main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lightsaber Combat in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Canyon D, Dec 16, 2015.

1. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Well, yeah, I would argue that's ultimately why the Dark Side isn't the way to pursue the Force. As Yoda says, it's quicker and easier to tap into your anger to make you feel powerful, but it's hard to sustain for very long (because it's an emotion that's inherently temporary) and unbalances you while you are, for want of a better word, intoxicated.

I think that may be where they're going with Kylo in the ST. He murders his father and you can see he almost expects to feel powered up in that moment, but I don't think he feels any different. As we move forward, I think we might see Kylo haunted by that moment and being sad about killing his father instead of revelling in his hatred for himself (rather like Vader hated himself for what happened to Padme). It would be neat if that was Han's legacy moving forward, that by touching his son's cheek and forgiving Ben, he essentially robbed Kylo of his hatred and guilt, emotions that were supposed to fuel his Dark Side.

2. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
  3. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Hm... It wouldn't surprise me if Kylo has visions of Han's death similar to those that Anakin has about Padmé. Instead of being haunted by the possibility that the visions will come true, he is haunted by what has happened and how it affects him.

oncafar likes this.
  4. Wind Rider

Wind Rider Jedi Knight

Dec 28, 2015
    Hmm. You know something? The more I watch the teaser for the "The Last Jedi", the more I wonder if Rey indeed channeled some darkside energy in the last moments of the duel. Daisy has a pretty menacing face: gritted teeth and ferocity. Not to mention she has a look of almost enjoying the moment. Was that intentional? Who knows...

But this teaser could already be telling something... Or perhaps nothing.

Sarge likes this.
  5. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
  6. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

According to the novelization, she was on the edge, but backed off before the chasm separated her from Kylo Ren. It'll be interesting to see how the movie plays or messes with that.

7. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    In the movie, it appears at least very likely that Rey might satisfy her righteous fury before fate intervened. There's no indication that she caught herself and backed off before the collapse of the planet separated them.

8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Title update and bump. This is now the thread do discuss all lightsaber action scenes in the ST so far - Finn vs TR-8R, Finn vs Kylo, Rey vs Kylo, Rey and Kylo vs Praetorian Guards, and Luke vs Kylo.

Discuss!

[​IMG]

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  9. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001

I'm just going to break down the fourth wall and discuss it from a non-fantasy stand point. I think it's important to note that this gif is slowed down compared to real time of the scene, and that is going to make choreography appear more like choreography. As for all three attacking the blade at the same (sorry, can't find the gif at the moment) that was very much rehearsed.

Why do they chose the choreography that they did? They are coordinating eight people flying around with sticks, two of which are very heavily insured actors. They chose things that would look good at full speed while minimizing injuries.

Cave of Erised likes this.
  10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Thanks, TCF-1138!

TCF-1138 likes this.
  11. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    I just realized that the only lightsaber duel in ST/Anthology was Kylo vs Rey/Finn in TFA.

12. eko32eko7

eko32eko7 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2018
    Acknowledged and understood. I appreciate what it is that I suspect you are attempting to accomplish with this post, but the explanation provided does not impact my opinion. I am quite underwhelmed by the results, regardless of what logistical considerations determined the circumstances that influenced the final product.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    wobbits likes this.
  13. deathfromabove

deathfromabove Jedi Master star 2

Feb 18, 2007
    This.Its really the only fight that qualifies as an actual lightsaber duel.Unless a fight has lightsabers clashing with lightsabers,then it is NOT a lighsaber duel!

Speaking of which and im sure it been mentioned many times on the forum but since im here,the duel at the end of TFA was the point that i knew that i REALLY hated the film.It was absolutley ludicrous that Rey,with no lighsaber training whatsoever,would last any more than a few seconds against a trained former Jedi like Kylo.Yes, i know they tried to justify it with Kylos injury ( Him surviving this was ludicrous enough ) but im sorry it didnt make the fight any less ridiculous.Rey was the strong female lead and they had to have her win because....feminsim i guess?

Look at it this way,if Luke had gotten into a full on lightsaber fight with Vader in ANH,how long would he have lasted? Exactly.

Having said that,i do think the praetorian guard fight in TLJ was pretty awesome.

14. eko32eko7

Jan 10, 2018
    I don't understand about the common interpretation of Kylo's injury making him weaker. Wouldn't his pain and his anger have amplified his strength through the Dark Side?

15. deathfromabove

deathfromabove Jedi Master star 2

Feb 18, 2007
    He got shot by Chewies bowcaster which is shown earlier in the film to basically be a grenade launcher.Putting aside the craziness that Kylo is still breathing,let alone walking and fighting,he is clearly shown to be badly bleeding.This was clearly done by the filmakers to make it seem that Rey and Finn would actually have a fighting chance against him in a duel.

