main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC Lightsaber

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by shoney, Feb 15, 2014.

?

Which Lightsaber Form would you use?

1. Form I (Shii-Cho)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Form II (Makashi)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Form III (Soresu)

33.3%
  4. Form IV (Ataru)

33.3%
  5. Form V (Shien/Djem So)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Form VI (Niman)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Form VII (Vaapad/Juyo)

33.3%
  1. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Hilt: Form V favoring, standard hilt. Something like this:
    [​IMG]

Blade Color: Something of a faded, or bright blue. Like Luke's lightsaber in ANH:
    [​IMG]

Form: Form V focus on Djem So, with some Form III adaptions.

2. ChefCurryWindu

ChefCurryWindu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    Hilt: [​IMG]
    Luke's Hilt

Blade Color: [​IMG]
    Purple like Windu.

Form: Mixture of Djem So/Soresu, mixing offense and defense. I'd also love to be a practitioner of Vaapad.

3. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Soresu is my favourite form, and the one I would adopt.

4. Lord_Onveh

Lord_Onveh Jedi Master star 1

Mar 10, 2009
    Hello everyone,

Now I know some things are best left unexplained. Or sometimes it's best to leave things how they are. Still, there has always been one thing that I absolutely loved in the novels that was completely absent in the movies.

Lightsaber Forms.

Episode 2 The Attack of the Clones seemed to be the most setup orientated of the prequels. Sure, you can argue that the prequels overall are setup for the originals and that each move sets up the following movies at least to an extent, but I stand by Episode 2 preparing the audience for Episode 3.

The Clone Wars is formed, Anakin slaughters the tusken raiders foreshadowing his fall., etc etc. So one thing I would have loved is if Lightsaber combat was elaborated on a bit more. There were so many duels in Episode 3, that knowing a bit about what they were doing, feels like it would've done wonders.

Did George Lucas know anything about lightsaber forms? I don't mean did he know what Soresu and Djem So is, but more of did he classify anyone as 'offensive lightsaber duelist' and 'defensive lightsaber duelist?' Just a basic separation between what makes one person a better duelist than another.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't George Lucas classify Yoda, Sidious, and Windu as a 10, Obi-Wan as an 8, and Anakin and Dooku a 9? I thought I read that somewhere.

I believe that Episode 2 could've been the perfect place for such things. Oh Anakin thinks he's a better lightsaber duelist than Yoda? Why? Did he do something incredible with a lightsaber one time, or master some kata that was difficult? I know he was just showboating, but there had to be some reason.

I do know that they can't just stop the movie and go into a deep explanation on each lightsaber form, but maybe a few hints here or there would have been enough. As it stands all we have is that when people duel with a lightsaber, you might win, or you might lose.

Could they? Should they have? Would you have liked it?

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

5. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    I'm no expert on sword-fighting techniques but I do believe he considered Anakin more aggressive and offensive and Obi-Wan more defensive and patient as we see that translate in the movies. He called Windu, Yoda,Sidious,and even Anakin all level-9 swordsman. Obi-Wan was an 8!

Edit: I suspect Anakin was level-9 once he was in RotS

6. KaleeshEyes

KaleeshEyes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2016
    I don't really like the ideas of lightsaber forms, and thought the duels in Ep III were better to some extent than those in the previous films because they were scrappier and more passionate. While you can argue over technical fighting ability, I don't think it should really come into play much in the films. In the OT the duels were not a test of sword fighting ability, they were to do with clash of personalities and ideologies and so on, and are emotional as well as visual climaxes.
    Luke's defeat in Empire showed he was not ready to take his place as a Jedi, and his victory in RotJ showed his ascendancy over his father, brought on due to his passion and belief. The duels in those two films showed the emotions of each character very well. They are a story telling device.
    In the PT the duels were an end in themselves, and I though lacked passion or emotion. The TPM duel is only emotional because Qui-Gon was killed, and the actual fighting was devoid of any sort of passion, just pitting two nearly matched sides with flawless choreography. The AotC duels show a mismatch in ability, but again the passion is missing.
    When you get to RotS you get the passion back. Sidious just goes for it against Windu, and as a result shows his passion for his cause. The fighting is less than perfect, but there is emotion there. Obi-Wan and Anakin just go at each other with disregard of style or technique because it is a clash of personality, good vs evil. Lightsaber 'form' does not matter.
    Think back to Empire. Luke initially fights conventionally, and I would say is slightly outclassed in terms of technique. But when Vader threatens him technique goes out the window. He just wails on Vader until he cracks. He is no longer defensive, but quite offensive, and Vader is shocked into submission. Nothing to do with his 'form', and everything to do with his passion. That, I feel, is what was missing from the PT in the lightsaber duels. They are a storytelling device in which the passion and emotions of the fighters is expressed. Technical perfection removes the emotion and should not be the focus.

