main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

BTS Lucas Quotes and Interviews about the starwars saga.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Keeper_of_Swords, May 22, 2004.

1. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 4

Oct 1, 2012
    That pretty much sounds exactly like the sequel trilogy that I was hoping for.

2. Alexrd

Alexrd Force Ghost star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Here's the full transcript of this part.

3. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    And here's the full context of that screenshot.
    [​IMG]
    THE CHOSEN ONE

George Lucas: When writing the movies, I tried to make sure that aliens and droids got killed, but not people.

Paul Duncan: A lot of stormtroopers died.

George Lucas: That's right, but you didn't know they were people. We did kill three humans and that was unfortunate. I was always bothered by it.

Paul Duncan: When was that?

George Lucas: On the Death Star, when Han and Luke go into the prison with Chewie to rescue Leia, they shoot three Imperial guys. The guards drew their guns and fired first, but it's still a shame.

Paul Duncan: Really?

George Lucas: Yeah, we very consciously didn't kill very many humans in those movies.

Paul Duncan: What about the stormtroopers? They look robotic, but they're not.

George Lucas: How do you know what they are?

Paul Duncan: Did you have a different idea of what they were?

George Lucas: Yeah, they started out as clones. Once all the clones were killed, the Empire picked up recruits, like militia.

They fought, but they weren't very good at what they did.

Paul Duncan: That's why they kept missing.

George Lucas: That's why they kept missing. Then after the Rebels won, there were no more stormtroopers in my version of the third trilogy.

I had planned for the first trilogy to be about the father, the second trilogy to be about the son, and the third trilogy to be about the daughter and the grandchildren.

Episode VII, VIII, and IX would take ideas from what happened after the Iraq War. "Okay, you fought the war, you killed everybody, now what are you going to do?" Rebuilding afterwards is harder than starting a rebellion or fighting the war. When you win the war and you disband the opposing army, what do they do? The stormtroopers would be like Saddam Hussein's Ba'athist fighters that joined ISIS and kept on fighting. The stormtroopers refuse to give up when the Republic win.

They want to be stormtroopers forever, so they go to a far corner of the galaxy, start their own country and their own rebellion.

There's a power vacuum so gangsters, like the Hutts, are taking advantage of the situation, and there is chaos. The key person is Darth Maul, who had been resurrected in The Clone Wars cartoons—he brings all the gangs together.

Paul Duncan: Was Darth Maul the main villain?

George Lucas: Yeah, but he's very old, and we have two versions of him. One is with a set of cybernetic legs like a spider, and then later on he has metal legs and he was a little bit bigger, more of a superhero. We did all this in the animated series, he was in a bunch of episodes.

Darth Maul trained a girl, Darth Talon, who was in the comic books as his apprentice. She was the new Darth Vader, and most of the action was with her. So these were the two main villains of the trilogy. Maul eventually becomes the godfather of crime in the universe because, as the Empire falls, he takes over.

The movies are about how Leia—I mean, who else is going to be the leader?—is trying to build the Republic. They still have the apparatus of the Republic but they have to get it under control from the gangsters. That was the main story.

It starts out a few years after Return of the Jedi and we establish pretty quickly that there's this underworld, there are these offshoot stormtroopers who started their own planets, and that Luke is trying to restart the Jedi. He puts the word out, so out of 100,000 Jedi, maybe 50 or 100 are left. The Jedi have to grow again from scratch, so Luke has to find two- and three-year-olds, and train them. It'll be 20 years before you have a new generation of Jedi.

By the end of the trilogy Luke would have rebuilt much of the Jedi, and we would have the renewal of the New Republic, with Leia, Senator Organa, becoming the Supreme Chancellor in charge of everything. So she ended up being the Chosen One.

4. CampOfSorgan

CampOfSorgan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2020
    They should get all of GL's detailed outlines for his Sequel Trilogy versions, and make them all into comics.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  5. Alexrd

Jul 7, 2009
    It's so sad to see people taking the Leia is the chosen one quote out of context. It's clear what Lucas is trying to say, and it has nothing to do with the prophecy.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  6. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    This is what the author of the book had to say about this which is similar to my own reading on it. Of course she's the Chosen One to rebuild the New Republic, she's always been the character who has the bigger picture in mind, not necessarily about the Jedi prophecy but then again who knows what GL would have done if he fully developed the ST farther than in treatments.

Paul Duncan
    "At the end of a war everything is broken, and society needs to be put together, and healed so that it can work again. The Chosen One is the person who brings balance by achieving this."

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    Count Yubnub likes this.
  7. Alexrd

Jul 7, 2009
    Exactly, it has nothing to do with the Chosen One of the Jedi prophecy, which is Anakin (conceived by midi-chlorians, destroyed the Sith, brought balance to the Force). Leia was to be the "Chosen One" that would restore the Republic, and the galaxy, back to normal.

It would be liking taking that "Jedi are the light side" quote out of context and say that the Jedi = light side of the Force.

Count Yubnub and CampOfSorgan like this.
  8. oierem

oierem Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    The problem with those quotes is that they lack context: Lucas is (I'm assuming) talking about the ST ideas he developed in 2011-2012. Those ideas were not around when the PT was made (back then, it was "the story is over, there are no more movies"), much less when the OT was made (there were other ideas for a possible ST).

Another thing to keep in mind is that there's always a long way from early ideas to the final product. If you read about early story ideas for SW or Empire or Jedi (or Raiders, or any other film), there are many elements that evolve and change. As Lucas often says, movies take their own life. Therefore, we shouldn't assume those ideas would remain unchanged in a finished product by Lucas himself.

Anyway, I have to say, I don't like many of the story elements that Lucas talks about. But the thing I like least is how that new story would change SW from a "happy-ending fairy tale" to a more realistic and cynical kind of story of "what happens after the war", which is more similar to stuff like Game of Thrones. For me, Star Wars was, is and will always be a positive and optimistic story about good and evil with a happy ending, a moral fairy tale that makes you feel good about life.

On the other hand, it's interesting to see Lucas' personal evolution, from the optimistic OT, to a more dramatic and negative PT, and then to a more cynical and realistic ST.

darthfettus2015 and CampOfSorgan like this.
  9. Alexrd

Jul 7, 2009
    I'm not sure how that's a problem. Nobody said all of these ideas were around when he was making the PT or the OT. They don't contradict either, which is expected. I do believe the mythological reality of his cosmology didn't change though. And if there's something he left unfinished, it's that. Not a story post-ROTJ.

Wether they would change, and by how much, only Lucas can tell. But that's irrelevant. What we should assume is that these are as close to his vision for what happened after ROTJ than anything else that's been done or will be done. Outside of him making the movies (which unfortunately is impossible), this is the true continuation of his world and story.

And from the looks of it, that's still what we were going to get. The trilogy would have an happy, positive and optimistic ending.

I don't get any Game of Thrones-esque vibes from Lucas' description of what happened. I do get some his Underworld series mirrors.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  10. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Another excerpt from the news Star Wars Archives book.
    [​IMG]