16. eko32eko7

Jan 10, 2018
    OK; so... why is he hitting himself, then? I assumed he was hitting himself to enhance his pain so that pain would feed his strength. I must have really mis-interpreted this scene, I guess...

I was under the impression that part of embracing the dark side was that your anger, fear, hatred and other "negative" emotions feed your strength. I thought Kylo's strength would be enhanced by his injury, the pain of having killed his father and his hatred of Finn, the traitor... All of this should have made him stronger, not weaker.

Did the filmmakers deliberately ignore this or were they oblivious to the this dynamic of the dark side?

wobbits and godisawesome like this.
  17. Birkendoc

Sep 20, 2001
    I always interpreted it as he was trying to do anything to tap into the dark side at that moment, but the fact he was bleeding out and injured was a bigger factor in that moment. And that is why he was the weaker opponent in that battle.

And then there was the niggling light side still pulling at him after his father's death. So yeah, a lot of darkness getting negated by fatigue, a major blaster wound and the lightside. The filmmakers didn't ignore force lore. There were other factors in play.

18. eko32eko7

Jan 10, 2018
    Apparently, I'm not the only one with this interpretation...

19. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    @Birkendoc has the right of it overall, with Kylo att meting to increase his power via pain (like in that old Darth Maul book), but was suffering from the twin issues of blood loss and a broken Force-using mindset. The latter especially is emphasized by the way he forsook his Force Freeze attack for a simple Force Push on Rey, then struggles to pull the lightsaber to him after wounding Finn.

I *personally* love the "fight psychology" in TFA, since I think the entire fight is built around the idea that, while Kylo is the superior combatant in experience, skill, and strength, his self-destructive choices and personality have whittled away at those advantages to give Rey a chance -- he's unfocused and in turmoil in his dark side connection after killing Han (which might imply his dark side connection is actually stronger the colder he is emotionally, making his punching effective only in the short term), getting gut shot by Chewie, then toying with Finn long enough the ex-Stromtrooper manages to tag his shoulder with the blade. And even after all of that, Rey is still outmatched enough that if Kylo isn't taking it easy on her to try and capture her alive and if he doesn't remind her of the Force, he beats her. But because he's taking it easier, Rey connects with the Force and manages to further whittle down his strength and focus with some wounds, then manages to barely win the contest of strength (which Kylo loses in part because he's wounded on both arms from Finn and Rey.) The "rougher" choreography also fits here by helping increase tension and emphasizing how Kylo's the *only* fighter with any expire me, and even he's injured.

Now, I might argue that the Praetorian Guard fight has weaker pschology in place because the story is a little bit simpler to tell, but I'd argue that most of it is creative and entertaining... Save the opening exchange when they're back-to-back, and it's a bit too convenient that the PGs are striking with an impotent though coordinated attack. The strength of the scene is in the chaos and mad medley of quick exchanges where the actors and stunt men get to add some character to their movements; the less conveniently coordinated the PGs' assaults look, the better the choreography seems.

Sarge likes this.
  20. Birkendoc

Sep 20, 2001
    Good spectacle, low risk with this type of choreography. It would be a disaster and weeks lost had Daisy or Adam broken a hand in the melee. And it is hard wrangling 8 people with swinging sticks and make sure no one gets hurt in the process.

21. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Yes, but since the two characters in the scene both have Force powers, it wasn't necessarily obligatory that we get something like the three staffs descending at the same time; have either character use a force push on the oncoming guards, and you can lower the amount of characters who make it to them at the same time, which would also serve the purpose of keeping safety in mind.

I don't have a problem with the rest of the fight; it's just the *very* first exchange that makes me go "meh, that could have been done better."

22. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Basically every single action movie is concerned about the safety of its stars. Many, many movies have had 8 or many more combatants fighting at the same time.

It's a weak excuse.

eko32eko7 and wobbits like this.
  23. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I’ve noticed :p

I love R1, but I was initially skeptical due to the lack of Jedi/lightsaber dueling. With Solo, I’d accepted it but I still can’t understand LF’s strategy with the anothologies. Nor can I understand producing a saga film without a real lightsaber duel. You take Jedi out of SW, you take dueling force users out of SW, and all that’s left is generic sci-fi. Generic sci-fi movies don’t make $1 billion so I don’t get it.

wobbits likes this.
  24. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I did not like the movie but I dare to say that this was certainly not bad. Maybe not perfect but not bad.

This was bad (especially Master Obesity in the middle):
    [​IMG]
    However it was so colorful and action packed that I actually see it as one of my favorite scenes (the whole sequence)

I think "bad" is a bit different than "bad or not perfect after reviewing and analyzing it 1138 times"

Cave of Erised likes this.
  25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I cannot believe I am just connecting this but is there evidence of that monstrous wound on him when Rey is being lured by the impressive results of his ab crunches?