main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comics Legacy comics readthrough thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by OutsiderJediSam, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    For me Ania Solo is why I loathe the ST!
    The one Star Wars character that emphasised what I love about Star Wars and they let an appallingly bad fan fic utterly destroy a billion dollar franchise because they don't understand the concept of a sequel movie!
    The worst part is that the cast did an outstanding job given people like that mess!
    I watched Solo, would it have hurt to fire Rian instead of Miller & Lord and let Ron Howard save their arse?

AusStig, kalzeth and Jedi Ben like this.
  2. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I would disagree, but in a good way, as I feel like Legacy is the story that best captures the blending of OT and PT aesthetics, characterization, worldbuilding, and storylines to feel like a true successor to both trilogies (in a way the actual movie ST has not really). Which is ironic considering Legacy was one of the first post-PT works, and still one of the only to so successfully achieve that blending.

3. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Legacy is very much like the OT, except in the ways it isn't.

AusStig likes this.
  4. Battlehymn_Republic

Battlehymn_Republic Jedi Master star 2

Oct 6, 2007
    As someone who hasn't read the prequel era comics, I disagree about the Jedi. At least Cade's immediate comrades seem unique- Wolf is a wuxia/ronin-style one-armed warrior and the the same species as Darth Maul(!), Shado uses a two-sided lightsaber which usually is the province of Dark Jedi/Sith... like Darth Maul, K'Kruhk has the whole magic hat going for him, though I guess he's a prequel era character. But yeah, color-wise, like with the Sith, they look all a little too uniform and drab.

I would've liked emerald robes to make a comeback alongside the unique Corellian Jedi order, but that's my own fanon.

Legacy was a reconstruction and reboot that happened to exist within the same continuity. Quite a feat. Also the hype at the time was praising it as "Star Wars for the post-Firefly era!" which is corny but sort of true.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    kalzeth and Jedi Ben like this.
  5. Exactly Legacy was the perfect combination between OT and PT It's a shame that the sequels could not do something similar

Legacy was very fun to read I wish there was more material from that era

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2019
    kalzeth likes this.
  6. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I wish we had gotten more details on the sith-imperial war. Rather than just the broad strokes.

AusStig, kalzeth and Xammer like this.
  7. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Ah this is what I was after! @ColeFardreamer

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    ColeFardreamer and AusStig like this.
  8. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Now a legacy read though?

kalzeth and Xander Vos like this.
  9. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    Oh my mistake, I signed up only to find the digital issues aren't available. :(

10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    What?? Really? Ouch.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  11. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    "We all know what my ancestor would do. Master Skywalker would gallop up to the Coruscant alone, break the Sith with his lightsaber, and ride through the rubble to slay Darth Wyyrlock with his left hand and the Usurper with his right. I am not Luke Skywalker. But we will march, and we will free Coruscant… or die in the attempt."
    "Veed, Stazi, Darth Krayt, they're all thieves. They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them."
    [​IMG]

Nobody145, Robimus, AusStig and 4 others like this.
  12. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
  13. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    That's the third or fourth person I have seen to make the Roan-Stannis comparison.

I do wonder, if there is was any inspiration back and forth there.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    Ghost and Havoc123 like this.
  14. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I don't really see any similarity tbh.

15. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Stannis-rightful king
    Roan-rightful emperor
    Morally grey characters, with people pulling them in varying directions. Both were exiled, forced to flee from usurpers.

Havoc123 likes this.
  16. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Roan Fel even has his own Melisandre - Maladi. They have a similar ending in both the Legacy comics and the GoT TV show too.

Vialco and Darth Invictus like this.
  17. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    They both believe they're the lawfully rightful sovereign, and they're both opposing one who they consider an usurper, that's true. But beyond that? Roan isn't pulled in varying directions at all, and Stannis was neither exiled nor forced to flee in the sense that Roan was. I suppose they're both ~morally grey~ but so are many of the other characters in their respective settings. Everything else about them is completely different, though. Completely different backgrounds; completely different personalities; completely different circumstances; completely different, like, everything.
    Maladi and Melisandre and their respective relationships with Roan and Stannis are completely different, though. The only similarity is "lady who suggests doing bad thing". I don't see how their endings are similar at all either, beyond "died after doing/trying to do bad thing."

18. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    Also they both start with an M. This may lead people to have a bias towards noticing similarities and dismissing differences.

Trip likes this.
  19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I would not say Roan is morally grey, he is evil, he's just fighting against the Sith who are often more evil and are open about what they are.

Robimus, Vialco and Trip like this.
  20. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Yeah there's also that. In the books at least (can't speak to the show, didn't watch relevant seasons) Stannis for all his flaws is still a "good guy," at least for the moment. Roan, by the end, is... very much not.

21. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    I'm sorry, I just went and checked, and Legacy is 100% available and on Marvel Unlimited. In fact, I read the Vector issues of it today.

EDIT: Anyway, Roan Fel was a war criminal who committed acts that made him worthy of execution in like his first couple of appearances, when he massacred his captives on Bastion.

Xander Vos likes this.
  22. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I would say the characters follow a generally similar archetype-that of the wronged exiled monarch who walks a path between virtue and evil. Stannis as far as the books are concerned, hasn't "fallen" yet and Roan did. But I think there are some definite broad similarities. You might say Shireen burning is potentially similar to Omega Red. But we shall see how the books handle that.

Another quote from Stannis I found that can be transferred to Roan-"I shall bring justice to the galaxy. A thing Moff Veed understands as little as he does war. The Muur Talisman would gain me naught... and it was evil, just as you said. Calixte must pay the traitor's price herself, in her own person. And when I come into my throne, she shall. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest moff to the lowest womp rat. And some will lose more than their ranks, I promise you. They have made my empire bleed, and I do not forget that." *

From a poster named Azrubel on Spacebattles.com, I found it striking and fitting.

*If crossposting this sort of thing is not allowed, any mod can feel free to inform me and I will delete it.

AusStig likes this.
  23. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I mean, that quote right there just underscores how completely not at all similar they are, as characters, because a) it's not something Roan would ever say and b) it's a legacy mad libs that doesn't even make any sense. Like... Roan never repented wanting to use the Muur Talisman. He was perfectly willing to work with Calixte when she switched sides. And also the two have nothing to do with each other?

Even your archetype doesn't fit. "wronged exiled monarch who walks a path between virtue and evil"-- Stannis was never actually the reigning monarch, nor was he exiled; and Roan doesn't walk the path between virtue and evil so much as avoid being overtly evil because he knows it'll look bad and his Knights will get pissed at him until he just can't be bothered to keep up the pretense any more.

They just... they have completely different personalities? Like so completely opposite that it's hard to think of two characters more diametrically opposed to each other? Stannis is cold, aloof, judgemental; while he's proud, he isn't boastful or swaggering; he's unable and unwilling to deal with people and their failings, such that he has difficulty inspiring genuine loyalty; he has rigid moral code. Roan on the other hand is mercurial, cocky, prideful; while he can be an extremely cold fish he can also turn on the warmth and as such inspires intense loyalty in his subordinates. He's great at meeting people where they are and manipulating them; he's extremely flexible, as is his moral code (to the extent that he has one). Like... literally the only thing they have in common is that they want the throne they consider rightfully theirs. But not even that motivation is quite the same: Stannis wants the throne out of a mixture of grievance and duty, and as the story goes on that sense of duty moves slowly toward eclipsing all else. Roan wants his throne back because he hates the Sith and also it's HIS birthright, dammit. Roan has more in common with Renly than he does Stannis.

Robimus and comradepitrovsky like this.
  24. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I'd say they still have general similarities. And I am not the first to notice them.

As it is, they are very general similarities. Krayt for example has no ASOIAF analogue, neither does Cade Skywalker.

Changing the subject, I wonder what an extended legacy would have looked like?

With the same general plot, but going on 200 or three hundred issues?

25. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    Interesting timing reading the first issue of Legacy before seeing ep IX.

AusStig, Sinrebirth and kalzeth like this.