in potential plot lines for the novels. In hindsight it's needless given what happened, but they couldn't have known at the time.

11. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    It gets worse later on, with Legacy seeming more like a Republic comic sequel rather than post-NJO series. Some of it can be chalked up to avoid overlapping with Del Rey (never know when Del Rey would start killing off the Horn kids given their track record) but not even a mention of a Solusar or even Durron felt like a missed opportunity.

And then they had to involve Obi-wan too. Obi-wan's record with Sith Lords is actually kind of awful (didn't finish off Vader, Maul kept coming back and then he accidentally set up the eventual Darth Krayt). Its sad seeing A'Sharad turn out like that too.

Originally I don't think this series planned for much Jedi or even a major Galactic Alliance presence at all. Which is possibly why the Hidden Temple felt tacked on (a refuge so secret that Wolf Sazen, student of Kol Skywalker, had no idea about it, and K'kruhk didn't feel like telling them about it until the ceiling fell on them). You can tell from #0 the main factions were meant to be Cade/fringe, Roan Fel/Imperial Knights and then Krayt/Sith/Empire as the main antagonists. Stazi just turned out to be really popular.

I was hoping the balance of the series would work itself out with time (with how the Jedi and GA plots gradually met up with the IK plot) but the series didn't get that time unfortunately.

12. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    I'm only up to issue #32, but it is feeling a bit ramshackle so far. I think it could have been served with having a book trilogy prequel series, or some sort of accompanying material to really flesh out the era.

13. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Hett as Krayt makes sense in that it gives him a personal vendetta against the Skywalker family.... but it doesn't make sense with the character in the Republic comics.

If you had to pick a surviving Jedi from the Clone Wars to become a Sith Lord 160 years later, and who is a pet character of the Ostrander/Duursema-verse, it's Quinlan Vos that makes the most sense.

IG: @jedisufism

kalzeth, Golbolco and Gamiel like this.
  14. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I think Hat Man is our fault. We turned him into a meme here and JO and JD responded to that and we ended up with Hat Man running things.

But mostly I think @The2ndQuest is to blame for this frickin sweet mess of a character decision. :p

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    That's a lacy excuse. You don't really box in potential plot lines if you just establish that a character will survive, nor by having somebody referring to a character as their ones master or that one of Luke's Jedi gets a child/grandchild that becomes a jedi. If that's their logic than they did box in potential plot lines for the novels or comics where hat-man and sexy-tree-lady died by having them alive in Legacy-era.

Especially with Quinlan's constant dancing at the edge of the dark side (and walk over).

17. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    Yes, but the whole point of that character was that he danced as close to the dark side as possible without falling.

kalzeth and BookExogorth like this.
  18. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    And you can't have Quinlan as the main opponent to Quinlan 2.0.

Sent from my SM-G390W using Tapatalk

Jedi Knight Fett and kalzeth like this.
  19. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I think my biggest gripe with Legacy is stylistic. It looks too much like the Quinlan Vos arc, which itself looked kind of out of place in Star Wars. By which I mean, many of the characters, especially female characters, were dressed in the kinds of form fitting outfits common in superhero comics that you dont really see in Star Wars films.

That and a lot of ship designs, specifically GA neo-X-wings and Jedi neo-X-wings dont look like advancements on the T-65 at all, but something more fitting in a pre-film era.

Which also gets to some of the problems with DOTJ, as well, since a lot of Jan's concepts in eras set millenia apart are way too uniform with each other.

Gamiel and BookExogorth like this.
  20. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    I really disliked the concept of Cade Skywalker and the whole drug addict angle.

What I would have loved to see is a different conflict: What if Kol Skywalker had left the Jedi behind for his love, Cade's mom, and went back to the Empire with her. While a Jedi at heart he joined the Imperial Knights to be close to her. Leaving a disillusioned Jedi Order without the Skywalker lineage and having to find its place alone, facing the Sky-Solo clan that is entirely on the "other" side of politics and ideology now without being dark.
    This backdrop may then lead to Cade unwilling to conform to imperial ideals to seek to go back to the Jedi against his parents wishes. He may disagree with a Skywalker lineage in power in most governments and royalties like Hapes, the Empire and the like. Just as he intends to leave, the Sith strike and kill his father and he does not know if his mom survives. As the Jedi had been hit likewise, he then seeks survivors and is a loner in the galaxy meeting scum and villainy as we knew he did to survive. But without drugs.

21. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    You took the words right out of my mouth. Reading this, after broken, with hat man and treelady running the jedi and Darth Krayts reveal. It just felt so disconnected with NJO. I would have put Lowie in hat mans place, made Darth Kraty either Jacen or to have him NOT be just another fallen jedi, make Darth Kraty Maarek Stele https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Maarek_Stele.

I mean the whole, fallen jedi becomes Sith had gotten a bit stale by then (one thing I like about the lost tribe is that they WEREN'T this and had a functioning culture) so seeing a Sith 'untainted', as it were by the jedi would have been cool, I would also make Darth Wyyrlok 1 Mas Amedda (he does call Palpatine master in RotS, so the option is there), to both link it into Palpatine (make the One Sith a dark legacy of the old Empire while the felpire is a good one)

I admit I never liked Stazi and found him to be an @$$, he tries to kill an unarmed negotiator in his first appearance and then HE FIRES ON HIS ALLIES TO PROTECT SITH LOYALISTS wtf. So I never liked seeing him, I also didn't like they dropped Sia to make more room for him. As I don't think things would have come together much more.

The guy murdered two people one in a hot blooded rage the other he just assassinated, that is pretty dark. I mean that is as many as Anakin had killed when he became Darth Vader. So Quinlan did fall, but I like to think he was able to pull himself out of it with help.

Still I will say this, unlike Cade Quinlan had an ARC. Cade changes VERY little from begining to end, so I tired of the novelty quickly.

I don't mind him having a drug problem (it is an issue in real life) I just wish they had done more with it.

Gamiel and Golbolco like this.
  22. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I think they could have shown Cade kick the drug habit once he decided to complete his training. Until that point, much was made of him using to keep the voices of Luke and Kol at bay and deaden his connection to the Force. Drowning his pain and sorrow and trying to escape the legacy he was literally being haunted by made sense early on. It just wore thin, and they decided to keep Edgelord Skywalker around through the conclusion.

Gamiel, Golbolco and AusStig like this.
  23. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    And that's not even getting into their later Quinlan 3.0. Not to mention how they gave Quinlan a happy ending already (and his girlfriend and his master and his master's girlfriend) post-RotS.

Cade's drug habit was dragging on. I was hoping that if Cade had kicked it by say issue 50 and then the series had gone on to have a 100 issues then it wouldn't look like it had taken that long but of course the series got cancelled at issue 50 instead.

AusStig likes this.
  24. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Yeah if I could i would like this more than once.

I think Legacy and Cade in particular suffer from the Lack of Sia after Broken. She was a very good foil and balance to Cade. Without that Cade NEEDED some serious character development.

Who is Q3?

I mean even 50 issues is a lot. It doesn't help that unlike KOTOR legacy lost it's focus, a little after Broken and really badly after Krayt died. 50 issues is more than 2 years, so for 2 years Cade has barely moved as a character.

25. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    Curiously, during its run it was praised as a much more fitting NJO sequel than LOTF (with stuff like not ignoring the YV).

kalzeth likes this.