DarthCricketer and Sarge like this.
  7. DarthCricketer

DarthCricketer Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2016
    You mean Return of the Jedi right?

8. KaleeshEyes

KaleeshEyes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2016
    ****. Yes I do. Another argument for proofreading one's comments.

9. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I never liked the lightsaber forms presented in the EU. They felt more like fan fiction than anything else.
    The lightsaber forms as they were described felt like something that wouldn't be out of place in a role playing game, or Mortal Kombat: Star Wars Edition (Masters of Teräs Käsi maybe [face_thinking] ) - they were never convincing as martial arts.

I'm glad they are never mentioned in the movies.
    Again, I'm glad it was never said what they were doing, since only Kung Fu movies and The Princess Bride gets away with that. All the information we need is presented in the duels themselves.
    We see that they are not all fighting exactly the same, and that's all that is needed - film is, after all, a visual medium.

ConservativeJedi321, Sarge and oierem like this.
  10. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    In broad strokes you could tell that Obi-Wan plays it defensive and Anakin is all about raw attack and so on and in that sense I don't think naming the forms and quantifying them is necessary. It tends to reduce it to rock-paper-scissors stuff when that's not really what it (should be) about. That said it's interesting to think of the different philosophies underlying the mentality of the styles chosen.

11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Good thread - however, since the concpt of discussing saber forms encompasses more than just the PT, I am going to move it over to SW Community for further discussion.

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  12. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Merging with the SWC lightsaber thread.

13. Celidore

Celidore Jedi Knight star 3

May 2, 2015
    Lightsaber colour: purple
    Hint colour: white
    Style: one blade

14. Royalist

Royalist Jedi Youngling

Aug 27, 2016
    So I brought a lightsaber and I was thinking if every lightsaber is powered by a kyber crystal what powers a kyber crystal.

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The crystal itself was not the power source - a perfectly ordinary "power cell" is the source. The crystal exists in order to convert the power, into the blade - which is basically plasma enclosed in a force field.

How it does it is uncertain - probably in some sci-fi-ish manner.

Royalist likes this.
  16. Royalist

Royalist Jedi Youngling

Aug 27, 2016
    interesting! stuff cheers man!

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Merged with existing Lightsaber thread.

18. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    If had a lightsaber I would want it to be a simple blade. Something without much ornament, like Ki-Adi Mundi, or Aayla Secura's. It would have a green blade. Personally I'd probably fight with Form II or Form III. Because while flips and cartwheels are fun and cool, I'd rather be more elegant, simple, and outmaneuver my opponents.

The lightsaber as a weapon of the Jedi and the Sith are fascinating weapons. I would love to wield one. I like the color coding, green and blue for Jedi, Red for Sith. I feel it makes things seem nicer, more organized. When their are lightsabers of every color I personally think things look ridiculous. But some slight variants such as the double blade, and Dookus curved lightsaber are nice as they show that the lightsaber still is custom, unique to the user. Fun thread!

19. Darth Kronos

Darth Kronos Force Ghost star 6

Jan 2, 2016
    Single bladed, red or green lightsaber.

Form VII because of its sheer rawness to it. It would be fun as hell to bash the dumbass foolish enough to pick a fight with me.

Form II because of the gracefulness to it.

Form III because you need a defense.

20. Conkhead_12

Conkhead_12 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 28, 2016
    Single white bladed lightsaber.

Adapted for a speciality in Soresu, but can Vaapad with it if necessary.

Form: Soresu, Vaapad, Niman

21. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Good thing that's not what they're about, then.

This is mostly how they're used.

:rolleyes:

22. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Type: Standard lightsaber with interchangel pommels (one straight, one curved)
    Blade color: Green
    Primary Forms: Djem-So/Shien, Soresu, Niman. It's so difficult to pick a primary form. Really the only form I would mostly want to stay away from is Ataru. I have always seen it as too labor-intensive. There are plenty of ways a force-wielder can stay agile and maneuverable in battle without resorting to such acrobatics.

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  23. Togrutan_Sith

Togrutan_Sith Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 8, 2016
    For hilt, I'd use the Temple Guard nunchuck/double-blade thing
    [​IMG]
    It wouldn't make a difference if it were any other double-bladed hilt. It's just eye candy when they flip it into a staff.
    For color, one blade would be blue, the other green. Infused with dark energy, but the color not corrupted, just like Exar Kuns.
    I'm acrobatic (not that I practice it, but I'm naturally agile and good at gymnastics), so that'd be worth form 4 (also my favorite number).

24. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    I noticed that, when you google darksaber, no one has the saber "glowing black." Does that make sense? A darksaber, in my opinion, should darken its surroundings, much like a lightsaber lightens it's surroundings.

I think I have found a hole in the internet.

25. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Black and silver hilt.
    Yellow blade.
    Form I.